The Running Thread - 2018

@Bree @Dis5150 Oiselle has lots of great bottoms with pockets! I love the pocket jogger capris and they just released pocket jogger shorts...in two lengths! Or, if you prefer a loose short the toolbelt rogas and (my personal favorite) the long rogas are great. I can't stand anything around my waist and I am never without my phone. The pocket joggers and long rogas hold everything and stay in place (they have drawstrings just in case). Message me if you are interested in a referral discount.

Their products look awesome; thank you for sharing! How do you find their sizing?

QOTD: We have not had a good chafing discussion in a while. Who experiences this problem and what do you do to prevent it?

I've been very lucky so far since getting back into running - no chafing issues! I have heard that using deodorant can help, so I've used it on my thighs during the summer when I wear shorts. I only wear capris or longer on runs for this exact concern/I'm more comfortable.

QOTD: Today we will have two questions, which will become clear on why there are two in a second. You are welcome to answer both if it applies though.

1. Ladies of the running thread, what type of running bra's do you find to work best? Brand or structure, ect...

2. Guys, do you run without a shirt during warmer weather? Any advantage to doing so?

I have a few sports bras that I swear by. One is from lululemon and is called the energy bra ($52) and is advertised as a medium support for b/c cups. I have this in two colors and will gladly buy more. From lulu I also have the tata tamer, but I find this too constricting/tight, and theres another, but I can't remember what it's called and can't find it on the website.

Recently, American Eagle's loungewear line Aerie has been killing it with active gear. Got some great sports bras from there that are high neck and very comfortable. Super surprising. Unfortunately, they aren't currently selling the style.

When I look for a sports bra, I want it to be functional and stylish. I wear a lot of tank tops where the sports bra is visible (and when I get to a point where I'm comfortable - I'll run in just a sports bra) so cute is important to me. Recently I've been choosing a lot of styles that are strappy in the back. Very much like the energy bra from lulu.

I was in a rush before and didn't have time to add to the bra question. I really like Nike sports bras with the padding--great for absorbing the sweat. I do long runs and races in those. I have a couple of Moving Comfort that I like, but man those have no stretch. I feel like a body contortionist every time I have to put that thing on. I also have Under Armor, Adidas, New Balance (just got that and really like it), C9 from Target (those are older and used mostly for non-running exercise). Nike girls Large or XL also work, but I found they don't keep things locked and loaded as much as women's. I love Nike girls running shorts--same thing as women's but kids clothes are cheaper!

A better question would be what regular bra brands do I wear? No clue because I wear a sports bra 95% of the time! I work out in the morning, shower, and put on a whole new clean running outfit. I am always ready for a run.

Question 2: Not quite the question, but I run shirtless (with a bra!) often--ONLY on my basement treadmill. Nope, just can't do it outside, too self conscious.

At middle school cross country, there is always the small group of boys that love to take their shirts off. They will do it when it is 40 degrees outside. They aren't even running continuously because of the workouts the coach has planned. I don't know how they aren't freezing.

ATTQOTD about chafing: While TMI can be difficult to navigate, it is something that needs to be navigated. I occasionally get mild nipple chafing on long runs (anything over 6 miles). Thankfully, when it does occur, it's a pinprick at best. I suspect if I ever start training for a marathon, it will be a serious problem. However, thus far I've had good luck with nipguards to prevent the issue. Bodyglide there helps a little though not much. I also get chafing under my armpits and in the usual thigh areas. However, body glide tends to solve the problem before it becomes a problem.

ATTQOTD about shirtless: Pretty sure no one wants to see me run shirtless. Besides that, I have two options when it comes to being out in the sun. Wear sunscreen or find myself the color of Mickey's shorts. And that's a very painful option, so sunscreen is my friend.

Their products look awesome; thank you for sharing! How do you find their sizing?
There is a link to their size chart on the individual product pages, just under the available sizes. Sizing can vary for some styles, so be sure to read the reviews. Oiselle is a great company!

Is there a Facebook/Strava/Some other network Group for people following DopeyBadger training plans. I seem to remember seeing a post in one of the threads about it, but searching hasn't turned anything up.

There is a group on here thru private message. I don’t know how to add people to it though. @MommaoffherRocker might have to add you?

I’d love to be included in a group as well! I’ve been trying to follow along with training journals, but end up getting sucked in and reading them for hours instead of doing household chores LOL!!

There is a link to their size chart on the individual product pages, just under the available sizes. Sizing can vary for some styles, so be sure to read the reviews. Oiselle is a great company!

The Oiselle website says Track Shack’s Orlando retail store sells their stuff. I might take a ride over there and check it out!

The Oiselle website says Track Shack’s Orlando retail store sells their stuff. I might take a ride over there and check it out!

I'd suggest calling Track Shack to confirm they have what you're looking for. I've been burned any number of times heading to the store based on the mfr website only to find out the store either stopped carrying the brand or just has a very small subset of the items and not what I'm interested in.

QOTD: Do you have a journal on this site? If so, do you keep it up to date? Do you have a journal at home that is more than just data collection (Garmin connect, Strava, ect)?

ATTQOTD: I do have one, but rarely get a chance to keep it current. Outside of that journal, I do not have anything else. I look over Garmin a lot and try to look at Strava from time to time. I like looking at both the short term and long term trends on the Garmin site.

On a personal note, work is crazy at the moment. I am lead on a project and people are under performing on it. I have been asked by my boss to update him on how people are doing on it, so I have. Well yesterday the rumor started that layoffs are coming. I believe I am safe at the moment, but to be over confident of that would be foolish on my part. I do feel bad for the people who are being watched as it seems they have no idea or either dont care. Trying to cover for them would also turn out bad for me, so I find myself in this weird situation that I cant say I like. The construction industry is brutal folks.

QOTD: Do you have a journal on this site? If so, do you keep it up to date? Do you have a journal at home that is more than just data collection (Garmin connect, Strava, ect)?

So ... I have a journal on here and a "journal" (ie spreadsheet) on my computer.
My journal on my computer is a basic log of all my runs - date, time, duration, length, pace, splits, notes, etc. I mostly update that and leave it there, but I also sometimes use it to compare runs (I'm really bad at remembering how my last few runs went, so I'll often go back and look at the last few runs and compare them. Or sometimes if a run felt more uncomfortable than I expected, I'll go back and find the last time I ran that distance close to that pace and see what my notes were on that run). It's mostly data collection, but a little more.

My journal on here (shameless plug) is about coffee. It used to be about races, but now it's about coffee, and nobody minds.
I didn't really have anywhere where I keep track of what races I want to run and what my plan was for each race, so I decided to start a journal to keep track of that (and to get input from others on my plans), especially because I'm starting to run more races. I mostly post about my race schedule, plans for the race, and a little bit of a training overview for each race. Occasionally there will be a random training post thrown in just because. And there's always lots of chat about coffee because I love coffee (and so do lots of other people on here).
If you like coffee and/or reading my rambles, come join the conversation!

Yesterday's ATTQOTD: I learned on my first half marathon wearing a tank that I chafe the inside of my arms against my body, and the seam on a tank makes it very painful. I either put glide on it or wear sleeved shirts. Also learned on my first marathon I can get the dreaded bloody nipples, so I smear my chest with glide before a marathon. Other than that, no problem. I occasionally pull my shirt of on very hot, humid days when it is soaked with sweat and weighs a ton. But only when I'm in good shape and not carrying a spare tire. Vanity, you know.

Today's QOTD: I keep track of my running mileage on a spreadsheet. Some family members like to follow along with my training/races, so I keep an online journal here. It started as a chronicle of my yearlong buildup to running my first marathon (Disney), then morphed into a general running diary.

ATTQOTD: I do have one, but rarely get a chance to keep it current. Outside of that journal, I do not have anything else. I look over Garmin a lot and try to look at Strava from time to time. I like looking at both the short term and long term trends on the Garmin site.

On a personal note, work is crazy at the moment. I am lead on a project and people are under performing on it. I have been asked by my boss to update him on how people are doing on it, so I have. Well yesterday the rumor started that layoffs are coming. I believe I am safe at the moment, but to be over confident of that would be foolish on my part. I do feel bad for the people who are being watched as it seems they have no idea or either dont care. Trying to cover for them would also turn out bad for me, so I find myself in this weird situation that I cant say I like. The construction industry is brutal folks.

I wish you the best in this and hope it works out!

What a timely question- I just started a bullet journal for running last week. It's been a little overwhelming to set up, but I like having an overview and being able to write down my goals in the same place. I work in excel all.day.long, so it's kind of nice to have a paper version. (I love me some colored pens too...)

My other "journal" is my insta account (same as my name here) that I created just for running. I post almost every run on there and I have liked looking back on past runs.

Trying to cover for them would also turn out bad for me, so I find myself in this weird situation that I cant say I like. The construction industry is brutal folks.

Sorry to hear that you're in this situation. I have faith that if you're doing your job well, which it sounds like you are, it will all work out!
At a previous job, I once had to tell my boss (co-owner of the company) that his partner's son was fudging his numbers, which I found when auditing. It was hard, but doing the right thing is always right.

I had a journal on here while training for the 2017 Dopey. I guess it's still there, technically. I kept it up to date for a few months, but abandoned it because I wasn't getting much engagement on it and in the absence of that it was turning out to be a good bit of work for little to no benefit. At home I keep a spreadsheet with my training plan, progress to the plan and a history of all my races. I use that to track training completion towards each race, but I could be doing more with it to measure overall progress.

I started a journal here about a year ago. My main driver for starting it was accountability but I have noticed it's helped me think ahead and set bigger goals and plans to achieve those.

I also track my runs in a Google sheet. This is nothing fancy but helps me track my mileage and notes. I've also found it to be great for planning out my runs and races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter