• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

ugh. I think my state is heading toward a mandatory quarantine when returning from FL which with my work schedule would make this race weekend not doable for me.

I assume as with all Disney races previously I am out of luck with my registration.

When it comes to covid, as Mr. Potato Head would say "The word I'm searching for I can't say because there are preschool toys present,"

holy Moly - I did not know this could be a thing again!! May I ask where you are from?!? I am hoping that here in MA we have some test out options…

if school can have “test and stay” for close contacts - there has to be a similar option for travelers!!!

Mandatory quarantining?
Seriously, is that in the USA?
I can see how air travel can be monitored but what if you drive to Florida?
I'm going to self-censor now before I get in trouble (again)...

Mandatory quarantining?
Seriously, is that in the USA?
I can see how air travel can be monitored but what if you drive to Florida?
I'm going to self-censor now before I get in trouble (again)...
I could maybe see if it wasn’t one of the 49 contiguous states

Are half-marathon/challengers able to sell their post-race party tickets? I know they have been able to in the past. I'm trying to figure out if I should include it in my schedule or not (I'm doing the 5k and 10k, not ready for a half) and whether I should just buy at full price for me and my family or wait and see for re-sale.

In the past you could most definitely sell them. In 2019 I purchased one from another runner for my husband. I might hold out for a little bit to decide to purchase direct or from a runner. I don't think here are any guarantees of how things will work this year at this point.

ugh. I think my state is heading toward a mandatory quarantine when returning from FL which with my work schedule would make this race weekend not doable for me.

I assume as with all Disney races previously I am out of luck with my registration.

When it comes to covid, as Mr. Potato Head would say "The word I'm searching for I can't say because there are preschool toys present,"

I live in PA and we had a mandatory quarantine when we went to Disney in January for what would have been marathon weekend/our oldest son's 21st birthday. We decided to go because of the milestone birthday. And I don't regret it since he's moved out and gotten engaged since then. My one kid who was doing in person school had to do virtual for two weeks. Kind of a pain, but we made it through. We drove to PA. My husband still went to work, but he works for a small, independent company and mostly works on his own in the mountains so he wasn't really exposed to any people. I was working at home and homeschooling last year, but I'm teaching in an in-person classroom again so that would really mess my plans up if we returned to a quarantine since I only have 4 PTO days and need them all for this trip. :(

In the past you could most definitely sell them. In 2019 I purchased one from another runner for my husband. I might hold out for a little bit to decide to purchase direct or from a runner. I don't think here are any guarantees of how things will work this year at this point.

Thanks! I'm hoping that we can purchase from a runner, but I will continue to wait.

So, I'm putting a feeler out there... I have my parents booked for race weekend in a deluxe studio at Saratoga. Thursday to Monday...looks like health problems may cause us to cancel them. So, I may have a confirmed reservation to rent....nothing definite, but surely looking that way. If that happens, I would rather offer the reservation to a runner not able to book on property. Just an FYI

A bit surprised that they would be doing this now, Florida seems to be on the downswing of this wave. Guessing they'll keep an eye on things but if it continues on this path, I'm pretty optimistic.

A bit surprised that they would be doing this now, Florida seems to be on the downswing of this wave. Guessing they'll keep an eye on things but if it continues on this path, I'm pretty optimistic.
I’m troubled because nobody really knows what’s going on in Florida since they don’t publish reliable statistics and hospital covid censuses. Now that they’re forcing kids to go to school maskless, I can’t imagine what’s going to happen to the pediatric wards. 😢

Anyway! Moving on…

Has there been any discussion about meet ups at Wine & Dine? We’ll probably have to wait until we get more information on how arrival time windows are going to work before we can set anything up for pre-race mornings. Any thoughts on a more general afternoon meet? Hurricane Hannah’s, maybe, or is that just a MW thing?

So - with the lack of on-site rooms available, I will be offsite and driving in for the 5k. Anyone have experience with this that can help set my expectations on what to expect?

my recollection is that the 5k has not closed roads in the past - so it’s much easier to drive to than the longer races…but this is my first solo trip ever from offsite so want to make sure I am mentally ready! I genuinely hate driving in Florida! I will take Boston/NYC any day!

Anyway! Moving on…

Has there been any discussion about meet ups at Wine & Dine? We’ll probably have to wait until we get more information on how arrival time windows are going to work before we can set anything up for pre-race mornings. Any thoughts on a more general afternoon meet? Hurricane Hannah’s, maybe, or is that just a MW thing?
I've attended several HH meet ups during W&D and hope we do it again. Do you remember the usual time? I'm thinking it was Saturday afternoon, but my memory may be failing me.

I've attended several HH meet ups during W&D and hope we do it again. Do you remember the usual time? I'm thinking it was Saturday afternoon, but my memory may be failing me.

I’ve only done the HH meet-ups during MW. Those are generally on Friday around 2:00.

I checked the 2018 and 2019 Wine & Dine threads and the meet ups were on Saturday at 2:00 at HHs. I assume some of us may not be arriving in time to do Friday (and would prefer Saturday), while some of us may prefer not to have it the afternoon before the HM (and thus would prefer Friday).

Can any of you set up a poll to see if Friday or Saturday is better for this year? I believe the boards allow it, but I don't know how to set it up.

Everyone is reading my mind. I was going to ask about a meet up. We attended the one in 2019. Hoping we have another meet up!

I attended one meet up and it was definitely on Saturday before the HM. I normally try to steer clear of booze the day before a HM, but hey, twist my arm...

So - with the lack of on-site rooms available, I will be offsite and driving in for the 5k. Anyone have experience with this that can help set my expectations on what to expect?
I almost always stay offsite and drive in - it's easy! I aim to be arriving at EP within 15-20 minutes of whenever the onsite race buses start running. So say buses start at 3:30am, I leave my hotel with enough time to arrive at EP between 3:30and 3:45ish. I've traveled in from Sherberth Rd down by AKL, and from the opposite direction from Palm Parkway: I've never encountered any traffic either direction. Just drive to EP the way you normally would to go to the park.

my recollection is that the 5k has not closed roads in the past - so it’s much easier to drive to than the longer races…but this is my first solo trip ever from offsite so want to make sure I am mentally ready! I genuinely hate driving in Florida! I will take Boston/NYC any day!
The Signia, Waldorf Astoria, and JW Marriott, all at Bonnett Creek have availability (Signia at $250/night). I believe there are busses from BC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter