To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Have you thought about significantly upping your carb intake beyond the 55/hour? In your last several marathons, you've fallen short of your goal time. I know you never fully hit the wall, but this could be time to start looking at new options to see if a different approach can make a difference.

That's a fair critique. I could consider increasing the Maurten to start to a full 17oz. If I time things correctly I've tolerated that before. That would push it to 70g carbs per hour. My best non-fade marathon ever was at 70g carbs per hour during Lakefront 2015 (PRd or came close to in the second half a 5k, 10k, and HM). I think I would struggle to get enough water on course to consume an extra E-gel since I'm already going to have to double up every aid station. Additionally between 4 Egels and 4 RunGum I'm not sure I have any space left in my pockets. I guess I could consider bringing the handheld or just carrying a 5th Egel for the first 45-60 min.

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 8 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 7.37.27 AM.png

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).
9/30/18 - T+D of 111, 60% cloudy, 24% rain, 8 mph E wind (At 11am, T+D is 115, and At 1pm, T+D is 120).

Looks like the temps are trending the wrong direction. Still good, but not spectacular. The silver lining is that looking through the entire 10 day forecast it's probably actually the best day.

With 7 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 6.21.38 AM.png

9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).
9/30/18 - T+D of 111, 60% cloudy, 24% rain, 8 mph E wind (At 11am, T+D is 115, and At 1pm, T+D is 120).
10/1/18 - T+D of 113, 81% cloudy, 55% rain, 8 mph ENE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 122).

Trending further from ideal conditions.

With 7 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

View attachment 355201

10/1/18 - T+D of 113, 81% cloudy, 55% rain, 8 mph ENE wind (At 11am, T+D is 121, and At 1pm, T+D is 122).

Trending further from ideal conditions.
Ugh I hope it’s not rainy... weather was looking so perfect on Friday too :-/

Ugh I hope it’s not rainy... weather was looking so perfect on Friday too :-/

Honestly, with the temps creeping up, a light misting rain would be nice because it forces clouds. But it's still way too far out for a precipitation forecast. The temp forecast is getting closer to reality though.

6 Days to Go (Unicorns are Awesome. I am Awesome. Therefore I am a Unicorn.)

IMG_1695.JPG

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

9/24/18 - M - OFF
9/25/18 - T - 6 miles @ EA (8:14)
9/26/18 - W - 2 mile WU + 5 miles BLIND M Tempo + 2 mile CD
9/27/18 - R - 60 min of indoor biking (20.5 miles)
9/28/18 - F - 5 miles @ EA (8:14)
9/29/18 - Sat - 5 miles @ EA (8:14)
9/30/18 - Sun - 5 miles @ EA (8:14)

Running duration = 4:08 hours
Running mileage = 30.0 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 1:00 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 20.5 miles
Total (training) duration = 5:08 hours
Total (training) mileage = 50.5 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = x/x (x%)

The goal for the week was "Don't get hurt."

Tuesday was a normal easy day. Just trying to maintain whatever fitness I've got. Finished up 6 miles in an 8:13 min/mile at a HR of 142 (historical long run HR). After this run, I went back and looked at the last several runs. I noticed since I restarted training my average HR in training runs has almost always been higher than 140. Since 140 is my classic LR HR, then it meant I wasn't really taking any day "easy" by my HR standards. So I knew after Wednesday's blind M Tempo I was going to need to pull back even more. I'd say the effort felt like easy, but the HR was still telling me otherwise.

Wednesday was a Blind M Tempo run. The last hard workout prior to Chicago. I had no real goal other than to have a consistent pace from start to end. I just wanted a realistic assessment from a single training run as to what felt right. From a blind perspective, I can't complain. I ran a 7:05, 7:04, 6:56, 7:02, and 7:03. So really consistent over the course of 5 miles. I was certainly not extremely tired when I finished, but it was a noticeable workout for sure. But the effort felt like maybe it was a touch beyond M Tempo. I wasn't able to pinpoint it exactly though. I kept feeling like I was letting off the gas a touch, but the pace seems to say I was rather consistent. The HR said otherwise though. Looking at the data, it suggested I was much closer to 10k pace than I was M Tempo pace. HR average was 159. Disney 10k was 155, Hot2Trot 10k was 158, and Bunny Time Trial 5ks were 159 and 161. It certainly didn't feel like a max effort 10k. So who knows whether the HR data is real or not at this point. I did get a bit frustrated during mile 3 of the blind run though. It wasn't hot, but I was ready for a really quick water break (like 10 sec). But when I ran up to my water bottle, it was gone. I saw it about 25 feet away under the swings and went and got it. The kids said "oh that was yours" and as I picked it up realized it was empty... So I just placed it back where it was on sped off again. I mean really. I'm doing a 1 mile loop and those kids have seen me over and over and over. But I guess passing by it every 7 min wasn't enough. At least it didn't get tossed. But I was definitely parched come the end of the 9 miler.

Thursday was a planned bike ride. Just trying to give my ankle a break. It's not worse, but it's not a ton better either. It comes and goes. The bike ride was just to get something in non-pounding and not new.

For Friday, Saturday and Sunday the taper was in full swing. The goal was a nice and easy 5 miler. Additionally, I was hoping to see my HR back in the 130s. I got an 8:39, 8:34, and 8:38 average pace for the three 5 milers. Average HRs of 136, 132, and 134. So much closer to where I'd want to be and much closer to classic EA HR. So not quite to pre-Madison Mini levels, but as close as I could get in this timeframe. We'll see what that translates to on race day.

A little bit of a summary of the 2018 Chicago Marathon Training Cycle

Total weeks – 16 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks – 15 weeks
Total non-recovery weeks running mileage – 551 miles (pre break was 425 miles in 8 weeks, and 126 miles in the last 7 weeks)
Average # of running miles during non-recovery weeks – 36.7 miles
Average # of running miles during weeks with running – 42.4 miles (pre break was 53 miles)
Total non-recovery weeks biking mileage – 598.9 miles
Total non-recovery weeks duration – 101:53:56
Average duration during non-recovery weeks – 6:48 hours
# of weeks over 8 hours training – 6/15 (40%) *4/15 were running weeks
# of weeks over 9 hours training – 1/15 (6%)
# of runs at 120 minutes – 3
# of runs over 120 minutes - 0
# of runs at 150 minutes (max duration) – 0
Longest training run - 16.36 miles on 8/8/18 (60 days prior to the race)

Honestly, with the temps creeping up, a light misting rain would be nice because it forces clouds. But it's still way too far out for a precipitation forecast. The temp forecast is getting closer to reality though.
You say warm, I already got my throw away clothes just in case. I suspect I may feel a little more chilly than normal considering how balmy the T+D of 157 felt today lol. Luckily I bought a light run jacket on sale this summer, so if it rains I’ll be ready! I feel like a Jamaican bobsleder lol.

You say warm, I already got my throw away clothes just in case. I suspect I may feel a little more chilly than normal considering how balmy the T+D of 157 felt today lol. Luckily I bought a light run jacket on sale this summer, so if it rains I’ll be ready! I feel like a Jamaican bobsleder lol.

:rotfl2:

Q1- is this the last unicorn graphic? they make me laugh and I would miss them.
Q2- I do not recall what your device is, but is it possible an optical sensor is wonky leading to the HR data? Particularly if it did not feel high, I would doubt the device.

Q1- is this the last unicorn graphic? they make me laugh and I would miss them.

There are two remaining based on the outcome of the race. It was a 12-month calendar, so I'm all out.

Q2- I do not recall what your device is, but is it possible an optical sensor is wonky leading to the HR data? Particularly if it did not feel high, I would doubt the device.

It's possible. It is an optical HR monitor, but nothing in the data suggests it was wrong. Like I've had a few bike rides recently that had my HR in the 170-200s which I knew wasn't real. But this was close enough to real for it to be believable. Hard to say anything definitive though. I know during the early parts of returning to run my effort and HR don't always match up well.

3:13:13 Because it looks cool and I want to ring the PR bell with you. If you end up doing something more unicorny then you can hit it with a sledgehammer. And if not, there's always donuts!!!

I'm catching up since I've missed a couple pages of posts :) Your house is looking great! And here's my guess
3:18:00

ETA...typo on my guess, that would have had you beating the world record by a lot! I fixed it :)

Last edited:
Oh and...

jim-carrey-batman-forever-riddler-i-am-a-winner.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter