Who drives to WDW

We will be driving from OK in July. 19+ hours, but with my job I get a free car and free gas anywhere so it just makes monetary sense for us.

We drove for the 2nd time in August. We live in Long Island, New York. DH does the MAJORITY of the driving. I might drive an hour or two so he can nap, but then he's ready to go again. The first trip, we did stop over somewhere in SC. Our last trip in August, we went straight through.

We have been on vacation to Orlando 18 times since we were dating...and only drove twice. Yes, I love flying and the fact that we are THERE in 2 hours flight time from NYC!!! BUT since we have two kids and lug A LOT of stuff, we find it SO MUCH EASIER to drive now and have our own car! When we fly, DH is the one lugging the two car seats, all of the luggage and a carry on or two, while I take the kids in the double stroller with some carry ons hanging off the back. It's just SO MUCH WORK! And not to mention more expensive. Last trip, the flight was $200 per person. The rental car was upwards of $400 (we were there for 18 days). That's $1200...it only cost $400 in gas to drive. $800 in savings!

We don't go to the parks the first day or two anyway, so feeling tired is never really an issue for us.

We drove for the 2nd time in August. We live in Long Island, New York. DH does the MAJORITY of the driving. I might drive an hour or two so he can nap, but then he's ready to go again. The first trip, we did stop over somewhere in SC. Our last trip in August, we went straight through.

We have been on vacation to Orlando 18 times since we were dating...and only drove twice. Yes, I love flying and the fact that we are THERE in 2 hours flight time from NYC!!! BUT since we have two kids and lug A LOT of stuff, we find it SO MUCH EASIER to drive now and have our own car! When we fly, DH is the one lugging the two car seats, all of the luggage and a carry on or two, while I take the kids in the double stroller with some carry ons hanging off the back. It's just SO MUCH WORK! And not to mention more expensive. Last trip, the flight was $200 per person. The rental car was upwards of $400 (we were there for 189 days). That's $1200...it only cost $400 in gas to drive. $800 in savings!

We don't go to the parks the first day or two anyway, so feeling tired is never really an issue for us.

Im Long Island too:yay:

We have done both ... just depends on what deals come up on airfare for us.

When we do drive, we leave around 7pm at night and drive straight through and stop for gas and bathroom breaks, we are usually on WDW property by 10am-1030am ... my husband does the first leg of driving and I sleep when I can, then I drive from about 2am until 7am and let my husband rest, well he said he doesn't sleep well but atleast he closes his eyes for awhile. The kids sleep in the van most of the way down, and while awake are entertained by movies, gameboy and whatever else they bring to keep busy.

Coming home is always awful, we are all cranky because as my husband likes to say ... "mom is making us all go home today" ... he thinks he is so funny!:rotfl2: We leave WDW around 4am and drive home with the hopes of driving right through and getting home before its dark again.

Its not a bad trip for us, maybe 15-16 hours depends on when we leave and how many times we stop, we come from right outside Philadelphia so its a short hop to I-95!

We drive from LI too!! We are in Yaphank. We usually stop for the night in GA though. I told DH our trip in May I would rather drive and take Magical Express. DD(5) whined too much on our trip in November. Southwest just released flights today and they are too pricey for me so I'll have to see if they come down. Otherwise I may get myself some headphones so I can't hear DD.

We drive from LI too!! We are in Yaphank. We usually stop for the night in GA though. I told DH our trip in May I would rather drive and take Magical Express. DD(5) whined too much on our trip in November. Southwest just released flights today and they are too pricey for me so I'll have to see if they come down. Otherwise I may get myself some headphones so I can't hear DD.

yeah LI!:woohoo:

We drive the 900 miles 1 way each time we go. My husband refuses to fly...says "God didn't give him wings yet, so he aint flyin'!" (Yes were red necks...lol)

Hey Long Island...my brother,sister-in-law and their twins(rocco&grace)leave in the morning for WDW.They too like to drive it...starting from Manorhaven,LI (Port Washington).The suburban all loaded and headed south.Good Luck and Have a Great Time.:woohoo:

We always drive to WDW. We live in North Carolina and less than 10 minutes from I-95. It takes us approx. 9-10 hours, depending on weather, traffic, construction, and how many stops we make. Our goal is to be ready and in the truck at 5:30 a.m. We make 2 quick meal stops and to stretch our legs. Sometimes we might have to stop a third time for another potty break. We arrive at our resort usually around 2:30-3:30 in the afternoon. This is very nice because it gives us time to check-in and get unpacked, explore our resort, have dinner, relax, and get in bed early. We wake up refreshed and with alot of energy for our first day in the parks.

We have a Dodge Ram and it holds alot of luggage, large cooler, etc. Lots of roomy space in the cab, too. Our stay at WDW usually lasts 10 days to 2 weeks. This allows a good amount of time in between, so the return drive is not so close to the day we left home. We try to make the trip every 2 years. I pack enough clothing for the family to last the entire trip so I don't have to do any laundry (a real vacation for me!). This is a great convenience as compared to flying and having to take that much luggage for a family of 4. We also take alot of bottled water, soft drinks, snacks. There is also plenty of room on the way back to hold all of our Disney shopping.

On the trip home, we don't even leave until about 11 or 11:30. We always feel so sad and it is so hard to leave. We pack the truck back up, have breakfast, and take one more sentimental stroll around the resort. The drive back still takes about the same amount of time and it is usually just getting dark when we finally arrive home, so it's really not so bad. My husband usually has a couple more days before he returns to work, so we can sleep in the next day.

The best part about driving is having that time to be with your family and to talk and laugh together.

HI there..my family always drove to Fl. My DH and I now are planning our first trip w/ the kids (we have 5, ages 12-5, youngest is sp needs) The cost of flying is kiling me; the thought of spending 3-4 days in the car when we COULD be at WDW is also painful. Personally, my kids act the same whether they are in the car for 15 minutes or 15 hours, so being w/ them that long doesn't scare me.:rotfl:
We still aren't sure what we're doing..but I feel your pain! (Driving from upstate NY--trip takes about 22 hours depending on stops)

Good luck making your decision!

We drive as well. Houston, TX to DW! 972 miles from the house. We leave at 8:00pm and drive all night so the DD and DS can sleep. The only bad thing is the drive home.......getting out of Florida thru the panhandle is very long.

We flew for the first time in December, but I prefer to drive.
:cool1:

We flew in 1999 and 2006. I hated it. Sure, it was nice to be there in a couple of hours but I get airsick and so does DD11. In 2007, we drove from PA. It was great. I have 4 kids and they were much better behaved in the van than on the plane. And with the cost of flights now, it's just better for us to drive.

We're driving for our April trip from Knoxville. Does anyone know how long that would take? I can't imagine NOT driving! We will be staying at FW (tents) and will most certainly drive to the parks ourselves (except MK) each morning, since we'll be staying until closing each night. I know Disney Trans. is great, but the convenience of having your own car to go offsite for an occasional meal, shopping for ice and drinks etc...is great! We just couldn't do without it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter