*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Good feedback. Still digging some more to see if the small higher cost is worth it or even any other brands worth looking at.

I managed to pick up a complete never installed Timbren SES kit for the truck. I think that is going to make a heck of a difference towing over some of these frost heaves and transitions.

I managed to pick up a complete never installed Timbren SES kit for the truck.
My last dually that I bought used had rear air bags with an onboard compressor and a remote control. The dealer didn't know what the remote was for. It took some playing with air pressures, but it seemed to make a difference towing my old 5th wheel (42 ft, 14,000 lbs).

j

My last dually that I bought used had rear air bags with an onboard compressor and a remote control. The dealer didn't know what the remote was for. It took some playing with air pressures, but it seemed to make a difference towing my old 5th wheel (42 ft, 14,000 lbs).

j

I looked at airbags. The full kit was nearly 1k, more then I cared to spend when the truck towed just fine. Friend had the manual kit and had to bleed and blow up the bags for hitched and unhitched with a little compressor. That seemed annoying.

So the timbren and sumosprings started to interest me a little. After talking to somone that has it installed he felt it gave just enough loaded assist as aibags without having to mess with pressures. Unloaded there is a gap and rides like stock. Sounds good to me!! And to find it for over 100 off retail, SOLD!

On the shock arena, its hard to spend over a 100 more. Just surprised how many people rave about the Bilstien 4600 and 5100's over the Rancho....maybe the stock Ford ones where valved softer then aftermarket?

My last dually (one with the FX4 Rancho package) rode a little rougher unloaded than my prior truck on the factory shocks. Loaded they were about the same unless I blew the air bags up. I wouldn't have spent the money on the remote control bags either, but the prior owner did. He had it setup for a slide in camper. The remote was the only way to go. I could adjust them driving down the road.

I was disappointed in the Bilsteins. Especially for the money. That's why I went back to the factory heavy duty ones. They did fine.

j

I put Firestone airbags on mine. No compressor. $125 for kit and installed myself. It's manual, but I use 12v compressor and it is super easy to do. I adjust the air depending on weight of camper on the trip. When using manual, I have the left and right separate. The intakes are mounted in the fueling compartment above the DEF tank fill. Honestly love it.

When I'm not towing it's deflated so I keep my smooth ride. Too many folks told me the helper springs gave them a rough ride when not towing.

@tiggerdad I was looking for a bag kit, they where all 250 plus without a compressor. I also saw the sumospring and timbren. Only reason I went for the timbren kit was finding it for under 150 shipped to my home. Had I found a reputable air bag kit for that price I might have done that instead. First tow on the timbren was a different feeling/experience similar to airbags I would guess. Much smoother and what I liked was unloaded didnt feed any differnt.

I had Firestone airbags when I had a 2500. Like @tiggerdad said, Its easy to inflate and deflate manually. Currently have a RAM DRW with just factory setup and everything is great. I changed my 5th wheel factory pinbox with a Reese Goosebox a couple of years ago. It has an airbag in it and it pulls like a dream. Plus the fact I never have to worry about a 5th wheel hitch taking up space in my bed.

Last edited:

Gooseneck wont change anything you experince in a 5th wheel. It is the airbag in your goosbox is what helped with smoothing out the ride more then anything. They make 5th wheel pins like that too, same net effect.

In my case, fresh shocks was the first issue. Second issue was just having a pin heavy trailer and a lot of frost heaves. The timbren works well loaded and unloaded, so not filling up and defalting. I paid way less then comparable airbag kits. It works for me, the less I have to worry about the more I can enjoy the time.

Here's a very subjective question regarding fuel mileage. We have a 2018 RAM 2500 with the 6.4 L hemi. We tow our 2021 Bullet 290BHS travel trailer with ease. Loaded we're close to about 7300 pounds. Our current MPG average is 9.5-10 miles per gallon. We are looking at an Astoria 2943BHF fifth wheel. It will weight in around 9800 pounds. Will we see a significant reduction in fuel economy moving from TT to 5th wheel?

Will we see a significant reduction in fuel economy moving from TT to 5th wheel?
I went from a 7200lb TT to a 9000lb 5er and I didn't see any change. If I recall (it was 20 years ago), mileage may have gone up slightly due to the 5er being slightly more aerodynamic on the truck. (Less room between the roof of the truck and the front of the camper for the air to drop and create drag) I was towing with a F250 crew cab diesel. I got 10-11mpg towing around 70-75.

Go for the 5er and don't worry too much about mpg impacts.

j

I agree, should be negligible MPG difference. I always get closer to 9MPH on the way to Orlando and closer to 10 on the way back. In a hurry to get there but not in a hurry to get home i suppose! ;)

BTW, i pull a 10k plus 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton Chevy.. (Gas) and i cruise at 60mph..

I would be considered speedy since I will drive the speed limit up to around 68ish MPH when in the 70 speed limit zones. My truck actually prefers 68 and will stay in top gear up and down the hills of I95 wihtout downshifting. When I slow under that it continually will down shift as I am low on the torque band and wants more revs.

That said I am a F350 DRW diesel pulling 42' of trailer at near 18k lbs an geting around 9mpg.

I saw no change in fuel mileage when I went from 35 foot Tt to a 35 foot 5th wheel, but man the riding was so much better. I would not of believed it would of been such a difference.

Here's a very subjective question regarding fuel mileage. We have a 2018 RAM 2500 with the 6.4 L hemi. We tow our 2021 Bullet 290BHS travel trailer with ease. Loaded we're close to about 7300 pounds. Our current MPG average is 9.5-10 miles per gallon. We are looking at an Astoria 2943BHF fifth wheel. It will weight in around 9800 pounds. Will we see a significant reduction in fuel economy moving from TT to 5th wheel?
I suspect your milage to decrease due to the additional weight and additional wind resistance. The FW will be quite a bit taller than your TT resulting in more wind resistance. If you had a diesel, there probably would not be any change.

I can see both ways on this. With the trailer being closer to the cab and over the bed there is less air space and the fluid dynamics of the air flow will certainly be different and may be a positive gain but the additional weight is a factor.
But my hitching options due to having the Ram boxes on the side are to add a goose neck ball and something like the andersen ultimate hitch adapter. Anyone have experience with this?

Anyone have experience (or advice) with a FRONT hitch installed on a Chevy/GMC truck?

I have a 2012 GMC Yukon XL that I am considering putting a front hitch on to carry two bicycles. I have tried carrying 2 bikes on a bike rack on the rear of my Aliner popup but in certain conditions (usually slightly downhill, 65-70mph) the tail tends to "wag-the-dog". And yes, I've tried putting more weight in the front of the trailer to compensate.

I also don't feel comfortable using a trailer hitch that has a bike rack up over the front propane tanks or over the ball itself. When I load in the Blackstone griddle, cooler, and other gear, the back end of the YukonXL is already pretty full.

I see that eTrailer says I can get a front hitch that will fit my vehicle in either 1.5 or 2.0 inch receivers. I did ask a camper at Gulf State Park whom I saw with a front hitch about it and he said no problem although at night using the headlights (being blocked somewhat by the bikes) can diminish viewing on night drives.

https://www.etrailer.com/Front-Receiver-Hitch/GMC/Yukon+XL/2012/65052.html?VehicleID=201261513

I won't be camping with the bikes for a few more months so I have time to research and do an install if needed/wanted. The bike rack would be of the kind where the bike tires sit in a loop and a bar comes down to lock/clamp them to the carrier with more straps if needed.

Carrying the bikes on a front hitch seems like the path of least resistance to take them along with us. DW loves riding bikes around the Fort and GSP especially so this is something I want to make happen one way or another.

I don't think the receiver size matters much. So any advice or experience with a FRONT hitch?

Bama Ed

Last edited:
@Bama Ed Ed have you looked at the duel hitches for the rear, I have seen many TTs with these and the bikes are in-between the truck and trailer. Not sure how close the A-Liner is to the back of your Yukon but it might be worth looking in to. Not sure about your tongue weight on the Yukon either but it's at least another option, although you have probably already looked into it. Mike

Your not taking eBikes to the fort are you?

I noticed many the last 2 weeks, did that rule get kiboshed or its just ignored like so many others?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter