The Running Thread - 2018

That's what I had expected! I have read that to get faster you should go slower on long runs and build up endurance. I think there are other things at play, including that I unfortunately gained weight over my Dopey training.

Were you hitting around current fitness M Tempo + 2 min for those long runs (and roughly about 80% of the training in all)? That would help put you in the sweet spot for endurance gains.

My "speed work" (if it can even be called that) is very basic. I just use the Galloway cadence drills and acceleration gliders during my weekday maintenance runs. I'm also going to work on adjusting my run/walk intervals back to my old ratio, because I had modified them to run Dopey with my wife, who enjoys a shorter run interval.

Well if you'd like any help working through the math let me know. I'm working on meshing Galloway's run/walk and my philosophies to work in harmony.

Hydration: Amphipod hand held on hot summer runs 6+ miles, and no matter the weather always on long runs over half marathon length. Around my neighborhood, I run 2-4 mile loops and have it in my mailbox; running uptown or at the dam, I do 3 mile loops and have it in my car. Never carry hydration in races but just depend on race support. So far only one half on Memorial Day (Peach Jam Half) had hydration problem for me. The first stop was around mile 3, it was hot, and I needed it before then, so for the next half in Florida and in June a week later (Echo Half), I carried a bottle of Dasani for the first few miles and then ditched it in a trash can. I probably didn't need it, but was being cautious. Planning to run both again this yearl

Shoes: After Christmas (before I was to retire from teaching in June), I told DH I wanted to start running with him. We went to the beach, that year but it was cold so we went shopping and stopped in Rack Room. He suggested that many people he knew wore Asics so I bought Asics GT1000's. They felt good and I started my running career. I started walking and by February discovered C25K app and started running in them. It stuck, so I went to be "properly" fitted for running shoes and ended up in Asics Gel Kayanos for a few years. The Kayanos kept getting smaller and smaller in the toe box and I started having some toe cramping on long runs and amazingly, the last pair I bought were GT2000's. They feel fine; I ran my last two 20 milers and the maraton in them and they are cheaper than Kayanos. So all is well.

... One of my favorite things? Getting up and running outside in comfortable temps! We stayed at Saratoga Springs and I just ran around there. I took it slow since it was dark and I had no clue where I was going. Note: Whoever posted that they were told they could not run early at Disney Springs--I can confirm that you cannot! I got stopped by security and was told I couldn't come in since DS was not open. It is such a shame because it is well lit, safe, wide open, and pretty to look at.
It was ME! Kindred spirits, getting kicked out of Disney Springs! At least I got about half-way in before they caught me and "had to" run back the same way. LOL

And let me do some quick figuring for January numbers...
Total January mileage: 214
Average pace: 7:23/mile, give or take half a second
Okay, maybe not so "kindred." I'm definitely not the runner you are!
January Mileage: 75.78 miles, Time: 15.4 hours -- the shortest distance per month in a couple of years Probably closer to 12 min pace. #nomath
I felt good after Dopey, got home on Tuesday night, ran 4.25 mi on Thursday and 4 on Saturday, and by Monday like many others, I got hit with bronchitis and couldn't run for over a week. Then when I tried to run, I had to go slowly, walk a lot, and try to breathe without coughing spasms. The longest distance I did after Dopey was 6 miles and I felt like death afterward, so I didn't try that again until yesterday, so February is starting off better.

January Totals:
Run: 94.09 miles (nearly half of that was Marathon weekend)

Like others, I'm having a rough January. I'm tired (both mentally and physically) after 2.5 marathons within a month.

My calf is bothering me. I looked back at some PMs and I was complaining about it in June, so that means it's been bothering me for 8-9 months. It doesn't get any better and doesn't get any worse, and after it's warmed up, doesn't really bother me while running. I know I should see the doc, but I doubt he's going to tell me anything I don't already know.

I've got a problem with my foot swelling up after a run. This cropped up after Rocket City. I did go to the doc for that and the X-ray was clean. The good news is that the calf and foot injury are on different sides, so at least I'm balanced.

To top it off, I strained my back (more like my sacroiliac joint) last weekend, causing excruciating pain.

I'm a warm-weather runner, so the cold and dark aren't helping. Overall I just feel lazy.

We all know we should listen to our body. Is this my body telling me to take it easy? Or is it my lazy mind, pretending to be my body, telling me to take it easy? How do you tell the difference?
You have done so much that you may need to take it easy and recover. I am definitely a warm-weather runner, and we haven't had warm weather in a loooooong time. My problem truly was bronchitis at first, but the left knee (felt ITB) ached two days ago, the arch of my right foot had a knot in it yesterday, this morning my right knee ached on the inside area. I think my lazy mind is creeping in at this point, especially since it all feels better once I'm up and moving. Or maybe it is just old age.

Based on your signature line, 3 out of 4 of your goals are PRs.

You sure you don't want to change the 5K goal to 21:XX? :)

HAHA. Right now, I'm only really wanting/trying to PR in the half. 1:45-anything is going to be quite a stretch. But that's the race I'm training for right now. If I'm able to do this in the half, then perhaps my goal in Chicago is possible... but as always there will be so many variables (weather being one).

I hate 5Ks. They are so painful. We have a 3 race series here (The Triple Crown) and this is the first leg so that's the main reason I bother running this. My PR is from a very small race in which I got caught up and ran a (too) fast first mile, considered walking mile 2, and somehow pulled it together in mile 3+ to get there. I'd like to think I could surpass that someday, but right now I'm not sure I'd be willing to put forth the effort on race day. I like the 10K distance more. My PR is a bit older. I'd like to think I could beat it this year, but who knows.

That's what I had expected! I have read that to get faster you should go slower on long runs and build up endurance. I think there are other things at play, including that I unfortunately gained weight over my Dopey training.

My "speed work" (if it can even be called that) is very basic. I just use the Galloway cadence drills and acceleration gliders during my weekday maintenance runs. I'm also going to work on adjusting my run/walk intervals back to my old ratio, because I had modified them to run Dopey with my wife, who enjoys a shorter run interval.

Thanks,
Doug

My Galloway “race rehearsal” maintenance run is where I incorporate acceleration gliders and cadence drills in the warm up run. Then I run 1 to 2 miles race pace comparing cadence. Doing this for about 8 months, my pace is within 15 seconds each mile. It’s really helped me from starting out too fast. ;)

What I consider speed and endurance is my other maintenance run where I do 400 meter (I use quarter mile measurements) straight runs without walk breaks. Run 400 meters then walk 200 meters. I started with 4 x 400m and added 2 more each week or when I’m not struggling to finish.

Both these maintenance runs are always under an hour.

This helped me drop 2 minutes from my race pace and increased my endurance. I’ve gone from running 3 mile long runs and thinking I’m dying to 3 miles being a short “maintenance” run. :P

Weather stopped 3 runs in January
Miles 31
Runs 9
Average pace 14’ 26”

Argh, went to start my slow run today and discovered I pulled my groin yesterday compensating for my wonky calf. I feel like my body is trying to tell me something.....

@LSUlakes
I have a few races to add to 2018, please:

Anthem 5k Fitness Classic, March 10, 22:XX
Rodes City Run 10K, March 24, 48:XX
Papa John's 10 Miler, April 7, NG
Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon (13.1), April 28, 1:45:XX
Chicago Marathon, October 7, 3:48:XX

Thanks!
I'm running the Derby mini and have a similar time goal, maybe we'll cross paths. It'll be my first time but I've heard lots of good things. Best of luck reaching your goals!

I'm running the Derby mini and have a similar time goal, maybe we'll cross paths. It'll be my first time but I've heard lots of good things. Best of luck reaching your goals

It's mostly flat, so it can be pretty fast if the weather cooperates. The last block is downhill if you have anything left in you and want to kick.

Were you hitting around current fitness M Tempo + 2 min for those long runs (and roughly about 80% of the training in all)? That would help put you in the sweet spot for endurance gains.

I was moving slower than that for Dopey, because I was running with my wife. Training runs were 2 min/mi slower than HER race pace, which would be 4 min/mi slower than mine. So, basically, I've spent the last year well below my previous normal pace. That's why I feel like I'm kind of starting over, because I haven't really paid attention to my time in a long time.

Well if you'd like any help working through the math let me know. I'm working on meshing Galloway's run/walk and my philosophies to work in harmony.

Hmmm.... I am intrigued...

I was moving slower than that for Dopey, because I was running with my wife. Training runs were 2 min/mi slower than HER race pace, which would be 4 min/mi slower than mine. So, basically, I've spent the last year well below my previous normal pace. That's why I feel like I'm kind of starting over, because I haven't really paid attention to my time in a long time.

Yea, then that'll do it for sure. That makes a lot more sense now as you were extremely slower than your current fitness would have dictated. That would certainly have an effect on the speed pacing then because of the drastic difference. I'd venture to guess it should come back within a few weeks/months though.

Hmmm.... I am intrigued...

Well just let me know what you'd want and I'm here to help. I try to come up with run/walk durations and pacing based on physiologically relevant current fitness assessments. Then build those into types of workouts that are progressive over the course of the training plan.

I'm not tracking anything in excel yet. I'm downloading it right now so that's the first step!

I count it a win when I remember to open my Garmin Connect app to upload the run, lol. But I fail at remembering to add my TM runs to Garmin so my monthly mileage is always off.

January miles: 41.25.

Started off great before knee pain threw a wrench into the works. Skipped a run here and there before eventually deciding to shut it down for a week or so in order to actually get real rest instead of feels good so I'm running today only to find it come back after I run.

It's now been a week since I last ran and I'm starting to go a bit crazy. I may give it a go tomorrow, or I may decide to resume normally on Monday. My first back to back run for Dark Side is next weekend and I hope to get that in.

Despite the knee, January was a better mileage month than December.

January Mileage: 0

(I suck)
Running in your sleep and posting to this thread count too!

Reflection: I had targeted to run a minimum of 3x/week 3 miles. As I had committed to other physical activities that should support running, I thought that was a reasonable goal. I have learned that (1) I will not run when it is less than 8F (2) I have a hard time running 3 miles on a treadmill whereas it is actually enjoyable outdoors. (3) If I want to count treadmill miles I need to log them manually, hence the x in the above mileage (4) I can hit 3x/week when I am in the office, I cannot seem to pull it off when traveling for family or work. (5) Runkeeper and Fitbit cannot agree on distance, even when outdoors and both using the same GPS from my phone. I understand the estimation, data point collection frequency difference, I have simply been surprised that the distance (and therefore pace) are so different. I am also surprised at the lack of precision. I suppose I could be cutting corners differently, but the route from one day to the next is also quite variable.
Great reflection! 1) through 4) sound like me last year... Except my concern was more about getting hurt on ice than cold.

This year, I changed things up a little: • Objectives are yearly instead of weekly: 150 runs. That way, I can accept that that I need to take time off running because I have a cold, because my family has other engagements, because a joint hurts, because it is -15F or because I need to recover after an intense race weekend. If I see that I am not tracking to that, I readjust the month after.
• I hate threadmill more than the worst outdoor conditions so I geared up accordingly: Hat that covers the ears, face mask or neck warmer, layers that breathe but cut the wind at the right places, ski socks and, if required, running cleats. And I try to pick the best weather days in the week. If you can’t change the weather... Might as well embrace it!
• As for how exact a tracking device is, I try to focus more on how I feel during a run, what runs through my mind and if I am becoming a better person overall because of it. It’s not like I plan on winning a race so I use Nike Run on my phone and take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Holy carp, I'm caught up. So many thoughts on shoes, chaffing, snacks, and much more, lol...

Loving seeing all the familiar 'faces' in this thread and a few new ones as well. 2017 turned out to be a suckfest as far as running and weight loss goes, but excellent in other areas. So now it's time to find a balance and address some things I let go last year.

@roxymama The Coronado is where my favorite comedy of all time was filmed: Some Like it Hot! Unrelated, it is also supposed to be quite haunted.

@LSUlakes , would you please add these to the race list? Thanks !!!

4/8/18 - huggybuff - Credit Union SACTOWN Run 10 Miler (NG/NA)
6/10/18 - huggybuff - Gold Country Half (NG/NA)

Last edited:
Taking time off to rest my knee has me rethinking how I approach my training as it pertains to the long races and in particular race day itself.

For perspective, my primary goal has always been to finish. In a very real sense the only time I've cared about was finishing. I am slow, but have managed to finish all 8 races.

2011 Disneyland Half 3:05
2012 Disneyland Half 3:06
2012 Wine & Dine Half 3:12
2015 Star Wars Half 3:16
2016 Star Wars Half 3:07
2017 Star Wars Half 3:07
2017 Dark Side Half 3:27
2017 Avengers Half 3:22

The 2011 half is the only continually moving race. All other races have featured multiple stops for photos, etc. If it helps, the 2017 Dark Side came mere days after the busiest work deadline of the year and was in temperatures deemed hot enough to warn runners to take it slow. The 2017 Avengers Half was ran on 3 weeks of training.

For years, I've read about the concept of slowing down to run faster. However, due to my speed, I have done every single training run whether short or long at no slower than minimum race pace. For the most part all long runs have been done at roughly 15 minutes per mile.

If I were to have time goal, it would be under 3 hours including photo stops. More than ever recently, I've been giving thought to possibly attempting a marathon, likely the 2019 Walt Disney World marathon and that may include Goofy or Dopey. Running Avengers on just 3 weeks caused me to look at training differently. I've always adhered fairly strictly to the Galloway plans until Avengers Half where the modified 4 week plan I used caused me to do longer maintenance runs than usual during my training including the introduction of intervals or run walk for the first time ever with all slow paces at a speed under 16 minutes per mile. In my mind, so long as I can maintain the minimum pace, I will achieve the stated goal of finishing.

With an eye towards a possible sub 3 hour Dark Side Half in April as part of the 5K and First Order Challenge, I've incorporated more speed training including on all the heretofore long runs. In consequence of a faster pace during those longer runs, I've noticed that my peak minutes has also increased and the runs have been harder. It's still be doable and where necessary I've taken longer slow breaks so as to not overdo it.

Now, all my reading up on taking the long runs slower and combined with wondering about how to minimize injury has brought me to wondering how a new approach will work. If I were to do all short runs at my recently achievable faster pace and then do all long runs at 15-16 minutes per mile, I'm coming to understand that on the day of the half itself, I could successfully run most if not all of the race at the faster pace even though none of my long runs will have been at this faster pace.

Am I wildly off base here? How much injury risk is inherent in this idea?

For point of reference, my current run walk ratio is roughly 13:30 for 1 1/2 minutes of running and roughly 15:45 for 2 1/2 minutes of walking.

If this works the way I hope it does, this will allow me to continue working on increasing my speed on the short runs without compromising my training on the long runs and reducing injury risk. Am I thinking the right way or am I missing something.

January Totals:

Miles: 29.17
Pace: 10:49
11 runs mainly on treadmill and 8 cross train workouts

Towards the end of December I found a training plan for a local half marathon that started the second week or so in January. The plan was perfect as it started out with three runs a week, with cross training with weekly runs at 2 miles. Perfect to get back into the swing of things with low mileage. I have never done a half marathon but started a training plan last Spring and only made it to 8 miles before I had shin problems and stopped training. I’m focusing a lot more on cross training this time, so my plan was to see how the first five weeks of this local plan went. If all goes well I will switch over to the novice Hal Higdon half plan after five weeks and register for my first half. Switching to the Hal Higdon plan as I’m unable to do the local race on that weekend so it will be easier just to start the Hal Higdon plan vs. continuing to adjust as the replacement race is earlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter