To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 6 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 6.37.24 AM.png

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).
9/30/18 - T+D of 111, 60% cloudy, 24% rain, 8 mph E wind (At 11am, T+D is 115, and At 1pm, T+D is 120).
10/1/18 - T+D of 113, 81% cloudy, 55% rain, 8 mph ENE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 122).
10/2/18 - T+D of 115, 91% cloudy, 38% rain, 8 mph NE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 123).

This is why training runs in the rain are not to be scoffed at, right ?
{types person who did not go out in the cold rain for 3/3 days this week}

All a matter of choice. I like to run in all types of conditions to see how I handle them. Come race day I can be best prepared to handle adverse conditions. About the only thing I don't run in is lightning. 10 inches snow, rain, 50 mph wind, 177 T+D, -25 wind chill, and everything in between. Although I'm not sure I'd want to race in any of those extremes. Soon though I'll have a treadmill and will have a backup option for some of the extreme conditions I've run in. The family would like to see me stop running in such cold temps.

All a matter of choice. I like to run in all types of conditions to see how I handle them. Come race day I can be best prepared to handle adverse conditions. About the only thing I don't run in is lightning. 10 inches snow, rain, 50 mph wind, 177 T+D, -25 wind chill, and everything in between. Although I'm not sure I'd want to race in any of those extremes. Soon though I'll have a treadmill and will have a backup option for some of the extreme conditions I've run in. The family would like to see me stop running in such cold temps.
With the gear necessary for that, a TM might not be so expensive in comparison. I think -25 would require eye protection!

With the gear necessary for that, a TM might not be so expensive in comparison.

:rotfl2:

Not that far off. A membership to a gym would be a heck of a lot cheaper. I'd say the gear pales in comparison to the cost of the treadmill though. The Tread (if I get that one) is $4000. I doubt my running spending comes close to that if I don't count shoes and race entries. I've been pretty lucky with the cold weather gear because my wife gets a special Columbia coupon every year.

I think -25 would require eye protection!

8-)

I just wore a pair of my wife's sunglasses. They're "face shield" sized. So it worked. But nothing special really. I think the run was something like 8-10 miles.

8-)

I just wore a pair of my wife's sunglasses. They're "face shield" sized. So it worked. But nothing special really. I think the run was something like 8-10 miles.
I guess mine are not big enough! I decided my limit is 8* based on my eyes watering and tears freezing on my cheek. It was pretty windy, but I have decided unless I want to invest in ski goggles I am not going out in that this February.

Stopping by to catch up and wish you a great run!!

Thanks! What's next for you and @mateojr?

I guess mine are not big enough! I decided my limit is 8* based on my eyes watering and tears freezing on my cheek. It was pretty windy, but I have decided unless I want to invest in ski goggles I am not going out in that this February.

That's a much more sane limit. I did also wear a few scarves and such when it was -25. There wasn't much exposed skin.

Face shields:

IMG_1269.jpg

:rotfl2:

Well if it weren't from the Raynaud's then I certainly would keep doing it. But since my personal tolerance for cold seems to be higher than my body's it's forcing me to reconsider. Mostly because my blood vessels were popping in my hands/fingers and yet, other than them going numb about 30-45 min after finishing running on occasion, I couldn't tell. These days the steering wheel of the car seems to be the biggest culprit and I haven't figured out a good solution for that yet.

Well if it weren't from the Raynaud's then I certainly would keep doing it. But since my personal tolerance for cold seems to be higher than my body's it's forcing me to reconsider. Mostly because my blood vessels were popping in my hands/fingers and yet, other than them going numb about 30-45 min after finishing running on occasion, I couldn't tell. These days the steering wheel of the car seems to be the biggest culprit and I haven't figured out a good solution for that yet.

Some cars have heated steering wheels. I only know about the one my husband has, a Lincoln MKZ. Of course, I'm the one with Reynaud's and he's the one with the heated steering wheel, so go figure. When I was getting a new car, we searched for that and there were very few cars that had it, and none that I would want to drive.

They do make heated gloves, usually with some kind of rechargeable battery pack. I got a pair for my mom, who also has Reynaud's (and none of the meds work for her), but they are really bulky. Probably not good for driving. She uses them for when she has to take the dog out on really cold days.

Alternatively, the chemical hand warmers that you can fit in your gloves. I use the ones for feet when I visit up north over Thanksgiving and Christmas. But, that would get expensive and be a lot of waste if used daily. Might be a good solution for a long run a couple of times per week.

s-l640.jpg

I get the same thing. Didn't know what it was but my hands/fingers would always be numb after running in the winter and turn some awful colour as well. My wife saw it one day and said something to the effect of "That's not normal" and that's when I found out about Raynaud's. Now I go to gloves waaaay sooner than I used to and once it's a bit below freezing I'll wear ski mitts with hand warmers. It doesn't work 100% by any means but it does help. I still get numb fingers quite often (like RIGHT NOW for example), even during the summer. Sucks, but I'm just used to it.

Some cars have heated steering wheels. I only know about the one my husband has, a Lincoln MKZ. Of course, I'm the one with Reynaud's and he's the one with the heated steering wheel, so go figure. When I was getting a new car, we searched for that and there were very few cars that had it, and none that I would want to drive.

Yea, ours doesn't either. But the next one will.

They do make heated gloves, usually with some kind of rechargeable battery pack. I got a pair for my mom, who also has Reynaud's (and none of the meds work for her), but they are really bulky. Probably not good for driving. She uses them for when she has to take the dog out on really cold days.

I've looked at a few but haven't settled on any quite yet. But like you said, quite bulky.

Alternatively, the chemical hand warmers that you can fit in your gloves. I use the ones for feet when I visit up north over Thanksgiving and Christmas. But, that would get expensive and be a lot of waste if used daily. Might be a good solution for a long run a couple of times per week.

Yea, definitely not a cheap alternative.

NOW THAT'S what I'm talking about. LOL!

I get the same thing. Didn't know what it was but my hands/fingers would always be numb after running in the winter and turn some awful colour as well. My wife saw it one day and said something to the effect of "That's not normal" and that's when I found out about Raynaud's. Now I go to gloves waaaay sooner than I used to and once it's a bit below freezing I'll wear ski mitts with hand warmers. It doesn't work 100% by any means but it does help. I still get numb fingers quite often (like RIGHT NOW for example), even during the summer. Sucks, but I'm just used to it.

I feel your pain. Haven't quite figured out the working solution for me. But I've noticed over the last few years it's been getting worse. I definitely didn't have the popping of blood vessels in years past like I did this past winter. Made my hands so stiff and sore. I've got some heavy duty gloves and hand warmers and would double up on both. The hands were sweating. But even those days, I would still come home on occasion and have problems. But since it has gotten progressively worse, I'm just trying to come up with a compromise I can work with (like a giant pink fuzzy thing!).

3:28:46

Sorry (not sorry?) for the maybe esoteric Springsteen reference. :D Good luck, and have fun out there! Hugs to you and all the Dis-ers running Chicago this weekend! Definitely going to blast "Born to Run" in your (collective!) honor on Sunday!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter