Would you move to central FL and sell your DVC if you could?

I figured that, Sheryl!

We'll stay in the northeast, too, and have plenty of money to visit our beloved WDW. But we can't buy warmth!! LOL Hey, it's June 2nd and it's kind of cool today!! Oh well, less than 4 months till our next trip!!!

I may be able to get transferred there and was wondering if the cost of living is really that different.

DH & I have done LOTS of research about this. It depends on where you live. If you are near Orlando you do absorb some of the "tourist" prices. But just 50 minutes away and just about everything is cheaper, than Northern New Jersey, that is!!

I'd suggest you go and look. Really look around! Go in August, 'cause it doesn't get much hotter than that!! Look at houses and prices, ask questions at a realtor. There's no state income tax. Property taxes are MUCH lower (again we are comparing it to NJ). Food, dining out, gas...All about the same. Housing is MUCH, MUCH lower. (This was in the Melbourne, Malabar area).

Do your homework and you will have less of a chance of being surprised, or disappointed.

Deemarch said:
There's no state income tax. Property taxes are MUCH lower (again we are comparing it to NJ).

Our family has property and businesses in both NY and (SE) FL. My parents travel and live in both states.

DH has been bugging me since we got married over 8 years ago to make the move to FL. Eventually, we do want to move down to FL permanently.

We have discussed this with our accountant about our situation. While FL has no income tax, I believe it has a personal intangible tax where your assets will get taxed a small %age EACH year even if you have no income.

In SOME cases, the lack of income tax may be a great benefit for FL residency. In OTHER cases, it may be beneficial to maintain residences in 2 states with the primary in the non-FL state. It all depends on the individual situations I guess.

If/When we make a more permanent move to FL, it will more than likely be to a coastal area and no way will I give up the DVC!

Nope. I like Disney. I hate Florida.

(Although if it were the right job. I'd move for the job).

Yes they do have $100,000 salaries, but mostly if you're an Engineer. And even then, you could probably make more money up North.

But then again, I've seen very few brand new 2000 square foot houses for the low $200's up North recently. In fact we just sold a fixer upper up North for twice that and we are GLAD to be rid of it and the endless projects it presented.

Gas is similar, clothing and food seem to be a little less. There's no income tax, but there is a sales tax that runs about 6%.

Our property taxes are lower, but our homeowners insurance is higher, however both of them together still amount to about $1000 less each year than our previous property taxes alone.

anniet said:
athenna Tim Wakefield lives in Melbourne (next town over) during the off season--see you could move here AND still be near your beloved sox!!!!

And you would NOT believe how many Red Sox and Patriots fans there are here!!! You'd feel quite at home!!!!

This is quite true! Tim does live in Melbourne! He hasn't been pitching very well lately, but he sure looks good in his uniform. He is hot :sunny:

And they do have the baseball packages where you can still see all the teams play no matter where you are.
Hmmm, rethinking my decision :rotfl: :rotfl:

We are planning to move to Florida and hope to get jobs at WDW, but will not sell our points. We own at VB so we will save the points for beach vacations!

Not Florida, but the Hilton Head area! DH and I just bought a lot!! :sunny: We probably won't build for a few years, though. We will be selling some of our HH points, but not the ones at WDW!

No. I could not live in Florida with the heat and humidity. I would rather stay in Chicago or move to Phoenix (heat but not nearly as much humidity) and pay to fly to Orlando than live there. My DM and her husband live in FL now and it's great to visit when it's cold here, but wouldn't want to live there.

We looked into it. The salary from Disney was lower than my husbands but other costs seem to be lower too, housing, taxes. Monster Jobs has a calculator. You put in your current salary and the city and state you live in and where you want to relocate and it tells you a salary that woud be equal to the one you have now. (make sense?) We could live on 1/3 less income there than here. I don't know how accurate that is. :confused3

We intend to be snowbirds from Cape May NJ (2-3 months NJ, 9-10 months in FL) to probably the Orlando or Cocoa Beach area once DH retires. DSis shares our NJ home and she intends to spend most of her retirement years in the Azores, so they would be happy wintering in NJ.

We wouldn't sell our points. We intend to have a smaller house in Florida, and need the villas to entertain our family and friends!

Bobbi :flower:

We will be moving to Central Florida very soon! ( see Ticker)We plan to keep our DVC points even though we are right outside the parks....plan to use them at Vero, Cruise, DL...just to name a few :p :p

:flower: We could not move to FL, too much humidity & heat. We do love New Hampshire's green & rolling hills, history, outdoors, summer & winter. Fl very nice for a month or so in winter. Our property taxes are high, but no income or sales taxes. We like living in 'the sticks'--no traffic, no lines. Yes, shoveling's a witch & the overcast days a bother but fall is sweet & outstanding, the craftspeople wonderful, the woods full of animals stunning--
Jean

I am in that situation and we have discussed moving to Florida. But not so much to be close to WDW. We have medical reasons to make that move and very well may in the next 5 - 10 years, probably to the Palm Bay area. We would probably retain our DVC memberships for some period after moving so we could see how our travel habits changed.

I would not move to Florida, because I figure that living along the coast is very expensive, and that's where I want to live. Right now I live along Lake Michigan, and I can't imagine giving up my walk along the lakeshore every morning(except in the winter). :love:

We are looking to re-locate within the next 5 years,If we decide on Florida I would never give up my Dvc,even if we move next door..lol :rotfl2:

After this past weekend I want to climb in the car and move to Florida today!! I'm exhausted and depressed and would love to spend a day at WDW in Epcot or the MK or just hanging out somewhere at one of the resorts.

When I lived in Florida years ago I would have loved to spend lots of time at WDW. To me there was a big difference between visiting for a day and staying there.

I will certainly keep my DVC when I move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter