Tips for doing RunDisney races back to back

My first back-to-back was last year's Dumbo. I did a Galloway plan modified by me and my physical therapist. I maxed out at a 10 or 11 mile long run, but did more mileage on the fallback weeks (6-8 mile long runs). Per Galloway, I briskly walked half the mileage of the long run a handful of times, but not every week. My plan was to walk, photo stop, and do a little jogging during the 10k, then try to PR the half with 1:1 run/walk intervals. Against all odds (pulling an all nighter then hopping on a plane the day before, crazy heat and humidity, sore feet before the races even started) I accomplished my goals. Great training is a powerful thing. ;)

Am I putting my 1/2 at risk by doing some very light touring in the parks after the 10K? I usually tour open to close, but that's not happening this time.
I would encourage touring at an easy pace and a sit-down dinner. Light walking is actually good to keep from getting too sore. I put my feet in cold water the night before both races and slept in compression sleeves.

For everyone, I highly recommend "legs up a wall" - you lie on your back with your butt against the wall and your legs straight up - in an L shape. Stay there for 5-10 minutes - I find it helps my legs feel a little more refreshed.

The speed is where I'm concerned. I don't have a lot of wiggle room to take either race easy since I power walk them both. At least training will give me some idea of what my legs will feel like for the 1/2.

Here are my 2 cents:

1. Yes to back-to-back training for mental purposes + a couple tips... When I trained for the Glass Slipper last year I did 5 back to back runs every other week and I did them at the same sort of "speed" I was planning to do the 10k. In my case, that meant I did not walk the 10k and run the half. Walking and running does use different muscles and I didn't want to mess up my legs for the half by rapidly walking 6 miles the day before. I did the back-to-back training mainly because I had literally NEVER run two days in a row before then. I was really nervous about pushing my body too much so I always had a rest day in between. For me the back-to-back training for GSC was a good opportunity for me to see that I actually could do it! I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a pretty good base though - so start early building base mileage. And on that note - make sure you plot out your weekly mileage to watch that the mileage doesn't jump too quickly due to adding a 4th run in there. keep the mileage build up slow and you should be good overall.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Couldn't agree more! Take the back-to-back training runs as you plan to race them but at a slower pace. I knew I'd be walking nearly all of the Royal Family 5K and would run/walk the Enchanted 10K and Princess Half, so that's what I did in training, too.

I'll add this nugget: NOTHING NEW ON RACE WEEKEND!!! That goes double for back-to-back racing. I stupidly wore a new, never gone long distance, pair of shoes for the PHM this year, and regretted that decision by mile 6. The remaining 7 miles were hell on my feet. Stupid. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter