Things that might come back

I think the fresh air has been really nice.
Anyone else notice the air quality in their town is very very good? I was just checking the temp and noticed the little air quality button by me is a bright green 24, I don't think I've ever seen it that low in Spring. I'm in a valley and got used to the poor quality, being told it was pollen and such from the kids pediatricians, but plants don't react to a stay home order

The lightweight plastic bag, and common sense over virtue-signalling. As I mentioned in my thread, hygiene concerns regarding reusables are already leading to their renaissance, as bans get suspended. If people want to prevent bags ending up in trees, then they should reuse them for binliners in their bathrooms at home, and stop needlessly dumping them where they please.

I think the suggestion has more to do with the full service being the only option. Oregon is the other state by the way. You can't just pump your own gas. You need to wait for the guy picking his nose, not paying attention, to realize you're waiting and then he's going to fill it for you. For "safety" of course.

Although, I will say that as much as I laugh about it, I was getting gas last week and when I was finishing up, I noticed this dude just smoking at the pump while he was fueling. I've never seen that before...it's one of things that you hear about but it really takes your breath away in person.
Ah but even Oregon is changing that. It's a health crisis versus an environmental concern battle weighing out. Temporarily you will be allowed to pump your own gas in Oregon now. Local news was talking about this last night.

"gas stations are now able to let drivers pump their own gas if they meet a particular set of requirements, including having posted safety signs for how to safely operate a fuel pump. Gas stations also are required to implement and enforce social distancing policies, and require an attendant to be on duty to supervise self-service refueling "consistent with the social distancing policies"

As far as smoking at the pump I see that all the time, not advisable at all but far from scarce IME. People also leave their cars on while pumping gas, it's automatic for me to turn my car off, automatic for me to discharge any static electricity before touching the pump (especially in winter when my body has a lot of static electricity and I'm forever getting shocked), and automatic for me to not reenter my vehicle as much as possible.

I wonder if HIPAA laws will see any modifications.
I did a Facetime with my Dr last week. He announced it's not compliant and I accept that, at least for now - right now I'd be ok if my Dr shouted stuff from the street. I'm high risk, what good is privacy if I go into see him and come out with a lethal infection. Just keep the visit to the point and get out of the chat ASAP

And I definitely hope families remember how much fun the game nights and walks together were, and find a way to keep some time for those when things get busy again.
Unfortunately this virus is the very thing keeping us from our normal game nights with the family.

I can play some games with my husband and have been and did in the past but no more playing Mexican Train, Phase 10, etc with the in-laws for the foreseeable future :(

But I mentioned on another thread..my husband, who isn't really a big game person, may not complain as much in the future given that it's been quite a while already since we've been able to play so he might sorta appreciate the times we do play a tad bit more when we can resume doing that.

The lightweight plastic bag, and common sense over virtue-signalling. As I mentioned in my thread, hygiene concerns regarding reusables are already leading to their renaissance, as bans get suspended. If people want to prevent bags ending up in trees, then they should reuse them for binliners in their bathrooms at home, and stop needlessly dumping them where they please.
I have always done this, my kids have extra bins in their rooms and these little bags are perfect for that and in all my bathrooms. When I have paper bags I prefer them to plastic but for now, I think a well tied plastic bag is keeping the sanitation workers much safer.

I love watching all of the Oregonians pulling up to the pumps in Vancouver. They all just sit there for awhile and then realize no one is going to pump their gas for them.

As a native Georgian, I frequently made fun of NJ & OR for this policy. When I moved to OR, I thought I would hate it.

I was so wrong 😂 I love it and never want to go back. Gas stations here now aren’t required to do full service b/c of the pandemic, but they can. I can’t see us giving it up long term. I still think it’s silly, but I love it so much 😂

curious, I think the whole world changed after 9/11 in very permanent ways but that we tend to gloss over the changes because they became necessary and we got used to them quickly. Our demand for instant news never existed before we felt vulnerable, I read the newspaper every few days and kept up with things though idle chatter. There were huge changes to privacy that we now endure because we discovered that danger wasn't someplace else. There were monumental changes to all matters concerning safety and public response to safety, things became coordinated and methodical. Not so sure how old you are but really try to think back to 1999 or so, the whole world looked and felt different - I think the fact it seems to be less changed is due to the extraordinary ability of people to be very adaptive and just get on with things. Once the shock wears off people just tend to forge ahead

I was 17 when it happened, running late for school when the first tower was hit and then didn't go in that day. I personally think the demand for instant news was coming one way or another. 9/11 probably just accelerated the process but DSL/cable internet was still a newer thing and high speed internet obviously changed a lot of things in life (& really the smartphone is what made it possible to truly get instant news whenever, wherever). I do remember high school being a lot different after Columbine. Maybe it's because it's been almost 20 years now since 9/11 that the changes aren't as noticeable anymore. I still maintain my opinion that at the end of all of this, very few changes will be made permanent.

I was 17 when it happened, running late for school when the first tower was hit and then didn't go in that day. I personally think the demand for instant news was coming one way or another. 9/11 probably just accelerated the process but DSL/cable internet was still a newer thing and high speed internet obviously changed a lot of things in life (& really the smartphone is what made it possible to truly get instant news whenever, wherever). I do remember high school being a lot different after Columbine. Maybe it's because it's been almost 20 years now since 9/11 that the changes aren't as noticeable anymore. I still maintain my opinion that at the end of all of this, very few changes will be made permanent.
Full body scans at airports would have probably been completely unimaginable to many in the 1990’s. It wouldn’t surprise me to see restrictions on travel and even reporting to work or school for anyone who presents with a fever becoming common practice going forward.

Full body scans at airports would have probably been completely unimaginable to many in the 1990’s. It wouldn’t surprise me to see restrictions on travel and even reporting to work or school for anyone who presents with a fever becoming common practice going forward.

I think travel restrictions would be very difficult to enforce at most places. Public shaming goes a long way. The first week this was all starting to go down, this relatively useless trainee showed up at work coughing and looking like garbage. She claimed it was just allergies. All of us told her to go away and eventually some stronger language with go away was added. She eventually went home on sick leave and then called in sick the next few days (she did not have COVID). Again, public shaming does work even if it is frowned upon.

I think travel restrictions would be very difficult to enforce at most places. Public shaming goes a long way. The first week this was all starting to go down, this relatively useless trainee showed up at work coughing and looking like garbage. She claimed it was just allergies. All of us told her to go away and eventually some stronger language with go away was added. She eventually went home on sick leave and then called in sick the next few days (she did not have COVID). Again, public shaming does work even if it is frowned upon.
Heaven's to besty if it actually was allergies. I'm guessing you don't know someone who experiences allergies. My primary time period for allergies is March-May with secondary in the fall but depending on the year I can have allergy symptoms as early as January and February.

Heaven's to besty if it actually was allergies. I'm guessing you don't know someone who experiences allergies. My primary time period for allergies is March-May with secondary in the fall but depending on the year I can have allergy symptoms as early as January and February.

I am fully aware of how bad allergies get. Actually, I started allergy shots last year. But when I say she is a relatively useless trainee, I mean she really isn't essential and this was like Day 3 after Disney closed and everyone is becoming more concerned but then you've got the one that wants to sit right next to you coughing, looking horrible, and then telling you it's just allergies. Well, just go somewhere else for a little bit....basically anywhere that doesn't involve you sitting next to me.

I am fully aware of how bad allergies get. Actually, I started allergy shots last year. But when I say she is a relatively useless trainee, I mean she really isn't essential and this was like Day 3 after Disney closed and everyone is becoming more concerned but then you've got the one that wants to sit right next to you coughing, looking horrible, and then telling you it's just allergies. Well, just go somewhere else for a little bit....basically anywhere that doesn't involve you sitting next to me.
I'm talking about in general though you describing someone as a relatively useless trainee kinda speaks for your thoughts.

I understand the very real concern about people and don't discount that people have sometimes thought it was allergies when it wasn't but it really can actually be allergies as well. Sounded like you don't believe that's even possible thus my comment. If you're aware at how bad allergies can get then I'm unsure why you think it's not possible to "look like garbage" I mean again nice descriptor, and be suffering from allergies. That's especially true right now at things bloom. Right now predominately it's trees in my area but it will soon shift to more flowering. Within the span of 4 days it went from zero pollen to medium-high pollen in my area in the very first part of March due to the abnormally early spring this year. Even right now temps are above average. And for allergy sufferers that would mean potentially months and months worth of symptoms. It would be best if possible at your work that you practice social distancing regardless meaning being 6ft or more apart.

So because you deem this person useless it’s okay to demean and shame them? Three/four weeks ago the standard for most jobs was you better come in unless someone is writing your obituary. The catch phrase when all this started coming down was “out of an abundance of caution.” You could have just used that.

There is nothing stopping gas stations from offering full service today.

True, but as others have commented, I meant having full service all the time with no option for self-serve (as in NJ and OR). I was actually not thinking of the gas attendant being in close proximity, but more about touching the metal pump handle that has been touched by many, rarely (if ever) cleaned, and full of germs! DH went to fill up the tank last week and made sure to wear gloves.

This thread is about things that might come back. Granted it’s been many decades, but I’m old enough to remember when self-serve gas didn’t exist. The driver stayed in the car while the attendant pumped gas and sometimes even cleaned the windshield and checked the oil as standard procedure, across the USA.

So because you deem this person useless it’s okay to demean and shame them? Three/four weeks ago the standard for most jobs was you better come in unless someone is writing your obituary. The catch phrase when all this started coming down was “out of an abundance of caution.” You could have just used that.

The very first thing I told her, after consulting with the supervisor, is that she will be paged if needed. She took a break. She came back and started hacking away. She was told again that she'll be paged if needed. When she came back the third time it was "get the **** out of here."

Since this trainee needs to use my certifications to do most things then yes, I deem her useless because I ain't going to sit an arm's length away from her in order to train while continuously coughs on me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter