Who on earth would stop in Bay Lake Tower?!

DH and I often stay at BLT for 10-12 nights at a time, but the small space isn't an issue for us as we are quite comfortable with each other even in a smaller studio. The Contemporary hotel rooms are 394 square feet and a BLT studio is 339 square feet so they are smaller as the OP knew before booking. It sounds like the OP is ready to move on to 1BR villa sized rooms which are 803 square feet more than twice the size of a CR hotel room. They would still be cheaper using points than staying in a cash room at the Contemporary and they are more than double the size of the regular hotel rooms at the Contemporary.

The studio at BLT is shocking, yes I did my research and checked size etc, but this room is unbearable and unbelievable for 2 adults. It’s comparable to a prison cell, very drab and basic, and how a fifth floor room is apparently a theme park view is a joke. For a comparable amount of points WLV eats it alive and I would choose BWV any day over it. We moved out straight away, a shocking waste of points. I just don’t know who would waste points there. It is not comparable to the Contemporary Resort, that is stunning and the rooms are beautiful. Any thoughts?!

LOL we stayed in a studio as 2 adults and in no way thought it was a prison cell or drab- you are at the very least in a relatively clean hotel room overlooking the Magic Kingdom- that can't be compared to a prison cell. We had a theme park view on the 8th floor and absolutely loved it. The theme to us IS Mickey/ Disney. The artwork around the hotel and in the room of Disney related things, the constant views of the castle on your balcony or elevators, the monorail, the light up Mickey at the pool, etc... We have also stayed in a 2 bedroom Lake View and loved that as well. The walk to MK is so convenient compared to the monorail that has been breaking down often or has long line waits at peak times/ end of the night. Plus, only one monorail stop to transfer to the Epcot monorail. For a parks trip, it is ultimate convenience and gives us the feeling of being in the center of all the action.

I was afraid to stay there because of posts saying there is no theme but when I actually stayed there, I actually loved how Disney it felt. Agree to disagree...

Last edited:
We love staying at BLT. It is one of our most favorite resorts. We do stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom for our family of 4 though.

My grown son and I did spend a few nights in a BLT studio after Christmas one year and we had no issues. Yes, it is a smaller studio, but we both survived:)

The easy walk to the magic kingdom makes BLT a win for us.

We own BLT and bought specifically because we love BLT and the studios. We are 2 adults and the room is delightful to us. Loved our TPV room but REALLY loved our first floor standard view overlooking the bocce court. We adore everything about BLT...especially the part where lots of folks don't like it. Keeps it nice a quiet. I find the place to be quintessentially Disney and very serene at the same time. There are resorts for every taste and budget. Now you know you don't like BLT so you can spend your points elsewhere.

That lobby scent was my biggest issue at BLT. I don't have any scent or lung sensitivities at all but getting anywhere near that lobby really bothered me.

the lobby areas did have a strong sent but we loved it. Haven't stayed in BLT studio but we loved the one bedroom.

So being a DVC member we have stopped in most properties. This year we have come to WDW for a month (chose properties we haven’t stayed at before as we love GFV) and stayed at WLV (1 bed extremely nice), Polynesian Studio (nice room but customer service non existent and Grand ceremonial House constantly busy, Ohana causes chaos and ruined the atmosphere). We then moved to BLT for 11 nights in a studio. Now I don’t buy the whole ‘it’s just a room where you sleep’, if you are DVC you are invested in Disney and the room/villa makes a huge part of your vacation. The studio at BLT is shocking, yes I did my research and checked size etc, but this room is unbearable and unbelievable for 2 adults. It’s comparable to a prison cell, very drab and basic, and how a fifth floor room is apparently a theme park view is a joke. For a comparable amount of points WLV eats it alive and I would choose BWV any day over it. We moved out straight away, a shocking waste of points. I just don’t know who would waste points there. It is not comparable to the Contemporary Resort, that is stunning and the rooms are beautiful. Any thoughts?!

I really like BLT as well as I like BWV.

The difference in sq ft between the BLT and BWV are 20 sq ft, and even less for BRV. IMO you can't notice the difference. However as the layout of the rooms are not the same the BWV/BRV may seem much larger than they really are.

There is one thing in the OP's post that shows what set the flavor of the entire stay: they paid theme park view points and got a fifth floor room. I am one who has repeatedly noted what a rip-off it is to get low floor theme park view rooms. I once got the fourth floor before it became standard view and felt royally ripped off. From fifth floor your main view is the parking lot. No floor below eight (7 is 50/50) should cost the exorbitant points for theme park view. As standard view, the lower floors are fine, because instead of feeling like you have been royally ripped off, you feel like you got lucky. If you get stuck on a low floor when paying the high points for theme park view, everything will feel bad including the small size of the studios.

Thus, if you get theme park view, you should always request high floor and hope you get it. Personally, I now prefer lake view (and request high floor and always have gotten it) and I actually like BLT a lot even though I do not own there, but I usually stay in 1BRs or 2BRs, which are ideal rooms both for size, the extra sleeper chair and the extra bathroom, and the BLT location is ideal.

Last edited:
So being a DVC member we have stopped in most properties. This year we have come to WDW for a month (chose properties we haven’t stayed at before as we love GFV) and stayed at WLV (1 bed extremely nice), Polynesian Studio (nice room but customer service non existent and Grand ceremonial House constantly busy, Ohana causes chaos and ruined the atmosphere). We then moved to BLT for 11 nights in a studio. Now I don’t buy the whole ‘it’s just a room where you sleep’, if you are DVC you are invested in Disney and the room/villa makes a huge part of your vacation. The studio at BLT is shocking, yes I did my research and checked size etc, but this room is unbearable and unbelievable for 2 adults. It’s comparable to a prison cell, very drab and basic, and how a fifth floor room is apparently a theme park view is a joke. For a comparable amount of points WLV eats it alive and I would choose BWV any day over it. We moved out straight away, a shocking waste of points. I just don’t know who would waste points there. It is not comparable to the Contemporary Resort, that is stunning and the rooms are beautiful. Any thoughts?!
IF you did your research you should have known that MK view was hit or miss and that some feel BLT is too modern & none Disney feeling. I can understand it not being your style, even not liking it, but your post seems over the top for some reason. Did something else happen, did you talk to the Front Desk about a different room? IMO this is a little bit how we feel about studios in general, why bother with DVC if you're going to stay in studios. I know it can be cheaper but it is far more likely staying in hotels than villas.

Our 1st stay was October last year. We were quite surprised how much we loved out Lakeview Studio. 4 adults, and no complaints. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. Great location, great vibe. Poly is our home, but this is a close 2nd!

I can't address the BLT studios as we have only stayed in a 1 bed LV on 3 occasions. We love the place, and I was very skeptical going in the 1st time since Im not keen on the "modern" feel of the place. I love the proximity to MK, all the amenities that BLT and especially Contemporary offers. Plus being a boat ride away from FW and WL and monorail whisk away from Poly and GF, makes for some wonderful times. I too love VWL and BWV and we own at both.
Im sorry you had a bad experience, maybe give it a few years and give a 1 bed a try later.

They're bigger than New York studio apartments, for sure.

But really, when you question "who on earth," it's a little insulting. Lots of people love BLT. Has anyone ever said, "oh you're going to Disney AGAIN?" It's like that.

Disney has different hotels and units for different tastes. Many people love BLT and own there. People fight to book the Standard Studios year-round. There are lots of whos on earth who stop there.

We usually stay in dedicated 2BR so can't really comment on the studios. The 2BR are very spacious and feel they provide plenty of room for the 8 people we bring. I actually appreciate the fact the themeing is a bit more muted...not the "in your face Disney" some resort have. I do think that leads to BLT having more love it/ hate it type feelings for the resort than the others. Some people can feel "let down" on not being themed enough. But I think BLT has plenty of positives that outweigh the negatives. The good thing about DVC is that there are plenty of options for places to stay so no reason the OP will ever have to stay there again.

Sensational comments usually make me chuckle. Who knew that BLT studios were tantamount to a prison cell, that they were unbearable and unbelievable, and that they were a shocking waste of points? I've stayed at most of the resorts (lacking only Aulani and VB). As many others have noted, every DVC resort has its detractors and advocates.
- VWL (my home) is way too dark for some; others don't want that Lodge-y feeling.
- AKL is too far away "from the action."
- BWV has bland theming (same with BCV) and color scheme. . .and the Clown Pool!!
- SSR feels like a motel and is too spread out.
- VGF is pretentious, and the studios have no storage.
Etc., etc., etc. . .

I may not enjoy a particular DVC resort as much as I do another, but each has an upside.
- VWL has majestic architecture and is but a boat ride away from MK.
- AKL is gorgeous and boasts three of the better restaurants on property. Don't forget the animals!
- BWV (BCV) has exceptional proximity to Epcot and is decently close to DHS, not to mention the restaurants at the Swalphin.
- SSR's location close to DS makes it a winner since that area is now much nicer than before and constantly improving.
- VGF is very pretty, sits on the monorail, and might have a couple of decent places to eat.
Etc., etc., etc.

Regardless of my likes or dislikes, categorizing a DVC room (outside of major cleanliness or maintenance issues) as terrible seems a mite disproportionate to actuality.

One word...LOCATION. Although I agree with you, too small for us. We booked it and checked in, went to the room and immediately called memeber services and asked if there was ANYWHERE else they could move us to. They moved us to kidani that is now a favorite resort.

When we first saw Kidani Village when it opened, we though it looked very prison-like when you drove up to the building. We really hated the look of the outside. But since the landscaping has grown in, it looks very African. And we'll be staying there again in March.

Now if you were talking about studios, the only studio we will stay in is OKW because we ech get a real bed. Stayed in a BWV studio a few years ago and I got the sleeper sofa (Bill ran the race, so I was nice). It was horrid. Neither of us can sleep on those darn sleeper sofas any more (we did once or twice when we first bought DVC in 1997). So OKW is our studio of choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter