VMK Central Closing in Disneyland New Update Yavn Speaks!!

OMG! :scared1:

:grouphug: To all those close to DLR or planning to go for quests.

I agree that it doesn't really make sense as to why they would close the DLR quests and not the WDW quests.

This means no more animator's desks and much fewer quest items to go around.

Like astrostan, I am now also wondering how much longer they will continue at WDW.

I've never been to DLR, so this wouldn't personally affect me, but I am not very happy about this. This is a VERY poor move. I'm really not liking some of the decisions VMK has made lately.
I have also been upset with decisions that VMK have been making lately and this is the icing on the cake...the last one not being about to trade the new space suit magic. I have been on VMK since almost day one and sadly I have had more and more good friends leaving the game because of various issues. VMK could be a Disney marketing gold mine and instead of moving forward things seem to be moving back.. What about all of the ppl planning a trip to DLR this summer looking forward to the new quests. I know many of our DLR trips are planned around the new quests. Looks like we will be cutting back on our trips and that also means all of the money we spend while at the parks and Disneyland hotel. This is very sad...:sad2:

So I won't be able to get any more VMK Cards at Disneyland?
The regular Reward Cards that you receive as prizes for completing Quest won't be available after June 3rd, but there will still be select merchandise locations (like The Magic Shop on Main Street) that will have merchandise cards (like the Magic Mirror) available at those locations. Look for more announcements related to this program in the future.

Read that closely is there a hint in there. Do you think VMK is moving towards you buy real item you get virtual item in order to make money. After all look at the pirate pins. I am wondering if they need to bring money in to keep this game free. Is this a test run to see if we are willing to shell out money to get the items both real and virtual. He hints about looking for more announcements related to this program. I think the future may hold no more cards for just having a park ticket. You must buy item. This broadens thier market ad so MANY people can not get to the parks yet you could order the pirate pins on the phone. Think of the sales they could have if you could buy the item over the phone. No more people going to Ebay to buy items they buy straight from Disney.

Just a though,

Bug

I'm embarassed to admit how sadden I am by such a development within a game. Still it's a bummer. Oh well, all good things come to an end right? I've already eased off on my VMK play lately because of the way the game has been going... This is probably going to be the last straw... Still, I wrote the below and sent it to Contact Us. I plan to write a more detailed/thought out letter to other VMK/DLR related e-mail addresses I have later...

A message from myself to VMK's CONTACT US said:
I'm disappointed to hear that VMK Central in DLR is closing. Very sad. My friends and family have really enjoyed making trips to DLR to take the quests and get the prizes. It makes for great fun and something cool to do while standing in lines. It made for neat new things to see and do around the park. I've been an AP for many years and VMK really refreshed my view of DLR.

It's sad that the new Mickey furniture cards won't be available to my friends and family that play VMK. We don't have the money to travel to WDW. And the cards got pressed back a season and we'll be lucky if we can make a trip to still get the TV. I can't deny that some of the negative feelings are increased knowing that WDW will still be able to get new in park cards. Sure, I'll admit there's some jealousy there.

I guess it's your loss too. I have a Premium AP and would make trips nearly monthly to DLR. Myself alone (not including my co-vistors) would spend $100-$200 each and every trip I take to DLR (on food, pins, hats, etc). I'm sure my trips quanity will be significantly cut, possibly to once or twice a year (Spring-ish and Holiday, probably). Truth be told, the only reason I renewed my AP at the end of '06 was because of VMK. Otherwise it's cheaper for me to just buy a single day park-hopper.

Sincerely,
One sad Mouseketeer,
Goofy_Bob

I wonder what this will do to the seasonal quest items??? Because only WDW people will be able to get them.

:mad: :headache:
Yeah, this blows. Big time
I live in Nevada, so the only park I get to go to IS DLR
I'm thousands..okay hundreds of miles away from WDW, my family won't waste their money just so I can get vmk items to go there. NO FAIR :(

The regular Reward Cards that you receive as prizes for completing Quest won't be available after June 3rd, but there will still be select merchandise locations (like The Magic Shop on Main Street) that will have merchandise cards (like the Magic Mirror) available at those locations. Look for more announcements related to this program in the future.

Read that closely is there a hint in there. Do you think VMK is moving towards you buy real item you get virtual item in order to make money. After all look at the pirate pins. I am wondering if they need to bring money in to keep this game free. Is this a test run to see if we are willing to shell out money to get the items both real and virtual. He hints about looking for more announcements related to this program. I think the future may hold no more cards for just having a park ticket. You must buy item. This broadens thier market ad so MANY people can not get to the parks yet you could order the pirate pins on the phone. Think of the sales they could have if you could buy the item over the phone. No more people going to Ebay to buy items they buy straight from Disney.

Just a though,

Bug
Why not do both? I think the free quests is a good way to "hook" people into the game. That is what happened with my family. Then of course after playing on VMK for a while my kids wanted the prizes connected to buying candy and magic tricks. I can't tell you how much money we have spent at the candy store in poohs corner and how many whoopee cushions we own purchased at the magic shop so we could get the VMK cards. The VMK booth was a great marketing tool that I don't think was ever used to it's full potential and now they are taking it away. Who's to say they won't just end the game just as quickly as the closing of VMK central. Right now nothing would surprise me....

Just a though,

Bug

You could very well be on the right track here, but if true, they should communicate the plans with their players NOW. This could prevent alot of angry letter writing and bad feelings towards the game.

I'm still shocked at the announcement, let alone the short notice with which it was given. :sad2:

I'm so upset about this, especially since we were promised seasonal mickey items and they didn't come out until recently. Cards one and two were skipped over, with the promise that we could get them the following year, and now I won't even get card 4. This stinks.

:mad: :headache:
Yeah, this blows. Big time
I live in Nevada, so the only park I get to go to IS DLR
I'm thousands..okay hundreds of miles away from WDW, my family won't waste their money just so I can get vmk items to go there. NO FAIR :(

I am in the exact same boat as you.

Redsfan

I think the most shocking part is how much advance notice was given.

I think the person who had an idea about a player's advisory counsel would be very beneficial at a time like this.

I'm sure it all boiled down to $ and cents. Hopefully there will be real tangible vmk merchandise offered in it place ;)

Well this came as a big shocker!! I'm glad I got IM preparation from other friends who found out before me, or I really would have been shocked!! My biggest concern is to keep it fair between DL and WDW, which this obviously doesn't! But we have to remember there are so many ppl who don't get to visit any of the parks...ever! I feel so fortunate to practically live in DL's backyard!

Wish I could understand it better, but I gave up trying to understand the decisions made in VMK long ago. I just try to go with the flow and enjoy the ride! I will most definitely miss the quests and tours of days gone by, but they have brought so many fun times and many new friendships made in virtual AND real life! For that, I thank VMK! If it were to all close down today, I have so many new friends I would most definitely share my Disney love with in the future.
I hope they continue to bring us new things and keep the game fun and fair for us all!

So now....I believe we have a So Cal VMK gathering to plan...BEFORE 6/3!!

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!! :mad: :sad2: :rolleyes: :sad1: :rolleyes1

When I read this on the newsletter...I said What..and re-read it to make sure my eyes were seeing right! Then I just couldn't believe it..a game I really really love and its Disney.. Nop
Never saw this coming! I could maybe understand if it was at both Parks..but no WDW is special... not fair...

ANd don't tell me that they (vmk) is trying to be fair and are trying to keep the scams down and prices down for things in the game? I don't think so and this just proves it. Now the only people who will have all the goodies is WDW..and remember that is where Yavn goes all the time! I have always shared my goodies with people when I come back from there...I didn't just trade all of it. But now things will be so sky high that we won't be able to get things!!

This is the only online game I have ever played and now I am seriously thinking I don't want to anymore! Its not a fair game anymore...IF they were taking them from both parks you could say it was fair...now its not!!!! Shame on you VMK!!!!!

Wow I am shocked! I was planning on going to DLR this summer but had to cancel due to isuues at home. One of the reasons I really wanted to go to DLR was to see the cool VMK Central. Will they be closing that too? Will you still be able to make characters in the park?

WHAT?!?!? This is probably the most shocking, depressing VMK news ever. And to top it all off, it makes absolutely NO sense to keep quests going in WDW but take them away at DL. THAT'S the thing that reeeeeallly gets me. Once again, Disneyland is treated like the red-headed stepchild of Disney parks, even though it is the best Disney theme park out of the whole lot. DLR has very healthy attendance numbers. The quests are popular. The computers at VMK Central actually WORK, unlike what I've heard about the WDW ones. They don't need to save any space in Innoventions, because VMK is the only thing that makes Innoventions worth VISITING. I'm just....arrrg, so mad at this unnecessary stab at DLR. I hope VMK revenue goes down because of this. Really.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Guess next week will be my first and last questing opportunity at Disneyland.

Yavn talks like they are expecting to receive a lot of hate mail over this. Why not prove them wrong and just write requesting that they re-think the idea. Lots of positive imput will do more than ranting about how we will not go to Disneyland anymore.

Personally I will still go to Disneyland with or without VMK quests, but I still am very disappointed.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I can see why they would receive hate mail over it. I think its wrong to send it as that and should be sent like you said, as requesting/telling them why you think it would be wrong to get rid of it in Disneyland. And I do think that if it was "temporary" they should have said that from the get go. I feel like the whole it was for the 50th is a lame excuse since they are telling WDW keep it at this point going. And ebay prices will be going up on things sadly. Which I never understood using ebay for buying items for games but whatever. We are APers for Disneyland so its not going to stop me from going and I think saying thar or using it as a "threat" is one of those things that won't work anyway. Its not like it would hurt them in their pockets. :rolleyes: I think writing to let them all know how we feel about it should be done. I have no desire to go to WDW and especialy shell out the money to do it when I go to the original and spend my money there. We always spend money there. Its hard not to. And sadly you do have to look at the game now and wonder where this will take it. Its not giving it a very bright future in my eyes.
And I am wondering if they are getting rid of the VMK stuff in Innoventions since it wasn't mentioned and just said it was doing away with in-park quests.
BTW, the idea of giving some for free like its been with the in-park quests and then the ones to buy whatever and get a card is not a bad thing. If they are going to keep those ones anyway why not the free ones too? What they should have been doing at the VMK booth IMO was handing a slip of paper with the reminder of the other cards you could get if you bought whatever item in whatever store.
My hubby who doesn't play doesn't understand why they would do this either. So we have a late afternoon/evening trip to plan here soon.
Goofy_Bob would you mind pm me with the emails you have to spend a message to them about this. I'd really appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter