Thread on Micechat says GCV construction starts this month!

squidmo

Mouseketeer
http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73148

Well, I was scheduled to take part in a class the other day that involved touring the Resort Hotels. Two interesting things happened, first while it's no secret that the DVC will be building bungalows at the Grand Californian, I found out that the process will involve removing at least a portion of the Mt. Whitney suite. I also found out that the construction will start in mid-late august.

I looked for room layouts online, but couldn't find where the Mt Whitney suite was. OOOHHHH- I'm so excited!

Here is a link to the layout for the Mt Whitney Suite.

Thanks for the link- the page lists the room number as 6012, so I was able to locate it on the map:

http://www.go2mickey.com/images/maps/gcroomlocalmap.jpg

Judging from the floorplan, I think it covers the area of rooms 012 through 015 or 016, which are right on the corner where they will be adding on the new wing. It looks like the hallway to the new wing will need to go right through it (rooms 012 & 013 on the map), so I'm guessing it is a victim of location.

For those of us on the west coast, this is excellent news! And as folks who really enjoy the wine cellar at the Vineyard Room, having the DVC option instead of paying the rates for a GC room will make staying over more affordable. Wonder when they'll start taking reservations....

Guess what! The first building permit for the Grand Californian expansion has popped up on the Anaheim Building Dept website! The description is:

"Remove architectural overhangs and portion of exist. roof sections to prepare exist. structure for new addition "

If you are dying to look for yourself, the website is:

http://permits.anaheim.net/tm_web/default_bld.htm

And the permit # is BLD2007-01716

YIPPIE!! :yay:

Keep it coming Squidmo!!! Looks like we might be getting closer.:surfweb:

Great work Squidmo! You beat me to it! I was staying at the GCH July 10th when they added 6 construction trailers next door to the DVC building directly across the street from the GCH. 2 different DVC employees said that they asked what they were for and DVC management would not answer them. I saw them on the Anaheim permit website and they were listed as "Temporary construction trailers" permit is good for one year. Your find is much more conclusive. This news, coupled with the increased "Chatter" (Thank you homeland security for that phrase) on the internet about this project getting greenlighted, I think we have a new DVC property on the way.

This permit was posted today! The West Coast DVC Covert operations team is on the ball!

Does anyone think they will be called Bungalows at Grand Californian? I like it, but whatever it's called, we'll do a small add on.

Does anyone think they will be called Bungalows at Grand Californian? I like it, but whatever it's called, we'll do a small add on.

I think it would be great if they called them "bungalows"- much more in keeping with the Grand Californian's theme than "villas".

And I'll be doing more than a small add on...

Looks like we might be getting closer

Well, I just exchanged a couple of PM's with the OP from MiceChat, and s/he says Disney is planning for construction to be completed in the spring! We could be less than a year away from getting to stay!

:yay:

So, if this is really the case, when do you think they would start selling them?

Well, I just exchanged a couple of PM's with the OP from MiceChat, and s/he says Disney is planning for construction to be completed in the spring! We could be less than a year away from getting to stay!

:yay:

So, if this is really the case, when do you think they would start selling them?

I have no idea, but I have to start setting aside some cash for it.

Thanks for the link- the page lists the room number as 6012, so I was able to locate it on the map:

http://www.go2mickey.com/images/maps/gcroomlocalmap.jpg

Judging from the floorplan, I think it covers the area of rooms 012 through 015 or 016, which are right on the corner where they will be adding on the new wing. It looks like the hallway to the new wing will need to go right through it (rooms 012 & 013 on the map), so I'm guessing it is a victim of location.

I am a little confused by this, since the area set aside for adding on is really an extension starting at room 216 & 217. (according to your map) If they built an extension from the Mount Whitney Suite, they would have to bulldoze Redwood Creek Challenge trail in DCA. (Something I do not think that they would do since it is one of the most popular parts of DCA) If you look at the other wing where room 216&217 are, the hallway goes right to the end. This area was intended for an expansion right from the beginning, and in fact was supposed to be a "phase II" of an expansion that was halted after the drop in tourisim surrounding Sept. 11th. I think the Cast Member may be wrong about the Mt. Whitney Suite. I say it won't be touched. The extension will start at room 216 & 217. (I guess there is a possibility that they could do both, having the extension going from East to West essentially forming a box around the pool area).

For those of you not familiar with the Grand Californian, the area that the villas will be built is prime realestate. Having a Theame park view on one side, and a Pool View on the other. The theame park will literally be 30 feet or so from the building on the South and East side. This building will block many existing theame park views for regular guests of the GCH, and is probably going to piss off alot of the locals who like to stay there. (It like waiting 1 hour for a parade and then having a big family sit right in front of you).

Move over BCV and BWV, this location is a 1 min walk to DCA and a 5 min walk to Disneyland. This new property may arguably have the best view of any Disney resort. Couple this with the 1 Billion expansion of DCA just approved, and you have a small DVC property in high demand. I think if you don't own there it is going to be hard to get a reservation, even at the 7 month window. (However, if these sell out fast, which I think they must. I would not be suprised to see another DVC property pop up on the 45 acres next to the Disneyland Hotel).

This is such great news! :thumbsup2 Now I'll have to start saving for my sizeable add on. :scared1:

I am a little confused by this, since the area set aside for adding on is really an extension starting at room 216 & 217. (according to your map) If they built an extension from the Mount Whitney Suite, they would have to bulldoze Redwood Creek Challenge trail in DCA. (Something I do not think that they would do since it is one of the most popular parts of DCA) If you look at the other wing where room 216&217 are, the hallway goes right to the end. This area was intended for an expansion right from the beginning, and in fact was supposed to be a "phase II" of an expansion that was halted after the drop in tourisim surrounding Sept. 11th. I think the Cast Member may be wrong about the Mt. Whitney Suite. I say it won't be touched. The extension will start at room 216 & 217. (I guess there is a possibility that they could do both, having the extension going from East to West essentially forming a box around the pool area).

It's entirely possible I've got the position wrong- I was going off the rumors that the extension would be built on the grassy area that was formerly used for weddings. That lawn is straight off the rooms 012 - 014, and runs next to the Redwood Creek Challange Trail (which woudn't have to be removed). But it would seem to make more sense to go off rooms 216 & 217 and remove the parking lot instead. And looking at Google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=33.807483,-117.922391&spn=0.002411,0.004249&t=h&z=18&om=1

I notice that the parking lot would make a perfect footprint for an expansion, so maybe all the rumors about the expansion taking over the lawn are incorrect- perhaps it will be a short-term victim of construction, but return after all is done. Or, maybe they are going off both parts, or making a "T" at the end of the parking lot instead of an "L". I dunno, but I sure can't wait to find out!

It's entirely possible I've got the position wrong- I was going off the rumors that the extension would be built on the grassy area that was formerly used for weddings. That lawn is straight off the rooms 012 - 014, and runs next to the Redwood Creek Challange Trail (which woudn't have to be removed). But it would seem to make more sense to go off rooms 216 & 217 and remove the parking lot instead. And looking at Google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=33.807483,-117.922391&spn=0.002411,0.004249&t=h&z=18&om=1

I notice that the parking lot would make a perfect footprint for an expansion, so maybe all the rumors about the expansion taking over the lawn are incorrect- perhaps it will be a short-term victim of construction, but return after all is done. Or, maybe they are going off both parts, or making a "T" at the end of the parking lot instead of an "L". I dunno, but I sure can't wait to find out!
I think it will be the T setup you describe. (Based on past rumors that state the Valet parking lot would be moved across the street and the Villas expanding into it). This would make a T off of the front wing going east into the Grassy wedding area, and West into the Valet Parking lot. I don't think anything can be done with the wing that houses the Mt. Whitney suite due to it's location. (You really notice this when looking at your map, there is simply no room on that East wing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter