2013 Point Chart Changes

Wow I just checked our THV ressie for Feb 2012 and compared it to same dates 2013 (10 nights) the difference it 72 points:scared1: Glad we are going now. We bought SSR for the sole reason of the THV and our guide kept talking up the fact the THV were a 3 bedroom unit and will only cost us the same points as a 2 bedroom unit. He played that up in a big way. For us there is very little advantage of the 3rd bedroom since the villa still only sleeps 9 and 3rd bedroom is bunk beds.

Glad I decided to buy SSR resale, and will use those points for the ressie's at 7 month bookings!

I'm glad that no changes were made to make early December a higher point stay. If it did I'd still go, but happy it did not change

I know a lot gripes about the increase.. but did you also see the decrease.

Sudios in Adv and Dream are 1 point less. 1 beds in adv, are less. (They actually increased in choice???) .. and 2 bedrooms decreased in adv.

I think the change makes sense.

And I would rather have a view I didn't pay for then a view I paid for and was disappointed with.

...I'm sure there are some valid reasons for such a change--most notably slight reductions in housekeeping and front desk charges. But I can't see those very modest savings offsetting the value in marketing the program's flexibility.

EDIT: To answer another poster's question, I believe the POS states that DVC could impose a minimum stay of no more than 5 days. But again, I can't see a justification for doing it. Just because the lawyers threw in that notation 20 years ago doesn't mean it will every be pursued.

hehehe...
I have to agree with your assessment (you are always on top of things DVC) but I couldn't help at least a little chuckle from your highlighted comment above.
It is almost uncanny how similar that insight was to the advice my CM gave me when I was buying my first contract several years ago.
[DVC Rep]..."DVC will from time to time make adjustments in the point structure to compensate for the use patterns, etc.... but historically these changes have been adjustments in the dates of seasons. Even though they can adjust the weekend/weekday points, they have not done this so far, so I don't see any reason for you to be concerned about that... weekends have always cost more than weekdays."

hehe... so much for his logic

I do agree with you tj, but it would be wise on everyone's part to recognize that even though we may not see any justification for the change, DVC has proven over the past few years that anything is possible. ;)

It looks like they essentially corrected things to where they should have been from the onset. Making the THV the same as the 2 BR was not a great choice, they should have been more from the start. Correcting some marginal views at BLT also is putting things more where they should have been. Ultimately having the THV initially rated lower, then increasing them later helped the system because it introduced a smaller number of points into SSR and DVC in general. The reverse is true at BLT.

Ultimately having the THV initially rated lower, then increasing them later helped the system because it introduced a smaller number of points into SSR and DVC in general. The reverse is true at BLT.

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making. The amount of points introduced by these accommodations to their respective condo associations has nothing to do with the number of points required to book them. The number of points introduced by these accommodations is based solely on the relative square footage of each Unit. At BLT, each two-bedroom Vacation Home is allotted 19,640 points. It doesn't matter whether the Vacation Home is classified as a Standard View, Lake View, or Theme Park View. The same is true at SSR with the THVs. Regardless of what it costs to book a THV is 2009 or 2013, each THV introduced about 15,088 points into the SSR condo association.

To DVC "Thank you for raising the cost of my beloved THV's and further enhancing the magic of Membership!" When you only have 60 of them wouldn't you expect a high demand for them?

I'm really irritated about that! Anyway, the THV's are our fav's and love to stay there. I won't stop staying there due to the increase but am really irritated right now! Wasn't that one of their selling points, you could get the Thv's FOR THE SAME PRICE AS A 2BR!?

Okay, rant done. Thanks!

I'm glad that not changes were made to make early December a higher point stay. If it did I'd still go, but happy it did not change

I was afraid that this would be the time frame that they would adjust also...and if they did, it would not alter my plans of going in December/Christmas. That is the only time that I want to visit WDW. I can see it happening someday though. But the change in points would not be too significant.

But with THV - I'm curious as to their motivations.
Were the utility costs more than anticipated?
Is the repair more costly than anticipated?
Were too many 2BR units sitting empty?
Did Grand Villas bookings go down considerably?
Was it the cost of extra busing?
Are there not enough of them to be profit neutral?

Cost issues are totally irrelevant. The Treehouses are part of the Saratoga Springs condo association and their expenses are paid out of that budget. Doesn't matter what it costs to maintain a Treehouse vs a typical Two Bedroom villa.

This is purely a supply and demand-driven change. At the same cost as a 2B, demand for the Treehouse Villas was much greater. Thus the higher price per night.

Really it's no different than resorts with different views. It shouldn't cost more to clean or maintain a Magic Kingdom View room at BLT than a Standard View room, but the MK view still costs 30-40% more points every night of the year.

The increase is quite striking and it's possible that they overcompensated. Still, with only 60 Treehouses available to 450,000 DVC members, it seems unlikely they will sit empty on a regular basis.

Every day dozens of people gladly pay that 30% premium to see Cinderella Castle outside their balcony at BLT. I'm sure there will be plenty of groups still willing to pay a 15% premium for a Treehouse Villa...particularly since there are some clear advantages to a THV over a SSR Two Bedroom.

Personally and just my opinion I think it was sales related. The lower points at the THV when they came online was a huge focus for SSR which had gotten kinda stagnant in sales. They had not build the new pool yet and needed something to draw interest.

Now that people have experienced the Tree houses the new pool is open, they can afford to up the points some and lower them in some other areas to balance it out.

FWIW, I always assumed that the reason the THVs were the same price per point as the 2BR, was because they are almost identical in square footage. Sure in the THV you have the extra bedroom but you lose the king size bed and with only 2 bathrooms unlike the newer 2BRs there is a downsize. It will definitely make me think twice about using my points for a THV stay, which to "balance demand," is what they wanted. I knew my THV party would come to an end at some point but I am sad to see it's time come.

Wow I just checked our THV ressie for Feb 2012 and compared it to same dates 2013 (10 nights) the difference it 72 points:scared1: Glad we are going now. We bought SSR for the sole reason of the THV and our guide kept talking up the fact the THV were a 3 bedroom unit and will only cost us the same points as a 2 bedroom unit. He played that up in a big way. For us there is very little advantage of the 3rd bedroom since the villa still only sleeps 9 and 3rd bedroom is bunk beds.

Glad I decided to buy SSR resale, and will use those points for the ressie's at 7 month bookings!

Same here. I got a THV at the 7 month mark for March, 2012 for 4 nights. In 2012 that will cost me 30 points less than it would have in 2013. Now I'm glad my niece requested THV for her trip! We'll see if we like them a lot but otherwise I don't know that I'd plan to use them again in the future at the new rates.

To DVC "Thank you for raising the cost of my beloved THV's and further enhancing the magic of Membership!" When you only have 60 of them wouldn't you expect a high demand for them?

I'm really irritated about that! Anyway, the THV's are our fav's and love to stay there. I won't stop staying there due to the increase but am really irritated right now! Wasn't that one of their selling points, you could get the Thv's FOR THE SAME PRICE AS A 2BR!?

Okay, rant done. Thanks!

My thoughts exactly!

There are many popular choices for DVC rooms (AKL concierge, OKW Grand Villa, BLT theme park view, BW boardwalk view, etc). Why THV? That cannot possibly be the real reason they increased the points. Bummer!:rolleyes:

I am glad I got my THV stay in this year, it was neat but not worth that many extra points.

any one figure out the exact number of units that shifted views at BLT yet.

I knew that they were going to shift points around for the Treehouses due to their popularity, but am I the only one schocked about how much they are going up! :scared1:

We are heading down this august and have two Treehouses reserved, which were going to cancel to move to the Boardwalk, since we have no car and several small children; but now I think I will keep them. Next year at the same time it will be 40 points more! :eek:

I don't ever remember such a dramatic shift before, I was quite surprised.

I am glad I got my THV stay in this year, it was neat but not worth that many extra points.

any one figure out the exact number of units that shifted views at BLT yet.
10 rooms. It was part of the email DVC sent out, yesterday...

The adjustments to the Bay Lake Tower chart stem from a scheduled reassignment of 10 rooms from Theme Park View to Standard View effective Jan. 1, 2013. This shift is based on Member and Guest feedback, and is designed to better reflect the rooms' views. At Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, the Vacation Points required for Treehouse Villas are increasing based on high Member demand.

I don't get it. If DVC resorts are designed to have a 95% occupancy rate, then why increase the required points to stay at a resort?

What is the benefit to Disney or the DVC Members?

The excuse that they increased the required points due to it's popularity seems like hog wash. Aren't all DVC resorts popular?

:earsboy: Bill

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making. The amount of points introduced by these accommodations to their respective condo associations has nothing to do with the number of points required to book them. The number of points introduced by these accommodations is based solely on the relative square footage of each Unit. At BLT, each two-bedroom Vacation Home is allotted 19,640 points. It doesn't matter whether the Vacation Home is classified as a Standard View, Lake View, or Theme Park View. The same is true at SSR with the THVs. Regardless of what it costs to book a THV is 2009 or 2013, each THV introduced about 15,088 points into the SSR condo association.
Had they been rated higher at the time of introduction (with all else the same at the time) there would have been more points introduced for the same unit types/numbers.

I don't get it. If DVC resorts are designed to have a 95% occupancy rate, then why increase the required points to stay at a resort?

What is the benefit to Disney or the DVC Members?

The excuse that they increased the required points due to it's popularity seems like hog wash. Aren't all DVC resorts popular?

:earsboy: Bill
Demand and occupancy aren't the same thing. They could have 100 occupancy save for maintenance but that doesn't mean that the demand for each time is the same. It'll never be perfect but DVC has a legal obligation to even out demand if it is too far out of balance. That's the issue I think many miss, this is not personal and there's nothing wrong with this type of adjustment. If one time or type is too popular that there are a lot of people wanting that and a lot of wait list COMPARED to others, then they have to make a change at some point. All one has to do is read this BBS to understand that the relative demand and availability of the THV compared to the 2 BR at SSR was out of balance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter