WISH midship detective agency-type activity?

Burgermom

Mouseketeer
Is there an activity similar to the midship detective agency on the Wish? My son loved that game on the dream and wondering if there is something similar on the Wish and if it’s any good. TIA

Yes Uncharted adventure, you need a tablet or phone to do it. We tried to do it on our dec cruise and it appears it will be super fun but it was super glitchy so we didn't do that much hopefully it gets better in time.

We tried it on our January cruise and it was not much fun, the controls were terrible and it was buggy so we gave up about three mini-games in. Basically you go to wherever it tells you on the map, and unlike Midship Detective, you can't pick between several, so if it sends you to the completely opposite end of the ship, well, hope your legs are fresh! When you get there, you can activate the artwork and play a buggy mini game that is pointless. For one we had to tilt the phone to awkwardly guide a character (Moana maybe? It wasn't exactly memorable) in a boat down some rapids avoiding about 8,000 logs in your way. I was constantly bashing the poor boat into nearly every log because even though I was tilting my phone, it just wasn't responding on screen until like a half a second later, which doesn't sound like much, but let me tell you it was half a second too long. We went to the next artwork (yes, on the complete opposite side of the ship) and played some other mini game I can't remember now that was pointless. Then we got the third artwork and the game crashed. We tried relaunching it, but it wouldn't work and the artwork was just stuck and my phone was just stuck. Then some people came up behind us who had also been sent to that artwork, but it was telling them it was in use so they couldn't progress in the game. We gave up and left. I don't know what happened with those people behind us. It needs works even then, the little games were sort of silly. I would have rather solved a mystery like Midship Detective. There didn't seem to be a point except to play games on your phone. I can do that at home and the games are better.

Wanted to do it in January but it never actually loaded had fun watching others though

We tried it on our January cruise and it was not much fun, the controls were terrible and it was buggy so we gave up about three mini-games in. Basically you go to wherever it tells you on the map, and unlike Midship Detective, you can't pick between several, so if it sends you to the completely opposite end of the ship, well, hope your legs are fresh! When you get there, you can activate the artwork and play a buggy mini game that is pointless. For one we had to tilt the phone to awkwardly guide a character (Moana maybe? It wasn't exactly memorable) in a boat down some rapids avoiding about 8,000 logs in your way. I was constantly bashing the poor boat into nearly every log because even though I was tilting my phone, it just wasn't responding on screen until like a half a second later, which doesn't sound like much, but let me tell you it was half a second too long. We went to the next artwork (yes, on the complete opposite side of the ship) and played some other mini game I can't remember now that was pointless. Then we got the third artwork and the game crashed. We tried relaunching it, but it wouldn't work and the artwork was just stuck and my phone was just stuck. Then some people came up behind us who had also been sent to that artwork, but it was telling them it was in use so they couldn't progress in the game. We gave up and left. I don't know what happened with those people behind us. It needs works even then, the little games were sort of silly. I would have rather solved a mystery like Midship Detective. There didn't seem to be a point except to play games on your phone. I can do that at home and the games are better.
Don’t leave us hanging. Did you enjoy it, or not?

Yet another reason I’m staying away from the Wish …

But look, we brought in an entire new team of people who have never worked on a cruise ship!!

Sigh…

We played it (four of us) for about an hour but it was very glitchy. We also had to go to GS to find someone who could even get it to work for us. At first, it would only recognized two out of the four of us (you can play as a team) and then we managed to get it to recognize everyone but then it got stuck for two of us (not the same two as previous!). We finally were able to play it but the instructions are relatively minimal when you get to the place you're supposed to do something so sometimes the mini game was nearly finished before we figured out what we were doing. Several times we had to exit and restart the game because it would drop someone.

We didn't mind having to run all over the ship - that's part of the game IMO. Gets you to see a lot of different things and gets you some exercise (to work off calories so you can justify yet another trip to the softserve ice cream station). But after it kicked at least one person off for about the fifth time - and some of us had problems making it work at a mini game - we gave up. If they can fix the bugs it can be fun but it needs more instruction and some improvements.

We didn't mind having to run all over the ship - that's part of the game IMO
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting people to be physically active (it's my job, literally, I'm a personal trainer and group fitness instructor), however, it's really inefficient, and especially if you're already a "take the stairs" person. And for times when taking the stairs would be 10 flights or something, having to get back into those elevators wasn't exactly my idea of a great time.
Don’t leave us hanging. Did you enjoy it, or not?
Well, I considered telling you all how I really feel but decided to leave you hanging.

Thanks everyone, it’s such a shame that it wasn’t better designed. The midship detective agency was such a highlight of our cruise on the Dream :( I wish they had just done that again with different mysteries. Oh well…

My 17 year old loved it. We were concentrating so hard on one of the games, that Pluto scared us! We are still laughing about it. It was a little buggy but we powered through and really enjoyed the time together.

Last edited:
My sister and I played it in January and loved it - we would complete the next step of the quest whenever we were in between activities. I enjoyed it more than the mid-ship detectives because you didn't have to carry around a map and a paper card. You also earn points during the mini-games and unlock various accessories for your character. I will agree that it was buggy and there were a few games that we couldn't play because of lag and issues with the sync, but aside from that, we really enjoyed it.

There is also a grand finale event (no spoilers) but it was fun doing a large group activity with other people that were also excited by this new feature on the Wish.

We tried it on our February trip. Finished one adventure then it got buggy. Mammoth Club has a video out about The Wish and in their Day 2 video they talk a little about the game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter