What do I need to have prepared for online check-in?

thank you! The original post said "passport photo and headshot photo" and it made me think that it meant your passport photo as a jpg, not the "photo OF the passport". that makes more sense, thanks. Yes, same as Virgin.

Just hold your passport open flat to the photo/signature page with two fingers (top and bottom). Snap a pic with your phone. Make sure your passport is signed and you have all the numbers that are on the very bottom of the passport included in the pic. And then a separate headshot that is not your passport photo. I do not know what format it is called but I have used the pics I took with my IPhone and uploaded them directly from my phone to the DCL app with no issues other than problems with the app itself.

MJ

Just hold your passport open flat to the photo/signature page with two fingers (top and bottom). Snap a pic with your phone. Make sure your passport is signed and you have all the numbers that are on the very bottom of the passport included in the pic. And then a separate headshot that is not your passport photo. I do not know what format it is called but I have used the pics I took with my IPhone and uploaded them directly from my phone to the DCL app with no issues other than problems with the app itself.

MJ
thank you, I do have them scanned from our last cruise so I'll be able to use those files. just need to remember to take headshots of us all to have ready for online check in.

Where is that listed? I am Gold Thanks
If you are gold it will be 35 days before sailing.

For reference, here are the new tiered dates:
  • Pearl – 40 days before sailing.
  • Platinum – 38 days before sailing.
  • Gold – 35 days before sailing.
  • Silver – 33 days before sailing.
  • First-Time Disney Cruisers – 30 days before sailing.

If you are gold it will be 35 days before sailing.

For reference, here are the new tiered dates:
  • Pearl – 40 days before sailing.
  • Platinum – 38 days before sailing.
  • Gold – 35 days before sailing.
  • Silver – 33 days before sailing.
  • First-Time Disney Cruisers – 30 days before sailing.
Thanks so Much !!!

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I read through all the posts like a crazy person and checked in right at midnight. Total check-in time took only about 5 minutes. PAT of 12:15 boarding group 12, was hoping for earlier but I think this happened because of the tiered system as this is our first cruise. Can't wait to set sail!

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I read through all the posts like a crazy person and checked in right at midnight. Total check-in time took only about 5 minutes. PAT of 12:15 boarding group 12, was hoping for earlier but I think this happened because of the tiered system as this is our first cruise. Can't wait to set sail!
I think that's actually a pretty good PAT/BG considering it's your first cruise!

Is it midnight Florida time that check in opens??

(Sorry if this has already been answered but I don't have time right now to read through everything 😬)

Last edited:
Got done last night with my check in and no one seemed to mention using birth certificates in any of the previous postings in this subject just passports. I'm a US Citizen on a closed loop Fantasy cruise at the start of October and the system did look for photos of the driver licenses in addition to the photos of the certificates. Wish I knew that as I had scanned my birth certificates at work and had nice copies of them and took pictures of the licenses on my kitchen table.
Also I am using Disney transportation from one of the resort hotels and it did not give me an option to select an arrival time. However my Port Arrival Form says boarding group 7 and 11:45 arrival time. I figured the buses would not get there till about then anyway and knew that it really did not matter. I just thought it was funny on the website it did not give me and option and that it said to arrive when I wanted and proceed on to the ship when boarding had started...im only Silver level and not concierge either.

Got done last night with my check in and no one seemed to mention using birth certificates in any of the previous postings in this subject just passports. I'm a US Citizen on a closed loop Fantasy cruise at the start of October and the system did look for photos of the driver licenses in addition to the photos of the certificates. Wish I knew that as I had scanned my birth certificates at work and had nice copies of them and took pictures of the licenses on my kitchen table.
Also I am using Disney transportation from one of the resort hotels and it did not give me an option to select an arrival time. However my Port Arrival Form says boarding group 7 and 11:45 arrival time. I figured the buses would not get there till about then

anyway and knew that it really did not matter. I just thought it was funny on the website it did not give me and option and that it said to arrive when I wanted and proceed on to the ship when boarding had started...im only Silver level and not concierge either.

You didn't have to pick a PAT because you are on DCL transportation from one of the resorts.

I also checked in last night for our October 7th cruise out of NYC to Bermuda. I use this reference page and I thought I had I posted in this thread before but maybe not.

Pack your patience!! DCL system is notorious for glitches and being very slow during online check in. Just keep plodding along until you are done.

As of May 2023, the following dates apply for online check in:

Pearl Castaway Club members and Concierge Staterooms: 40 day prior to sailing
Platinum Castaway Club members: 38 days prior to sailing.
Gold Castaway Club members: 35 days prior to sailing.
Silver Castaway Club members: 33 days prior to sailing.
First Time Cruisers: 30 days prior to sailing.

You will need to do online check in for your cruise at 12:01 am EST on your check in date. You do this as early as possible to get an early PAT (port arrival time). If you know you don’t want to get to the port early then you can do the check in any time after your check in date. DCL staggers arrivals so not everyone is arriving at the same time. Earlier PAT usually means earlier onboard the ship. Concierge and Pearl members do not have to pick a PAT. They can arrive at the terminal at any time during boarding process.

Preparation:

Download the DCL App through the app store and link your DCL reservation to it. Make sure you have latest version of app. Reservation number should be on your email confirmation from DCL.

You can check in right through the DCL app on your phone or your Disney Cruise Line account online (if you are using a computer you will need to have a Disney Cruise Line account set up).

Before you even begin the check-in process make sure you take pics of your passport photo/signature page AND have a head shot of each person. I just opened my passport and took a pic with my phone of the top and bottom of page in one shot. You need the head shot of each person but it can’t be the passport photo. Needs to be 2 different pics. Have these pics stored on whatever device you are using for the check in process. I have always used JPEG files.

1) a clean head shot of each person (against a blank background, straight on, from shoulders up, no sunglasses, eyes must be visible with no glare from regular glasses, nothing on your head and no other people or objects in the pic (this photo cannot be the same as the passport photo).

2) pic of passport photo and signature page or birth certificate if using that. If using a BC and guest is 16 or older then you must also have a pic of their government issued photo ID like a driver’s license. Children under 16 do not need the government ID if using BC.

Have the following handy for reference during the check in process.... it is easiest if you have a document made with all info or make sure you have the info on hand for each passenger:

Birth date, address, cell phone, email address, passport number, passport expiration date, safe word for kids club, emergency contact name, emergency contact phone number, credit card information (the card you will be using toward your onboard account). You don’t need kid’s cell or email info.

Flight information for all legs -- date, airline, airport from, airport to, confirmation number/record locator number, flight number, departure time, arrival time.

After you have completed online check in it should say “pending review”. This is normal and will stay that way until about 2-3 days before the cruise. Sometimes the system will reject an uploaded photo if it is not clear or if its a glitch. You may have to upload again. If DCL does not approve of the pic they usually notify you and you will have to upload again.

Hint: if you want to get through the online check in quicker to get to the end where you pick your PAT, you can skip entering the airline info for now and go back and add it in later (just pick a non flight option). Same with credit card info....just put the cash account option and then go back in after you get your Port Arrival Time (PAT) and add credit card you want to use for your onboard account.

I do want to say be careful going through the scanners your AirPods. Since we had to walk kids through security and had a stroller we were distracted and didn’t even notice they were missing until we were on the cruise.

Once we came back location showed that they were at the security area but the head security person brushed us off saying she sees this all the time and we probably lost them on the cruise.

We pinged it so at least that would have rung really high in someone’s ears. Regardless to say have a case and attach them to a wallet or something.

Also I am using Disney transportation from one of the resort hotels and it did not give me an option to select an arrival time. However my Port Arrival Form says boarding group 7 and 11:45 arrival time. I figured the buses would not get there till about then anyway and knew that it really did not matter. I just thought it was funny on the website it did not give me and option and that it said to arrive when I wanted and proceed on to the ship when boarding had started...im only Silver level and not concierge either.
Hi, thank you for your post. Quick question I thought if you used DCL transport, you are to get boarding group 3 but i am seeing more and posts about people getting later boarding groups. Is this new? Did something change?

Thank you and wishing you a wonderful cruise!

Hi, thank you for your post. Quick question I thought if you used DCL transport, you are to get boarding group 3 but i am seeing more and posts about people getting later boarding groups. Is this new? Did something change?

Thank you and wishing you a wonderful cruise!

I don't think it is an automatic BG #3 if you are on DCL transport anymore. Maybe since they initiated Pearl members not having to pick a PAT assigning them and Concierge low boarding group #'s. We took DCL transport from Coronado back in March and we got BG #7 down from #15 before I added the transfers. When I did online check in before we booked the transfers our PAT and BG were much later/higher. Both PAT and BG adjusted immediately after I booked the DCL transfers. We decided late in the game to add a few days at WDW pre-cruise thus making it easier for us to cancel the rental car we originally had booked and just book the DCL transfers from the WDW hotel.

Once they start calling boarding numbers it goes really fast. I think there is only a few minutes before they call the next one....like under 5 minutes.

Have a great cruise!!

MJ

I don't think it is an automatic BG #3 if you are on DCL transport anymore. Maybe since they initiated Pearl members not having to pick a PAT assigning them and Concierge low boarding group #'s. We took DCL transport from Coronado back in March and we got BG #7 down from #15 before I added the transfers. When I did online check in before we booked the transfers our PAT and BG were much later/higher. Both PAT and BG adjusted immediately after I booked the DCL transfers. We decided late in the game to add a few days at WDW pre-cruise thus making it easier for us to cancel the rental car we originally had booked and just book the DCL transfers from the WDW hotel.

Once they start calling boarding numbers it goes really fast. I think there is only a few minutes before they call the next one....like under 5 minutes.

Have a great cruise!!

MJ
Thank you so much for your response!! We are super excited and can't wait.

Thank you everyone. Your tips and tricks helped me to check in last night for our HNL to AUS cruise. For this one they did ask for the Australian visa to be uploaded as well as the passport. I am traveling with my mom and she does not have her visa yet. She needs medical clearance and her appointment is in the next couple of days. To get around this issue, I uploaded my visa in her account and it was accepted for now; so I was able to complete check in and get our PAT with boarding group 6. When her visa gets approved, I will swap mine out for hers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter