Would you post in True Name?

Does anonymity contribute to abusive posts?

• I would post in true name, and I think it might help improve civility.

• I would post in true name, but I don't think it'll help.

• I would NOT post in true name, but I think it might help improve civility.

• I would NOT post in true name, and I don't think it will help.

• I have another perspective, and it's in my post to this thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would post in my real name but I doubt it would help. People feel protected by the screen in front of them. And anyway, there are plenty of people who can track people down IRL just by their usernames on message boards so it's not like you are really protected by your screen name.

I wouldn't post in my true name, as I don't see the point. It is not like you will all go "'Aha! I know her!"

I do use my real name with some people in PMs.

I would post with my real name if it was required, but I don't think it is necessary.
I maybe have a different take on things. I think the problem, if there is one, with the abusive posts is that they are not caused by the person making the remarks that seem rude or disrespectful. The problems start when there are posts made that are exagerated or are made my people that are overly sensitive. Sometimes I believe the remarks or stories are made up just to get attention or some response. Maybe using your real name would stop some of these posts that seem to start the arguments.

I would never post my real unless I could hide my location. There are too many wackos out there.

I doubt that it would help anyway. People would still be behind their PC's and that in itself causes some to feel superior.

*** Funny how people are saying they would post there name, but no one's introduced themselves yet ***

What they really saying is... "I would post my real name - if you did first, and then only maybe - But what would that prove...Ahhhh, forget it... just call me Tinkin'MouseFan86!"

Many of us here actually have our real names listed in our profiles or even in our signatures, but the simple truth is, people who wish to be rude, mean or cause ******* will find a way. Using real names would not deter those folks; it's not like those DIS offenses would have any ramifications for them in their real lives. We cant take them to civil court because they offended us on an internet forum.....even with real names these people would continue because there are no real consequences.

:thumbsup2

I appreciate not having to use my real name; like Chesire Figment, I use this same screen name in several places. Several members of this board and most of another know my real name.

I do behave myself, but I'll stick with my screen name to be safe because not everyone does.

Regardless of true name or not I dont think it would help. Personally I would not because if I was going to post under my real name I would have used that instead of Doc CW. :thumbsup2

Effecively I have posted with my real name. Sometimes I will use my first name at the end of a comment, especially if I had by CPA designation at the end because of teh question I am answering. Any my last name can be figured out by reading the obituary I wrote for my wife.

I have posted it many times in PM's, etc...

I would not on the regular forums, not because I want to hide behind my anonymity, but because I am listed in the phone book, and I don't need DISer's with a chip on there shoulder to call me.

My name is BRIAN, and I am a DISer!

Ditto. Oh, except my name is not Brian

Jeanie is my real name.

My last trip to the world (and this upcoming one) I will have a scooter decorated as the Tinkmobile with a sign on it that says "do you Dis?"

Last trip I met lots of wonderful people in person from the Disboards.
I hope that the same thing happens on my next trip!

That being said, it doesn't change the way that I post. But, I do try to be nice in person or online.

jeanie

I would never post my full name in a public forum. However, I do agree that if people were held accountable for what they say by usual social regulations, the boards would be a little different.

There are several people I know in real life on these boards, and I'd never say or do anything on here I'd be ashamed for them to know about.

When visiting the boards, I also keep in mind that there are people in the world who I don't like personally, so why should I like everyone or what they say on the internet? If someone gets under my skin, I try to walk (or click!) away and let them figure out how they sleep at night.

My true name is available in my signature and my full name is available in my email address.

I would, and do, post under it, and it has no bearing on what I say or how I say it. My opinion is my opinion whether it is stated by Megan or by TinkerBelle_325.

I don't think that the use of "true names" would change any of the threads that get out of hand. :confused3

I have no problem posting under my real name (its in my siggie), but I don't think it would change anything if it was required. People could still use a fake name.

I wouldn't post in true name. I was a member of a smaller group a long time ago in which a person got a little crazy. Through my posts, she knew enough about me that she could have found me, if she had wanted to and I honestly wouldn't have put it past her to do so!

This forum is MUCH bigger but that just means the potential for crazies is bigger too.

I also don't think it it would help. True name or not, it's not "real life".

Never in a million years would I post under my name. Not because of what I post, but because I have a very unique name and don't want people to find me!;)

I have and I do. Post with my real name that is.
It was one of those days when I'd had to come up with user names, passwords, etc. about 4 times and when I got to the DIS I had decided I was tired of the process.
I use my name for that reason. Just never bothered changing it.
:-)

cassie is my real name and the z is the 1st letter of my last name. 76 is the year i was born.

i don't know how much of a difference it will make though with real names. people will still make things up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter