Winter Olympics

And they didn't even show it in prime time!

I saw it in prime time. They started the coverage with Vincent Zhou's program. Then they went to Mike Tirico in the studio and then went to Alpine Skiing or whatever. The remainder of the figure skating they showed later in the night, but they showed the one skate early on. At least that's how I think it played out. But I definitely watched it on NBC because in the earlier part of the day I was just watching the app, and not figure skating.

And they didn't even show it in prime time!

All the early skaters and in fact most of the field were on the NBC sports channel rather than NBC itself. I guess there wasn't anything else to show on the sports channel because whereas in pairs we had to turn to the NBC main network to get the rest of the skating, last night we did not. We were on the Chinese skater in the last group just as NBC started with the Japanese skater in the last group.

Last edited:
All the early skaters and in fact most of the field were on the NBC sports channel rather than NBC itself. We were on the Chinese skater in the last group just as NBC started with the Japanese skater in the last group.

Yup. No cable here, but I caught it for the free ten minutes (3 skaters) online before the website asked me to log-in through a cable provider.

I didn't watch, but read this morning that Nathan Chen pretty much crashed and burned. Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Jacobellis didn't medal, either.

Bad day for U.S. Three medal favorites didn't succeed. Both Mikaela Schiffrin and Lindsey Jacobellis came in fourth and Nathan Chen totally bombed. No medals in women's aerials either after having the top two qualifying runs.

Looks like I posted at the same time at Action City.

Total bummer.

I didn't watch, but read this morning that Nathan Chen pretty much crashed and burned. Mikaela Shiffrin and Lindsey Jacobellis didn't medal, either.

My wife says it's karma that Jacobellis didn't medal for 3 straight Olympics after that showboating maneuver in 2006.

I don't believe in karma, so I'll say she choked in 2010 and 2014. Last night she just didn't have enough juice to medal.

Losing AND being impolite? I think I'm going to faint. :faint:

Another intersting thing is, during the Scotties (which we were able to watch via ESPN3 app) one thing that was specifically mentioned by one of the commentators was that one of the things they wished would be changed is that the rule about touched stones wasn't left up to the skips to decide, but was a hard rule enforced by the judges.

ETA: Ooops - I meant to quote @hopemax above.
It's worked fine the way it is since time immemorial because good sportsmanship says you never remove a rock unless it significantly impacts play. For that matter, a curler should always remove their own rock if they burn it to prevent the opposing team's skip from having to make the awkward decision. :o

Another intersting thing is, during the Scotties (which we were able to watch via ESPN3 app) one thing that was specifically mentioned by one of the commentators was that one of the things they wished would be changed is that the rule about touched stones wasn't left up to the skips to decide, but was a hard rule enforced by the judges.

They don't even have judges except the one that comes and measures and the one that repairs the rocks if need be. Curling is one of those sports where people are expected to be reasonably sporting and not take advantage of things and to work these things out. So technically having the choice as to what to do still means you are expected to do the right thing rather than the expedient thing.

They don't even have judges except the one that comes and measures and the one that repairs the rocks if need be. Curling is one of those sports where people are expected to be reasonably sporting and not take advantage of things and to work these things out. So technically having the choice as to what to do still means you are expected to do the right thing rather than the expedient thing.

They do more than that. During the Scotties, a judge came out to tell Shannon Birchard that her broom was scratching the ice when she was throwing, and that she needed to do something about it (she taped the end). And they were talking about when people use the corn brooms (a couple professional curlers still use them apparently), needing to make sure they are taped up right so they don't drop bits on the ice. I know we joke about how laid back curling is, but there are still things that get enforced by a judge.

All I want to do is watch the mens figure skating finals and all the yackity yack and switching back and forth between events and commentators is annoying the bejesus out of me.

All I want to do is watch the mens figure skating finals and all the yackity yack and switching back and forth between events and commentators is annoying the bejesus out of me.
:mad: So annoying - I agree. We DVR everything so we can get on with it. Just starting to watch the men's long skates, which we taped a couple of hours ago.

They do more than that. During the Scotties, a judge came out to tell Shannon Birchard that her broom was scratching the ice when she was throwing, and that she needed to do something about it (she taped the end). And they were talking about when people use the corn brooms (a couple professional curlers still use them apparently), needing to make sure they are taped up right so they don't drop bits on the ice. I know we joke about how laid back curling is, but there are still things that get enforced by a judge.

I was talking about the game itself not the equipment. Of course illegal equipment will be handled.

:mad: So annoying - I agree. We DVR everything so we can get on with it. Just starting to watch the men's long skates, which we taped a couple of hours ago.

I find I have better luck just streaming whichever events I want to watch on NBC's website. If I try to watch the coverage on NBC Sports then watch prime time coverage I start out with an hour of Scott Hamilton on the mini plastic rink demonstrating things I still can't understand before they get into rehashing events I've already seen with different commentators. I think they are running into a situation where they just have too much coverage.

I find I have better luck just streaming whichever events I want to watch on NBC's website. If I try to watch the coverage on NBC Sports then watch prime time coverage I start out with an hour of Scott Hamilton on the mini plastic rink demonstrating things I still can't understand before they get into rehashing events I've already seen with different commentators. I think they are running into a situation where they just have too much coverage.
CBC is running it 19 hours a day; about 12 of which is live. There are actually way more events and venues than can effectively be covered so alternate feeds are also being broadcast on TSN and SportsNet - our two all-sports format networks. Their coverage is actually easier to watch because it's mostly an entire single event like a whole hockey game for example. I'm watching the men's skating after having recorded it on TSN and they are showing all 26 skaters without skipping back and forth to other events or venues.

CBC is running it 19 hours a day; about 12 of which is live. There are actually way more events and venues than can effectively be covered so alternate feeds are also being broadcast on TSN and SportsNet - our two all-sports format networks. Their coverage is actually easier to watch because it's mostly an entire single event like a whole hockey game for example. I'm watching the men's skating after having recorded it on TSN and they are showing all 26 skaters without skipping back and forth to other events or venues.

That sounds glorious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter