• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Who drives to WDW

We've driven from Pennsylvania, straight through, and will NEVER do it again. Son (18 months) had ear infection and we didn't know it yet. Was the longest drive ever. Got to disney and spent the first day in the ER. With the bargain airfare we found ($54 each way), we can't drive for that amount.

Just returned from our trip.Left NY 230am and 16 hours later we checked in to Holiday Inn Jacksonville...another 1.5 to Disney from there.17.5 home..drove straight through..really was not bad at all!:cutie:

Wow! What part of NY did you leave from? We live in Albany NY and it takes us about 13 hrs just to get to Fayetteville, N.C! Can you give me any tips, please?:goodvibes

Wow! What part of NY did you leave from? We live in Albany NY and it takes us about 13 hrs just to get to Fayetteville, N.C! Can you give me any tips, please?:goodvibes
I CAN DO IT IN 16 1/2 HOURS AND IM ABOUT AN HOUR FROM NEW YORK CITY. THATS STOPPING FOR GAS ND BATHROOM BREAKS. NO SIT DOWN MEALS AND AVER. ABOUT 70-75 ALL THE WAY. WHICH WAY DO YOU COME DOWN?

Im in Hicksville..3hrs from you.I have family in Albany.We leave at 3am so there is basically no one on the road and we are out of Washington before the traffic hits.The speed limit goes up once you are out of NY/NJ and that really helps.I think we were steady 80 which cuts the time alot.We went LIE-BQE THROUGH STATEN ISLAND,GOTHELS TO NJTPKE AND I95 ALL THE WAY.We stopped only for quick bathroom and snacks..I packed alot of food going down which helped ALOT! Coming home it was Dunkin Donuts lol...:cutie:

We live in Pittsburgh and this will be our first year to drive. We have planned on driving the past 3yrs but I always find last minute cheap airfare and fly instead. Has anyone driven from pgh to disney I am interested in knowing how long it really takes. Mapquest syas 16hrs. But I am thinking much longer.

I CAN DO IT IN 16 1/2 HOURS AND IM ABOUT AN HOUR FROM NEW YORK CITY. THATS STOPPING FOR GAS ND BATHROOM BREAKS. NO SIT DOWN MEALS AND AVER. ABOUT 70-75 ALL THE WAY. WHICH WAY DO YOU COME DOWN?
I come down 87 to 287. Then the NJ Turnpike to i-95 all the way.

We live in Pittsburgh and this will be our first year to drive. We have planned on driving the past 3yrs but I always find last minute cheap airfare and fly instead. Has anyone driven from pgh to disney I am interested in knowing how long it really takes. Mapquest syas 16hrs. But I am thinking much longer.

I am not from Pittsburgh, but don't forget that you will be stopping to fill up with gas, bathroom breaks, and eating (unless you bring food with you to eat while driving). However, this does not really add up to a whole lot. I enjoy stopping every couple of hours just to stretch my legs and walk around a little. Also, you might enjoy stopping at the state lines to take pictures.

We have driven every year from London Ontario. It is just over 4000 km round trip (about 2500 miles). We drive straight through down I75. We absolutely love the drive. When it is all of us the trip is far cheaper to drive. With just dh and I for this upcoming trip it was pretty even but dh hates flying and I don't really mind the drive so we are doing it again.

Ok we too have done the driving down thing from Long Island with 2 kids both under 6....with gas prices soaring-take the 2.5 hour flight out of McArthur! Less $$ less stress. Disney picks you up at no extra cost at the airport in a beautiful coach bus and brings you back-its so much better-they grab your bags-no worries...we live in Florida now, and its a 2 1/2 hour drive and we laugh because we leave when our friends planes leave and get to the resort around the same time!:thumbsup2

We'll be driving from RI to Disney in December. Our plans are to transfer the girls to their car/booster seats in the middle of the night and just leave...having packed the rental minivan the day before. Then we'll stay in North Carolina overnight in the middle of the drive. It'll be the first time I've taken both girls on such a long trip...only one I've ever done was when my oldest was 3 months old, to Kentucky.

We drove from NOVA on our last trip, it took about 15 hours (including many breaks). The kids were 12, 10, and 2- so it became challenging at times. Our 2 yr old became very restless in her seat. One thing I would suggest for anyone leaving from the general area of DC is to leave in the late afternoon/ early evening. That way the kids can be awake more at the beginning of the drive, as opposed to the end (after you've been in the car for so long). Lesson learned for us since we left too late at night.:drive:

We probably fly about half the time and drive the rest. It is about a 17 1/2 hour drive, but after two consecutive plane trips down that took almost 16 hours (one I was by myself), I decided that it was just as easy (and less stressful) to drive. The only direct flights we can get are into Sanford and that is a great flight, but it makes the rental car necessary as ME doesn't pick up there. Anytime I have a layover, I always factor in a 4-5 hour delay (rarely have I not had this happen, but it only happens when I fly to FL) and that is just annoying to me to sit in the airport doing nothing. I flew down in Sept 07 by myself and met some friends there, got down there right on time (TPA), but on the way home, I spent 6.5 hours in the ATL airport that weren't planned, making the trip from the house in Tampa to home almost 11 hours.

We usually leave early am on the way down and stop over in central or southern GA, then a short day into Orlando. On the way home, we leave early am and drive straight home. My DS (6) has a DVD player, a DS, and a Leapster, plus several books along to keep busy. DH and I have Sirius satellite radio to listen to so the trip doesn't seem too bad. Besides, as DVC members, it's nice to have the car to run to the grocery store if we forgot anything.

We have been driving from NY the past few years and almost booked a flight this time but ds 18months has changed our minds(he can be a bit loud at times).I was just wondering who else does the roadtrip and wher:) e from??

We drive from SC, takes about 9-10 hours. Of course when I was younger, before kids I could get to Miami in that amount of time. :lmao: Depends on how fast you drive...

We'll be driving from Louisville, KY. And before we moved here we always drove from Knoxville, TN. :)

We are driving for the first time in Oct. My plan is to leave our house around 5am and drive for 12 hours. My girls will be 5 and 3 so I was thinking it would be nice for them to swim at the hotel pool after sitting in the car for so long. If anyone has any tips for me I would love to hear them. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter