Throw away FP+ @ HS

This "person" is me and I booked 2 tier 1 rides on different days so I could do the rides we want . The op question was due to my SDD day being at 1pm and my throw aways are in the morning and was going to just not even go to HS till my SDD is ready. Did I do something wrong?
I read it to mean that you probably would have been able to use your SDD then get another Ter 1 for the same day (AS2) under the current system. I think "blocked" was meant to be "booked". At least, that's how I took it.

In reference to "tapping out/in," do you just go to the FP reader and tap your magic band and then walk away? Do the CMs notice or care that people are doing this?

Yep. Tap and walk away. Some CMs know exactly what you’re doing and others might look at you in confusion but it’s still no problem.
Okay, great info! Thanks so much. I am going to try that for our trip in February, assuming the Tier system remains as is.

Reactions: CJN
In reference to "tapping out/in," do you just go to the FP reader and tap your magic band and then walk away? Do the CMs notice or care that people are doing this?

We did exactly that several times last week. We got a few knowing grins. Others were a little confused, but nobody was upset or anything. They definitely noticed every time, though. No sneakily tapping then fading away in silence. LOL.

We did a tier 1 right at open, then grabbed Little Mermaid for an immediate time, tapped it, then added Disney Junior and tapped it. Then we could start making more tier 1 FP's within half an hour of park open.
Good plan. Unfortunately, for the day we are there, our FP for SDD is late afternoon. Now, if we can ride that first thing in the morning, we can change things.

We did exactly that several times last week. We got a few knowing grins. Others were a little confused, but nobody was upset or anything. They definitely noticed every time, though. No sneakily tapping then fading away in silence. LOL.

Why is this necessary? If your FPs expire without being used, you`re supposed to be eligible to pick a new Tier One FP. Right?

Why is this necessary? If your FPs expire without being used, you`re supposed to be eligible to pick a new Tier One FP. Right?

We burn FP's in order to be able to start making more tier 1 asap. If you're waiting for them to expire you're wasting hours of time that could be used to get more tier 1 FP's. Within half an hour of park open we were able to keep adding more tier 1 FP's.

Last edited:
On our first day we won’t be in HS until 4, so I plan to make throwaways before that. Doubt we will pick up another tier one on a busy day, but who knows?

We burn FP's in order to be able to start making more tier 1 asap. If you're waiting for them to expire you're wasting hours of time that could be used to get more tier 1 FP's. Within half an hour of park open we were able to keep adding more tier 1 FP's.

I see. But ourfirst two less-than-useful FPs are tucked away in the first two hours of park operation, before our SDD FPs.

On our first day we won’t be in HS until 4, so I plan to make throwaways before that. Doubt we will pick up another tier one on a busy day, but who knows?

There are lots of tier 1's available throughout the day at HS now. Even looking now for tonight, without any refreshing (for 3 people) this is what I found.

Screenshot_20190910-194349_Disney World.jpg

Related question (long winded)...

Make believe scenario... Let's say I am taking a Summer 2020 trip, and I only sign up for two FPs ahead of time - for argument sake, Star Tours at 3pm and ROTR at 4pm (I am pretending that ROTS gets FP at some point, just humor me...).

We tap in at Star Tours (3pm) and ride. For argument's sake, let's say we're out by 3:15pm.

We still have another tier 2 FP we could sign up for. TO CONFIRM - this FP would be under the "must be an hour away from your 4pm FP" rule - is that right? So I could not immediately sign up for a tier 2 FP at 3:16pm (because it would overlap with my 4pm). Correct???

I'm trying to strategize for a Summer trip - I am very keen to try ROTR (and I am naively thinking that (a) it will have FP and (b) that I will be able to GET one). Unfortunately, my daughter's favorite ride in HS is RNRC (all 90 seconds of it). So my (naive) hope is that we get a FP ahead of time for ROTR and then get another tier 1 FP (day of) for RNRC... (of course, with Disney playing with the tiering, who knows what it will look like this Summer...)

I suppose one option is to sign up for a tier 2 at 2pm (before we arrive) and hope that it magically counts as being "used" (even though most folks don't experience that...)

Or perhaps I get ROTR for 4:30pm (wishful thinking), in which case I would "beat" the 1 hour rule (and could get an immediate tier 2 for Muppets)...

And while I'm at it, another question - are there two entrances into the Star Wars area? One from Toy Story Land and one from "Grand Avenue"? (Looks that way on the map...)

Thanks to all!!

It's hit or miss. I had a couple last week that were before we got to the parks and I hoped they would expire so I could choose new tier 1s, but no such luck. They were still there hours later, so I had to modify and tap out. I have tried letting FPs expire a a few times in our last couple of trips and it has never worked for me.

Related question (long winded)...

Make believe scenario... Let's say I am taking a Summer 2020 trip, and I only sign up for two FPs ahead of time - for argument sake, Star Tours at 3pm and ROTR at 4pm (I am pretending that ROTS gets FP at some point, just humor me...).

We tap in at Star Tours (3pm) and ride. For argument's sake, let's say we're out by 3:15pm.

We still have another tier 2 FP we could sign up for. TO CONFIRM - this FP would be under the "must be an hour away from your 4pm FP" rule - is that right? So I could not immediately sign up for a tier 2 FP at 3:16pm (because it would overlap with my 4pm). Correct???

I'm trying to strategize for a Summer trip - I am very keen to try ROTR (and I am naively thinking that (a) it will have FP and (b) that I will be able to GET one). Unfortunately, my daughter's favorite ride in HS is RNRC (all 90 seconds of it). So my (naive) hope is that we get a FP ahead of time for ROTR and then get another tier 1 FP (day of) for RNRC... (of course, with Disney playing with the tiering, who knows what it will look like this Summer...)

I suppose one option is to sign up for a tier 2 at 2pm (before we arrive) and hope that it magically counts as being "used" (even though most folks don't experience that...)

Or perhaps I get ROTR for 4:30pm (wishful thinking), in which case I would "beat" the 1 hour rule (and could get an immediate tier 2 for Muppets)...

And while I'm at it, another question - are there two entrances into the Star Wars area? One from Toy Story Land and one from "Grand Avenue"? (Looks that way on the map...)

Thanks to all!!

You are correct that if it is after 3 and you have a 4 o'clock FP it won't let you get another one before 4. I would still try an earlier throw-away in the hopes it will expire. It works for some people. If that doesn't work. After you tap in for RoTR, get one for Muppets 3D. It's right outside Batuu. So tap out as you leave Batuu then search for another tier 1.

Remember, if your trip is several days long, put your HS day towards the end and go for RoTR first on your FP day.

YES, there are 2 entrances to Galaxy's Edge, but for most of last week they were using the one in Toy Story land as an exit only. I would guess during super busy times they may do that again.

This will most likely be my plan when our FP day comes up too. My kids are not interested in shows, so we will get a tier 1 then 2 random tier 2s but tap and go. Seems like such a waste...or maybe we will skips HS fastpasses, book another park for the afternoon and hop there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter