Trip Report-Disney Dream, BLT, Animation resort and SSR.

So I got a response from David's today that I wasn't expecting.

There is availability at the AKV for my third choice BUT they don't have enough points at present to book it for me.

:headache: So frustrating to know the room is there, but I can't grab it. It sounds like they are really short on points for all resorts except OKW and SSR. Unfortunately I'm not so keen on these resorts.

Anyway they asked if I wanted to be put on a waiting list. They expect AK points to become available within the next few weeks, but there is no guarantee there will still be availability at the resort by then. I've been put in the queue, but in the meantime I'm also doing some research now into the DVC Rental Store. Anyone know anything about them?

I'm so frustrated now that I have to go to work. I want to sit at home and research DVC brokers :laughing:

Hi Kyl, I have been reading your posts with interest as we plan on doing a Bahamas cruise and AofA stayimmediately afterwards.

If I could ask a few questions regarding the cruise?

First is about tipping. I note you said it is customary to tip the servers in one go. Is this done at the end of the cruise? Is it done by cash? How much is "recommended"? (cruisers will be self and one primary school aged child)

Second is about the luggage. I think you noted you needed to have your bags ready the night before disembarkation? I know this is probably a no-brainer question but does that mean you have to bring an overnight bag/carry on big enough to hold clothes and toiletries etc for that night and the next morning? Just checking as I don't normally travel with a bag of this size and want to be sure I put one in if required.

Thanks in advance!! :goodvibes

We pre-paid our tips but on the last night they leave a note asking if you are happy to tip the people that served you and the amount that disney recomends. I think it worked out to be $12per day per person...which did add up given we were a family of five over four days. But that was for everyone disney tells you how much to give who but you can change it around as you please. You can add more or take some of one person and give more to another etc.
Yes you will need a carry on at least one! As when you get on board as well as the morning you leave. When you arrive you wont see your luggage until about 5pm that night. So if you want to swim and make use of the aqua duck while its pretty quite in those first few hours then pack your swimmers! Also you might want to pack clothes for dinner that night.

We spent five nights in a one bedroom villa rented once again through davids rentals. No problems once again at check in...easy as:thumbsup2. We requested to be close to the paddock section as this is a newer section with a quite pool that also has a water slide:cheer2:. We got what we asked for and to top it off the bus stop was right at our door.
Now we stayed here as a last resort pardon the pun:lmao: But there were no DVC villas any where during that week only SSR and OKW. I know this is true as I did try other rental companys and they told me the same thing. There was a marathon on that week plus last wkend of food and wine in epcot. Saying that I really didn't feel that the parks were that full only on the saturday night at epcot:confused3. Anyway so we got a one bedroom thinking DS5 ends up in our bed half the time anyways...and the main bedroom had a king so we did three fit in it pretty comfortable. The girls shared the fold out queen in the lounge room. It was fine space wise and I was glad I didn't spend the extra on the two bedroom villa...maybe as DS5 gets older we will. Even then I would be tempted to buy a blow up bed for the money saved:thumbsup2 Now getting back to the resort its self. Yes it is spread out.....BUT we ended up loving this resort. Like loving loving loving itpixiedust: The pool was much better than BLT (sorry karen) but we really enjoyed our stay here so much more than BLT. It was really nice to go back to this resort at night and get away from the crowds. It was peaceful and the boat ride to down town disney at night was kinda special...I loved that boat ride! The down side is that you will need to walk if you want to go to the main area to buy food etc. But the pool at the paddock did have a counter service area there and I had done our grocerys again. We did need to walk to the boat ramp. It was about a 15min walk each way....we just loved the theme of this resort. The buses were really good, in fact transport at all resorts was pretty good really. The pool side activites were fun and we ended up spending two days just in the pool area chilling out. I loved laying on those pool chairs with drink in hand. The kids went up and down that slide wearing their little selves out it was great:lmao:. They enjoyed it so much so that if we were in the park they would ask "when can we get back to the paddock pool";)
We didn't really eat here, apart from counter service for lunch a couple of times. We made us of the boat to down town and went to our favourite place raglan road...ummmmm I can still taste that bread and butter pudding. OH the caramel sauce. We did do others as well like T-Rex and Rainforest but kept going back to our good old favourite! We found the food at raglan road to be more than pizza and burgers even for the kids they had sheaperds pie on the menu for $9:thumbsup2 We would eat there and wander around the shops getting the boat back....I was really sad on the last night as we looked back at the view of down town disney my hubby said "see you until next time"...."next time":cheer2::cheer2: He said it not me:thumbsup2 Now I remind him of that fact near each day:scratchin

USA2012814.jpg

USA2012815.jpg

So I got a response from David's today that I wasn't expecting.

There is availability at the AKV for my third choice BUT they don't have enough points at present to book it for me.

:headache: So frustrating to know the room is there, but I can't grab it. It sounds like they are really short on points for all resorts except OKW and SSR. Unfortunately I'm not so keen on these resorts.

Anyway they asked if I wanted to be put on a waiting list. They expect AK points to become available within the next few weeks, but there is no guarantee there will still be availability at the resort by then. I've been put in the queue, but in the meantime I'm also doing some research now into the DVC Rental Store. Anyone know anything about them?

I'm so frustrated now that I have to go to work. I want to sit at home and research DVC brokers :laughing:

hey, i know someone who is trying to rent out her aulani points, you'd have to wait till 7 month window....I'll tell her you may be interested???

Dh isnt too keen on staying at BLT again in a studio, but would so love this...now this is OKW???? And the 1 bedder looks great....too many choices...

I just love the look of it:thumbsup2

I love BLT but the points are a bit too much when you want to go every year:confused3

Dh isnt too keen on staying at BLT again in a studio, but would so love this...now this is OKW???? And the 1 bedder looks great....too many choices...

I just love the look of it:thumbsup2

I love BLT but the points are a bit too much when you want to go every year:confused3

No Karen its SSR....it was just beautiful and peaceful. Good place to rest by the pool:thumbsup2

OKW 1 bed-room is MUCH bigger, but the grounds are similar except instead of the water tower at the pool it is a light house.

Is it really bigger? Good to know for next time we loved the theming and ferry ride!

Kyl, I think I have read somewhere that they have put a sleeper chair into the OKW One-Bedrooms so, when your youngest is too big to share your King bed, that may be a good option for you too.

Oh all excited about OKW now ;-) no we didn't check out the tree house villas although we saw a couple on the way out on the buses. Looked quite far away from the rest of the resort!

Although the kids loved the paddock pool it really is a hidden gem that pool!

We also stated SSR (2 bedroom) and we LOVED the resort:) I know we haven't stayed anywhere else but it was so peaceful and the pools were great. It felt very quiet - we hardly saw any other guests during our stay.

We were in the Congress Park section which had a quiet pool which you could watch the Characters in Flight balloon from. It took us 10 mins to walk to DTD and 5 minutes to walk to the Paddock pool with it's slide and play area. We ate at the Artists Palette (QS) a few times and were happy with it's offerings.

I notice that SSR is very rarely mentioned - I agree it is a hidden gem:)

australiankaren said:
hey, i know someone who is trying to rent out her aulani points, you'd have to wait till 7 month window....I'll tell her you may be interested???

Thanks Karen, very thoughtful :-)
Your friend PM'ed me and I was very tempted. However, the last 24hrs have been very eventful and it feels like options have been opening up all over the place. Things are looking pretty promising right now.

In saying this, I don't want to hijack Kyl's wonderful TR anymore than I already have with the details of my holiday. So I'll elaborate soon on the Sep/Oct thread.

Thanks Karen, very thoughtful :-)
Your friend PM'ed me and I was very tempted. However, the last 24hrs have been very eventful and it feels like options have been opening up all over the place. Things are looking pretty promising right now.

In saying this, I don't want to hijack Kyl's wonderful TR anymore than I already have with the details of my holiday. So I'll elaborate soon on the Sep/Oct thread.
Your more than welcome to talk about your plans I don't care hijack away.........I am happy to help:-)

kyl said:
Your more than welcome to talk about your plans I don't care hijack away.........I am happy to help:-)

Thanks Kyl, but I feel like I'm being egotistical when I start talking about myself too much on someone else's thread. lol

Can I ask you a question however (and apologies if you have already answered this already somewhere in your TR). How did you find the move from one Villa to another? Did Disney move your bags for you for free?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter