To those going in August...do you have PS's for after 6 at MGM or MK?

I had called on the 60 day mark to make ps for crystal palace on Aug 8, I was told 5:30 was the latest, I just called back last week and got it changed until 6:45pm.

Wow--this IS interesting. I called today to try to change my 8/10 5:55 ps to later and was told the latest time was 5:40, which is what I've been told the last week. I guess I will keep trying though. I wonder why they're doing this--never did before.:confused:

Is it better to have an early or late PS at MGM if you're hoping on a fantasmic package.

Also, this is curious. I wonder why the MK and MGM are having such limited, early hours for dinners?

Does anyone know?

KIS

I called less than 60 days before and got a 8pm PS for HBD on 08/27. This was the time I requested and had no problems. The PS is only for 2 adults so maybe that makes a difference?

I called today to see if I could get my Brown Derby Fantasmic PS changed to a later time (scheduled for 5:10...end up missing parade!). I had them check from 8/17-24 and they could not find an open later time. During the course of conversation, I was told the latest time for Fantasmic PS would be 6.

A friend of mine booked the FTP and she mentioned the CM advised her to be sure she booked her Fantasmic dinner package as it was sure to go quickly because of the popularity of FTP. so maybe that's the reason for later times being booked up?:confused:

It seems like those of us who are really having a problem are those of us who are trying to book in the earlier part of the month. Would you guys agree?

we ran into problems at the mk and mgm as well 8/16-8/23. i called back last week and was able to get some later times, so i think that the theory of them holding back later times is a good one.

I'm having the same problems for the week of 8/18-8/23. The latest PS I could get for the character dinner at Liberty Tavern was 4:30 on 8/19. For the FDP on 8/23 at H&V, the latest time was 5:30.

I was able to make later PS's for Spoodles and Living Seas.

I have a PS for Liberty Tavern on 7/31 and was told the latest they were taking seating was 5:45 PM. I have a 5:30 PS and have been trying to get this changed for the last 2 months. CM didn't know what was going on at the time. They said MK must be closing early. I told him that they had just extended the hours until 10 and that it was an e-night. Then he said it must be a party. So, I think some CM's just make up thing when they don't know. Anyone have a later PS for Liberty Tavern on 7/31?

I was able to get a 6:30 PS for Brown Derby on 12 August for the Fantasmic Package. I called on day 60 and did not have a problem. I don't know if it's because we are on the Dream Maker Silver Package we were able to get the time frame we asked for. But the CM I talked to never hesitated about the time frame. This is kind of strange :confused:

Same trouble here. We called today (60 mark) for MK Plaza at 5:30 on 9/13. Quote from the DU agent: Latest they have is 4:30.
I think the OP is correct. With the economy and WDW cutbacks, it makes sense. Open the restaurant, fill the early seatings. Then only when those get to a certain % full, open up more tables later in the evening. That way if there is low demand they can close the restaurant early and save $$. The other approach (like in the past, get anytime you want from the beginning) may lead to a fairly empty restaurant all evening, which is bad business. You lose money having to stay open, keep food hot, and keep waiters in the place who aren't working.
I think it's terrible, and most likely they will be open much closer to closing time (I mean, MK on a Sat night, when it's the first Spectro in over 2 weeks, come on, MK is guaranteed to be crowded), but the best we can do is change the PS as our arrival gets closer.
Just my $0.02 . . . I hope I'm wrong. I'd certainly like some confirmation from someone in the know.

I had the same problem...

The latest PS I could get for Sci Fi was 6:00...and I called early on.

I wondered, because in the past I was able to get later PS's without a problem...

Sue

Called again today and asked if they were just filled to capacity or not taking PS's later and she said they were totally booked. I, too, called at the 60 day mark, so I'm a little baffled as to why they could've been booked so quickly. It seems people had better luck with the FDPs though.

As someone who worked in restaurants for years, I can understand they don't want to operate a fully staffed restaurant when they're not sure they're going to fill all the tables - but hey, that's the nature of the business. You don't see your local Olive Garden shuttering their doors at 7:00 just because the place is empty. They do what all restaurants do, they send people home. God help the poor employees that are still there when suddenly the place gets slammed - but that's how it goes.

WDW, being the vacation mecca that it is, is really shooting themselves in the foot by closing restaurants early - it can only lend to a feeling of desperation and decay. If you're walking through the MK and all you're seeing is locked doors, you're going to think "ghosttown". Not at all the image they portray in their ads, and certainly not the image those of us who have been going for years have in our fondest memories.

I wish they would re-think this policy.:(

grinningghost - I totally agree with you. It would really send a bad PR message to guests and give a "run-down, has-been" kind of feel. I so hope that we are wrong.
I am hoping that since we are planning to visit on such a potentially busy day that the PS really did sell out at the 60 day mark for the Plaza. I mean, doesn't everyone want to be on Main Street at Spectro time? I would rather miss getting a PS due to crowds than see closed doors.
We don't have our hearts set on the Plaza anyway, so it's no big loss to us, just strange, very strange.

I agree that if they are trying to close down early by squishing everyone in early in order of how they book, then it stinks! Somehow I find being forced to eat dinner at 4:30 for trying to book asap is totally unfair. Especially if someone else calls up 10 days in advance and can get an ideal dinner time. Obviously ideal isnt the same to everyone, and we actually are early eaters, but 4:30 when on vacation is way too early for us...especially when we want to see the parade at 5:00. Its almost like we are punished for planning correctly and those who dont plan will benefit. If they open up bookings at 60 days out, they should open up ALL bookings.
I guess we will just have to call and bother them every few days to see if anything opens up. :rolleyes:

Well, I called a minute ago for the Plaza Restaurant in MK August 23rd OR 30th for 6:30pm or 7pm (2 adults) and they still had nothing after 4:30pm. I also called on the 60 day mark originaly so I don't know how it could be booked up in a day! I am hoping we can still get into the Plaza for dinner one of our days at MK but I like to be sure ahead of time:)

This is just too weird. I just spoke with Tate at Disney Dining. She seemed unfamiliar with the PS policy at the Plaza and had to look it up to see if they take walk-ups?! Anyway, quoting from her computer screen "Restaurant hours will vary and may not reflect park hours." She could not tell me Plaza hours for 9/13, only that they are only taking PS from 4:00-4:50pm for dinner!!!! The latest for a family of 4 is 4:30. I said, "So they are only open for 1 hour for dinner?" "Not necessarily, but they are only taking PS for that one hour. I don't know if they will take walk-ups." This is just getting stranger. I guess we will just eat counter service if we aren't hungry at 4:30pm.
Disney needs to rethink this policy or give us an explanation so we can have an understanding of the situation and plan around it.

We went the first week in July and I had the same problem when I tried to make PS back in May. I could not get anything late, even thought I knew the parks were open late. When we got there we called to make PS for some CP and Chef Mickeys on days we didn't already have any and we had no trouble getting them. They were for like 7:30 or 7:50pm. The only conclusion I ccan come to is that they are booking early times for those that call ahead, and if you call at the last minute you can get late times. It seemed to work that way for us. I usually feel compelled to plan all my days and PS, but I left some open this time, and had no problem. I was surprised.

Here's a BUMP

And a question - I leave in less than 2 weeks. Has anyone had luck getting a later seating by calling this close to leaving? Or should I just wait until I get there and try getting one then?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter