Would you post in True Name?

Does anonymity contribute to abusive posts?

• I would post in true name, and I think it might help improve civility.

• I would post in true name, but I don't think it'll help.

• I would NOT post in true name, but I think it might help improve civility.

• I would NOT post in true name, and I don't think it will help.

• I have another perspective, and it's in my post to this thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

larryz

Rogue Five
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Several threads on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum have gotten pretty out-of-hand recently, and I'm wondering if it isn't the anonymity allowed by the posting names that's contributing to peoples' propensities to engage in aggressive, demeaning behavior. The question is two-fold: Would you post on these boards in your real name, and do you think it will reduce some of the aggressive, abusive posts?

Several threads on this board -- Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies -- have gotten pretty out-of-hand recently, and I'm wondering if it isn't the anonymity allowed by the posting names that's contributing to peoples' propensities to engage in aggressive, demeaning behavior. The question is two-fold: Would you post on these boards in your real name, and do you think it will reduce some of the aggressive, abusive posts?

I have posted it many times in PM's, etc...

I would not on the regular forums, not because I want to hide behind my anonymity, but because I am listed in the phone book, and I don't need DISer's with a chip on there shoulder to call me.

My name is BRIAN, and I am a DISer!

yes it would but I don't think it's needed.

People do and say things on the internet they wouldn't do face to face because the annominity makes it easier.
Doesn't mean it's right.
Overall I think 99% of posters here are pretty civil.

If I posted in MY real name I would be fine with that. I would rather not, but if that were required, I wouldn't have a problem with it, just don't ask for my SS, Bank Number or Address/Phone!
I don't think it really makes a difference anyway, because you are ONLINE and face to face is different. Texting too. Even telephone calls!
People ould still come on under a pretend 'real name'.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using my real name for a number of reasons.

There wouldn't be anything to stop people using made up names unless there was some sort of identity verification system put into place which would probably turn a lot of people off the site, be expensive to implement and not to mention just like ebay and paypal people would still find ways around using their real name so in the end your only inconveniencing the good users.

I am also a cast member and enjoy being somewhat anonymous for that very reason. While I am sure Disney could probably find out my true Identity if I posted something so egregious it would warrant the time and effort of finding me I also like the protection of not having so called trouble makers being able to just randomly shoot a letter of to Disney referencing my real name.

I would not post simply because in this day and age, I don't trust putting my info out there.
I fret enough over the fact that I have revealed too much in my pics and profile as it is! :sick:

I chose #2. Personally I would post my true name, but I don't think it will help improve civility. As others have already pointed out many people would register under their 'real names,' unless the community board had some sort of identity verification system (like Paypal).

*** Funny how people are saying they would post there name, but no one's introduced themselves yet ***

What they really saying is... "I would post my real name - if you did first, and then only maybe - But what would that prove...Ahhhh, forget it... just call me Tinkin'MouseFan86!"

Of course I have been on DisBoards long enough that I am well known by my screen name. Actually I use the same name on all boards that I am on (except eBay) . And I have met lots of people in the Parks so it really makes no difference to me.

I'd post in my true name. I don't say anything under my board name that I wouldn't say in my own name, or face-to-face either.

I probably wouldn't post in true name but not because of what I say. I don't say anything that I wouldn't face to face. However, I don't want people looking me up. Don't know who's on this board.

You're just asking for problems if you posted using your real name..............there are some crazy people out there. That being said, I think it would help. Anonymity for some people is an excuse to be rude without personal repercussions.

I'd post in my true name. I don't say anything under my board name that I wouldn't say in my own name, or face-to-face either.

Good points, all -- I like the paypal verification idea, but I'm sure they'd want money for that...

I wonder if this board could go subscription, like some of the commercial WDW statistical analysis sites? Maybe another poll, like "How much would you pay for access to the DISBoards..."?

Most people on these boards know my real name. I'm not sure posting under real names would help. It is still just a name. People will always feel they can say more on a message board than they would say to someone face to face. There is no real connection between people here for the most part.

I wouldn't use my real name because you never know who is lurking and they don't need to know when I will be away from my home. Unfortunately impoliteness is a reflection of some peoples personalities and it will occur no matter what name is used especially as the economic times get tougher.

I wouldn't. Not because of anything I might post but because it's just too easy to get info on people. Also I remember reading on the boards just a few months ago about a poster who used his real name as his Dis name. He/she couldn't post much about an upcoming trip. I wouldn't want my name out there with a countdown timer telling everyone that I was going to WDW in x number of days for x number of days.

I can tell you in absolute certainty - it would not help. We recently had an incident occur in our sweet, small community. I was stuck in the middle of the situation and hardly anyone cared how nasty they were to me in email or on facebook, even though I knew exactly who they were and most were "friends". Not a single one of them commented to me face-to-face when we I finally got the courage to go back into town and saw them. What really amazed me was how they all expected me to be friendly with them after the incident had past - and trust me, I was called some of the most horrific things and simply because I was an easy target.

The reason I wouldn't want to post my name is because my family already thinks I'm insane and would tease me mercilessly if they happened to come across these boards. :music:

I don't use my real name either, but have a few times in PM's when I have been in swaps.

I don't think I would pay anything for a verification process either. If the DISboards started charging a fee I am not sure I would come here anymore.

What I love about these boards are you get unbiased opinions good or bad and when someone starts posting things that are nasty I just move on to the next thread.

Why would the DIS boards start charging you?

They are backed by a travel company... they are selling vacations!

They have 250,000 people visiting there website to get inforamtion about there primary source of income.

The more you know, the more successful they will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter