Things No longer seen on DCL or Castaway Cay

I'm a bit disappointed that I missed out on seeing the regular improv shows that used to be in the Off-Beat and Barrel of Laughs nightclubs on the Magic and Wonder. They had already been replaced with dueling pianos by the time I started sailing each ship.

True, but you know, the one area where they do seem to be adding/improving rather than subtracting is the entertainment.

We were one of the first cruises where they replaced Wishes with Frozen and the guest response by repeat cruisers was overwhelmingly positive—the Frozen show (singing, effects, sets) was phenomenal. We were blown away by the relatively new Beauty and the Beast show on the dream. We’ve never been on the magic, but recently saw the official video of Tangled that DCL released during covid times and it was incredible—can’t wait to see it live one day.

Also the addition of the relatively new character dinner shows on the Wonder and Magic is something we are really looking forward to experiencing when things get back to post-covid normal.
The shows were amazing, but other than the Disney theme, the singing, effects were about inline with the Broadway type shows on other cruise lines we have been on.
We cruised NCL in the 1980's and their big entertainment draw then was big name stars performing on board. Singers, comedians, etc. I have been surprised that Disney hasn't taken advantage of their stable of Disney stars to perform on board on a regular basis. Or even other stars. People like Weird Al would be a huge hit on board.

I have been surprised that Disney hasn't taken advantage of their stable of Disney stars to perform on board on a regular basis. Or even other stars. People like Weird Al would be a huge hit on board.

Well, they did have Bob Saget perform on board. From what I understand, it uh didn't go well.

Well, they did have Bob Saget perform on board. From what I understand, it uh didn't go well.
There is a thread on the Community Board "Which Actors Can You Not Stand?". I couldn't think of anyone, but I will have to go back and put Bob Saget. Never understood how that guy got on TV.
I cruised on NCL with Norm Crosby, Jack Jones, the Fifth Dimension (I have a photo of me playing basketball against them) and Shields and Yarnell. This was the 1980's and those folks were regulars on TV shows like the Tonight show then.

The cool castaway cay and dvc gifts we used to receive. Each time we have cruised the gifts have become smaller and less interesting.

After looking at some pictures last night, I came up with something...or someone else to add to this list. I miss Club Host, Jamezy! Although we only sailed with him twice, he really made an impact and added to the enjoyment of those cruises.

Good steaks. On our first cruise back in 06 I thought that was the best steak I ever had in my life. Now I don’t go to expensive restaurants. But now I find the steaks to be just ok to hardly edible. I try to finish because I hate wasting meat but sometimes I can’t finish some of them they are that bad.

Cool stationary. Without the mug, were you charged for pop/sodas?
When we cruised in 2003, AAA members received a AAA mug that offered unlimited soft drinks - everyone else paid...sadly, no photo...I lost our family's mugs in a house fire last year...funny the things that are irreplaceable...

Those luggage tags are horrendous. I don't mean to step on toes, I'm sure some love them, but who came up with the idea to make them as large as a carry on? Bigger isn't always better.

Right?! I don't need to attach a dinner plate to my luggage. Plus, they get all caught up on things and tend to rip easily. We got a smaller rectangular shaped on once playing some kind of trivia or something and it was so much better, and cuter. It had a little captain Mickey on it. I don't see why those would be more expensive.

Cool stationary. Without the mug, were you charged for pop/sodas?

It was so long ago I can't remember exactly but I think yes, you were charged per soda. I also seem to remember a per person soda plan option for the length of the cruise. Then they introduced the unlimited mug option for purchase and then they decided to just include soda in the cruise price (except for cans...they still have a charge).

MJ

It was so long ago I can't remember exactly but I think yes, you were charged per soda. I also seem to remember a per person soda plan option for the length of the cruise. Then they introduced the unlimited mug option for purchase and then they decided to just include soda in the cruise price (except for cans...they still have a charge).

MJ

In that case, this is a positive instead of a negative, pop included in the price of the cruise. :goodvibes

The DCL pens that used to be all over the place. Our first cruise in 2008 we came home with 4 or 5 of them. Next cruise they didn't have them anymore it was just generic pens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter