VMK Central Closing in Disneyland New Update Yavn Speaks!!

Hi,

I am wondering if they ever counted or kept track of real numbers of foot traffic. I know when I have been at VMK Central in WDW is is always busy.

Bug

Who needs to count numbers of visitors by sight when you can just access your computer database and see how many different bar codes run through it in a given day. For that matter, they are most likely able to tell you the population growth of the game just by those scanned ticket barcodes alone. I'm sure a junior level computer jockey can crunch the numbers and give a clear indication if VMK Central is busy or not, and if VMK is successful as a marketing tool.

We are tracked by barcodes from the very first time we use them (tickets) and walk through the turnstiles till the very last fastpass we pick up in the evening. Like it or not, we are all part of the Disney marketing machine. Disney has made it a fine art to track our favorite restaurants to even which character we like most from our purchase receipts throughout the resort. With everything else examined and scrutinized, I can't see that VMK would be overlooked.

Anyhow, the proof is in the numbers. We'll never get to see them as guests, but obviously some people higher up here at DLR weren't happy with the whole affair and decided to axe VMK Central. I'm sure that there's so much more going on in the background we aren't seeing than just the "it's not busy" line we've been fed. It's a shame we may never completely know the full story.

Today I met up with a good friend at DL for a morning of rides, pin trading and of course, VMK questing. We spoke to a castmember at the VMK kiosk and asked if they were happy or sad about the news. Sadly he said most CM's were happy it was leaving. He continued by saying most of them had been yelled and screamed at by adults on many, many occasions....for not knowing about the game, not knowing new information when interrogated by the guests and so on. He also said they were given information at the last minute many times (after the guests knew) and sometimes even the wrong information. Many of them did not play VMK and were just on their work rotation from Innoventions. I think this is a very sad scenario, yet one that could be fixed so easily. I'm sure they could get more then enough CM's that were interested in VMK, to put together a new team....and .....actually....give them the facts and tools to work with. Now there's a concept!
But as others have said....it is obviously not a money maker for Disney and they will tweak it until it is, or put it to bed for good.
I do not buy the Nemo scenario, as I was told today that the ride queue is expected to head around the lagoon and towards the matterhorn/monorail/autopia track area - which is totally opposite of the VMK booth. On that note, the fences are down all around the lagoon and it was great to see all the subs out and about and all the color and activity under the water in preparation of the ride's opening!

I do not know if this was already brought up in the thread, but how are us "West Coasters" supposed to get the rest of the *Mickey* furniture :confused3 :sad: :confused3 :sad:

Hospitals suck !!!!!!!!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

:hug:
Lyn

I truely do hope that nothing happens to VMK Central, I am hoping to make a few more Born in Park Guests. Please Please not the WDW too.!!! I wonder how long they are going to have the WDW VMK Central open. FOREVER I hope.

Today I met up with a good friend at DL for a morning of rides, pin trading and of course, VMK questing. We spoke to a castmember at the VMK kiosk and asked if they were happy or sad about the news. Sadly he said most CM's were happy it was leaving. He continued by saying most of them had been yelled and screamed at by adults on many, many occasions....for not knowing about the game, not knowing new information when interrogated by the guests and so on. He also said they were given information at the last minute many times (after the guests knew) and sometimes even the wrong information. Many of them did not play VMK and were just on their work rotation from Innoventions. I think this is a very sad scenario, yet one that could be fixed so easily. I'm sure they could get more then enough CM's that were interested in VMK, to put together a new team....and .....actually....give them the facts and tools to work with. Now there's a concept!
But as others have said....it is obviously not a money maker for Disney and they will tweak it until it is, or put it to bed for good.
I do not buy the Nemo scenario, as I was told today that the ride queue is expected to head around the lagoon and towards the matterhorn/monorail/autopia track area - which is totally opposite of the VMK booth. On that note, the fences are down all around the lagoon and it was great to see all the subs out and about and all the color and activity under the water in preparation of the ride's opening!

This kind of behavior isn't just at CMs that worked at VMK. It can happen in the parks no matter which spot you are in. Which I find sad that adults have to act this way. Its been happening for many years and seems to just get worse as the place gets more crowded around holidays, summer and weekends at times. But I can imagine the kind of junk they had to take. We have always been very friendly and joked with any CMs we come in contact with there...as well as any part of the park that we were talking too. I can also imagine it doesn't just happen at DL though with guests acting this way but at WDW as well.
And you are right about how the queue will be for the subs. Its been reported all over that it will go that way and it makes sense since I'm sure it will be a long wait.

Tiggerholic, it looks like us on the west coast are basically not going to be able to get those unless we are able to trade or some how pay the tons of money to go to WDW...which I won't be doing. I'm pretty bummed about not being able to get the rest of that set too. Of course they could decide we have to buy something here in order to get it. :sad2:

This kind of behavior isn't just at CMs that worked at VMK. It can happen in the parks no matter which spot you are in. Which I find sad that adults have to act this way.

That type of behavior can be found in any location not just DLR or WDW. Dealing with people in retail can be tedious, but you have to be ready and I am sure they did train them (albeit not about the game.)
I actually liked working in retail, killing those rude peeps with kindness makes my day.

That type of behavior can be found in any location not just DLR or WDW. Dealing with people in retail can be tedious, but you have to be ready and I am sure they did train them (albeit not about the game.)
I actually liked working in retail, killing those rude peeps with kindness makes my day.

Agreed. Believe me, I had my fair share of people yelling at me during my
stint working at The Disney Store (when it was still owned by Disney).
And that was in a suburb of Chicago. I can imagine the abuse being
a thousand times worse at the main parks.

While I feel badly (sort of) for the West Coast people, the change doesn't
affect my feelings about Disney. I've been a fan before VMK, and I'll be a fan
after.

While I feel badly (sort of) for the West Coast people

Oh please don't "feel badly (sort of)" for us West Coast people... after all, we live in an amazingly beautiful part of the country that has many other things to offer.

Instead of playing VMK endlessly we can always just go to the mountains to ski, the park to skate board or even the beach to hang out with friends to watch movie stars make fools of themselves learning to surf - all in one day. As a matter of fact, if I sit up straight in my chair, I can see the coast from here.

No, there is really no reason to (sort of) feel sorry for us.:lmao:

Well, the reason why there haven't been many guests going to the DLR Quest Kiosk as of late...

...is because there is nothing there. When I went last April, it was just Pirates and Animation. Neither of those quests are very high in the trading market: you can get the prizes relatively easily if you wish.

If they had created a new in-park DLR-exclusive quest, people would be SWARMING.

So, who's fault is it, really, that you've ended up a rum-pot deckhand what takes orders from pirates?

Oh please don't "feel badly (sort of)" for us West Coast people... after all, we live in an amazingly beautiful part of the country that has many other things to offer.

Instead of playing VMK endlessly we can always just go to the mountains to ski, the park to skate board or even the beach to hang out with friends to watch movie stars make fools of themselves learning to surf - all in one day. As a matter of fact, if I sit up straight in my chair, I can see the coast from here.

No, there is really no reason to (sort of) feel sorry for us.:lmao:

Well, it was REALLY DIFFICULT to feel sorry when I couldn't get my Disney
fix in 2006. ;) It's all relative. :laughing:

not a good idea for disney people, they probably make loads of cash from kids wanting to go just for cards and wasting a day at the park... i only say that bc thats what i do LOL anyways since i am in NJ there is no reason to care really... WDW is my place :D still a very bad move by vmk and the park... Why stop something if both people are happy with the outcome?

QA_EonWrangler has not been on in quite a while... QA_caffdawg and QA_matteykay seem to bee the only ones on anymore... but i did see the last QA a while back on Mark Twain... still i thought it was there job to go on

Hugs to all of you DL-goers. :grouphug:

I am in shock that they would end the quests so suddenly. And unfortunately, I'm sure WDW will soon follow suit.

I have to agree with Pink here, I do feel that WDW will eventually follow and suffer the same fate. I will have to really try to enjoy our trip next month as it may be the last time we can get quest cards at WDW as well.

There is a lot of speculation as to the why, but this is a business and a lot of the driving force behind a lot of what they do has to do with payroll dollars and profit margins. I went to DLR in February and while the park itself was incredibly crowded - wall to wall people over President's weekend - when I walked up to the kiosk, I was the only one there. And while they have a really nice set up with the computers inside innoventions, there were only about four or five people on them. And to have to wait in a queque line just to get inside was not fun. Perhaps you will all have something come down the pipeline and it may be better, perhaps not. Still sad all the same.

For those that believe that they are going to lose a lot of business, the truth is that this will not happen. VMK players, just like pin traders are just a huge drop in the bucket when you look at the big picture. Disney's appeal is world wide and VMK players along with various other groups add up to a small percentage of the tons of people who visit the parks each year.

[QUOTEWhat I believe they are overlooking is how many people buy annual passes or regular tickets mainly for VMK purposes. They may be shocked at how much revenue they lose from this.][/QUOTE]
You would be surprised to learn that they actually make LESS money from the AP visitors than they do from the one-time visitors. Most AP guests do not stay on property and tend to purchase less gifts. Those that are there for a vacation, tend to stay on or near property, eat at the restaurants and buy gifts to remember their visits. There is a higher percentage of AP holders at Disneyland than at WDW and having a chance to speak with some managers at DLR on my last trip, mechandising profits at DLR is considerably less than at WDW.

Several of my friends are managers at WDW, and again, I know that it all revolves about the bottom line. They are paying for castmembers to man these stations at DLR but there is no profit in it. At least at WDW, it is within a shop where merchandise may be purchased, so the same castmembers who hand out the cards, are also ringing up and generating sales. Again, just some speculation here, nothing more.

I am sad for those that attend DLR on a regular basis, but like one poster said, they still live in a wonderful place and DLR still has that special appeal to it.

As for the Magic fading............I have to disagree. I love playing VMK, but I do NOT visit the parks for the sole purpose of getting more cards. I go for the atmosphere, the entertainment, the pure joy of acting like a kid and getting away with it. I go to relive precious memories from my youth and share them with my kids. Should VMK cards end entirely at WDW as well, that will NOT stop me from going each and every year. I went before this game started, I will continue to go even after if they decide to end it all together. There is just so much more to Disney Parks than VMK cards, truly there is.............

You would be surprised to learn that they actually make LESS money from the AP visitors than they do from the one-time visitors. Most AP guests do not stay on property and tend to purchase less gifts. Those that are there for a vacation, tend to stay on or near property, eat at the restaurants and buy gifts to remember their visits.
I love playing VMK, but I do NOT visit the parks for the sole purpose of getting more cards. I go for the atmosphere, the entertainment, the pure joy of acting like a kid and getting away with it. I go to relive precious memories from my youth and share them with my kids. Should VMK cards end entirely at WDW as well, that will NOT stop me from going each and every year. I went before this game started, I will continue to go even after if they decide to end it all together. There is just so much more to Disney Parks than VMK cards, truly there is.............

Our family lives about 10 minutes from Disneyland. Last year, we spent two weekends at the DLH, another at the Grand Californian, and two one night stays at the DLH. Initially, it was to get the Stitch cards. They made a ton of money on us in the last two years. While our per-visit profit was lower than that of a one-time visitor, Disney made a fortune off us last year, because we just became Disney people, all the time. We did Disney cruises, did a summer trip to Orlando, went to DLR just a little bit less than once a week. Bought a ton of pins. Ate dinner at Disneyland probably 30 times last year. VMK fueled it all. Granted, we might not be typical, but we aren't unique, either. In addition to prompting more spending than we were used to, VMK also caused darn near all of our entertainment dollars to shift from other amusement enterprises to Disney. We haven't been to Sea World, the SD Zoo, Knott's, Universal, Magic Mountain or Raging Waters in two years. Once there is no longer a VMK benefit to devoting it all to Disney, we'll shift back to our old mode. Still Disney fans, but no longer Disney devotees. Oh, and the money I'll save on pins! My kids spent a fortune on pin trading. Every time they went we bought pins, and when they ran out of crappy ones to trade, we bought those sets of 6, 7 or 8 pins from Little Green Men. I'll bet we spent $2,000 on pins last year. Heck, I can take a Caribbean cruise for that! Gracias, VMK, for breaking me of my terrible habit.

Our family lives about 10 minutes from Disneyland. Last year, we spent two weekends at the DLH, another at the Grand Californian, and two one night stays at the DLH. Initially, it was to get the Stitch cards. They made a ton of money on us in the last two years. While our per-visit profit was lower than that of a one-time visitor, Disney made a fortune off us last year, because we just became Disney people, all the time. We did Disney cruises, did a summer trip to Orlando, went to DLR just a little bit less than once a week. Bought a ton of pins. Ate dinner at Disneyland probably 30 times last year. VMK fueled it all. Granted, we might not be typical, but we aren't unique, either. In addition to prompting more spending than we were used to, VMK also caused darn near all of our entertainment dollars to shift from other amusement enterprises to Disney. We haven't been to Sea World, the SD Zoo, Knott's, Universal, Magic Mountain or Raging Waters in two years. Once there is no longer a VMK benefit to devoting it all to Disney, we'll shift back to our old mode. Still Disney fans, but no longer Disney devotees. Oh, and the money I'll save on pins! My kids spent a fortune on pin trading. Every time they went we bought pins, and when they ran out of crappy ones to trade, we bought those sets of 6, 7 or 8 pins from Little Green Men. I'll bet we spent $2,000 on pins last year. Heck, I can take a Caribbean cruise for that! Gracias, VMK, for breaking me of my terrible habit.

VMK aside, Disney makes a killing off more APers then you can imagine. Alot of us Apers are families. So with that each visit comes with not only buying our food, drinks, etc but usually something for the kids before we go as well. Now admit we have had a couple times over the years were we didn't have a ton of money that week so we just would take a few things we needed but would still end up buying a couple things (whether it was a dirnk or something else). I think the majority of APers actually spend money in the parks each time they go compared to those that don't. I have seen very few that say they don't compared to those that say they bought whatever and such. The pins were always a draw for lots of them when they would come out as well as lots of other special limited merchandise. And from what I have seen with each visit (we go a few times a month mind you) that the one day visitor is the one bringing in meals to the park so they don't have to buy it and doesn't spend much on anything else. This is especially seen during the So. Cali discounts more then any other time. And I also know lots of Apers that have and do stay in the hotels. Not everyone that lives near the park is an APer either. I have known plenty that lived in different states that bought them cause it was a better "deal" in their eyes then a mutli day park hopper. There are a few ladies I know on a different board that stay in the DL hotels a few time each year and have APs. So APs spend a great deal of money in the parks. So I beg to differ about how much Apers actually spend in the park from my experience as being an APer, knowing lots of other Apers and all the years I grew up going to DL and not being an APer. BUT I do don't believe things like no VMK in a theme park is going to hurt them in anyway. They will take those CMs and move them to something else they need CMs for. No matter what Disney would be paying those CMs working at the VMK spot still whether its there or not. They can't afford to lose any CMs in Disneyland when they actually need more. And no matter what I have grown up going to Disneyland LONG before VMK was even thought of and have taken my kids to Disneyland before it was even thought of so why would it stop me from going. I think if it stops anyone from going to Disneyland then that is a shame cause they are missing out on so much fun and magic that the park itself brings. :goodvibes I think we seem to all agree on that from what I've been reading in this thread.

I just hope they choose to give an explaination, it would go along way.
Oh but Aengus didn't you read the Newsletter. There was an explaination in there. Yavn said it was going away because the 50th was over. It's a pathetic excuse that doesn't really explain things, but that's all we'll ever get. :rolleyes:
...But, to me, it's a little insulting to write about these non-explained decisions in a happy-go-lucky manner when they know players will not be happy about it.
I agree 100%! Later you write that VMK Contact Us replied to your message marketting the Nemo ride. I find it interesting you got a reply at all - I have not (yet?).

There were other posts I wanted to quote but they didn't add into this reply (there were so many, maybe they got lost in the page changing). No big deal, most were just re-hashing much of what has been said already. So I'll let it go.

Still, I would specifically like to reply to Since1971. I do not think people here are bashing WDWers. I have not felt that vibe here at all. If you are getting that, then let me apologize to you from us DLRers. :hug: I won't deny some jealousy, surely you could understand that. But I don't think I or anyone else has attacked the players that go to WDW. I do feel that there are many sad and frustrated DLRers and some empathic WDWers that are upset with VMK over the closure of DLR VMK Central. :grouphug:

I did call the phone number recommended by LittleWoodenHead, but was directed to Guest Communications, the number posted by Lady Boadicea (714-781-4669 Option 0).

When I reached the correct CM (Shandra) I said I had a complaint about a change at DLR, specifically the closing of VMK Central. I calmy and politely explained that I was a along time APer who's park visits tripled since VMK, as I enjoyed the new flavor provided to Disneyland; the scavenger hunts, the things I saw around DLR that I never noticed before, etc. She listened silently. I asked if she knew of VMK and replied with an "Oh yes" as though she were sick of hearing about it. I asked if she had any information on its closure and she gave the basic answer that the 50th was over. So why is VMK Central still at WDW? She felt it would be "going soon from there as well.". This CM, was not mean, but she wasn't friendly and certainly wasn't sympathetic about what I had to say. She curtly asked for my name and address (which I gave) and said my comments would be sent to the "people in charge of VMK."

I tend to agree with other posters. This is the first step in the doom that spells the end of VMK. :worried:

I did call the phone number recommended by LittleWoodenHead, but was directed to Guest Communications, the number posted by Lady Boadicea (714-781-4669 Option 0).
The number I gave was the main Info line -- and the CM who answered did not re-direct me. However, as I was told that they were receiving a lot of calls, perhaps they designated a different section to handle them?

When I reached the correct CM (Shandra) I said I had a complaint about a change at DLR, specifically the closing of VMK Central.... I asked if she knew of VMK and replied with an "Oh yes" as though she were sick of hearing about it. This CM, was not mean, but she wasn't friendly and certainly wasn't sympathetic about what I had to say.
It's too bad your CM was not as friendly and sympathetic as mine (who's name I cannot remember). It was great to talk to someone who really listened to my comments and seemed to understand the special magic of VMK.

I asked if she had any information on its closure and she gave the basic answer that the 50th was over.
So they've gone back to giving out that lame reason? Maybe they're finding it difficult to claim there's a "lack of guest interest" -- especially when they're talking to obviously interested guests??? :confused3

And sadly I can even see the higher ups deciding that VMK is superfluous and either charging a fee to players to keep it running or shutting it down entirely. I think we should be prepared for anything to happen.

Sorry, I know this is going a few pages back.

My guess is that their next big move will be to offer a "premium" type membership to VMK. It seems like every fun free site I've ever been to has started charging people by starting a special member pay option, and then gradually made more and more things "premium only". You can still be a member for free, but you can't do anything fun unless you want to pay a monthly fee. And if VMK starts asking for money to play, I'm out of there.

I guess I would have more respect for Yavn and the VMK team if they actually explained the decisions that are being made. Yes Yavn answers to a "higher power" but that doesn't mean that something can't be explained so that players understand what's going on. This decision is just one of many that people are frustrated with. It's just the icing on the cake. Perhaps TWDC decided to keep mum about this decision, therefore preventing Yavn from being able to give one right now. Why not say "at this time, details are unable to be given." But there are other decisions being made in the game that his "higher powers" would have nothing to do with...i.e. the Red Space Suit Magic being nontradeable. No explanation for that one either. And no reason not to give an explanation. I'm just tired of the decisions being made with us being expected to accept them blindly. He clearly knows the decisions will cause an uproar, so humor us a bit and try to explain something. But, to me, it's a little insulting to write about these non-explained decisions in a happy-go-lucky manner when they know players will not be happy about it.

You got that right!!!!

My 2 cents as a local Aper for Dl. The space it takes up in DL is not much at all. The booth for quests is outside Innoventions and is not that big. The lines for it are always there and never get in the way of walking from when I have been over there in Tomorrowland. Now as far as the computers for making characters that part is inside the Innoventions building and in all honesty....before VMK even started that building was a ghost town. It was really on of those things that a local or tourist could miss on a visit and not be sad about. Maybe if they had made it so you had to go in the building to get the quests and drop them off they would have had more people in there and if they had actually had anything else worth while in that building as well. And I still have yet to see anything officially saying they are taking the creating part out of DL. It has just been stated that it is the quests at this point.

Totally agree.. The building.. Innoventions has always been a building of nothing...its always been like a ghost town..no matter what they have had in there hs never been a crowd attractions!!

When DD read Yavn's announcement to me last night my first thought was how people here were going to take it. I see I was right. I only read through the first three pages of posts and I have to say I am saddened by some of the posts. Maybe it wasn't the intent of some of the posters, but I feel as if pure hatred is being spewed towards me and my fellow WDW-goers.

I don't understand where you get that from? No one has said anything about the people that go to WDW wolrd..it say we are upset with WHY is it staying open at WDW???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter