• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Third US case of coronavirus confirmed in OC

This is beyond crazy. It’s no worse than the flu. Young kids are not dying from it like the flu either. Media love to sell hype. My word.
While I’m not overly worried I do think it’s worse than the flu. It seems to have a higher death rate in older people. I do have some concerns about unknowingly exposing my parents if we picked it up while traveling. My dad got hit with the flu last year and it was terrible(and yes, he’d had a flu shot). He is very healthy and active with no pre-existing conditions. But I could not believe how badly the flu affected him.

And while I know my immediate family would probably be okay in the long run, the thought of being stuck at home for weeks does not thrill me! I really don’t want to deal with a quarantine. We would obviously, if necessary, but I’d rather not.

While I’m not overly worried I do think it’s worse than the flu. It seems to have a higher death rate in older people. I do have some concerns about unknowingly exposing my parents if we picked it up while traveling. My dad got hit with the flu last year and it was terrible(and yes, he’d had a flu shot). He is very healthy and active with no pre-existing conditions. But I could not believe how badly the flu affected him.

And while I know my immediate family would probably be okay in the long run, the thought of being stuck at home for weeks does not thrill me! I really don’t want to deal with a quarantine. We would obviously, if necessary, but I’d rather not.

Let me just clarify - I am not saying the flu is not serious. The flu is very serious and it makes it rounds every year and people continue on, often times not even thinking about it unless they are in a higher risk category. We have almost become desensitized to the flu and underestimate it if anything. So when I compare it to the flu I am saying it's serious but we already have a serious public threat every year.

There is hype associated with this virus and it is in the self interest of the media for people to respond to the hype - let's not kid ourselves into thinking that news outlets are just there to report the facts - the embellish a lot. Just today they are making a big deal out of the fact that South Korea has more new cases reported today than China - that is the headline - they fail to mention that this is partially due to the number of new cases in China are now dropping - so they will spin it however it sounds more scary and sensationalize as far as they can.

But maybe this is good in a way as it might make people be more cautious - as we should be mindful in public to wash our hands frequently and properly, to not touch our faces after we have touched public items such as handrails, door knobs and pretty much anything other people touch. THAT is the biggest way to prevent the spread of this.

That we know of.

I'm willing to bet that now that OC hospitals have started testing for the virus in patients being tested for influenza, cases will begin popping up.

The limitations on testing have kept our numbers (likely artificially) low. That will change as people begin undergoing testing.

This virus is already here. You'll see.
Considering CA said yesterday they only have a couple hundred test kits I suspect testing is being severely limited...

With the virus ramping up. It is such a terrible thing. I hope the world can get it under control.

I'm sure its impossible to say.

[Will DL close in two weeks?] What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking no as of now. I think we may be in some trouble in a few weeks or month from now but there are only a handful of cases in the US.

We live about 15 miles from Disneyland. We're among the 4M people who live in Orange County, and 25M people in Southern California. Today, we went to work and the kids went to school. Afterword, we went shopping at a local grocery store and the kids hung out with their friends. Nobody called into work, absences at school were typical, the kids hung out with their usual friends and the grocery store was packed. And some of you are fearful about going to Disneyland? Not a single person in Orange County has caught the coronavirus locally. Of course, people are panicking.

Recessions are always triggered by a chaotic event, and it certainly looks like the coronavirus is going to push us into one. Of course, it has to happen right after our rent was hiked 14%...

If Disneyland was just full of people from Orange County and was in a bubble, there would be no concern. But Disneyland is full of travelers from ALL over, including internationally (a favorite of Asian tourists), and that's an issue. There are now two mystery cases north in California, suggesting community transmission. You don't think anyone from there will visit Disneyland during spring break? Or just for a weekend?

This is beyond crazy. It’s no worse than the flu. Young kids are not dying from it like the flu either. Media love to sell hype. My word.
Except it is much worse than the flu. The current death rate is 7%. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ The death rate for the seasonal flu is .1%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic Has the flu killed more people than COVD19? Yes, but only because COVID19 is just getting warmed up. It is absolutely worse than the flu.

Except it is much worse than the flu. The current death rate is 7%. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ The death rate for the seasonal flu is .1%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic Has the flu killed more people than COVD19? Yes, but only because COVID19 is just getting warmed up. It is absolutely worse than the flu.

The death rate among CLOSED cases is 7%. That's not the real death rate. The real death rate among those confirmed to be infected is 2%

The death rate among CLOSED cases is 7%. That's not the real death rate. The real death rate among those confirmed to be infected is 2%

How do you figure? The 2% rate that is being quoted is for all of the cases ever, including ones that are active. To find an accurate death rate, it needs to be from cases that are resolved, one way or another. Any other number is meaningless. You need to know the percentage of probability of coming out of it alive. You either survive or you don't. However, that 7% rate is the lowest it has been yet, so that is good. Still way too high to dismiss it as "just like the flu."

How do you figure? The 2% rate that is being quoted is for all of the cases ever, including ones that are active. To find an accurate death rate, it needs to be from cases that are resolved, one way or another. Any other number is meaningless. You need to know the percentage of probability of coming out of it alive. You either survive or you don't. However, that 7% rate is the lowest it has been yet, so that is good. Still way too high to dismiss it as "just like the flu."

Well, for one thing, the virus remains in your system for a LONG time. However, the progression from symptom onset to hospitalization/respiratory distress seems to be a consistent 4-8 days for most patients. Beyond that window, if you haven't fallen critically ill, you are not likely to. So, the 30k or so people awaiting "case closed" status that are not currently hospitalized will in all likelihood survive. The virus has been detected in people 3-4 weeks after suspected contraction, which means it takes a long time before they can fully clear people from being monitored.

And now we have cases of unknown origin in Oregon and Washington.

Last edited:

The percentage of coming out of it alive depends on risk factors such as age or pre-existing conditions. Deaths per case is much lower than 7% and even that lower number could be lower still since it doesn’t factor in any non-diagnosed cases. Perhaps you’re thinking of mortality within cases that end up require hospitalization?

With the virus ramping up. It is such a terrible thing. I hope the world can get it under control.

I'm sure its impossible to say.

[Will DL close in two weeks?] What are your thoughts?
Are all the plans for your trip in place (e.g. plane tickets, hotel, park tickets, TS reservations, etc.)? If so, stay calm and go ahead and get excited for your trip. If not, finish preparing for your trip and get ready to go. Your trip dates are going to be here before you know it. Either you will be prepared and ready to have a great time or you will struggle with the Spring Break crowds and a lack of planning. DLR did not close during the measles scare a few years ago -- it's not standard practice for them to close the parks for things like this.

My guess is no DL and DCA will not be closed. Our local county health offices are monitoring the situation (Orange Co, Riverside Co & San Diego Co). There have been no new reported cases locally. Practice good handwashing and you should be fine. The 2 confirmed cases in California are in NorCal and nowhere near DLR.

I live in Wa. (quite far from Seattle, though) and stores are getting packed here. They are running out of supplies, even Costco. So even though we have no cases, people are starting to panic and impulse buying. I noticed it online, as well - all kinds of emergency foods and supplies out of stock. So even if the virus itself isn't every where, the panic will be and that alone might be cause for a little worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter