TR-Mission:Exploration of new worlds by Capt’n Wrongway Wendy-Complete

Love the Skye accommodation!!

You took the cable car up Ben Nevis???? :thumbsup2 (we walked!!!)

"If it's one thing I can't stand, it's people groveling."

So farewell to Edinburgh til next time. An interesting place to visit but we didn't fall in love like we do in some places.

Edinburgh would be one of my favourite places. It probably helped that we went during the festival so everyone was in the mood for a fun time.

Thanks for sticking with me PIO especially with you and many regulars so busy planning those fast approaching trips! Getting exciting!

I'll keep plugging away with this TR as always useful when some-one else comes to plan a trip as well as an account for me to use when scrapbooking/photobooking. Spain might be up by the time you get back!! I despair Ms Shuttergirl's ever will be!! (shh she might hear me!) and her pics of Scotland/DLP etc will be so much better than ours.

:wave: Wendy, I'm still here! I'm with you all the way to Spain. Can't wait for that report!!

Guys - I wasn't having a dig - I meant it - you are all too busy planning your trips to spend time on TR but its there when anyone comes to do some planning.

I didn't take it as dig. TR's are like a good book that you can pick up and read when you want.

Any idea how long a rotation on the Falkirk Wheel takes?

Your Skye accommodation looks fabulous. Lucky you having the broccoli and stilton soup. How was it?

Love the Skye accommodation!!

You took the cable car up Ben Nevis???? :thumbsup2 (we walked!!!)

Why does that not surprise me!! If we'd done that they would have had to send out search and research unless we'd set off in the am! You also wouldn't have got into DD and I contretemps (almost) on the Quirang walk!

:wave: Wendy, I'm still here! I'm with you all the way to Spain. Can't wait for that report!!

Any idea how long a rotation on the Falkirk Wheel takes?

Your Skye accommodation looks fabulous. Lucky you having the broccoli and stilton soup. How was it?

:wave2: Hi MinnieMum. Good to know you are sticking with the long haul.

One rotation boat ride takes about 50 mins to an hour they say (as they take you up and along the top canal then around and back down) but if in own canal boat takes about 15 mins to transfer between one canal to the next.

Broccoli and Stilton soup was delicious-not too sickly or cheesy as I thought it might be...perfect balance with a subtle vegetably-cheesy flavour. Doubt I could recreate at home given I am only an average cook (sacrilege to confess to in this era when everyone is a Master Chef or aspires to be!).

Day 19 Thurs 30th Haggis, hills and hights

Woke to warm sunny weather  perfect for touring. Tucked into a full cooked breakfast preceded by fruit and yoghurt. DH tried haggis (the black speckly stuff in the pic below)-DD and I had a taste  all agreed, not for us. It was peppery spicy but had a funny gritty texture we didnt like.

Our fellow guests were mad keen hikers who did massive 20km+ treks each day into the most wildest spots and being considerably older than us put us to shame! We headed off for a day exploring the Trotternish Peninsula.

Our first stop was just down the road at a waterfall by Loch Ainort.

Then we came across some highland cattle who were posing perfect for pics. Many had cute young calves. DD and I were a bit wary of their big horns.

Cute baby

I think this needs a caption

The Old Man of Storr-a popular walk but we decided on the Quiraing instead.

First a look at Loch Mealt and Kilt Rock and Mealt waterfall. Love the cliffs here.

At the Quiraing-note the Gaelic

The path can be seen as a tiny line to the left-those cliffs are high!

Looking back over the road we drove up

Sheep

Off we go

Dont jump

Aaaah!

Crossing a landslip

The view downwards

Looking back at it. The couple are trying to coax their scared little dog across.

More views

Chocolate stop

Continued next post.

Part 2

Climbing up another slippery scree slope

Then I get this silly idea that I want to see into the flat, hidden area known as the Table, up behind the Needle, where locals used to hide their cattle from rustlers. It looks steep but this young German guy just runs up so DD and I head up. Sensible DH stays behind.

Turned out it was much much MUCH steeper than it looks-we ended up climbing up on all fours at one point and I think we both thought-how are we going to get back down- but you know how it is-its easier to keep climbing at that point!

Us going up

We made it! But now we have to get down :scared1:

From the Needle, trying to convey the steepness-that jaggedy cliff below-we were at the bottom of that.

Views from behind the Needle looking out

And in the corrie behind the Needle – decided by now it was too much of a scramble and take us too long to actually keep climbing up into the Table (and DH is waiting patiently at the bottom busting for a pee!) - how the cattle got up here is anyone’s guess.

No pics of us sliding down on our bums as DH was too busy watching us with trepidation! But here are some panoramas he took while he was waiting for us. What is sickening the young guy who had run up into the Table then back past us, just ran down the hill zigzagging while we slid from tussock to tussock hanging on in a controlled slide and not daring to stand up. Well DD did once half way down, slipped backwards and didn’t try again!

Duffy tried some mountain climbing of his own. We were surprised throughout Scotland compared to our national parks, how its so wild with no safety warnings or bridges over stream gorges and people have their dogs with them etc.

Back in the car around 2pm-good job we had a good breakfast, and driving around the tip of the Peninsular. Couldn’t find a handy tea shop anywhere. Views of the Quiraing from another side.

Tulm Bay panorama with the ruins of Duntulm Castle on the headland-this is at the tip of the Trotterness Peninsual.

Skye Museum of Island Life with its traditional cottages

Flora MacDonald’s Grave in Kilmuir cemetery-she who helped Bonnie Prince Charlie escape.

Finally we ended up late afternoon in the main town of Portree. Headed down to the Harbour and bought fish and chips to eat sitting in the sun on the harbour wall. Usual UK greasy fish and chips-never seem to find decent fish and chips over here.

Decided as it not yet 6pm we would go for a drive around another arm towards Dunvegan Castle. Here it is

Continued next post

Part 3

We stopped in the village of Uig on the way home to check out the standing stone.

Climbing up to the stone (DH stayed behind as always)

Channelling the stone

Looking back at the town and DH

Looking out to the headland

Back on the road to home a panorama with the Cuillans (known to those of us bookworms who read William Horwoods Stonor Eagles).

And us

and sheep who kneel to eat. Loved the way bubs copied Mum. Have been amused by all the lambs gambolling along in the fields and headbutting mum quite violently to get milk.

Further along a close up of the Cuillans

And sunset day 2.

Captns Highlights: The entire day filled with beautiful scenery
Captns Lowlights: Maybe the fear factor when we realised wed embarked on a climb much steeper than we should have tried! Disappointment we never made it all the way up into the Table (and missed the route I meant to take from the car park that would have taken us over the top so we would have looked down into it then gone down hill and round and back).

Wendy!!! Such beautiful scenery depicted in your amazing pictures.

Thanks for sharing. I feel like I've been on that walk with you....only without the sore muscles.

I've been following your TR since you posted the DLP days over on the Paris section of the forum.

I'm a bit ashamed that you've seen more of the UK in a few weeks, then I've seen in 29 years! Shockingly, I've never been to Scotland - but your pictures really make me want to go! :goodvibes

Hello HappyPanda :wave2:

Welcome to the ANZAC board.

We hadn't been to Scotland before though and we have made several trips to the UK as I came from there originally (left when I was 11) but always visited somewhere else-mostly in Europe when visiting the friends and rellies was over. We have seen quite a bit of Wales and the southern parts (Devon, Cornwall) as thats where we holidayed when I was a child and I wanted to revisit. Before this trip we had been as far north as York-I would like to visit the Border areas one day too...and the Lake District..and rent a cottage somewhere and just go for walks along cliff tops ...and...and....

You are so lucky having the continent on your doorstep though-so many places to visit a train ride away. Next post another day on Skye and then over to Kingussie via Inverness - did we see the Loch Ness monster??

Next post another day on Skye and then over to Kingussie via Inverness - did we see the Loch Ness monster??

If you did AND also managed to grab a nice clear shot of Nessie.....I would recommend that you auction it to the highest bidder FIRST before posting here. :thumbsup2

Just caught up on your TR :thumbsup2

It looks amazing so far! You were so lucky in Paris and DLP with the crowds (or lack thereof), and pretty lucky with the weather too so far.

I won't comment on anything specific, because I've made that many comments in my head as I go along, that I'd be here all night :rotfl:

Will be hanging out for the next instalment :goodvibes

zanzibar-how was your trip to north Qld - you haven't commented anywhere that I have seen?

No I haven't commented anywhere yet.

I was a lovely break :goodvibes Could have done with a few more weeks though :rotfl:

We really enjoyed the train ride (and saddened to hear that it's finishing up at the end of the year :sad2:), Townsville was nice and relaxed, and Magnetic Island was a great little getaway. Unfortunately it wasn't really warm enough for beaches, but luckily the rain stayed away and we got some nice walks in.

Unfortunately DH came down with a bad toothache when we got to Magnetic Island, so we had to catch the ferry back to Townsville at the crack of dawn the next morning to see the dentist :rolleyes2 But we did stumble across some nice gardens on our way, so the morning wasn't entirely wasted.

Wo - I have just caught up on your TR.

Love all your photos, I will be going back through for my DLP tips, and have a mental note to allow a whole day for HP Studios.

DD has a Phoenix and a wand from the the trip to universal last year, and scarves and t-shirts from the exhibit in Sydney, so fingers crossed the gift shop has nothing extra that needs to be added to their collections....

No I haven't commented anywhere yet.

I was a lovely break :goodvibes Could have done with a few more weeks though :rotfl:

We really enjoyed the train ride (and saddened to hear that it's finishing up at the end of the year :sad2:), Townsville was nice and relaxed, and Magnetic Island was a great little getaway. Unfortunately it wasn't really warm enough for beaches, but luckily the rain stayed away and we got some nice walks in.

Unfortunately DH came down with a bad toothache when we got to Magnetic Island, so we had to catch the ferry back to Townsville at the crack of dawn the next morning to see the dentist :rolleyes2 But we did stumble across some nice gardens on our way, so the morning wasn't entirely wasted.

Sorry about DH tooth but glad you had a nice albeit short, break. I didn't know the train was finishing. How is your knee going with your training for your marathon trip next year?

Sorry about DH tooth but glad you had a nice albeit short, break. I didn't know the train was finishing. How is your knee going with your training for your marathon trip next year?

Yeah we were very surprised to hear it too!

Have just managed to start my training again now that the gym has finally opened :thumbsup2 So far out of 3 classes I've had a wrist injury and an ankle injury, but hoping things will improve as I get stronger and fitter!

Gorgeous photos Wendy. Like PiO, I was huffing and puffing along with you on your hike up to the Needle. I even threw in a few choice words to the German guy who ran up. :thumbsup2 Getting down, did it cross your mind that you should have picked up a few more tips on how to teleport at the HP museum? :teleport:

If you did AND also managed to grab a nice clear shot of Nessie.....I would recommend that you auction it to the highest bidder FIRST before posting here. :thumbsup2

:lmao:

Yeah we were very surprised to hear it too!

Have just managed to start my training again now that the gym has finally opened :thumbsup2 So far out of 3 classes I've had a wrist injury and an ankle injury, but hoping things will improve as I get stronger and fitter!

I think we need to wrap you up in cotton wool.

I think we need to wrap you up in cotton wool.

And now I've come down with a bad cold and missed 3 sessions (well technically 2 so far, but I won't be up to going tonight)! :furious: Can't catch a break!

Re Zanziabar - now thats why I'd take teleportation over exercise any day-lol!

Wendy I think you have the right idea :thumbsup2 Although I do need to stop myself becoming the size of a house somehow - and God knows it's not going to be by giving up chocolate lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter