• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Third US case of coronavirus confirmed in OC

No one was panicking at Costco today when I did my Costco run. I bought extra water and food that my kids will eat that has a long shelf life in case we get sick and have to stay home. I’m actually more concerned about people panicking and buying out the grocery stores than I am actually getting COVID-19.

I actually saw a number of people in the parks wearing face masks yesterday. Two women were even wearing masks and latex gloves.

People are nuts. The latex gloves don’t help at all and neither do the masks. The surgical masks help if you are already ill, but they don’t prevent you from getting sick. My friends who are physicians and who work in hospitals told me the N95 masks are better, but to be truly effective you have to have it professionally fitted to your face. Everything I’ve researched independently backs this up.

If a person is so paranoid about germs that you feel the need to wear a mask and gloves to Disneyland, you should probably stay home!

I'm much more concerned about our upcoming family trip to Europe, starting in Italy. I'm mostly afraid of the financial hit if they close travel etc. We're spending a small fortune on this trip (5 of us). Have been researching "cancel for any reason" travel insurance today.

I'm much more concerned about our upcoming family trip to Europe, starting in Italy. I'm mostly afraid of the financial hit if they close travel etc. We're spending a small fortune on this trip (5 of us). Have been researching "cancel for any reason" travel insurance today.

Yes, my SIL and BIL were supposed to take the kids to London soon and they cancelled everything.

I’m so confused. Who are these 8400 people? Why are they being monitored? Where did they come up with this number? This article isn’t very informative. That headline seems like it’s used to get clicks.

It does seem a little click-baity. From what I can gather, it seems they are probably asking people who had come in contact with the one confirmed case to self monitor and report.

Absolutely. We had our first unknown case. 90 miles from me. I am still more fearful of Norovirus at Disneyland than COVID-19. I will keep washing my hands, especially before eating, I will use wipes on tables at Disneyland before eating as we usually do, and I will keep using my inhalers to keep myself as healthy as I can. And I am not going to live my life in fear.

This video is is from February 3rd. There were 20,000 confirmed cases then. There are over 80,000 now. It's a different situation. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ And the fact is, very few tests are being run here, so we don't know how many people actually have it.

I’m so confused. Who are these 8400 people? Why are they being monitored? Where did they come up with this number? This article isn’t very informative. That headline seems like it’s used to get clicks.

It's apparently people who have presented with flu like symptoms but received negative flu tests. They say they are "monitoring the progression of their symptoms." This could be people who have seen their primary care doctors, ERs, urgent cares, etc.

The state of CA only has 200 test kits, so they obviously couldn't test everyone.

It took a LOT for UC Davis Med Center to get the okay to test the patient they have that is the first community acquired case, and that patient arrived already under respiratory care on a ventilator.

So, it stands to reason that these 8400 people are people currently sick with an upper respiratory virus of unknown origin.

It does seem a little click-baity. From what I can gather, it seems they are probably asking people who had come in contact with the one confirmed case to self monitor and report.

That can't be it. One person will never have 8400 known contacts.

This video is is from February 3rd. There were 20,000 confirmed cases then. There are over 80,000 now. It's a different situation. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ And the fact is, very few tests are being run here, so we don't know how many people actually have it.

That's the rub, isn't it. Nobody is being tested. Here in San Diego the Health Department is instructing people to call their health care provider if they exhibit symptoms. Even having had a flu shot, I've had three different upper respiratory flus this season and probably so have a lot of other people. If everybody contacted their health care provider with such symptoms, what would those providers do?
I wouldn't event think to put my sweet family doctor to the task.

Really, seems like instructions should be to self-quarantine, put a sputum sample in a zip-lock and have someone else drop off at a designated spot for testing.
But what do I know? I just figure the coronavirus is amongst us and I'm eating lots of colorful things to boost immune system and washing hands a lot.

It's apparently people who have presented with flu like symptoms but received negative flu tests. They say they are "monitoring the progression of their symptoms." This could be people who have seen their primary care doctors, ERs, urgent cares, etc.

The state of CA only has 200 test kits, so they obviously couldn't test everyone.

It took a LOT for UC Davis Med Center to get the okay to test the patient they have that is the first community acquired case, and that patient arrived already under respiratory care on a ventilator.

So, it stands to reason that these 8400 people are people currently sick with an upper respiratory virus of unknown origin.

That’s just impossible to even deal with! So crazy! It’s respiratory virus season. I think it’s safe to say that the coronavirus is here and we just don’t know it.

That's the rub, isn't it. Nobody is being tested. Here in San Diego the Health Department is instructing people to call their health care provider if they exhibit symptoms. Even having had a flu shot, I've had three different upper respiratory flus this season and probably so have a lot of other people. If everybody contacted their health care provider with such symptoms, what would those providers do?
I wouldn't event think to put my sweet family doctor to the task.

Really, seems like instructions should be to self-quarantine, put a sputum sample in a zip-lock and have someone else drop off at a designated spot for testing.
But what do I know? I just figure the coronavirus is amongst us and I'm eating lots of colorful things to boost immune system and washing hands a lot.

Agree 💯. In some people the symptoms are a minor cold. It’s just impossible to know.

Here is his words today.

It seems to me that the coronavirus is basically a cold like virus in most people, and in some people- mostly the elderly, it can attack the lungs, and it does so with a vengeance, which is when people die. And they think it’s so contagious because it’s a new virus so no one has an immunity to it. This whole thing is so crazy. 🤪

I'm secretly hoping they'll have to quarantine Disneyland and we'll all be banished to the resort hotels for weeks! 😆

In all seriousness, I often wonder what it would take to close the parks!?

I'm actually already wondering what things will be like in October. I usually visit (solo) in October and I'm kind of dreading family giving me crap for wanting to go if this is still in the news, even if it's still just edge cases showing up every now and then.

That said... Disney might drop hotel prices if they see attendance trending down throughout the summer. I also wouldn't mind a slightly less busy Disneyland :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter