• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

VMK Central Closing in Disneyland New Update Yavn Speaks!!

As for the Magic fading............I have to disagree. I love playing VMK, but I do NOT visit the parks for the sole purpose of getting more cards. I go for the atmosphere, the entertainment, the pure joy of acting like a kid and getting away with it. I go to relive precious memories from my youth and share them with my kids. Should VMK cards end entirely at WDW as well, that will NOT stop me from going each and every year. I went before this game started, I will continue to go even after if they decide to end it all together. There is just so much more to Disney Parks than VMK cards, truly there is.............

just so I am not misunderstood....
When I said the magic was fading it has nothing to do with DISNEY and Park Magic, it has everything to do with the Magic in the GAME. Since this thread is about VMK not Disney, which is a whoe different discussion unto itself.

For the most part I think VMK does an excellant job. There are just a few things that I think need tweaking and they need it BIG time.

1. CS

2. Moderation

3. PR

I have previously posted what I think would help with Moderation. And like suggested by another member I think a Customer Satisfaction/Review Board would be a great idea. Made up of members of all ages and backgrounds since VMK has expanded way beyond it's target group.

PR I think that instead of posted news that VMK knows will only disappoint it's members, if it has news that is going to be than favorable post it with some good news or at least the whole story if there is not good news to provide.

Our family has also been going to Disney(WDW) long befor VMK and will continue I am sure long after it is gone, that does not mean I have to agree with everything that happens within VMK.

Well, the reason why there haven't been many guests going to the DLR Quest Kiosk as of late...

...is because there is nothing there. When I went last April, it was just Pirates and Animation. Neither of those quests are very high in the trading market: you can get the prizes relatively easily if you wish.

An excellent, excellent point, Pirate-Emery. Well said.

I'd also like to corroborate the fact that the CMs at VMK Central at Disneyland are Innovations CMs, it is part of their rotation.

I'm an ex-Disney Store Cast Member (worked there for four years until about 6 months before they sold it to The Children's Place) and approximately 8-year Disneyland Annual Passholder. I have to say that the VMK Quests are some of the funnest things DH and I have done there, EVER. And the VMK tour was awesome! I can honestly say that VMK rekindled my love of Disneyland... we'd vacationed elsewhere the summers of 2004 and 2005, but renewed our AP's after VMK's debut. Incidentally, I live in Northern California.

I'm wondering if they might set up a Finding Nemo character Meet and Greet where VMK Central booth was? Can any longtime APer verify if that's where they set up the "Toy Story Funhouse"? I wasn't an AP holder when they had that in Tomorrowland.

One small point that I was considering...
Maybe they'll move VMK Central to Disney's California Adventure? They've already had two free VMK cards there (Gold Monster doors and Animator's Desk set). I've wondered why the Zoetrope/Animation Viewer card wasn't given away at DCA, since it's part of the Animation Building attractions. There is more than enough space at DCA to house VMK stuff, in particular I'm thinking of the Victorian Houses area by Golden Dreams Theatre. It's a completely empty space, the only thing I've seen it used for was to color Christmas cards the Holiday they had Luminaria. Perhaps this is what QA_EonWrangler was referring to?

I doubt if I'm right, but I'd love it if I was.

One more quick point before my rant's over...

I will be sending a letter or letters to Disneyland and the Disney Company. I don't feel comfortable telephoning, as it's too easy for a verbal conversation to be overlooked. At least with a letter, there's something concrete, a piece of paper to be filed.

Rant over (for now):rolleyes: .

TikiKrissy

I was at Disneyland yesterday and talked with a couple of CM about the closing of VMK and what was going to happen with the computers inside Innoventions. They told me that the area inside Innoventions will be changing as well. The area is supposed to become a sort of walk through area that is going to expand on the information given when you first walk into the building - i.e. the home, sports and computer sections. The CM thought there would still be a couple of computers left for VMK but not to the extent that is there now. I sat there yesterday for about an hour and watched hundreds of people walk through the VMK area. A few people messed with the computers a little but I did not see anyone sign up a new account. It appeared to me that the people had no idea what VMK is about and there was no one there to inform them. I also asked a CM if we would get to turn in quests one last time before June 3 even if it hasn't been 60 days and he had no idea. His response to me was "You're not tired of the game yet?" How are they supposed to get people interested in the game if the CMs have no interest in it and no knowledge about it?

Why is this happening?[/B]

VMK was launched for the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland. The game has been enormously successful but the in-Park Quest and Rewards were only meant to be temporary – we've gone well beyond the original time we planned to run the Quest and Rewards in-Park at Disneyland.

No way, it's a conspiracy maaaaan! :hippie:

I'm wondering if they might set up a Finding Nemo character Meet and Greet where VMK Central booth was? Can any longtime APer verify if that's where they set up the "Toy Story Funhouse"? I wasn't an AP holder when they had that in Tomorrowland.

One small point that I was considering...
Maybe they'll move VMK Central to Disney's California Adventure? They've already had two free VMK cards there (Gold Monster doors and Animator's Desk set). I've wondered why the Zoetrope/Animation Viewer card wasn't given away at DCA, since it's part of the Animation Building attractions. There is more than enough space at DCA to house VMK stuff, in particular I'm thinking of the Victorian Houses area by Golden Dreams Theatre. It's a completely empty space, the only thing I've seen it used for was to color Christmas cards the Holiday they had Luminaria. Perhaps this is what QA_EonWrangler was referring to?
TikiKrissy

I don't remember where the funhouse thing was but I don't think it was that spot. Wasn't it set up in the space were Buzz's ride is now? I do know that at one point there was a meet and greet/pic location for a couple of the Bugs Life characters but that was a REALLY long time ago. :laughing:
And I don't think they will be moving it to DCA. Sadly the way it sounds it is gone for good and not coming back at all. It would be great to move over there though. Not just because of space that it has BUT more might go into the park even if it was just for that. LOL

I was at Disneyland yesterday and talked with a couple of CM about the closing of VMK and what was going to happen with the computers inside Innoventions. They told me that the area inside Innoventions will be changing as well. The area is supposed to become a sort of walk through area that is going to expand on the information given when you first walk into the building - i.e. the home, sports and computer sections. The CM thought there would still be a couple of computers left for VMK but not to the extent that is there now. I sat there yesterday for about an hour and watched hundreds of people walk through the VMK area. A few people messed with the computers a little but I did not see anyone sign up a new account. It appeared to me that the people had no idea what VMK is about and there was no one there to inform them. I also asked a CM if we would get to turn in quests one last time before June 3 even if it hasn't been 60 days and he had no idea. His response to me was "You're not tired of the game yet?" How are they supposed to get people interested in the game if the CMs have no interest in it and no knowledge about it?

Totally agree with you on this one!! We also were at Disneyland yesterday too! And I can tell you that the Cm's that work don't care about vmk (if they even know what it is) and most don't even know know what it is. I can't tell you how many times we have been there and inside the Inoventions room and there was no one there to tell people about the game or even help them it! So hhow are people to come into the game if they don't know of it! Most DLR staff don't even know what vmk is! I know this as I have asked questions about things and can't tell you how of them didn't know what we were talking about? Ansd I mean everyone..wheather they worked in store or at vmk ..they just don't about it?? One time I called Diseny to find out if a certain quest was there yet? And I can tell you I went through 5 different people before I found a nice enough young man who didn't know about vmk but went out of his way to take the time to go over to the vmk both and find out for me! Very nice young man. Disney has really not trained it staff about vmk and yet they blame people for a bussiness lost??

Now as for Disney..and weather we will go again... Oh I am a hugh Disney fan always was and always will... But I will say this...sinced I joined vmk.. We have gone many more times to the park... and spent alot more than we normally do! We are not APers...but we have bought 10 times more tickets to go there in the past year! Normally we go once or twice a year and in the past year we have gone at least 15 or 20 times! It was fun doing the quest...seeing and learning things about Disney that we didn't know before! That was fun..and we met other vmker's there also! Disney just seem to make things so much more special for us..sorta like us vmker's were special to Disney!!

We were at Disneyland yesterday..took the lst quests and got the new magic...mickey tv.. and had alot of fun! I think one of the things I will miss more than anything..is that this was something that we did with ours son...and being to have fun with your family like that is really a rareity in todays world...
WE had a ball yeterday as Disneyland.. Even though vmk is closing..we will keep going to Disneyland... but probably not as often as we have been going

We were at Disneyland yesterday..took the lst quests and got the new magic...mickey tv.. and had alot of fun! I think one of the things I will miss more than anything..is that this was something that we did with ours son...and being to have fun with your family like that is really a rareity in todays world...
WE had a ball yeterday as Disneyland.. Even though vmk is closing..we will keep going to Disneyland... but probably not as often as we have been going

and that is the point. Why cut off a group of people who have stepped up their visits to the Park. Not sure I understand their way of thinking.

I have not read the entire thread, but I have read posts here and there throughout - so please forgive me if I sound out of place, redundant, or not following in the discussion.

My thoughts on VMK Central closing in DLR are not sad, distraught, or angry, but rather "okay, fine by me". Even though I don't go to DLR, I am thinking of this situation as if the WDW VMK Central were closing (which is bound to happen). I, personally, would not get upset over the fact that a central for an online video game was closing. VMK is suppose to replicate the Magic Kingdom, I wouldn't want to go to the actual Magic Kingdom and revert back to the virtual one -- when I'm at Disney, I'm gonna spend my time in the real one.

The quest items may or may not be released anytime in the future through vmk and if not, hey that will just eventually make them "rare" and a lot of people seem to like things that are rare to the game. This closing just makes it easier now because you don't have to fill out for quests at the real park, you can spend your time there enjoying Disney, not feeling like you have to stock up on items for a video game.

I know at VMK Central at WDW, it was fun meeting people there...but there are plenty other places to meet up besides VMK Central.

I like VMK because it reminds me of Disney, I don't like Disney because it reminds me of VMK - Disney has always been a love of mine and VMK is a way to help me get excited for upcoming trips. I don't look forward to Disney because of vmk. I would not get upset over the fact that VMK Central is being removed because there is no need for it. Without quests, it's not necessary and they can get us "quest" items in other ways such as new releases in the game, prizes, etc.

I prefer the real Disney over the virtual one.

This is ALL just my opinion. I am in NO way trying to put down anyone complaining about vmk central closing. I'm really not :goodvibes

I went to DLR on Tuesday with my parents (Pirate_Bell & Space_Grumpy). I took a picture of DLR's VMK Central kiosk from up in the Space Mountain queue. For those not familiar with the locale, the building right behind the kiosk with the curving ramp is Innoventions (in which the VMK computers reside).

If you click the picture you'll see it slightly larger
(and can download a full-sized copy there too).

This is what we're saying good bye to. :sad1:

>sigh< _ Oh well. If you like, feel free to view the full album of our trip which includes some pictures of inside Innoventions. It was the last time we got to take VMK Quests. Still, we had a great time. :rolleyes: And Disneyland itself will still be there to look forward to. _ So long DLR VMK Central. _ R.I.P. Ol' Friend.

I have not read the entire thread, but I have read posts here and there throughout - so please forgive me if I sound out of place, redundant, or not following in the discussion.

My thoughts on VMK Central closing in DLR are not sad, distraught, or angry, but rather "okay, fine by me". Even though I don't go to DLR, I am thinking of this situation as if the WDW VMK Central were closing (which is bound to happen). I, personally, would not get upset over the fact that a central for an online video game was closing. VMK is suppose to replicate the Magic Kingdom, I wouldn't want to go to the actual Magic Kingdom and revert back to the virtual one -- when I'm at Disney, I'm gonna spend my time in the real one.

The quest items may or may not be released anytime in the future through vmk and if not, hey that will just eventually make them "rare" and a lot of people seem to like things that are rare to the game. This closing just makes it easier now because you don't have to fill out for quests at the real park, you can spend your time there enjoying Disney, not feeling like you have to stock up on items for a video game.

I know at VMK Central at WDW, it was fun meeting people there...but there are plenty other places to meet up besides VMK Central.

I like VMK because it reminds me of Disney, I don't like Disney because it reminds me of VMK - Disney has always been a love of mine and VMK is a way to help me get excited for upcoming trips. I don't look forward to Disney because of vmk. I would not get upset over the fact that VMK Central is being removed because there is no need for it. Without quests, it's not necessary and they can get us "quest" items in other ways such as new releases in the game, prizes, etc.

This is ALL just my opinion. I am in NO way trying to put down anyone complaining about vmk central closing. I'm really not :goodvibes

You're right and it is that, your opinion, I agree with you on one point that I go to Disney Parks not to play a virtual game but to have fun with my family and enjoy the Parks and the VMK quests were a fun part of that expierence. It added another facet to a beautiful jewel.

If VMK central closes down, it will not be the end of the world just like when MrToad closed, I was very sad. We did not revolve our last trip to WDW around VMK but VMK was a part of it we did the quests and turned them in.

The quest were/are an enjoyable way to share fun with your family just as hunting down hidden Mickeys is or many of the other hidden fun things people do with in the parks.

:sad1: We don't get to 'the worlds' very often and we have a Disneyland trip coming up...I was looking forward to the opportunity to get rare VMK items....:guilty:

I went to DLR on Tuesday with my parents (Pirate_Bell & Space_Grumpy). I took a picture of DLR's VMK Central kiosk from up in the Space Mountain queue. For those not familiar with the locale, the building right behind the kiosk with the curving ramp is Innoventions (in which the VMK computers reside).

>sigh< _ Oh well. If you like, feel free to view the full album of our trip which includes some pictures of inside Innoventions. It was the last time we got to take VMK Quests. Still, we had a great time. :rolleyes: And Disneyland itself will still be there to look forward to. _ So long DLR VMK Central. _ R.I.P. Ol' Friend.
AWESOME pics! Made me want SO badly to go to DLR. Sure I can go to WDW but for some reason it just can't compare to DLR. :sad1: RIP VMK Central. I'm sure WDW's is doomed as well, but like Loves Disney said, I go to the parks for the parks. VMK is a little extra reward, nothing more. Sure it's disappointing, but hey, I was disappointed when they replaced Alien Encounter with Stitch and when they closed Who Wants to be a Millionaire-- Play It! Neither of those stopped me from going to the park, so why should any VMK closures do it? This was another $0.02, so I guess I'm up to $0.04. ;)

Thanks for the picture! I am sure going to miss that kiosk :sad2:

We also go to the parks for the Disney experience and not the quests but it sure was a nice bonus.:thumbsup2
I think the thing that worries me the most is that if they are taking the in park quests away how much longer before the whole game is gone?. VMK was never a highly promoted game and if the only type of advertising (little that it may have been) is at the parks then how is the game itself now going to be advertised? :rolleyes: . Who is going to buy a pin with a "VMK" card and code if there is nothing at the parks to explain what VMK is? I hope I am wrong but after this announcement I am scared the days left for VMK are numbered.

We also go to the parks for the Disney experience and not the quests but it sure was a nice bonus.:thumbsup2
I think the thing that worries me the most is that if they are taking the in park quests away how much longer before the whole game is gone?. VMK was never a highly promoted game and if the only type of advertising (little that it may have been) is at the parks then how is the game itself now going to be advertised? :rolleyes: . Who is going to buy a pin with a "VMK" card and code if there is nothing at the parks to explain what VMK is? I hope I am wrong but after this announcement I am scared the days left for VMK are numbered.

I agree, my thoughts exactly.

Agreed. All the times we go it never once revolved around VMK. Usually I wouldn't even go by the area unless we happened to go on something in Tomorrowland. That was mostly left up to what the kids wanted to do. One of the last times we went we happen to go over there each visit. So the one I grabbed a bunch of the quests so I could take them home to do the answers. Then once the Tomorrowland print out one was up on the site I printed it out for the next time we went. So I did all that the last time we went and turned them in. If we had not gone over by that area I would have waited until our next time back but we did go over in that area. There was a good line during that time (it was on the weekend). I'm sad and disappointed that we won't have this extra bonus to do but really its not going to affect the time we spend in DL since it really never did before. I'm sure there are those it might have been the one and only reason they went and spent time in the park. But you know how many pin collectors I have seen like that over the years? OMG nothing was as bad as that IMO. :laughing: When DL was at its peak with the pin collecting you could find some many of the same people in the same spot every time you go. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone with saying that. Just trying to point out that there are some that go and its for something other then the park. I know most those are APers though that would do that. And we have our Aps but I love going on the rides and walking around the stores. Its just how we are with things when it comes to Disneyland while others aren't. Which to me that is their choice on how they spend their time in the park. Its what they decided to do with their ticket (money).:laughing: Hopefully you all can understand the point I was trying to make. i'm tired from a couple of nights of not much sleep thanks to a teething baby.
And also one of my thoughts after this news about the DL VMK Central was how much longer then is the game going to last? Or how much longer will it be free if it is kept going? As someone else has said there are lots of other free online game sites that ended up going that way with adding stuff for those that decided they would be willing to pay for whatever extra features. Plus its something Disney is going to have already set up with the way their MMO Pirates game will be. I would hate for VMK to have that happen. I know I won't pay for it. We are already paying a bunch for MMOs each month (mostly cause we have 2 accts for them:rolleyes1 ). I think now is the time for answers on why this is happening and the future of the game. It can be done without giving away things that could be added to the game in the future. I can't help but wonder how much longer VMK has.:sad2:

Goofy Bob what a cool thing to do for your parents!! Loved the pics and thanks for sharing them with us.

I suppose this brings home the importance of the in-park quests and VMK central for me. It was a great way and a good place to personally meet people that I had 'met' in the game. The tour was the first time I had met other players, and it was fun to meet those who enjoyed the game as much as I did. And it was enlightening to find that so many of those players were adults.

I would never have met so many truly wonderful friends that share my love of Disney if it hadn't been for VMK. But I may never have met them in person if it wasn't for the VMK Quests and VMK Central. It gave us a safe place to meet with a fun activity to do. Now I've gone to other events with these people, like Baseball game, pin events, I've even vacationed with a few of you! Now I understand that it was never VMK's plan for any of us to meet in person, but without VMK I would be missing out on knowing some really nice people.

So without VMK Central, I guess we will be needing to do some in-park "Cazalet's Quests". I'll even take up the challenge of Goofer's idea of 'Cazalet's Lost, looking for the VMK Central Kiosk'. I'll let you all know when it's ready.

BTW, add me to the list of those that were in the park (and at VMK central) on Tuesday.:lmao: We should have had a meet! (and yes, the CM's were actually happy that the VMK booth was going away. They have taken much abuse at the hands of adult VMK players:sad2: )

Thanks for the compliments on the pix Aliceblue, Narnian_Princess, PrincessDonnaT, and Berry Princess. It was bittersweet doing those last quests. I had to get a good picture of the kiosk location to by which to remember it. I thought I'd share it for all to remember too. I put the link to the album though as a reminder that there are so many other wonderfully fun things to do at DLR besides VMK. It was a Good Day. :goodvibes

... I hope I am wrong but after this announcement I am scared the days left for VMK are numbered.
I agree, my thoughts exactly.
I'll third the motion. I've kind of already resolved to myself that VMK is over. The wish my heart makes is that it's not true that Great New Things Are Ahead, but the realist in me knows this won't be the case. :sad2:

... on Tuesday ... We should have had a meet!
Tuesday was when Dad and I had matching days off before June 3rd. I mean the Parkhoppers had already been purchased from the Disney Store and Mom already had hers from Mother's Day. Dad only got his early on Monday night after the Newsletter and it was spontaneously decided to go the next day. A meet would have been fun. Another day perhaps... :scratchin

Okay, several things I have to say about this.

1) If they were planning on doing something like take it completely out of one of the parks, it would have been nice if they had given a little more warning than, oh, two weeks before it happens. Not everyone has the luxury of dropping everything and rushing to Disneyland with two weeks notice.

2) It would have been nice if they hadn't kept teasing us with the upcoming Mickey Mouse set of seasonal cards when it was apparently known by headquarters all along, as part of their master plan, that we wouldn't get an opportunity to go get all of them.

3) I have an annual pass for Disneyland because I live in California. At this point in my life, a trip to WDW is just not plausible, whether their goal in this whole endeavor is to market for me to go there or not. College is sucking any money I *do* have right out of my bank account, and I'm sorry but my education is more of a priority than flying across the country to visit a theme park I have the equivalent to right here. Despite this, a significant amount of my money WAS put into the annual pass I do have. I have that annual pass so I can go to Disneyland regularly. And the main reason I go to Disneyland as regularly as I do is because of the VMK quests and such. I know people love Disneyland, and I do too, but it's not that big and on the off seasons not that busy. I can get through most everything pretty easily on a regular basis, which can get repetitive and (please don't hurt me for saying this) at times boring. It was those quests that have rejuvenated my trips to the park. And with each of those trips, my family tends to spend a significant amount of money on food and souvenirs. With the quests leaving, I really don't think I'll be going to the park nearly as often, and honestly, I'm not so sure I even want to renew my AP.

4) I don't know how many people remember Innoventions before VMK came along, but it was essentially pointless. The building had sat empty for years and when it finally reopened as Innoventions it was interesting to have something different, but that interest faded fairly quickly. The computers on the bottom floor didn't have a whole lot to them and were frequently broken in some way. Changing everything on the bottom floor to VMK revitalized it and made it much more interesting. I found myself going into Innoventions fairly regularly, when before I would avoid it like the plague (seriously, I would dread going there when anyone would even suggest it).

5) I really don't understand how it was supposed to be so apparent to all of us that having VMK quests at Disneyland was simply a 50th anniversary thing. I can understand the *50th Quests* being a 50th anniversary thing, but VMK as a whole? It just doesn't make sense, truth be told. I personally feel that since they started things at both parks at the same time they should be taking stuff away from both at the same time. None of this "we planned this all along to only have it in one park" nonsense. The whole situation is such a slap in the face to all of the west coasters who have put a lot of money into being able to obtain these "free" items.

Basically, I'm fed up with all of this. I like the Disney product, but as a whole the company really has the worst marketing staff I have ever seen (not just with VMK, but with many other things through the years).

Anyway, because of all of this, I've lost a lot of interest in even playing VMK anymore. They've just taken away a lot of what was fun for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter