The Running Thread - 2020

I haven’t run a MM recently, but I have been running 5k’s at a fast pace - usually around 11:00 min/mile with the same run/walk split.

The temps will be for the end of my run. The first time was back in March - temp=53°, dew point=52.3
May 30 - T=82°, DP=62.8
June 13 - T=83°, DP=57.33

If those 5ks are near a full out effort, then my guess is you're training too fast. I'll assume that those 5ks are being run at near the same temps as the long run (therefore it wouldn't need to have a temp adjustment), but if that isn't the case, then I'll also attach adjusted paces assuming the 11 min/mile 5k (34:10) is ideal temps and training is the 144ish T+D you listed.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 11.17.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 11.18.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 11.19.07 AM.png

If the 11 min/mile 5k is your race effort pace for that distance, then your Galloway easy/long run pace should be around a 14:30 min/mile. If the 5ks are at ideal temps and the training is at the 144 region, then your Galloway easy/long run pace is around a 15:05 min/mile.

Again, if the 11 min/mile pace is your 5k race effort, then a 12:45 min/mile is more like marathon tempo. And a 2.5 run at Marathon Tempo is possible, but very aggressive in a training run. Additionally, I'd take a stab and say that your endurance isn't probably properly prepared at this point for a 2.5 run at Marathon Tempo.

Feel free to correct me on the 11 min/mile pace as 5k race pace though because I certainly took a leap in the analysis. I can easily run through the numbers again based on a different value.

During my runs I do feel thirsty and I drink when I feel thirsty.
On a long run, I have to stop for a bathroom break a little less than halfway (there’s a convenient restroom there). I haven’t paid attention to how soon after I get home. Though yesterday, I did happen to notice that I didn’t go for awhile - maybe 45-60 after. I can’t say regarding my normal runs, but probably not long after I get home.

Most current research seems to point to the concept of "drink when thirsty" while also keeping in mind carb absorption needs. Additionally, seeing as you had the urge to use the bathroom not terribly long after getting home says to me you may be in a reasonable position from a hydration standpoint.

The first occurrence is interesting because that T+D (105) in March is near ideal running temps. So that begs whether it's an occurrence of heat related stress. I certainly can't say it's impossible at those temps, but it would seem unusual to me in my experience.

Given the lack of carbs being taken in, the (assuming) current fitness relative pace (marathon tempo for 2.5 hrs), the T+D of the first occurrence, and you having the urge to use the restroom not long after getting home, then this may be a case of glycogen depletion. I certainly need more information, but potentially slowing the long run pace down even further and increasing the intake of carbs may help.

I don’t crave salt when I get home, but I definitely crave salty things in general more than I used to. After this long run, I had to force myself to drink my chocolate milk (I read that is a good recovery drink, right?) because I was sick to my stomach, and I did have to make myself eat.

Chocolate milk can be a good post-run recovery drink. There are probably other better options out there, but it's hard to beat the cost of chocolate milk for what may be marginal additional benefits from other products.

@DopeyBadger - Thank you *so much* for all of this analysis! I am going to really study this and will PM you with additional questions.
There is a lot of good info here so about the only other thing I would add is be aware of your running frequency. You may be starting out these long runs more fatigued than you realized. Give yourself enough rest days to recover completely from previous workouts before setting out on your long runs.

But, bottom line, if you feel the onset of the symptoms you describe don't ever hesitate to cut the run short. Trying to power through the problem is the fastest way to get in real trouble. It's good to see you have been cautious from the start and conscious of the possible danger.

Has anyone tried to do partial payments/pay with two different methods during RunDisney registration? For example, I have a Disney rewards card to use but it won’t cover the full race amount so I’ll need to pay with a 2ndry credit card. Is it possible? Will it slow down the checkout process and therefore not worth the risk? Thanks for any feedback!

Has anyone tried to do partial payments/pay with two different methods during RunDisney registration? For example, I have a Disney rewards card to use but it won’t cover the full race amount so I’ll need to pay with a 2ndry credit card. Is it possible? Will it slow down the checkout process and therefore not worth the risk? Thanks for any feedback!
That has not been possible in the past. You can only use one form of payment.

Maybe you could use your rewards card toward the purchase of a Disney gift card and then pay the race registration with that. Just figure out how much you'd need on the card ahead of time.

Maybe you could use your rewards card toward the purchase of a Disney gift card and then pay the race registration with that. Just figure out how much you'd need on the card ahead of time.

Has anyone paid for a race with a gift card in the past? I've never paid that close of attention when paying to know if Disney is handling that aspect of the registration or outsourced it to a third party that might not accept Disney gift cards.

I am sure someone here can confirm, I just wanted to bring it up in case the answer is no.

Has anyone paid for a race with a gift card in the past? I've never paid that close of attention when paying to know if Disney is handling that aspect of the registration or outsourced it to a third party that might not accept Disney gift cards.

I am sure someone here can confirm, I just wanted to bring it up in case the answer is no.

I haven’t done it myself, but it’s been widely reported that you can. The biggest drawback is that you have to have the entire balance on a single gift card since only one payment source can be used.

I pay with a gift card. As stated, it needs to have a sufficient balance to cover everything as you can still only use one form of payment for the transaction.
ETA: Also consider if you are planning to pre-purchase merchandise, as this also would need to be accounted for in your GC balance

Thanks everyone. I actually was so panicked during registration this morning I just used my cc, plus the valid concern that it may all get refunded later.

I forgot to even look for GC option during registration but I went back through the motions for a “fake” club Rundisney membership and it looks like you can enter a gift card or reward card, and seems like you could do a partial payment since it says “apply balance.” But I didn’t actually complete the transaction (bc that club is a scam imo) so not sure 100% sure that’ll work.

Attachments

• CFD7C236-8120-4D15-B386-21ED2A5C9B5F.jpeg
    CFD7C236-8120-4D15-B386-21ED2A5C9B5F.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3

I paid for my 2021 marathon registration with a gift card.

Well, looks like I'm registering for my first half marathon! I've been checking back on the Montana Marathon periodically and there's finally info available on how they plan to handle refunds--losing only $10 of a COVID-19 refund to fees sounds fair to me, so I'm finally ready to buy in. Glad that went up before prices increase again in July. Glad I can get this settled in my training schedule and my budget. At this point if the half does get cancelled I might replace it with a virtual half so I can stay on schedule and get that experience under my belt--but I'd much rather run a "real" race.

A big week for me: Monday was my first visit to the Y in 3 months. They've been open for a couple of weeks; my plan was to let them get their procedures in place before I went. I know from experience that 7:00 AM is the dead-time, so I arrived then. The new rules are wipe off equipment before and after use. There were only 8-10 other people at the time. I felt safer there than at the grocery store.

I've been goofing around with weights at home during lock-down. At the Y, I started off with lower weights and worked up toward where I used to be. I estimate I lost 10-15% strength during the 3 months. I'm happy with that, as I was pretty inconsistent during the lock-down. The only muscles that are (good) sore are my 'bench press' muscles. That was the only exercise I couldn't duplicate at home.

Today, I went to my first yoga class in 3 months. The rules are 'limited to 10 people' and 'bring your own mat'. As yoga always does, it felt good to move and stretch in ways that you don't normally do. Our focus today was 'twisting/turning' movements to help you in a fall. This was greatly appreciated since I took a spill last month.

My state is one where cases are on the rise. No telling what's going to happen, but it felt good to get back to it.

Hello All! I have been MIA for probably a month. Life got very busy. Work got busy, the wife and I decided to buy a new house. We close in a month. Now we are in a scramble to get our current house ready for sale so we don’t carry two houses longer than needed. The good news is that I may not have time to post here as often as I would like but I am still getting in my workouts. I had a calf strain last month that required about three weeks off from running but I just moved all my workouts to the bike. My total miles for the month went up and total workouts went up as well. I started running again last week and have been having no issues so the rest must have worked.

I check in periodically but don’t anticipate having much time to post for a while as packing and painting this house need to happen so we can get it listed in the next two weeks if possible. Ideally we will have an accepted offer before we close on the new house.

I hope everyone is doing well and happy belated Father’s Day to all the dad’s out there.

Did my second magic mile this weekend and...I don't like it. Nope nope nope. I always hated running until I was out of breath in school and pushing myself to do a mile as fast as I can at a steady pace means exactly that. It's the exact feeling that made me think I hated running for years. The second one came out worse than the first, I think partly because I waited until too late in the day, when it was hot, partly because I psyched myself out knowing I'd dislike it and went into it too tense (should have taken more time to try to loosen up before I started). And my performance on it is just...bad. I'm not projected to succeed at the marathon based on the numbers I'm getting from the magic mile and that's scaring me even though I have half a year to train. I know the purpose is to measure progress but it's still disheartening.

Those on the Galloway method, how's your experience with the MM? And do you run it on intervals, run it continuously, or run it on random run/walk breaks as you're able? I've been running it on intervals because I can't do a full mile continuously but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Did my second magic mile this weekend and...I don't like it. Nope nope nope. I always hated running until I was out of breath in school and pushing myself to do a mile as fast as I can at a steady pace means exactly that. It's the exact feeling that made me think I hated running for years. The second one came out worse than the first, I think partly because I waited until too late in the day, when it was hot, partly because I psyched myself out knowing I'd dislike it and went into it too tense (should have taken more time to try to loosen up before I started). And my performance on it is just...bad. I'm not projected to succeed at the marathon based on the numbers I'm getting from the magic mile and that's scaring me even though I have half a year to train. I know the purpose is to measure progress but it's still disheartening.

Those on the Galloway method, how's your experience with the MM? And do you run it on intervals, run it continuously, or run it on random run/walk breaks as you're able? I've been running it on intervals because I can't do a full mile continuously but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Not on the Galloway method personally, but mile time trials are a pain. You know you're doing it right when your breathing is really challenged. Which from the sounds of it is less ideal for you. So you could consider using a different distance as a measuring stick. The 5k/10k plans on runDisney use a 800m attempt instead of a mile.

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 5.12.17 PM.png

It's shorter, and has two options for hard and not hard breathing (huffing and puffing). Alternatively, you could use a longer distance as a measuring stick. Like 5ks, 10ks, or HMs as "B" races along the way. These will be less challenging to your breathing. The disadvantage to using a longer distance as a measuring stick in the midst of a training plan is that it requires more recovery from it. A mile is a relatively short race and only requires a few days recovery at most. Whereas, a HM would require a significantly longer amount of recovery (dependent on how hard you race it of course). At the end of the day, whether you use the mile, 800m, or a longer distance, it'll give you good data on which to draw conclusions.

And don't be discouraged by the results. It's entirely possible you're just not as skilled at a mile time trial as you are at a longer distance. It's uncommon in my experience helping others to see them outperform in the longer distance, but it happens. In my own experience, I ran a 39:55 10k in Jan 2018. But I'm still off on the mile equivalent (5:38) given my PR is now recently 5:42 (May 2020). My 6:12 mile time trial earlier this year suggested 21 min 5k, 43 min 10k, and 1:37 HM which I feel confident I could smash (since I ran a 1:28 HM in November). Outside of this recent training plan where I specifically trained towards the mile, I've never been "good" at the mile time trials.

As for how to run it, I usually guide people to try and run it at the 95% effort level as fast as you can from point A to point B. So for some that means continuous running, others with scheduled run/walk, and others unscheduled run/walk. I've seen all three methodologies yield the best personal outcome in the MM when we tried other methods.

@Waiting2goback congrats on the new house! Hope the current one sells quickly. We’re thinking about changing houses this summer too.
Thanks John. The market is ridiculous right now. Selling would be great I would think. Buying, not so much. I got outbid on our first two houses we made offers on and one of them I offered $33k more than asking and got outbid by about $20k.

But I have another question for you, or anyone riding a road bike. How often do you get flat tires? I have had 3-4 since I got my bike. No idea why. I was riding yesterday, didn’t hit anything and suddenly my tire was going flat. Thankfully I bought an emergency repair kit and pump for such situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter