Would You Stay at Grand Floridian? Beach Avoidable? No Parent Bashing Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@boltjames

I already addressed your assumptions about lava/Hawaii in the other thread where you are posting. I am also from the north. I was aware of alligator dangers in Florida. I do understand how avalanches are handled and avoided. I also know what the warning signs for a tornado are and what to do if a tornado is headed toward me. My knowledge is not superficial.

I suppose you think NYC is safe from tornadoes because you aren't in tornado alley. You would be wrong. You live in one of the most dangerous cities in the world, yet you are hear lambasting Disney. Maybe you should think about all the things NYC keeps from you to avoid public panic.

I am not sure what your point is and why you keep posting the same fears over and over again. Life is unpredictable. A horrible tragedy occurred. Disney is taking steps to make sure that it doesn't happen again. You don't even know if the parents knew there was a risk for alligators. I know. Why would you assume they didn't know; that is just as arrogant as assuming they should know. It was a low risk and maybe they didn't think it would happen to them. I can't blame them. Millions have done the same thing they did without any issues.

We have traveled for over twenty years to a lot of unique spots. I spend a lot of time researching the area before we go because I believe being educated on the dangers will in turn help to keep u safe. If u ever go to Florida again stop at the welcome centers where u can read several warnings about the dangers in bodies of water.

....and I do the same thing for my family. Tokyo, Iceland, Turks & Caicos, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Kennebunkport, pick a location of our recent vacations, I'll tell you the hazards. I'm a very prepared dad.

Thing is, we've all been to Disney multiple times since we were children ourselves and we never saw an alligator warning sign, ever. There was no reason to do any preparation, it's not like we were planning a trip to the Everglades or Mount Washington. It's Walt Disney World. There's nothing here that can possibly hurt us outside of the obvious drowning threat in the pools or lightning threat in a parking lot, no different than back home. Because Disney never told us we were sleeping in an alligator infestation they cannot control. Because they didn't want anyone to know about it.

While watching the movie, not once, did Disney invite me or my children to frolic in the lake. I'm sorry but I saw the no swimming signs and knew of the dangers. We were honest with our kids and told them the water was not safe, not only because of alligators but the bacteria. With this I respectly back down and wish you luck in finding a 100% guaranteed safe place to vacation.

The child was not "frolicking in the lake". He was not "night swimming". He was right at the water line kicking sand castles that his sister made, and an alligator who was stalking him lept out of the water and pulled him under in a flash.

So, you think Disney did the right thing by not informing guests about alligators they knew were on the property and inviting children to frolic in the very places and times that were the most dangerous?

Simple question. Answer it.

Okay so my husband and I are planning our daughters birthday for next year, Grand Floridian was our choice because of the Alice & Wonderland themes (shes a huge fan!) With recent events I am now hesitant, I know tragedies happen and this was most likely a freak accident, we have another daughter who will be 2 when we go next year so of course its really hitting home. How close is the beach/lagoon area to the pools? Is the beach lagoon area something that we can avoid all together or is it something you have to walk by? Please no parent bashing or hateful comments, I am just a concerned mom who has never stayed in this resort knows nothing of the layout and wants to make a good decision for my family =) Thanks! Also any other resort that has Alice in Wonderland Motifs is appreciated! You just can't beat that awesome looking splash pad tho!

*Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to upload me pictures and get me detailed maps better than Dinsey itself had available, my questions have been answered! Even though I have asked repetitively not to discuss parenting views and the actual victims we still seem to be veering a smidge off course so I will no longer be replying but thank you once again to everyone for their kind words and helping a mama out pixiedust:
We are going this year with an almost 2 year old, 7, 9 & 11 yr old. We are still going and will just avoid the beaches. We saw an alligator at MK last year. We aren't really into the movies at night. Haven't done them on any of our trips. Terrible, tragic accident and my heart goes out to that poor family. They are in my thoughts and prayers. Just cannot imagine the anguish and pain they are enduring.

I am not sure what your point is and why you keep posting the same fears over and over again. Life is unpredictable. A horrible tragedy occurred. Disney is taking steps to make sure that it doesn't happen again. You don't even know if the parents knew there was a risk for alligators. I know. Why would you assume they didn't know; that is just as arrogant as assuming they should know. It was a low risk and maybe they didn't think it would happen to them. I can't blame them. Millions have done the same thing they did without any issues.

Disney's actions today speak louder than any forum post and answer all of your queries above.

They're not treating this like some random lightning strike. They are re-engineering the resorts at record pace. They are putting up scary signs. The have closed the beaches. That tells you what these poor people from Nebraska knew about an alligator threat at a luxury hotel. No different than me. They had no idea.

The child was not "frolicking in the lake". He was not "night swimming". He was right at the water line kicking sand castles that his sister made, and an alligator who was stalking him lept out of the water and pulled him under in a flash.

So, you think Disney did the right thing by not informing guests about alligators they knew were on the property and inviting children to frolic in the very places and times that were the most dangerous?

Simple question. Answer it.
I will say that on my first visit to WDW I did not realize the abundance of wildlife (snakes/lizards/gators) it was a learning curve. Never really seen them outside of the zoo. They don't walk around the Midwest. I think they should have had signs and warnings and maybe not been doing beach activities at night. Possibly a fence, although not sure that would have kept the gators in the lagoon.

Disney's actions today speak louder than any forum post and answer all of your queries above.

They're not treating this like some random lightning strike. They are re-engineering the resorts at record pace. They are putting up scary signs. The have closed the beaches. That tells you what these poor people from Nebraska knew about an alligator threat at a luxury hotel. No different than me. They had no idea.
Very glad to see all the changes. Terrible it took this to get them started.

....and I do the same thing for my family. Tokyo, Iceland, Turks & Caicos, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Kennebunkport, pick a location of our recent vacations, I'll tell you the hazards. I'm a very prepared dad.

Thing is, we've all been to Disney multiple times since we were children ourselves and we never saw an alligator warning sign, ever. There was no reason to do any preparation, it's not like we were planning a trip to the Everglades or Mount Washington. It's Walt Disney World. There's nothing here that can possibly hurt us outside of the obvious drowning threat in the pools or lightning threat in a parking lot, no different than back home. Because Disney never told us we were sleeping in an alligator infestation they cannot control. Because they didn't want anyone to know about it.

You assumed there was no danger because you have been going there since you were a child. You assumed your parents knew it was safe. Since your parents didn't tell you it wasn't safe, you didn't bother to do any research.

Disney became aware of the ignorance of their guests. They responded in a responsible way based on media information that was out there. It is likely more to make their guests feel safe and to prevent a misunderstanding about signage. It doesn't tell you anything about what the Nebraska family knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter