Who drives to WDW

I can't believe you can't get a cheap flight from NYC to Orlando.

I cost us 8-10 tanks full of gas, I can't remember which. We ended up having to stop in Georgia for the night so that was another $125. We brought food and water but still had to stop for eats. I think that the trip down and back cost us almost $900.

The cost for our flights this year are $250 + taxes per person round trip. That's $1000, and we didn't burn three days od our vacation getting there.

Like it or not the riding does add exhaustion, that you do not have flying (especially for the drivers). We are there and on property ready to do something, versus there and need some down time to recouperate from the drive. That is a major factor for us.

We are more then half way there, drive from near Toronto Ontario and we take 3 days to get there...and yes the kids fight, and I would rather fly and rent a car, but dh likes the drive...

In my opinion! you must be farther out towards the ends of NC, because we are central and it takes me about 8.5 hours of SERIOUS driving if you know what I mean (petal to the metal):lmao: . Anyhow DW will tell you that it is much more relaxed flying and when you get there you are not exhausted, like you are from riding in a vehicle the whole trip. My Dw who was (and still is) apprehensive about flying gladly books our flights now. You actually get extra time at Disney doing this!:cool1:

We are in Charlotte actually. But with as many stops as my kids need to take it seems to take us forever to get anywhere. I always add an hour or 2 to our trip!! ( my 5 year old seems to have to pee, every time we put him in the car). LOL!!

We drove from Louisville, KY to WDW and it took about 13 hrs or so... The great thing was that it took us 2 days to get there. Once we made it to the south side of Atlanta, we stayed the night and then on the return trip home we got to the North side of Atlanta and did the same thing. We loved being able to stop and sight see when we wanted to. In Sept, we plan to do the same thing and maybe spend a day or two at the beach or checking out some of the cotton plantations.
We home school so every place is an adventure full of fun stuff for us!
We seen huge peaches in Georgia and tons of cotton fields...

The trip was quite easy for the most part. We left kinda late at 4pm when we had planned to leave between 10-12 noon. It actually worked to our benefit as the HWY in Atlanta were bare. :)

We are in the car on a typical Saturday sometimes for 5-7 hours straight just exploring new areas...DH loves to drive so I guess we have gotten used to it.Believe me I know kids can be loud but until you have met my ds:scared1: be glad we are not on a possible flight with you lololol.....

We drive from NC when we go do WDW. Whoever said it is more exhausting to drive than fly does NOT know me, LOL. I stress and stress and stress some more. I stress before the flight, during the flight and after the flight. I have never been on a flight from RDU that has not been delayed at least an hour. You have to get there at least 1 1/2 hour BEFORE the flight. On the flight, there is always at least one screaming child and/or someone who smells like they have been traveling for three days(and I always seem to get seated next to one of these two:rotfl: ) After the flight, you have to go collect luggage and either find your rental car place or find ME and get checked in/wait for the shuttle, then get to Disney. ALL THAT is exhausting for me.

For me, it's much better to be in control. DS13 does not usually scream and neither of us stinks. When we leave NC, we leave, no waiting around for delays. And we may be more likely to have a car accident than a plane crash, but it is not as gruesome to think about, for some reason. I like to leave at around 3-4pm and drive through the night. there's very little traffic at that time and we arrive at around Midnight. And driving my own minivan, I don't have to take the Disney bus that seems to inspire more anger in me every time I take it, LOL.

I guess it is personal preference, but for me a 9 hour drive beats a plane ride any day.

Marsha

For a Family of 6, it is much cheaper to drive. (1/3 of the cost) So we always plan on driving the next time we go out. it is only 16.5 hours and we travel at night, so the kids sleep the majority of the trip.

My wife and I switch off half way through and while the one drives the other naps. We then Stop 2-4 hours outside of Orlando to take a day off at a motel to recover before driving the rest of the way to the our resort. This way, the entire family is rested when we arrive.

The second bonus from this is that the money we save from driving, we use for the spending money for the trip.

We drive from south jersey every other visit. We just got back on new years eve after a crowded week. Going down, we split the drive, but coming home made good time driving straight thru. Just can't get good airfares over christmas break.

We drive everytime from Albany NY. I am the only driver so it does get exhausting. We usually leave at 5am but this time we are thinking of leaving at night. We like stopping at all the Welcome centers and we have our favorite hotel in Fayetteville that we stay at each time.....

We drive from VA. With the size of our family, it's a lot cheaper for us and it's not a bad trip at all. :goodvibes

We drive from NE Ohio down! We did stop and stay at a motel (one night, both coming and going, although going we only made it as far as the Florida/Georgia border before we stopped so really it was almost an all day drive home) but those stays and gas were far cheaper than flying! :thumbsup2 We are a family of three, with a teenager. I have a friend with 3 kids, all under age 10, who goes to WDW at least once per year, often twice, and they have always driven down, even with babies in tow, and drive straight through (no motel and switching off mom and dad as driver). To me that would be a challenge!

Last two times we were down there we drove straight. The last time there was only one driver and I just stayed awake the whole time to keep them awake.
I love the drive down there but coming home was harsh. It felt like we were just in the car and we knew what we were getting ourself into.

I wish there was more "neat" things on the road. Id love taking pictures.

We always drive and are driving to Disney in 4 1/2 days !!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

We drive from NC too, it's a 10 hour drive without stops, and we stop quite a bit to stretch. In a few days we will be leaving at 3 pm and driving for about 6 of the 10 hours and staying over in Kingsland, GA. That will leave us with only a 4 hour drive or so the next day and we can be rested and ready for 7 open to close days at the parks!!!

On the way home we also stay over , this time it will be in Kingsland again.

We love the drive...it's so fun! Just being in my van with my family and our music and singing and having fun! We write "Honk if you love Disney World" on the windows and that adds a lot of fun to the drive too:laughing:

We actually got great prices on a flight this time and booked, but decided it wouldn't be the same for us having to stay on site again (there are 6 of us and we love the space of a rental home) and having to take the buses:eek: it would not have been enjoyable. We cancelled the flights and decided to get a townhouse and do 2 days at SW this time and we're glad we choose to drive and we love driving and can't wait!!!

We drive from Georgia.It takes us up to 8 hours with traffic and potty breaks. Dh is used to driving since he is a cop so it is no big deal. Flying is not a good option for us because we are only close to minor airports. Atlanta is 2 1/2 hours away.

The worst part is the traffic on I 4:eek:

Last time we went and took plane with kids my son complained of ear pain for most of the flight, he was in tears, it was an early flight and as usual we were running late so was a stressful morning and we were all exhausted by the time we got there.
This April husband insists on driving there, he wants to drive straight from Northern Virginia but thinking that might be easier for all to stop in Brunswick Ga for the night and head for WDW early morning.
He wants to drive so we do not have to worry about what we can or can not take in the plane and also because he gets ear pain as well (even when wearing earplugs) that usually lasts few days.

We're driving to WDW tomorrow :cool1: We are stopping for the night after 6 hours of driving, leaving us with almost 4 the next day :) It's gonna be fun :woohoo:

We drive everytime (from Niagara Falls, NY). We pack a DVD player, coloring pages, books, CD's, and her pillow! My DD is very scared to fly (I don't want to force her) and DH loves to drive. We pack a picnic lunch and stop when we are hungry or when we need to get out and stretch. Then we we are tired we find a hotel and spend the night. It is such a nice drive!!:drive:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter