Would you post in True Name?

Does anonymity contribute to abusive posts?

• I would post in true name, and I think it might help improve civility.

• I would post in true name, but I don't think it'll help.

• I would NOT post in true name, but I think it might help improve civility.

• I would NOT post in true name, and I don't think it will help.

• I have another perspective, and it's in my post to this thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.
.....how most people are primarily concerned with the possibility of someone coming to "get" them if their name is posted here. I know there are some crazies running around in our world, but the idea of someone hunting me down from the DIS is the least of my worries......I think most people here on the DIS are good folks with nothing but good intentions. :hug: If someone was psychotic enough to hunt you down, your screen name would be enough to dig up the info everyone seems to be so very worried about. Good internet psychos are also usually persistent and computer savvy!!

:thumbsup2

I've used the name "summerlady" for many, many years...going back to the years that I used to post on usenet. Now, that's where you never want anyone to know your real name or where you live, talk about crazies! I doubt it'd make a difference in civility it everyone used their real name here, by the way, I'm Vickie. But no last name. ;)

Check out my username. I have no problem posting with my true name. ;)

And no, I don't think the two are related. True name or not, there's still a level of anonymity.

I try not to put things out there that offend anyone,I have used my name I and dont really feel any threat from It. I guess my oppion would change If somebody did get abusive.But i hope not:goodvibes

We'll golly I never gave it a second thought. My Dis-boards name is my real name, but I'm not really concerned because I'm an original Disney-Pixar character and I'm beloved by all....like Oprah. :laughing:

Seriously though, the reason my post count is so low is because I used to have my last name as my Dis handle. I changed it for all the reasons other posters have mentioned. I like being anonymous.

Honestly I don't think posting by your name would help much. I don't think rudeness comes from someone using/not using their name, but rather that everything is faceless. It's more tempting and much easier to react to a computer screen than it is a real person in real life.

First name, sure. Last name, not on your life. It's not common, and I'm not intentionally providing identifying information on a public forum.

I have posted it many times in PM's, etc...

I would not on the regular forums, not because I want to hide behind my anonymity, but because I am listed in the phone book, and I don't need DISer's with a chip on there shoulder to call me.

My name is BRIAN, and I am a DISer!

I voted that'd I use my real name, though I doubt it would help much.

My name is Ashley Simmons (okay, I lied a little bit; last name is same pronunciation but different spelling), and I'm a Diser!

The anonymous nature of the internet really encourages people to behave in ways that they wouldn't necessarily behave in a face to face situation. I don't really think that posting in real names would change things much.

FWIW, I do post with my real name, albeit not my entire name, but my name none the less.

I would never post in my real name. It is not safe. Second I know of some people on this board who are a few crayons short of a full box and I don't intend on doing tea with them.;)

Some people are inherently rude with an arrogant chip on their shoulder who needs to always be right.....ya you know who you are lol. Posting your name might cool the jets of a few but their is always a few bad apples.

I am not going to announce my vacation dates and REAL NAME on a website.

Hello, my house will be empty in early December. Have at, thieves!

Meg :)

Good thoughts, all. Thanks for chiming in.

Disclaimer -- yes, that's my real first name, and first initial of my last name.

I don't post my location, but I've had people I know come up to me and ask, "hey, was that you on such-and-such a board posting about your coaster experience?"

I guess it's all about how comfortable you are using your real name in a relatively large group like this one, or some other boards (like the one that has posts from a theme park insider) that require your real name. And yes, I post there in my real, full name. After all, how controversial can a theme park BE?

I would post with my real name. I come in contact with tons of peole on a regular basis in person and I am not afraid of them so why be afraid of people that live far away in other states? What are peole going to *do* with my name that I am concerned about?
I use the same username everywhere - on various forums, on ebay etc. I am sure with doing a little research people could find out basic info. So I don't feel anonymous.
I *do* say what i think and really I think it's near impossible to never offend anyone - but I don't think i am overly hostile or aggressive and I try to never be mean spirited.
I chose number 2 as an option. I think people need very little distance to feel empowered to be rude. I see it every time I get in my car.

I would, but I don't think it would change a thing. I've had too many bosses/coworkers in the next darn cube over being sticky sweet to your face, and then be a complete jerk in an email not even ten minutes later ...and THEN be sticky sweet to your face again not long after the nasty email.

I post ,my firts name..not a problem. But if you were to post first and last name I think it would be a bad idea because then people could look you up andknow that you are on vacation during certain times and target you for robberies.
Every online community out there has skirmishes. Some people just don't know how to treat people period. reading some of the horror stories and stuff on here makes it obvious that it isn't limited just to internet interactions.

I'm Dietrich Sauer, and no, the fact that I posted my real name won't change me or anyone else.

A CM using his/her real name could get fired
. . . if the remark was critical of WDW
. . . if the company decided you released insider info

Spam was reported.

It was removed by moderator.

Thanks!

ooops nevermind, someone already posted that people don't want to advertise they are out of town.

I also don't think it would help, because civility means different things to different people. Some people get bent out of shape simply because you are arguing with them or disagreeing. This happens often when someone puts up a post asking for advice or they are posting a review of something. If you are going to post on a public message board, people will disagree with you at times an IMHO, you have to be adult enough to not mistake debate for aggressiveness.

I belong to other boards and some are better than here, some are far, far worse. At the end of the day, I feel that you shouldn't be posting on forums if you can't handle someone not agreeing with you. That's life.

My name is Stephanie and I'm a DISer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter