• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Third US case of coronavirus confirmed in OC

Exactly. FWIW, the school district here is cracking down HARD on sending kids home that have ANY illness symptoms. As they should. Parents treat school like daycare and send in sick kids all throughout flu season. It's how my son got sick 2 days after going back after winter break. It's not right. Hopefully this will make people a bit more paranoid and will cut down on ALL the viruses circulating.
Actually schools brought that on themselves by saying if a kid misses more than 5 days in a school year, even due to illness or injury (even when injured at school where they know the parents didn't do anything wrong) child protective services will be called no matter what.

My guess is no DL and DCA will not be closed. Our local county health offices are monitoring the situation (Orange Co, Riverside Co & San Diego Co). There have been no new reported cases locally. Practice good handwashing and you should be fine. The 2 confirmed cases in California are in NorCal and nowhere near DLR.
We have a better medical infrastructure than say China, additionally people in the U.S. tend to be too entitled and you would see passholders demand that part of their passes be refunded, you would see those who had trips booked insist that Disney reimburse all travel costs, not just admission.

Then you have the fact that the areas around Disney parks are so economically dependant on Disney and tourism dollars that closing them would end up being catastrophic to the economies in those areas and in California we are so dependent on the money flowing from those areas that closing Disney and other major theme parks could cause a complete collapse of California's economy, which is precarious enough as it is. And the reality is with California having a larger economy than most countries in the world, that would cause major issues for the rest of the country and if the U.S. economy fails, then the economies of many other countries aren't far behind. Yes, closing the major theme parks and tourist locations could see that kind of domino effect if we aren't very careful.

Add in the fact that there are so few U.S. cases as well as the fact that even if you are soemhow infected, which is highly unlikely, so few need hospitalization percentage wise and if you do, chances of full recovery are currently 100% in the U.S. although 1 case the person is still really sick.

Even in the areas with the worst case scenarios, the rate of not recovering is less than 5%.

So, if things continue to be managed as well as they have been there really won't be a major outbreak in the U.S., there really is very little danger of the U.S. parks closing.

Unfortunately there is so much misinformation out there and it causes panics that actually end up causing more problems in the end, like there being a shortage of masks for hospitals because people are going and buying them despite the fact that they won't do anything to help prevent you from getting sick with the Corona virus. But they do help those who are sick not spread whatever they have to others if the person who is sick wears the mask and help with other things in hospitals, so the fact that everyone is out buying masks even if they aren't sick means they are causing the spread of disease more than preventing it.

Throw into the mix that chances are Disney would be required to pay every CM their normal salary and for tipped positions approximately what they would have been tipped during a shut down and it would be so costly that even Disney might not be able to recover from that. And smaller parks like Knotts, etc. Really couldnt if they had the same issues.

We have seen far worse diseases, some of which revolved around the parks like the measles outbreak and that didn't shut the parks down, so with all of the factors, the likely hood of the U.S. parks closing is extremely low. I am not saying it is impossible, but very low, way less than a 1% chance and that is only if we end up with A LOT more confirmed cases.

Also, I know they are working on a vaccine, but then you have people like me that if I get the flu shot, I get the flu every single time and it lasts for well over a week and is extremely severe, but if I don't get the flu shot, I don't get the flu as a general rule and the grand total of twice that I did in 40+ years of not getting the flu shot it was over in 48 hours or less with very mild symptoms. So I would obviously be very caution with any vaccine, even though I am not opposed to vaccines, my body just handles them differently than most people.

I live in Wa. (quite far from Seattle, though) and stores are getting packed here. They are running out of supplies, even Costco. So even though we have no cases, people are starting to panic and impulse buying. I noticed it online, as well - all kinds of emergency foods and supplies out of stock. So even if the virus itself isn't every where, the panic will be and that alone might be cause for a little worry.
Your Costco is running out of emergency type supplies or basic stuff like food and milk? I didn’t notice that type of behavior in CA yesterday.

Then you have the fact that the areas around Disney parks are so economically dependant on Disney and tourism dollars that closing them would end up being catastrophic to the economies in those areas and in California we are so dependent on the money flowing from those areas that closing Disney and other major theme parks could cause a complete collapse of California's economy, which is precarious enough as it is. And the reality is with California having a larger economy than most countries in the world, that would cause major issues for the rest of the country and if the U.S. economy fails, then the economies of many other countries aren't far behind. Yes, closing the major theme parks and tourist locations could see that kind of domino effect if we aren't very careful.

This is nowhere near accurate. California's economy is very diversified. There are many reasons why our economy is so powerful, and Disneyland is but a blip on the radar.

California's economy is worth an estimated $2.72 TRILLION dollars

Disneyland contributes approximately $8 BILLION

Do the math...that's like 0.3%.

I live in Wa. (quite far from Seattle, though) and stores are getting packed here. They are running out of supplies, even Costco. So even though we have no cases, people are starting to panic and impulse buying. I noticed it online, as well - all kinds of emergency foods and supplies out of stock. So even if the virus itself isn't every where, the panic will be and that alone might be cause for a little worry.
The CDC told people earlier this week to get prepared.

I live in Colorado but I work at a store that sells respirators and had five people looking for masks this weekend, some of them from over 100 miles away.

This is nowhere near accurate. California's economy is very diversified. There are many reasons why our economy is so powerful, and Disneyland is but a blip on the radar.

California's economy is worth an estimated $2.72 TRILLION dollars

Disneyland contributes approximately $8 BILLION

Do the math...that's like 0.3%.

Yeah...if California were a country, it has the fifth largest economy in the world. A closure of DL would not be a big deal.

I will be paying close attention this week - as they are ramping up the testing in the US, positive tests are inevitable. I won’t be cancelling our trip in 3 weeks unless I have to- DL is the layover on our trip to Australia so to cancel the whole thing would be a huge financial hit. Obviously I don’t want to spread a global pandemic either so ...

I too will be watching very closely. We are due to arrive in 9 days. I don’t want to buy in to the panic just yet but also don’t want to be ignorant to what’s going on. It sometimes feels hard to decipher. We went to several stores today to pick up supplies for our trip and noticed that many stores were out of hand sanitizer, hand soap, in some cases water, Clorox wipes… Etc. Crazy!

I too will be watching very closely. We are due to arrive in 9 days. I don’t want to buy in to the panic just yet but also don’t want to be ignorant to what’s going on. It sometimes feels hard to decipher. We went to several stores today to pick up supplies for our trip and noticed that many stores were out of hand sanitizer, hand soap, in some cases water, Clorox wipes… Etc. Crazy!

There appears to literally be no hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol anywhere here (OC). It's nuts.

I too will be watching very closely. We are due to arrive in 9 days. I don’t want to buy in to the panic just yet but also don’t want to be ignorant to what’s going on. It sometimes feels hard to decipher. We went to several stores today to pick up supplies for our trip and noticed that many stores were out of hand sanitizer, hand soap, in
There appears to literally be no hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol anywhere here (OC). It's nuts.
Try Bath and Body Works. You may smell like a '90s Vsco girl but they had a ton of stock of hand sanitizer when everywhere else was out

We ended up finding some hand sanitizer at Walgreens and a little at Target. Walmart was totally out of any kind of hand sanitizer, disinfectant sprays, hand soap and Clorox or Lysol wipes.

A death has been confirmed in Wa - I went to Costco, Winco (local grocery store), 2 Walmarts, Walgreens, & Home Depot (had a few little ones left for 1.28 ea.) today. Hand sanitizers, HS wipes, anti-bacterial liquid soap GONE. Bleach maybe one or two left. It got WAY more nuts here - I thought it might but didn't expect it to be the next day! Called around when I got home, Targets and Rite aids are out, too. Gallons of water as well. Did see some toilet paper and paper towels, but probably not much longer. The bulk section (it's pretty big) at Winco was actually running out of stuff. I've never seen that. I saw people on the cleaning aisle on their phones, heard them talking to each other about what kind of cleaners kill the virus - felt like shopping during the holidays, only people seem more desperate. One poor guy was just standing in front of the empty shelves at Walmart staring - willing some to appear. He kept bending down, looking at the bottom shelf. He did this 4 times when I finally had to tell him to go to Home Depot first thing in the am & get some small ones (we had just left there as it was closing). He told me he only had a couple ounces left - he looked truly scared. He was so thankful, I really hope he gets some. And all of you as well!!

I noticed the rubbing alcohol here in SD too... why is that? Does it kill germs differently than bleach? Are people buying it as a cleaning agent?

I noticed the rubbing alcohol here in SD too... why is that? Does it kill germs differently than bleach? Are people buying it as a cleaning agent?
I wondered about this too and what people were using it for. Stores were selling them with a limit.

OC now has the ability to test in a county lab.

From their website:

We are now able to test individuals for #COVID19 at our Public Health Laboratory that meet Centers For Disease Control (CDC) criteria, including the following: persons with fever or lower respiratory illness who has had close contact with a COVID-19 patient within 14 days of symptom onset; persons with fever and lower respiratory illness requiring hospitalization with a history of travel from affected geographic areas within 14 days of symptom onset; and persons with fever and severe respiratory illness requiring hospitalization which is otherwise unexplained. This testing is arranged with each individual’s health care provider and/or hospital and walk-ups to our lab will not be accommodated.

Target still has plenty of supplies, so I ordered them for pick up later today. I put one jug of rubbing alcohol in my cart just in case I’m missing something big! 🤣😷

Don't be surprised if they tell you it is out of stock when you show up to get the order. Out Targets (went to 2) were cleaned out of it and hydrogen peroxide (which does kill viruses ,by the way). You could buy witch hazel...that is all that was left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter