*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Yeah, sounds right. Thats the way they tell you to do it. I would think you could get away with an inch or so shorter as the weight should settle the tv a bit.

That's a good point, Sjm9911.

My old Suburban had some OE air-type jacks/shocks in the back that would come on like small machine guns and lift the back end whenever I turned on the car the first time after hitching the trailer or putting a heavy load in the back. I remember at one point at about the 150k mile mark of the Suburban, the air seals were leaking and the compressors were kicking on at times to get the pressure back up and back end more level. My shop guy told me what it cost to repair and advised me to do so only if I planned to hold on to the car for a while more. I did so he did. I don't think the YukonXL has the same.

So there might be some sag/settling because I travel when camping with stuff in the back plus there will be the hitch weight from the Aliner. So I may not need a full 9-10 inches of drop. I think I'll open the back hatch, sit down in the back, and have DW crank it up. If it has the compressors, I'm sure my rear end will set them off. ::yes::

Bama Ed

EDIT: checked my RPO codes and no air suspension system.

Last edited:
I think your on the right track, but agree that you might want to estimate what kind of sag you will get on the back end when loaded. Maybe some cinderblocks or sandbags in the hatch to estimate the tongue weight. I know the A-Liner isn't huge, but I could easily see you dropping an inch or two once hooked up. Those of us with the bigger tongue weights can easily drop 6" before the WD is engaged!

@bama_ed Do have have the old receiver still? Why not hitch up to the truck and and measure its squat and calculate the drop you need from there? I don't think you will need a 9" drop.

The newer trucks are designed to drop some as they make the first few inches of wheel travel less sprung to improve ride when unloaded.

The old receiver (and the suv attached to it) has gone to that big junkyard in the sky, I'm afraid, jbrostek so no testing its sag to apply to the YukonXL.

I was in my local Lowe's this morning and checked their hitch selection and they had a Class 3 (minimum what I need) mount with a ball and 8 inch drop for $37 so I got it and will try it out. I'll keep the receipt in case I have to return it and search elsewhere. I was in there for something else today and took a flier on the hitch and got a little lucky. So we will see.

I'm also looking for something to put in the receiver when I'm not towing.

Something like this:

thumb.aspx

And I'll have to keep the lock pin on it because people will steal those things (must be Auburn fans) :rolleyes: .

I alway keep my receivers. Plug I have gained a few over the years of used trucks. I think I have at least 2 each with a 1 7/8, 2, and 2 5/6" hitch balls, and drops from 3-5"

I alway keep my receivers. Plug I have gained a few over the years of used trucks. I think I have at least 2 each with a 1 7/8, 2, and 2 5/6" hitch balls, and drops from 3-5"

When I went to the dealership (up in Tennessee and I am in Alabama) where I bought the YukonXL, James, I forgot the keys for the lock pin on the hitch. So when it came time to hand over the keys, transfer belongings, etc. I realized I could not get that off the Chevy.

So off into the wild blue yonder it had to go. Along with the vehicle.

As I said earlier, though, I don't tow anything other than the Aliner. There was a 2-year span where I pulled a U-Haul trailer a couple times a year in support of DD's Colorguard competitions during her high school years but that is behind me.

Ed

Just a question, anyone have the reducer sleave in there hitch rust together?
I had one in my old F350. It would slide out with the hitch every time. It was covered in rust, but never did stick. It also didn't have tabs at the outer end and would push in too deep. I forgot to throw it in the new truck last Summer and when I went to pick up my Kenny Cart at the DIS Meet in October, I had to run out and get another one. I haven't tried to get this one out yet, but it's only been in since October.

j

Just a question, anyone have the reducer sleave in there hitch rust together? I take mine out now. Guy at work had his in for 8 years and it would not come out. Other guy had a ball in the 1/2 ton and that wouldn't come out eaither.

Kroil available from Kano Labratories in Kentucky. Works awesome. Love all their products.

yep. Id get an adjustable ball hitch and a set of Firestone ride rite air bags and you'll be good to go!

You haven't seen Ed's trailer. My 5th wheel hitch weighs more than his whole A-liner. :D

j

She ain't big, jkh36619, but she is comfy, small, nimble, and light. Which makes it easier to get a spot, sometimes, than those with the 40-something foot trailer or rv.

20140405_161025_zps20x5mkxg.jpg

20140405_161125_zpschvnjl91.jpg

20140405_161114_zpsu9uxevdo.jpg

20140405_175743_zpsoj2dbcic.jpg

20140405_175647_zpsajm54usg.jpg

Also Teamubr's backstory is that for the 12 years I was driving my Chevy Suburban up to 250k miles pulling my Jayco popup and Aliner Expedition, he's gone through 2-3 Fords and didn't get over 150k in any of them that I can recall. So I think he pretends to make it a Chevy-Ford thing but in reality I think he's just a little bit jelly.

Good things come in small packages.

Bama Ed

PS - UPS should deliver the wire harness today so I can move the brake controller to the YukonXL. Then it will be time to have a little servicing done before the spring rush. But I can't tow it to the service place until I get a hitch with the correct drop and a functioning brake controller.

Last edited:
Like I have said before, if I only camped on weekends at my local SP/COE places, I would love to have something the size of Ed's. Our friends old T@b or an Aliner would be great. DW wouldn't have anything to do with it though.

Also Teamubr's backstory is that for the 12 years I was driving my Chevy Suburban up to 250k miles pulling my Jayco popup and Aliner Expedition, he's gone through 2-3 Fords and didn't get over 150k in any of them that I can recall. So I think he pretends to make it a Chevy-Ford thing but in reality I think he's just a little bit jelly.

Good things come in small packages.
I'll correct a few errors in my back story though. Yes, I am on my 4th F250/350, but that is since 2001. So 20 years, not 12. Two of the three I traded/sold had over 180,000 miles and given what I towed with them and where (from the Rockies to the East coast and Wisconsin to Florida) I like to have confidence I'll get there and back.

Until a few years ago, I towed really big racecar trailers. 48 ft, 2 car enclosed trailer. With both cars, spare engine/ transmission, 3 full sets of tires for each car, generator, air compressor, welder, and lots and lots of tools. It came in around 22,000 lbs. I also raced for Ford (and Mazda). While I doubt I'll ever own a GM product, I got very nice deals on Ford trucks through the sanctioning arrangement.

IMG_20110430_114934 (2016_09_24 00_51_51 UTC).jpgIMG_20110430_115001 (2016_09_24 00_51_51 UTC).jpgTrailers (2016_09_24 00_51_51 UTC) (2).jpg

The one truck I only kept for a few years was a 2008. That was the first year of the emissions/DPF diesels and I hated that truck. Decent power, horrible fuel mileage. Had it for 30,000 miles and traded on the truck I just sold after 10 years.

Now I only have my "little" 42 ft, 15,000 lb camper to pull around, so no sweat.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter