Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

It seems that points bookings at the Swan and Dolphin for December 2020 (starting about Christmas) and beyond (thru currently bookable dates) are almost all valued at 60,000 points per night. Any thoughts as to why? Some months have anywhere between about 20% to 50% of the dates blocked out for points bookings. You have to go back to September to find any 40,000 dates.

This is caused by high occupancy from rescheduled visits, too far in the future and based on anticipated occupancy, more than usual number of conventions, points grab...?

Points values are based on Marriott's search engine. Looking at the Swan/Dolphin "Value Days" calendar, however, there are some 40,000 points nights, which might be due to calendars not being updated, recently.

@shoreward that is the new point value for S/D, very disappointing but the change was announced some time ago. To be honest I do wonder if they might reverse the points valuation once this whole crisis is over. I think, like the airlines, Marriott and other hotel changes are going to see a massive reduction in hotel stays. They've already announced that your current status will be locked in place. They are going to need to really step up their game to get people traveling again.

I think once things begin to reopen and staff begin to return not only to S/D, but Marriott corporate you may see them look at the calendars and other items. I just don't think its on the priority list with minimal staff.

@shoreward that is the new point value for S/D, very disappointing but the change was announced some time ago. To be honest I do wonder if they might reverse the points valuation once this whole crisis is over. I think, like the airlines, Marriott and other hotel changes are going to see a massive reduction in hotel stays. They've already announced that your current status will be locked in place. They are going to need to really step up their game to get people traveling again.

I think once things begin to reopen and staff begin to return not only to S/D, but Marriott corporate you may see them look at the calendars and other items. I just don't think its on the priority list with minimal staff.
Did they change from Category 6 properties?

Category 6 is valued at 40,000 points for off-peak, 50,000 for standard, and 60,000 points for peak.

Maybe my post was not clear, but I was trying to note that the majority of the dates were valued at the peak (highest) rate, with very few standard rate nights.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Marriott will adopt the same approach as the airlines. They are a behemoth now and set the standards in their industry. I wonder if they'll up rewards costs to either chew up outstanding points and/or encourage people to hold onto points and book on cash.

It's almost time to book our Easter 2021 trip and I'm not sure whether to book or not. Booking early means they might not offer discounts later on. OTOH, I don't want to get shut out and have to pay Disney pricing (I need 4 rooms).

Honestly, I'm so upset at what's going on in the world that I'm having trouble thinking about booking a vacation, even one a year from now. It seems tone-deaf or something.

Maybe my post was not clear, but I was trying to note that the majority of the dates were valued at the peak (highest) rate, with very few standard rate nights.
Yeah they switch to a Category 6 fairly recently, the Dolphin went from 4 to 5 in 2018, catching up with the Swan then I think they switched to a 6 last fall. When I was looking I was seeing a lot of the 60k nights a year out, its very disappointing as a Bonvoy member. But they appear to think they can get it. Or should I say they thought they could, I can't see that point level working out in the new era we're in. Another example of being Bonvoyed!

I'm not sure if Marriott will adopt the same approach as the airlines. They are a behemoth now and set the standards in their industry. I wonder if they'll up rewards costs to either chew up outstanding points and/or encourage people to hold onto points and book on cash.
Thankfully, though they are big, they have major competition from Hilton & Wyndham, IMHO the merger has probably put them in the to big to fail position, but I think this is going to do a lot of damage to them. I'll be curious to watch what happens to Marriott as a whole and how they react. I've got to believe they are going to have to adjust rates to attract customers.

Been considering The Dolphin, I've only stayed at WDW Resorts, so I'm a bit confused. Anyone want to convince me? I know this coming trip we will visit Epcot and Hollywood Studios. So I figured its close to both? We rely solely on Disney transportation so that part makes me a bit nervous. Opinions?

Been considering The Dolphin, I've only stayed at WDW Resorts, so I'm a bit confused. Anyone want to convince me? I know this coming trip we will visit Epcot and Hollywood Studios. So I figured its close to both? We rely solely on Disney transportation so that part makes me a bit nervous. Opinions?
I love the proximity to both EC and DHS. The boats make things very convenient or you could walk to both parks. Dining in the EC resort area is superb not to mention the Swalphin has some of the best dining options (higher end mind you) on property.

The three items that most people find to be detractors from these wonderful resorts:
1. No magical express. If you are flying in you will need to arrange transportation. Whether that means Uber/Lyft or hiring a car through a service like FL Tours (which I can personally recommend) you will need to figure that out in advance.
2. No magic bands/charging in the parks. You can charge things at both resorts back to your room folio but you won't have free magic bands and you won't have charging privileges in the parks. You CAN however, still use the package pickup option when purchasing items in the parks. They will be waiting for you back at the gift shop.
3. Resort Fee. There is a daily resort fee. Just make sure when you book you know the total cost including taxes and the dreaded resort fee. While this is something they should just add in to the total price and call it a day...they don't.
Honorable Mentions: Lack of Disney Theming in the rooms and resort. Sometimes conventions can make things a little busier around property. For the price difference I can overlook both of these EASILY

One of the best things the Swalphin has to offer is a fantastic pool complex. Usually ranks First or Second for most on property. It is a highlight of the trip for us to be sure...and we are just adults!

I have stayed at the dolphin and swan (w/ younger child) and here are my thoughts:

Benefits - in no particular order except #1:
1.) (Much) Cheaper than deluxe disney resorts (even after the resort fee)
2.) I've at least had better luck with housekeeping vs dis resorts (last time I was at GF they kept not coming or thinking that coming at 5pm made sense) @ S/D I've never had an issue.
3.) Quality of room fixtures seems slightly higher than Disney
4.) On-site restaurants are great
5.) If you take vacations elsewhere you can use the Marriott points

Drawbacks -
1.) If you care about theming they're not as well themed
2.) As mentioned above, no DME, no magic bands*
3.) Not unique to S/D, but can be filled with conventions. (Like CSR) This might be less of an issue moving forward at least in the short term

*I would say though that paying for a RT uber from MCO + buying magic bands still ends up costing less if you're staying for more than a few nights. $300 per night including taxes & fees vs, say, $500 per night w/ taxes and fees = $200 * 5 nights = $1,000 savings over a deluxe disney resort would more than cover magic bands + RT airport transfer or car rental.

In short- I would absolutely give it a try. I once had a family suite at Dolphin that saw BOTH epcot and HS nightly shows it was amazing! I don't know if I lucked out or what but it was really cool.

You can often score amazing deals with PL/Hotwire - I've seen it for $149 / night (+ all the fees makes it ~200$/night) I once saw it for $99 but that was about 3-4 years ago.

The proximity to two parks is one of the main reasons we love it. You can walk to both Epcot and DHS. It's a 10-15 minute walk through the Boardwalk to Epcot, and a 15-20 minute walk to DHS. There are also Friendship ferry boats running between Epcot and DHS with stops at all the Crescent Lake resorts (Swalphin, YC/BC, & BWI) if you don't want to walk. The primary factor for us in choosing the Swan over the other resorts in the Epcot Resort Area is price. We booked the Swan for almost half of what it would have cost to stay at BWI, YC, or BC. As others have pointed out, you don't get Magical Express or free Magic Bands, but you do get the critical (for us, anyway) on-property benefits of 60+10 FP+ window, Disney transportation around property, and EMH. For us, the savings is well worth getting an Uber to/from the airport and buying our own Magic Bands.

@Once.Upon.A.Time we've stayed at S/D several times over the years, plus CSR and last February we stayed at POFQ - it was a budget decision for us. In the past S/D has been priced where you were paying moderate prices and getting a Deluxe resort, even with the resort fee. But for us, that wasn't the case and we opted to stay POFQ (which we loved) but the location of S/D is a big win. The Heavenly bed and shower at the Swan are another huge selling point. While the Omelettes at POFQ were fine, we really did miss the variety of the build your own Omelette at Picabu. If you are a AAA member they have good rates for rooms, and you get a discount off of many dining options at S/D too.

Transportation has never been an issue at S/D for us, the boat rides or walk to Ecpot/DHS make it a breeze, bus transport to MK and AK really were never a big deal either. During our January 2018 stay the bus was shared with Boardwalk, so it went to BW/Swan/Dolphin when returning.

For the right price I'd stay at S/D again in a heart beat. If you are a Costco member do price out their package deals at S/D too.

I have stayed at the dolphin and swan (w/ younger child) and here are my thoughts:

Benefits - in no particular order except #1:
1.) (Much) Cheaper than deluxe disney resorts (even after the resort fee)
2.) I've at least had better luck with housekeeping vs dis resorts (last time I was at GF they kept not coming or thinking that coming at 5pm made sense) @ S/D I've never had an issue.
3.) Quality of room fixtures seems slightly higher than Disney
4.) On-site restaurants are great
5.) If you take vacations elsewhere you can use the Marriott points

Drawbacks -
1.) If you care about theming they're not as well themed
2.) As mentioned above, no DME, no magic bands*
3.) Not unique to S/D, but can be filled with conventions. (Like CSR) This might be less of an issue moving forward at least in the short term

*I would say though that paying for a RT uber from MCO + buying magic bands still ends up costing less if you're staying for more than a few nights. $300 per night including taxes & fees vs, say, $500 per night w/ taxes and fees = $200 * 5 nights = $1,000 savings over a deluxe disney resort would more than cover magic bands + RT airport transfer or car rental.

In short- I would absolutely give it a try. I once had a family suite at Dolphin that saw BOTH epcot and HS nightly shows it was amazing! I don't know if I lucked out or what but it was really cool.

You can often score amazing deals with PL/Hotwire - I've seen it for $149 / night (+ all the fees makes it ~200$/night) I once saw it for $99 but that was about 3-4 years ago.

Thank you. I've heard mixed opinions on Hotwire. Anyone have good experiences?

...most people find to be detractors from these wonderful resorts:

3. Resort Fee. There is a daily resort fee. Just make sure when you book you know the total cost including taxes and the dreaded resort fee. While this is something they should just add in to the total price and call it a day...they don't.
If booking on Marriott’s site, you can check off to see the room rates including taxes and fees, so the total cost (exclusive of any parking fees ) is displayed.

For the right price I'd stay at S/D again in a heart beat. If you are a Costco member do price out their package deals at S/D too.
I second that. Definitely check out Costco Travel if you're a Costco member. When pricing the Swan for our 10-night early Dec. trip (re-booked from early May, also at the Swan), Costco was about $700 cheaper than booking through Disney, and $1200 cheaper than booking directly through Marriott.

I booked the swan 3 separate times in Jan and Feb 2020 with Hotwire and priceline. No complaints at all.
All 3 times I was in a room facing the HS side.
Room was clean and quiet.
No hassles checking in or out.
Make sure you sign up for Bonvoy before you get there so you can get free internet.

Admittedly I'm the one that mentioned them.. I have had no problems with them and use them a lot, BUT, I wouldn't use HW/PL for travel until it's very clear that there won't be covid-related closures. (I only use them when I am extremely confident my plans won't be altered.)

Page one makes me want to be there now, except they are closed.

It's hard to beat S/D.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...olphin-resorts-information-questions.3264274/

Thankfully, though they are big, they have major competition from Hilton & Wyndham, IMHO the merger has probably put them in the to big to fail position, but I think this is going to do a lot of damage to them. I'll be curious to watch what happens to Marriott as a whole and how they react. I've got to believe they are going to have to adjust rates to attract customers.

I'm curious if this is locational, but you are the first person I have ever heard consider Wyndham in the same breath as Marriott. I know a LOT of people that travel a LOT for work, and have never heard of anyone staying at a Wyndham. I'd consider it to be Marriott on Tier 1, Hilton and IHG on Tier 2, and everything else far below.

@GoofyDad_4427 Footprint wise they do have more properties. I was very loyal to the Starwood hotels, as were many others. The SPG program was one of the, if not the best, rewards programs. Wyndham is know for their customer loyalty, but they are not as "elite" as many of the Marriott properties. IMHO Marriott has really destroyed their following with all of the changes, I'd say a big chunk of travelers have switch to Hilton. I woulnd't be shocked if Marriott has to take some big steps to deal with the issues cause by Covid-19, would they still part of their properties? I'm not sure but it won't shock me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter