Tips for doing RunDisney races back to back

bellrae

DIS Veteran
So I had a moment of insanity and signed up for the Rebel Challenge :banana:

I was hoping some of the more experienced RunDisney folk out there might have some tips, tricks or links to resources on how to train for back to back races?

Would love to hear how other people have approached this :)

I'd just recommend training for it like you would for a half alone, maybe throw in 2-3 back-to-back runs during training. If you're trained for the half and take it easy during the races you should be fine.

This was my strategy for Goofy in 2013 - used a marathon training plan, threw in some back-to-backs and felt pretty good during race weekend :)

Mental preparation is almost as important.

Training for any race that is back to back...I would go slow but closer to the dates of the race...like end of Nov and Dec, I would do back to backs...just to get used to getting up early and going out there.

As for the mental part of it...I INSISTED I was going to love the race no matter what! I would smile and wave and look totally happy and I did!:rotfl:

I am doing Goofy this year and am doing a modified marathon plan that I used last year for my first marathon.

In order to prepare for Goofy, I will be doing back to back long runs. For example, if my weekly long run is 9 miles, then the day before that I will do a 4.5 mile run. As the mileage increases on the long run, so does the run immediately preceding it. I will get to a point where I am doing a 10 and 20 back to back days for at least two different weeks.

Once I get to the Disney Half, I will probably take it a little easier to conserve energy for the marathon the next day. Stretching afterwards and walking a little should also help to keep the muscles from tightening up.

So I had a moment of insanity and signed up for the Rebel Challenge :banana: I was hoping some of the more experienced RunDisney folk out there might have some tips, tricks or links to resources on how to train for back to back races? Would love to hear how other people have approached this :)
You can train for it just like you would a half. Back to back runs are helpful but not necessary. Since it's your first double race, I'd recommend going easy on both races and enjoying the experience. That should make the entire weekend more fun than busting out a PR in the first one and running the second on dead legs.

In order to prepare for Goofy, I will be doing back to back long runs. For example, if my weekly long run is 9 miles, then the day before that I will do a 4.5 mile run. As the mileage increases on the long run, so does the run immediately preceding it. I will get to a point where I am doing a 10 and 20 back to back days for at least two different weeks.

This is how I trained for my first back-to-back race (Goofy Challenge), and I had great races both days (though I did back-to-back runs every weekend). I use this same method for other 2, 3, and 4 day-in-a-row race challenges (including 10k/half combinations).

Good luck in finding the balance between under and over training, enjoy your running miles, and enjoy the challenge!!

I have been training for the Goofy this year. I base my training off the Jeff Galloway plan that they have on the RunDisney website. Pretty much what I have been doing the day before the long run, walk half the distance of the long run. I work to make sure that my walking pace is faster than 15 minute pace. To see how I would do, one weekend I walked 12 miles one day and ran 26 the next day. I also took an easy pace on the 26 miles. I was fine the next day. My goal is to run Goofy, but also be able to have fun at WDW. I am about to start the training plan for Goofy, but need to adjust it. I am now doing the Star Wars half too, so I need to take that in consideration for my training. Thinking of running half of my long runs the week after.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. My first distance event of any sort whatsoever was the 2011 Disneyland 1/2. To top it off, I can't run without experiencing severe back pain, so I choose to walk these events.

My desire to not wipe my legs out before the 1/2 led me to pass on the previous 5Ks before the main event, but my love of Star Wars and Disney won out and here I am signed up for the Rebel Challenge.

Since I'm walking these anyways, my tentative plan is to take it real easy for the 10K and finish so that I have sufficient strength for the 1/2 the next day.

Am I putting my 1/2 at risk by doing some very light touring in the parks after the 10K? I usually tour open to close, but that's not happening this time.

Like John mentioned, the back to back is helpful but not a must. The biggest thing is just getting the legs used to the pounding of the asphalt. I ran the Dopey and that was the major concern. Wasn't concerned with having the stamina to for the races, just the soreness. but just doing 2 or even doing 3 shouldn't be a problem. Just take the first easy where you'll be sure to have enough in the tank for the 1/2.

That's one good thing about Disney races, with the character stops and not really running for a PR, it almost forces you to take it easy. Compression sleeves to wear after and sleep in may be an idea as well.

The soreness for the 1/2 is my concern as well. Since my half pace is roughly 14:30 per mile and will likely be the same for the 10K, I don't want my legs to be too heavy during the 1/2.

This whole runDisney experience has me reflecting from time to time about what a Disney obsession can lead one to do. Throw Star Wars into the mix and I'm in huge trouble.

Speaking of soreness. Bio Freeze. That became my best friend during the race weekend this past January. Lucky that WDW has it available in many places during the races (half and full).

Between races in past I have also used the hot tub...there are yeah's and nay's to this idea. I have heard that it is bad for you and that it is good for you. For me it was a good thing. If anything, it helped me relax.

I love compression sox for a long distance. I swear by them. Plus in addition to going out and doing a lot of walking up steep hills (that is how I practice, by walking up hills) my legs were ready. In addition I did the Insanity program too which doesn't hurt....well it does hurt but in a good way.

Speaking of soreness. Bio Freeze. That became my best friend during the race weekend this past January. Lucky that WDW has it available in many places during the races (half and full).

Between races in past I have also used the hot tub...there are yeah's and nay's to this idea. I have heard that it is bad for you and that it is good for you. For me it was a good thing. If anything, it helped me relax.

I love compression sox for a long distance. I swear by them. Plus in addition to going out and doing a lot of walking up steep hills (that is how I practice, by walking up hills) my legs were ready. In addition I did the Insanity program too which doesn't hurt....well it does hurt but in a good way.

Oh and sign up for races during the year. I am signed up for a bunch of half marathons this year that are within a certain radius. Also a load of 5k's...just to get used to it.

Never done any major races back to back and since I'm doing Goofy I decided to go and buy a pair of Hoka one ones to use for my races this year including Goofy.After reading reviews on it that the thick cushioning helps recovery time I said I have to give them a chance.Normally I like a really flexible shoe and this shoe is the total opposite,but the cushioning is worth a shot.They're a tad heavier than what I wore at the marathon last year but not too bad.I've run in them twice and they feel big and bulky but aside from that I have no complaints.I bought them months before Goofy so I can wear them in other races and just get used to them.

Speaking of running shoes, I'd recommend having two pairs on hand for Goofy. Wear one in the half and the other one in the full. If it's at all wet for the half, you'll be glad to have a dry pair the next day. Even if it's dry, though, wearing a fresh pair on Sunday will make your feet happy.

Yes two pairs of running shoes is a good idea.
Getting fitted for the proper pair is the best plan to start.

My friend did the Goofy this year and just wore her usual Nike sneakers that she would wear anyday. Plus she wore a pair of sox that you can buy anywhere. Big mistake.

Her feet were all blistered and sore after the half! She couldn't do anything about the sneakers at that point...no place to get fitted for a proper pair but she at least spent about 10 bucks on a good pair of sox. That helped. She learned her lesson tho. Don't settle for the sale rack sneakers for a race like this!

I paid 150 for my Adidas sneakers and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. My feet were the last to bother me when I did the Dopey this year. Everywhere hurt but as long as my feet were okay..we were good.

Yup, got fitted for a pair of shoes back in January and they are amazing. Also bought the $20 socks from Lululemon and they have made a huge difference too. I had what a friend called "new shoe frenzy" - first run I wore them I was stripping a minute of each 1k split! :hyper:

Here are my 2 cents:

1. Yes to back-to-back training for mental purposes + a couple tips... When I trained for the Glass Slipper last year I did 5 back to back runs every other week and I did them at the same sort of "speed" I was planning to do the 10k. In my case, that meant I did not walk the 10k and run the half. Walking and running does use different muscles and I didn't want to mess up my legs for the half by rapidly walking 6 miles the day before. I did the back-to-back training mainly because I had literally NEVER run two days in a row before then. I was really nervous about pushing my body too much so I always had a rest day in between. For me the back-to-back training for GSC was a good opportunity for me to see that I actually could do it! I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a pretty good base though - so start early building base mileage. And on that note - make sure you plot out your weekly mileage to watch that the mileage doesn't jump too quickly due to adding a 4th run in there. keep the mileage build up slow and you should be good overall.

2. ICE BATH (at least for your feet) after the 10k. After the 10k, I ate, something, came back and iced my feet, took a nap, got a massage, had dinner, and went to bed. (In WDW you have to get up at a ridiculous hour. In DL it's not as bad.) That ice bath really really works!

3. Bring two pairs of shoes, but wear good shoes for the 10k also! I personally brought 3 pairs of shoes, probably all identical, I don't remember. I am a bit phobic about not having enough shoes because it took SO. Long. to find ones that fit well and worked for me. But if you see that it's not going to rain, wear your good shoes for the 10k also - last thing you want is bad shoes screwing you up for 13 miles the next day. I hear newspaper stuffed in shoes dries them out pretty well.

If I think of anything else, I'll pop back in. Have fun! It was a cool challenge and you can't beat extra bling!

I think the biggest thing you can take away from this thread is that you'll want to figure out what works best for you and carry that forward to race weekend. Example - some people (i.e. me) get benefit out of ice baths...some don't. You want to figure that out in the weeks leading up to the races.

I also second the recommendation for multiple pairs of shoes. Make sure you break both of them in ahead of time! :)

The power of the Force called DW and me to sign up for the Rebel Challenge. A little over two year ago both the wife and I were 160+ lbs heavier than we are now. She has really caught the running bug and the past Saturday finished her second 1/2 (1 more this year and ToT 10 Miler in Oct for her). My longest official race was a few 10k (ToT in Oct will then be my longest), and we ran 9.25 the other weekend in 85 degree heat and 80%+ humidity. It was after that run she decided to go ahead and run her second 1/2. The 9+ mile run felt fine for me so I don't think I will have any problem completing the 1/2 as we run well within the 16 minute limit, so even if we walked 1/2 of it, we wouldn't be swept. We have a few friends who are not runners at all that signed up for the 10k, and we planned on "running" the race with them at their pace. After the 10k, we plan on going back to our hotel and doing nothing all day and staying off our feet to prepare for our 1/2 on Sunday. Other than an ice bath and lots of Poweade, what else should we be doing the day of the 10k after that race to prepare ourselves for the 1/2 on Sunday? Since we can run 9 miles on a training run now, how much more do we need to train for the Rebel if we plan on going easy for the 10k?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter