This is Us- Season four

I’m not so sure about Beth’s speech. She said that our lives are built on the fence posts of tragedy or something to that effect. Speaking only for myself, I don’t frame my life that way. It’s actually the good things that are the grounding moments in my life—university, meeting my husband, finding my chosen profession, having my children—I could go in, thankfully. The really bad stuff—deaths, 16 miscarriages, loss of other kinds, failures, are all still there, but time softened all of the bad stuff, my memories of the bad things have receded. The good remains vibrant. I saw her speech as deeply negative, even though that wasn’t the intent. Anyway, just a thought. Dh and I were talking about it last night. He actually laughed out loud at her sentiment and shook his head he finds the show deeply negative.

I’m not so sure about Beth’s speech. She said that our lives are built on the fence posts of tragedy or something to that effect. Speaking only for myself, I don’t frame my life that way. It’s actually the good things that are the grounding moments in my life—university, meeting my husband, finding my chosen profession, having my children—I could go in, thankfully. The really bad stuff—deaths, 16 miscarriages, loss of other kinds, failures, are all still there, but time softened all of the bad stuff, my memories of the bad things have receded. The good remains vibrant. I saw her speech as deeply negative, even though that wasn’t the intent. Anyway, just a thought. Dh and I were talking about it last night. He actually laughed out loud at her sentiment and shook his head he finds the show deeply negative.
She said his (Randall's) life was built on the fence posts of tragedy. Not everyone's.

She said his (Randall's) life was built on the fence posts of tragedy. Not everyone's.
She said it was something her father always told her growing up though. Words of wisdom. Words to live by, intimating that one could apply it to the lives of many people. It’s how she opened the speech.

That was kind of the entire point of the speech to him. That just because his life didn’t start under the best circumstances (and truthfully that’s a start very few can understand), that isn’t what should shape his life. That out of that has come good - like their children. And to approach what’s happening now with the same attitude. It hurts now. It is hard now. We can all get lost in that despair and allow it to define us if we choose. But that things will get better.

And personally, the tragedy and bad things have shaped my life just as much as the good. I don’t dwell on them, but to pretend they haven’t been deeply impactful would be disingenuous.

That was kind of the entire point of the speech to him. That just because his life didn’t start under the best circumstances (and truthfully that’s a start very few can understand), that isn’t what should shape his life. That out of that has come good - like their children. And to approach what’s happening now with the same attitude. It hurts now. It is hard now. We can all get lost in that despair and allow it to define us if we choose. But that things will get better.

And personally, the tragedy and bad things have shaped my life just as much as the good. I don’t dwell on them, but to pretend they haven’t been deeply impactful would be disingenuous.
Well said. Thanks. I think I read more into it now.

I was shocked that Randall's mom survived, but like a PP said, so many questions now. It's just weird her and William would have never crossed paths again. Did she go to rehab and when she got out she thought it best to move somewhere else? I'm guessing she will in fact be alive and Randall will run into her some how. I wonder if she is tied to someone he knows, like Maliek's family.

I was shocked that Randall's mom survived, but like a PP said, so many questions now. It's just weird her and William would have never crossed paths again. Did she go to rehab and when she got out she thought it best to move somewhere else? I'm guessing she will in fact be alive and Randall will run into her some how. I wonder if she is tied to someone he knows, like Maliek's family.

I think the whole thing about his mom not dying is so weird. I think maybe she comes to, but then dies later. Like you said, I just can't imagine that William and her never saw each other again since he still lived in the same place.

I thought the episode was a little disjointed, because of trying to integrate the scenes they'd already shown us with the Covid/current events ones, but I think they did OK, and I loved both Toby's and Beth's speeches!

I was shocked about Randall's mother! It just makes the whole thing even more tragic for William - having to make a decision like that at all, and then we find out he did it without all the real facts?

I do like Kevin and Madison, I was glad Rebecca's episode was a drug interaction and not a more rapid decline in general, and I'm curious who the new therapist will be.

I think the whole thing about his mom not dying is so weird. I think maybe she comes to, but then dies later. Like you said, I just can't imagine that William and her never saw each other again since he still lived in the same place.
There has to be a reason they showed his mother surviving, otherwise why have it happen? I think she's still alive today and somehow she and Randall are going to meet.

I think Randall’s new therapist will be his mom. 🤷‍♀️
Whew if that happens it is too soapy for me.
My first thought at the end of the show was that if she shows up as his new therapist then I'll know the show has well and truly jumped the shark.

I had read this theory on fb. Some say the therapist will be the mom, or if she went on to have other kids, it will be Randalls half sister. I would guess half sister since the mom would most likely be retired if she was still alive. Not sure if they would go that route though.

I had read this theory on fb. Some say the therapist will be the mom, or if she went on to have other kids, it will be Randalls half sister. I would guess half sister since the mom would most likely be retired if she was still alive. Not sure if they would go that route though.
Half sister is a plausible guess. I could see that.

Half sister would be more plausible. I don’t really like either option.

The story line about Randall's mom killed it for me--it's so completely implausible. As a former EMT, I was very annoyed at the unreality of it. In addition to her reviving being unrealistic, so is the fact that nobody put together a black woman who recently gave birth, and an abandoned black baby at the hospital. The scenes were set in 1980--an abandoned baby would make the news, and they would be looking for a woman who recently gave birth to him.

I think Randall’s therapist will be a black man. When he spoke with Malik he realized that there are things he can only speak openly about with a black man.

I kinda figured his mom would be alive or some twist was coming. When the mention was made about his mothers defining his life. His birth mom even though she’s barely a blip on the radar and then Rebecca who raises him. But I always had my suspicions of his birth mom being alive throughout the show.

I did like this premiere.
I've had suspicions Randall's mom was alive for a bit, trying to figure out how other ways they'd surprise him. I'm assuming the new therapist will have some connection to her.
I liked them pulling in the recent events. Since it's supposed to be 2020, how can they not pull those in. I'm a bit curious though what would have been the storyline without those happening this year.

They didn't pull this angle but I do kinda like Kevin with Madison. I got thinking that since he's so close to Kate being twins, why wouldn't he end up with, at least liking, her best friend. I'd still like a Sophie end, too much time spent with her etc, but this makes sense to some extent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter