Canon 400D (Rebel Xti, Kiss X)

Hi everybody! I absolutely love this board, and I have taken sooo many notes...LOL!
I got this awesome camera...and I absolutely LOVE it, but have no clue what to do with it other than the standard settings that it came set on. We are making a trip in 2 weeks, and DH bought me a new 28-135 IS lens today, and I'm sure it can do amazing things, but I'm clueless. I've been reading posts and taking notes, and I found that to take fireworks pictures I need to have the ISO set low, and I see the ISO button on the camera, but can't figure out how to change it. (Note: Users manual got highly decorated by DD3 and a replacement in ordered, but it won't be here in time to prepare for my trip) Is is reasonable to switch ISO settings back and forth or should I stick with a specific setting? also, the f/4.5...no clue what thats about. In my handy dandy tip notebook that I've started, it says to take night pictures, I should be at 1/8s f/4.5 ISO 1000...can some very patient person help me to understand my camera? I know this is asking alot, but I've tried doing the research online and it is written far above my level of understanding.

Thanks!!!!

If you are not sure what you are doing can not practice what you are learning, I think you should shoot in P mode. This will select the apperture and shutterspeed, but will allow you to select the ISO. It also will not force you to use the flash with Auto will if it is too dark (fireworks etc).

Nothing will be worse than coming home with less than 10% of your shots worth keeping because you were not comfortable with the camera and the settings under or overexposed your shots.

The quickest way to do it without many hours of post processing is to use the pictures styles which are accessed via the second menu option.

You can use the defaults or you can adjust them based on what you want. Each default will provide a little more pop depending on what you are shooting.

I love my Canon, but would love another lens for it. I have the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera, but for some events it is not a long enough zoom.

I am looking online at 2 different lenses for everyday use.

Canon EF-s 55-250 f/4.5 IS and
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Would you recommend either one of those lenses? A different lens all together? and please tell me why you prefer whatever lens you recommend.

Thanks

I have an XTI, the new 18-55mm IS and the 55-250mm IS lens. If you are looking to replace your kit lens, the 55-250 is certainally not long enough. If you are happy with the kit lens and just want more reach, you can't beat the price, the image quality and the IS. It does hunt sometimes in real low light, but it compliments the range of 18-55 very well.

The quickest way to do it without many hours of post processing is to use the pictures styles which are accessed via the second menu option.

You can use the defaults or you can adjust them based on what you want. Each default will provide a little more pop depending on what you are shooting.

That would be quicker, but I personally think anyone gaining experience should consider RAW. You can set it to do exactly what you are talking about to every image and would take almost no time to apply it. Then you are left with the RAW file for later on when you learn more and want to re-process.

Also, I see that you are new as of today and hitting our board with a vengeance. Let me be the first to welcome you. You probably have already lurked around a while before joining, but let me say that this board is probably the friendliest photography board on the internet. Where else can people from every brand loyalty get along so well!

Kevin

I agree with your Raw comment, I guess I just assumed that the OP would not be shooting in Raw based on the original post. I just recently began shooting in Raw myself and can't agree more with your post about still having the original to tweak later as my PP skills increase.

I guess the best response would be to use the RAW/JPG setting, thereby providing the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the welcome; I really like combining Disney with my new favorite hobby photography.

What time of day are you shooting? Early morning and late afternoon light is the best .

Whether you're shooting RAW or Jpegs, it's better to play with contrast and saturation after you've downloaded your photos.
Can you post an example of what you're talking about?

If you are a savvy Cannon rebel xti user would you please PM me.
I have a few questions and even though I have looked on line a simple guider who wouldn't mind a few questions would really be help full.

I want to increaseup my the contrast and sharpness and saturation I just don't like how FLAT my pictures look. Steery1's pictures really got me wanting to do this and to be honest...I just don't know how or how much.

So if you could help me I would REALLY be thankful

OK...new question. I've been reading about "photo ettiquette" and have read that some cameras have a manners or museaum setting that makes no noise and no flash. Do I have this option and if I do, how do I get to it? I honestly had no idea that taking pictures inside rides was a no-no. Ignorance, I guess, but I've never even thought about it. Now I need to know how to do it without offending anyone.

OK...new question. I've been reading about "photo ettiquette" and have read that some cameras have a manners or museaum setting that makes no noise and no flash. Do I have this option and if I do, how do I get to it? I honestly had no idea that taking pictures inside rides was a no-no. Ignorance, I guess, but I've never even thought about it. Now I need to know how to do it without offending anyone.

There are multiple levels to answer this one. You can easily turn off the flash. Just get out of auto mode and you have control over it going off or not. As for the noise, you cannot get rid of that. It is the mirror moving out of the way to expose the sensor to the light coming in the lens. Sorry, but nothing can be done. I suspect that the people talking about no noise are using a p&s, because there would be no mirror. The other thing to consider is the LCD screen. If it is going to be bright and bother other people, it could be a problem. For example, if there are people in a row behind you on POTC, I suggest turning it off. Besides, you shouldn't be chimping all your shots on a ride anyway. Don't forget to enjoy your vacation in lieu of taking a bunch of pictures.

The other thing to consider for rides is that a flash is going to ruin the shot anyway. You need to take the shot with no flash, so that leaves you needing high ISO and/or a wide aperture. Because you are a Canon user, I suggest the 50mm f/1.8.

There are multiple levels to answer this one. You can easily turn off the flash. Just get out of auto mode and you have control over it going off or not. As for the noise, you cannot get rid of that. It is the mirror moving out of the way to expose the sensor to the light coming in the lens. Sorry, but nothing can be done. I suspect that the people talking about no noise are using a p&s, because there would be no mirror. The other thing to consider is the LCD screen. If it is going to be bright and bother other people, it could be a problem. For example, if there are people in a row behind you on POTC, I suggest turning it off. Besides, you shouldn't be chimping all your shots on a ride anyway. Don't forget to enjoy your vacation in lieu of taking a bunch of pictures.

The other thing to consider for rides is that a flash is going to ruin the shot anyway. You need to take the shot with no flash, so that leaves you needing high ISO and/or a wide aperture. Because you are a Canon user, I suggest the 50mm f/1.8.

Ukcatfan,

Have you used the 50mm 1.8 on the rides? If so, do you use it wide open or stop it down a bit? I have only had mine for about 2 months and sometimes struggle with the DOF when it is wide open. Also, how does the auto focus work in the darker rides? I am going at the end of November with my new gear for the first time and am anxious to try it out.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ukcatfan,

Have you used the 50mm 1.8 on the rides? If so, do you use it wide open or stop it down a bit? I have only had mine for about 2 months and sometimes struggle with the DOF when it is wide open. Also, how does the auto focus work in the darker rides? I am going at the end of November with my new gear for the first time and am anxious to try it out.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Thanks,

I actually shoot Pentax and have the 50mm f/1.4, but using it is very similar. I have gone around the gamut on settings, but now typically shoot in shutter priority to make sure I do not introduce subject motion blur from your ride vehicle constantly moving. On dark rides I go ahead and set the ISO to 1600 (or sometimes 3200, but the quality goes down). On a moderately dark ride, you might get away with 800. On Peter Pan, just sit back and enjoy the ride b/c pictures are tough with as fast as you move.

Here are a few taken with my 50mm.

IMGP3405.jpg

IMGP5279-N.jpg

IMGP5302-N.jpg

IMGP5334-N.jpg

I am looking into these cameras right now and have done hours of research, but would like some opinions for you all. If you own one of these models please feel free to let me know what you think of it!! Also, if you could maybe share with me some of the differences between the models as well.

TIA

I love my XTi. It's my first digital SLR after a few digital P&S cameras. I had bought it for the usual reasons (shutter speed, better low light performance, RAW file format) and after trying out other cameras at the local camera store.

I have been very happy with performance to date. The kit lens was not bad, but I have spent some money on lenses (75-300 mm Canon Mark III USM, 50 mm 1.8 Canon, 17-70 mm 2.8-4.5 Sigma, and 70-200mm F2.8 L USM), primarily to get faster glass for indoor kids events. I also use the battery grip all the time now.

If you haven't had a chance, handle all three cameras in a store (as I understand there are minor differences in the body designs) to see which feels best in your hands. This is important, especially if you intend to shoot in Manual or one of the "creative" modes, as you will want to be comfortable making adjustments for the exposure you want to achieve on the fly.

Ultimately, I really don't think any of those models would disappoint you. Have fun choosing!

All three are very similar. How does it feel in your hands and how much money do you want to spend? And how much will you have left over to spend on lenses?

All three are very similar. How does it feel in your hands and how much money do you want to spend? And how much will you have left over to spend on lenses?

Yes, I see that they are very similar and are within $200 price wise. I researched a good bit on digital-slr-guide.com and found the XSi to be better than the XTi because the XSi offers live view which I like, has image stabilization, 2 more megapixels, and is slightly smaller and felt good in my hands.

I started taking a photography class about a month ago and decided to buy a dSLR. I ended up spending more than I had originally planned on but do not regret it AT ALL.

I bought the Canon XSi from Best Buy for $782. That includes tax, kit lens, and the XSi kit that includes a bag, a UV filter and an extra battery that retails at $75 by itself! I didn't think it was too bad.

I love the way it feels in my hand, and the pictures it's taken are gorgeous. I just had my first portfolio critique today and my pictures were crisp and clear and gorgeous even in black and white up on a projection screen.

You know what's funny though? I bought it partly for the live view function as well but haven't used it once. It might be good in certain situations but I find the view finder to be more normal to use.

I'm not going to try to convince you to go with the XSi... but... I'd buy it if I were you :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter