To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

ugh i had been checking to see when they would release that. i knew i had to be 5 minutes faster but now that means 10 minutes :(

Are you trying to qualify to run the race, or just trying to reach the time? Because if you were already aiming for 5 minutes under, I think you're still on track. This just resets the process. In 2013, there was no additional cutoff, and I think the same thing will happen for 2020 at least. There will be fewer applications as people will be chasing the new times.

@Chasing Dopey i was trying to qualify which would have been 3:55 but i have always been aiming for 3:50, my PR is 3:54. I was thinking the same, i should be ok because i was aiming for 5 min under. I am reminding myself i have had a good training cycle and i am not injured. the weather may be a slight challenge been running in the heat and it will be quite cool, but much better for running. Trying to keep my chin up and still go for that BQ.

So my "you'll go into plaid" after achieving 88.8 miles per hour at 1.21 gigawatts from marathon weekend doesn't count? Now, you're making me work on a guess. :duck:

:P

I love stone.

Thanks!

So... Anyone see the news out of Boston? I don't think it changes anyone's calculations for those planning to run if they qualify, but I feel bad for people just chasing the times.

Yea, I saw that in the Chicago thread. Doesn't change anything for me. I will run my best race and it is what it is. This go around I've turned off the buzzing on my watch and everything. I'll toe the line and run, run, run. Clear mind and a smile on my face.

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 10 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 6.20.26 AM.png

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).

THE Chicago Marathon Weather Update!

With 10 days to go! The weather forecast using the "Chicago Loop" weather station.

View attachment 354588

9/27/18 - T+D of around 105, maybe cloudy, maybe rain
9/28/18 - T+D of 100, 26% cloudy, 12% rain, 8 mph NNW wind (At 11 am, T+D is still only 104, and At 1pm, T+D is still only 103).
I hope that weather forecast holds! It sounds like great running weather. Last year was soooo hot!

3:33:33 Would be a cool number, why not? Besides I'm going to slow you down until you ditch me :headache:

Are you trying to qualify to run the race, or just trying to reach the time? Because if you were already aiming for 5 minutes under, I think you're still on track. This just resets the process. In 2013, there was no additional cutoff, and I think the same thing will happen for 2020 at least. There will be fewer applications as people will be chasing the new times.

Agreed...I would be shocked if people aren't getting in with their new times. No need to go 5 minutes under BQ for 2020.

3:08
I realize you say you are not trained as you would like, but I anticipate it would be better than your Madison Mini would predict as (1) weather! (2) you will have fewer nutrition problems. 20% better? Maybe.

I will miss the unicorn photos!

@CheapRunnerMike i have talked myself off the ledge. I always thought i needed to go 5 under the old BQ so i have been preparing for that. It is no different should just mean if i go under 3:50 (as i wanted and planned) i should get in. Let's hope the weather holds out. Hope to see everyone on Sat morning for that shake out run and see what its like to run in 50 weather again.

@CheapRunnerMike i have talked myself off the ledge. I always thought i needed to go 5 under the old BQ so i have been preparing for that. It is no different should just mean if i go under 3:50 (as i wanted and planned) i should get in. Let's hope the weather holds out. Hope to see everyone on Sat morning for that shake out run and see what its like to run in 50 weather again.

Yeah, you're good to go!

Running the carb consumption strategy through my head. I plan to follow the Western Australian Method for Carb Loading again this time. Although, I'm going to do it on Thursday (10/4) instead of Saturday (10/6). The research shows that as long as the running is kept to 20 min or less at nice and easy paces and you replenish right afterwards, then you'll maintain glycogen super compensation.

So Thursday will look like this for me:

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.35.42 AM.png

165 pound (a guess) male. The time shown above (1:33:00) has no impact on the amount of carbs to consume in a day. So to reach 10.3 g carbs/kg bw, then I need to consume 772.5 g carbs. I've done this a few times and it's been tolerable. I actually went back and looked at my diet tab and determined that I normally consume 5.1 g carb/kg bw on a non-running day, 5.9 g carb/kg bw on an easy running day, 8.1 g carb/kg bw on a moderate running day, and 9.3 g carb/kg bw on a very long running day. So 10.3 isn't that much of a stretch for me already.

So 772.5 total carbs needed, of which 80% will be liquid sourced (618 g carbs). Every time I've done this protocol prior, I've used E-Fuel (Crank Sports and makers of E-Gel). But this time around, I'm trying Maurten Drink Mix 320 primarily because it requires significantly less water for it to be absorbed. So, I'll need to consume 7.8 packets with 133 ounces of water (just over a gallon) over the course of Thursday. So, I'll probably do a packet an hour for 8 hours.

In addition, I'll need to consume 154 g carbs, 64 g protein, and 9.5 g fat from actual food sources.

The hope is this will provide a boost of glycogen storage from 100% to 190%. Thus, enabling me to store 2394 kcals of glucose rather than 1260 kcals.

During the race, I'll have 4 E-gels and 4 packets of 100mg RunGum with me. I also plan to drink 8 oz of Maurten Drink Mix 320 at the starting line (instead of the 79g I consumed at the Madison Mini, followed by carrying the Maurten and getting to about 112 in an hour or above the maximal consumption rate). So since the 8 oz of Maurten is isotonic it requires no other water to absorb. So the key is making sure I time the other water intake to allow the E-Gel to be absorbed. At 37g per packet, that means I need 18.5 ounces of water consumed prior to each packet. Since the weather looks nice, I probably won't have to go higher than this.

So I checked out the race map:

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 9.47.47 AM.png

Normally, I would have broken up the consumption into 30-45 min chunks, or around 5 miles. But in looking at the aid station locations that might get tricky. There are only two aid stations between the start and mile 5. So that would require about 10 oz of water to be consumed at each to have enough water on board to take on an E-gel. 10 oz at a water station is probably tricky since each cup usually has about 3 oz in it. So I'd probably have to triple cup to get enough water. But if I moved that first E-gel to mile 6, I gain another 2 aid stations. So first E-gel at 6 miles, if I get two cups per station. Mile 11 would be the next logical place for another E-Gel with another 3 aid stations between. Then Mile 15, with 4 stations between. Then Mile 20, with 4 stations between. The moral of the story though is in order to consume 4 E-gels throughout the course, then I need to drink 2 cups of water from every aid station.

In addition to the E-gels at Mile 6, 11, 15, and 20 (which will all be 30-45 min apart), I will also be taking a RunGum 100mg at the start, mile 7, 14 and 21 (another maximum at 400mg caffeine in a day).

So the consumption rate of E-Gels gets me to about 55 g carb per hour (give or take depending on finish time).

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 10.01.00 AM.png

So if I go back to the math, then with a Western Australian Carb Loading method I'm estimating that I probably wouldn't even need to consume any carbs while running. But if I choose to consume carbs at a rate of 55 g/hr, then I'm looking at being around mile 33 (or long after I'm done) before I would hit glycogen depletion. So why even consume carbs during the race at all? Well, I'm hedging my bet on the carb loading doing anything. If the carb load fails to hit an average performance (190%) and say 130% instead, then I'd need about 55 g carbs per hour to make it to mile 26 at a 83% VO2peak. So I'm trying to achieve the same goal from two different angles.

I’m beyond stoked for the weather report!! If it holds that would be dreamy weather for this Fl runner :sunny:

Have you thought of taking caffeine pre race? Supposedly caffeine helps you use fatty acids in your blood stream for energy reducing your need for glycogen. If your brain slows/stops you before you completely use up your glycogen for survival, then supposedly you can trick your brain to let you run faster by the keeping your glycogen stores higher early on.

I’m going all Maurten! I’m going w/320 pre race w/ a caffeine pill, and then 4 of the 100 gels w/ 1 run gum during. I just bought the run gum, so I’ll be testing it soon... but I should be fine as long as I’m comfortable chewing while breathing. Lastly, for my breakfast I’m going to go with my typical carrot and apple juice combo in addition to my meal for potassium and a few other electrolytes. That should be more than enough electrolytes for this weather. Combined with a carb load I should be nutritionally ready:car:
Thoughts?

I’m beyond stoked for the weather report!! If it holds that would be dreamy weather for this Fl runner :sunny:

Absolutely!

Have you thought of taking caffeine pre race? Supposedly caffeine helps you use fatty acids in your blood stream for energy reducing your need for glycogen. If your brain slows/stops you before you completely use up your glycogen for survival, then supposedly you can trick your brain to let you run faster by the keeping your glycogen stores higher early on.

I plan to chew one RunGum packet at the start. So I'll have that caffeine about 10-15 min prior to race start.

I’m going all Maurten! I’m going w/320 pre race w/ a caffeine pill, and then 4 of the 100 gels w/ 1 run gum during. I just bought the run gum, so I’ll be testing it soon... but I should be fine as long as I’m comfortable chewing while breathing. Lastly, for my breakfast I’m going to go with my typical carrot and apple juice combo in addition to my meal for potassium and a few other electrolytes. That should be more than enough electrolytes for this weather. Combined with a carb load I should be nutritionally ready:car:

So the Maurten 320 is 79g carbs. The Maurten 100 is 25 g each. So you're looking at 179g carbs in total. If you ran the race in 3 hours, that's 58.6 g carbs/hr. So about the same as me. The key will be you'll have to wait to consume the first Maurten 100 until at least 50-60 min after the Maurten 320. So around mile 7-8.

The key then with a 58.6 g carb/hr is you'll likely need a good carb loading the day prior (or more) to make sure you've got enough on board. This assumes a normal metabolic efficiency of which yours may be better or worse. Overall though, I'd say a solid strategy.

But we both know more than nutrition where your run will be won or lost. Pacing. Got to keep yourself in check in the early part of the race. Conserve, conserve, conserve. And we've worked hard on that all training cycle. So use all those lessons learned to run a solid race.

But we both know more than nutrition where your run will be won or lost. Pacing. Got to keep yourself in check in the early part of the race. Conserve, conserve, conserve. And we've worked hard on that all training cycle. So use all those lessons learned to run a solid race.
I love this and really need to make sure I remember it come marathon weekend. Sometimes I forget to fuel in training or even races. I can get away with that in a half, but I need to make sure that doesn't happen with the marathon.

So the Maurten 320 is 79g carbs. The Maurten 100 is 25 g each. So you're looking at 179g carbs in total. If you ran the race in 3 hours, that's 58.6 g carbs/hr. So about the same as me. The key will be you'll have to wait to consume the first Maurten 100 until at least 50-60 min after the Maurten 320. So around mile 7-8.

I’ve been practicing during training, I get my carbs in about 15-30 min pre run and wait until about an hour before I take my first gel. According to Hansons carb calc I only need 104-150 g of carbs, but I figured I’d aim high just to be safe. I thought about sticking with e-gel but the maurten are easier for me and I don’t feel as thirsty. I still love e-gel for training though with my heat.

Amen! I’m thinking of taking those first 3-4 Miles extra extra easy like I did in the half. I feel like every training run I’ve successfully executed that, has ended really well lol. Also, I stood up today and was shocked... I wasn’t tired or sore lol... so foreign!:yay:

Have you thought about significantly upping your carb intake beyond the 55/hour? In your last several marathons, you've fallen short of your goal time. I know you never fully hit the wall, but this could be time to start looking at new options to see if a different approach can make a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter