What were you made fun of for in school?

the bright spot for all of us is that a heartening number of kids who were made fun of or unpopular in school end up having the last laugh with more successful lives than the "popular" kids who think they'll always be able to coast through life on their looks or personality - then deal with dead end jobs, broken relationships, and other dysfunctional stuff. Seen quite a few of those fallouts.

Plus, a miserable childhood is practically a prerequisite for becoming a successful rock star, comedian or actor lol
I don't wish ill on anybody, or revel when it happens, but I agree, the bolded does seem to play out pretty regularly.

Being extremely skinny with very thin legs. Plus my last name (Dinger - sounds like singer). Got every different thing you could think of. With my weight, it was light hearted, like don't get blown away when it was really windy.

thank God for me college was a 180 turn compared to High School. I was not in the popular crowds in HS, but College was awesome. anyways. I was made fun of for acne and weight at times.. though when I think abou it, I wasnt really overweight.. I have a curvy bottom and was not a skinny minny that fit in size 6 jeans..

As a kid on my street there was a house down the street. There was one boy who was horrible... always picked on me and threw my Barbies on our roof Was also the typical school trouble maker, always suspended.. Their whole family were "A" types... my parents avoided them. .. He has an older sister who was such a female dog...
She would also pick on me.. Strange thing is about 5 years ago she found me on FB... Private messaged me and told me what her brother was up too. He is a cop and she also said how ironic that is based on his childhood... Then came the bomb.. She apologized for back then.. said something like. "hey just wanted to say sorry for all those times I was horrible to you"...

I was like wow.

Don't even get me started on how POORLY physical education classes were run in '70s and '80s when popular kids were captains picking teams and that feeling of always picked last/no one wanting you on their team. No individual sports or activities were ever allowed that could give a child who's overweight or poor at sports a shot at enjoying fitness and building some self worth...just kickball, softball, bball games....where the only thing that matters is winning.

Honestly, I have never had a PE teacher I would call a "teacher" - because I have respect for teachers and none of the ones I've had earned that title. They did more harm than good, favoring the kids that were thin or athletic and embarassing the few (in those days, hardly anyone was fat) who were overweight or struggled with sports. Today, PE teachers like that wouldn't be allowed, but back then, no one advocated for kids.

(Anyone see that Frasier episode about the PE teacher he dated - and the awful memories it brought back for him and Niles about their crappy PE teachers in the past? Sooo true.)

The bright spot is that quite a few of us ended up having more successful lives than many "popular" kids who figured they'd coast through life on looks and charm. Rarely ends well.

Plus, a miserable childhood is practically a prerequisite for becoming a successful rock star, comedian or actor lol

Your post brought back some horrible PE memories for me!

I was thin, but not athletic in any way and PE was just the WORST for me. This was late 60s/70s/early 80s. I mean, my GOD, it could have been so much better but they were truly horrible about the things they did. It was a horrible 45 minutes EVERYDAY (back then we had it daily) for anyone who hated Basketball, Softball, etc. I think I was okay when we did archery, track and field was just a little okay. I tolerated gymnastics okay but barely. By the time I was in 10th/11th grade, I'd had enough and just refused to dress for PE and participate when we were doing something I hated. Yeah, didn't do wonders for my GPA but enough was enough.

• Love
Reactions: shh
Being poor growing up in a upper middle class/wealthy town. We weren't even poor by most standards, but I didn't get a brand new BMW the year I got my driver's license - so I was considered poor. In addition to that, my parents wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on my clothes. I was lucky to be even taken to Burlington. Being a trained dancer anyway, most of my clothes were athletic outfits with leggings - which all could be had relatively cheap. Oddly enough, it's what I still wear most of the time.

I went on to get two masters degrees (biomedical engineering & my MBA), while a large proportion of my classmates have done next to nothing with their lives.

Reactions: shh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter