This is Us- Season four

I think the past two or three season premieres have left me thinking that I may let the show go on without me, but then they've brought me back in the fold. I hope that happens again, because by the end of last night I was pretty much blah. Lol

I think the end of last night was distorted by how they chose to pace the commercial breaks. Sure, the first hour and a half had limited commercial breaks, which made the last half hour irritatingly jam packed with them. I found it very distracting.

I think the end of last night was distorted by how they chose to pace the commercial breaks. Sure, the first hour and a half had limited commercial breaks, which made the last half hour irritatingly jam packed with them. I found it very distracting.

Yes! The breaks were constant after the first half or so.

I was surprised by the ending, will be curious to see where it goes. If she is alive, there are so many questions. Where did she go and why? Why didn't she contact William to let him know she was alive?

I like Madison and Kevin and I didn't think I would. She is good for him because she keeps him grounded. She does not fall all over him gushing about how amazing/talented/handsome he is like most women he seems to run into.

It's funny how we all read into every little thing. When we saw the scene about Rebecca play out at the cabin last season, we all were freaking out trying to figure out why Kate signed the report as Kate Pearson. So many theories thrown out and speculations. I guess it was nothing.

I didn't like the ending with Randall's mom. I'm still not convinced that she is alive and well in the current time. I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

I'm glad they had Randall come to the cabin. I wonder if the scene we saw previously with Kevin saying to Rebecca something about them being mad at Randall, is just going to be forgotten because with the current situation, they just couldn't have Randall not be a part of the Big 3, even if the relationship is somewhat strained.

I didn't like the ending with Randall's mom. I wonder if the scene we saw previously with Kevin saying to Rebecca something about them being mad at Randall, is just going to be forgotten because with the current situation, they just couldn't have Randall not be a part of the Big 3, even if the relationship is somewhat strained.
I completely forgot about that part. It made it seem in that episode like none of them were speaking to Randall, when in reality, it is only Kevin and Randall who had fallen out.

I could have done without all the COVID and current event references. I watch TV to escape reality not be reminded if it. Especially this year!

I agree but glad this came back. Other shows I watch on the different networks a lot are returning over the next few weeks. Some we have to wait until 2021.

I watched the season 4 premiere and am still on the fence if I will commit to this upcoming season.

I could have done without all the COVID and current event references. I watch TV to escape reality not be reminded if it. Especially this year!

Completely understand that feeling. I think it may be they are addressing it because it actually helps them film using the protocols and give the shift context and not have us in the audience criticize some of the ways they're tailoring what we see -- i.e. how could Kate not give Kevin and Madison huge hugs to celebrate their news? Without Covid being a thing in the Pearson universe what we see onscreen is often not going to make sense.

Completely understand that feeling. I think it may be they are addressing it because it actually helps them film using the protocols and give the shift context and not have us in the audience criticize some of the ways they're tailoring what we see -- i.e. how could Kate not give Kevin and Madison huge hugs to celebrate their news? Without Covid being a thing in the Pearson universe what we see onscreen is often not going to make sense.
That. But more importantly it’s a show set in different time periods. And those time periods are a big part of the premise. How could you be set in 2020 and not address what’s going on right now?

Not that I enjoyed the episodes much. It felt disjointed and lacking plot.

I completely forgot about that part. It made it seem in that episode like none of them were speaking to Randall, when in reality, it is only Kevin and Randall who had fallen out.
I felt the opposite. I felt that they were trying to reach out to Randall and he wouldn't speak to them.
He is consumed with sadness over what is happening in the world and is transferring that sadness to his family relationships.
Just my observation :)

I felt the opposite. I felt that they were trying to reach out to Randall and he wouldn't speak to them.
He is consumed with sadness over what is happening in the world and is transferring that sadness to his family relationships.
Just my observation :)

I think what is going on in the world is bringing up mixed feelings on his adoption. Being raised in a white family has kind of denied him of his culture. Even Malik joked about his "white dad jokes." I read an article once about a Korean girl who was adopted by an American couple. She said white people saw her as Asian because of her looks, but Asian people saw her as white because of the way she acted (ate American food, did not speak Korean etc. ) I think Randall may feel this with his culture.

He knows his parents were doing what they thought was right and did the best they could, but I think he feels kind of stuck between two cultures. Like when he told Kate he was tired of trying to make everyone around him comfortable (meaning his white family). All the rioting brought back a lot of his childhood feelings. I did feel bad for Kate because she seemed like she was just realizing how hard it must have been for Randall.

I wasn't really happy with the continued direction of some of the writing for Randall and Kevin. Kevin and Kate, and Miguel for that matter, weren't being careless, neglectful or inattentive to Rebecca. But of course it's written once again as Randall coming to the rescue with recognizing the medication interaction as the root cause of this episode. Kevin was dealing with an intensely stressful situation regarding Madison and the babies, yet the family has no idea and once again it leaves the door open for the impression that he was simply MIA for a couple of hours for no particular reason when there was a bit of a scare about Rebecca's whereabouts.

Granted, Kevin chose to keep his fear from the family. But considering that there's a bit of a pattern there of Kevin's concerns going unseen and unheard that's not terribly surprising. In a way it's a bit of a parallel to the feelings Randall expressed about keeping his racially based concerns under wraps with his family. Both of these men grew up tremendously loved within the family, yet keenly missing some much needed support because it went unseen and unheard. Kevin's issues were pretty thoroughly revealed during his intervention and addiction treatment. Now Randall has expressed his distress to Kate, and it seems to be weighing heavily on her mind and heart. Could this strange parallel between the brothers pull them together by giving each greater understanding of each other? That would be optimal and a win for everyone. Somehow I think it likely they will revert more to old patterns, where Randall's hurt and needs are given priority, while Kevin trails along in the wake with everyone oblivious if he's in rough waters because they assume he's simply taking it easy in the shallows. I'm rooting for and hoping that love and the ties that bind carry the day with this family.

I thought this was such a good episode. I wasn't sure about tying in current events but I thought it worked well. Beth's speech at the end...dang! That was so good!
I loved the entire episode. Every single bit.

Beth's speech had me in tears.
I agree! I loved this episode. Leave it to them to sum all the feelings - sadness, fear and moments of joy in 2020 into 2 hours.

I personally think they did well with including Covid but not having it overwhelm the episode. It felt very real.

And Beth’s speech 😭😭 She is by far the best character on this show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter