2018 Princess Half Marathon

I believe that statement from the website applies to the retreat tent on race day. You pick up your retreat bracelets at the expo and you can't get one until the expo is open. She's not going to the race retreat. I can't be the only one with kids and no other adult to watch them that has been in this situation. I'll email RD and if they say she can go in with me I will print it out and bring it with me.

I think there will be something you need to show to get in the expo or there is no point - I would just check to be sure.

Anyone can go into the expo. My kids have been to more than one with me. No one checks if you are a registered runner to go into the expo in general or the merch tent. That’s why the eBay resellers can buy up merch.

For any new runners who are concerned about the 16:00 pace and standing in lines for characters, my sister did Dopey last month. She ran the half with a friend of hers who ended up cramping really badly. They started out in corral f, ran a 17:45, and never even saw the balloon ladies. Just something to keep in mind. If you start out far enough ahead, you don't even have to maintain that 16 minute pace. Good luck everyone! See you bright in early in just under 2 weeks!

I know that you don't have to maintain the 16:00 min/mile pace, but I am glad to hear that about corral F. Were the corrals about the same size that weekend?

Anyone can go into the expo. My kids have been to more than one with me. No one checks if you are a registered runner to go into the expo in general or the merch tent. That’s why the eBay resellers can buy up merch.

Maybe the question about about early entry if you have race retreat? I'm pretty sure I read you have to show ID for that, but I don't know if they're counting kids.

I'm still sick :-( Skipped my planned 12 today. Hoping I might feel well enough to try it Wednesday, but if I can't I'll bag it and just see what happens. So frustrated and exhausted from being sick.

Now I have a couple of questions-

For the kids races, do my 6 and 4 year old need to come to the expo? I was hoping to leave them at the hotel with Dad and just pick up for all of us.

Can anyone tell me about the hills on course? Size, location, any info you might have.

If I'm not too fussed about my corral placement, meaning I don't care if I'm at the back of my corral, do I need to start walking to corrals as soon as they make the announcement? Or can I wait a bit? I'm just curious if there comes a point where you actually can't get in the corral due to crowding or something. I'm planning to be on an early bus, but from what I recall there's much more room to sit/warm up in the area by bag check etc and not so much room in the corrals so I'm not in a hurry to get there.

From what I understand, a parent or guardian can pick up race packets for minor children.

The course, for the most part, is relatively flat, with one decent sized hill as you approach the Contemporary before you hit the mile 5 point, and then another hill (on-ramp) just after mile 10. This is the one that typically kills everyone because 1) it's curved and at an angle, and 2) usually the sun has risen by this point, and you're running east, so the sun is blazing right in your face. Thankfully, the Army Man from Toy Story is usually posted up at this point and is yelling stuff like, "Keep it moving, soldier!" over his loudspeaker, so that helps. :)
I've attached the course map with stars where the hills are for reference. The other hills on the course a relatively brief, like going up a ramp to a parking lot, so those are the only two hills I can recall that I've struggled with in the past.

I can't really comment on corrals since the last time I ran PHM was in 2016, prior to when they started doing mini waves. When I did W&D in November, I was toward the middle of the front wave and it was crowded, yes, but I was still able to warm up a little prior to stepping off at the start.

Attachments

• PHM course map.jpg
    PHM course map.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 20

I was specifically wondering about early entry for people who purchased race retreat. I was hoping to get in early for the expo, check in at Beach Club, grab lunch in Epcot then laze around Stormalong Bay in the afternoon. My daughter has a soccer tournament and I have to bring her home Friday afternoon. We are both running the 5K and I’m running the 10K & half. All I want to do is grab our bibs. I’m planning on going back Saturday to shop.

For those who have run this race before - what do you carry with you when you run the race?

I have a belt that I can wear, but it only fits my phone + nothing else. I was thinking I'll be wearing a magicband, so I can get back into my room. I will have my phone and headphones. Should I bring my ID and health insurance card in case of emergency? What about a granola bar, or are there enough refreshments on course - it looks like there is plenty of water/powerade so I don't feel like I'll need that - I don't take water with me on long runs. Of my longest runs, I don't get hungry on the 8 milers, but I did get hungry on the 9 and 11 miler, but didn't get hungry on the 14 miler (but I did have a single gummy...).

For those who have run this race before - what do you carry with you when you run the race?

I have a belt that I can wear, but it only fits my phone + nothing else. I was thinking I'll be wearing a magicband, so I can get back into my room. I will have my phone and headphones. Should I bring my ID and health insurance card in case of emergency? What about a granola bar, or are there enough refreshments on course - it looks like there is plenty of water/powerade so I don't feel like I'll need that - I don't take water with me on long runs. Of my longest runs, I don't get hungry on the 8 milers, but I did get hungry on the 9 and 11 miler, but didn't get hungry on the 14 miler (but I did have a single gummy...).

I write all my info on the back of my bib and don't bring any ID. There is actually spaces on the back for all the info. Bring a sharpie to write on it. I sometimes wear my SPI belt with my fruit chews and camera. The last couple of years I just pin the packet to the inside of my compression shorts and carry nothing. If it is really hot then I will carry a hand held water bottle that can be refilled with more at water stops. But I haven't carry one of those in a couple of years.

So there are water/powerade stops...check the map and there are water fountains, usually near bathrooms, in the park. There are bathrooms on the whole course. And the First Aid stations have tissues and stuff. There is one fuel stop around mile 7 or 8 check the course map.

Phone, headphones, and cliff bloks, all of which fit into my belt. I don't bring water on races because I just take the water from the side, but for me food/energy chew things are something I don't want to risk an unknown on race day. Like, I know I like cliff bloks and they don't ruin my stomach, and I can eat them whenever I want when I carry them--I just don't want to risk a GI issue with random snacks you know? So if you can figure out a way to fit a snack I'd take your own.

I don't bring my ID or health insurance card, but I write my BF's phone number on the back of my bib, I figure between that and being able to look me up by bib number that's enough if something happens.

I'm trying to remember last time if I brought my magic band. I think I didn't, I just met my BF at the end of the race and he had it. He also had my gatorade, because I am very specific about what I drink after races lol. (Lemon-lime 4eva!) Realize a helpful audience-member might not be an option for everyone though.

With the exception of W&D 2017 when I was sick, I only carry my phone & ID card in an armpocket. I used to carry my SPIbelt with Sport Beans in it, but since they started serving those on the course, I haven't needed it, which is nice because I don't like having something around my waist. I also always wear my MagicBand even though my DH usually meets me at the finish, just in case his doesn't work for some reason.

Can anyone tell me about the hills on course? Size, location, any info you might have.
No real hills, just a few overpasses, and an underpass. Nothing compared to real hills, but sorta-kinda "hilly" if you live and train somewhere that's pancake-flat! Underpass (goes downhill, then back up) between miles 4 and 5, circular ramp up to an overpass at mile 10, another little rise on an overpass between 11 and 12.

If I'm not too fussed about my corral placement, meaning I don't care if I'm at the back of my corral, do I need to start walking to corrals as soon as they make the announcement? Or can I wait a bit? I'm just curious if there comes a point where you actually can't get in the corral due to crowding or something.
They do close corrals eventually, especially the earliest ones; you don't want to wait too long. I generally start heading over about 45 minutes before start time - plenty of time for the long walk and a stop at porta-potties.

For the half? I carry: phone, gels, lip balm, handheld water bottle, car key, ID & $20 bill (in case I'm tempted by champagne or beer at the finish.)

what do you carry with you when you run the race?

I'm a bit of a packrat when it comes to being prepared, but the number one thing I bring that has yet to be mentioned is tissues. Nose running faster than you are? You have a tissue. No more toilet paper in the port-o-potty? You have a tissue.

Other than that, I bring gu (not a fan of the sports beans they hand out), color matched magic band, cell phone, $40 cash (not all of the food vendors accept magic band, so if you want coffee before the race bring cash, also good for bribing bell services to bring you back to your room in a golf cart after the race...), ID + insurance card, Tylenol.

I no longer bother with headphones or sunglasses for a half.

What Do I Carry With Me?

1) Gu
2) Cell Phone
3) Magic Band
4) $20 Cash
5) Tissues
6) ID
7) Credit Card

I never needed the credit card or cash before until St. Jude Half Marathon in December 2017 but that experience cemented why I'm glad I carried it just in case. When you have to give an emergency vet a credit card number in the middle of a half marathon because they denied your husband's check - you'll be glad to have it. After the race (and lost of a pet) - there was no walking back to my friend's condo - the cash worked well for the taxi back. I realize this is a very unlikely occurrence for most people but you never know.

Last year I had my phone, running watch, magic band and fuel on the course. I depended on the water stations for hydration and regretted it. I needed more water than I got on the course. The Powerade was the yellow flavor which I do not like. This year I’ll be bringing my own Powerade/water & sports beans. I like to drink and eat at regular intervals on long runs. I didn’t use earbuds last year, but I may bring them along this time for the long stretches of road with nothing to look at.

ETA - tissues! I bring tissues.

$20 cash (which I have never used), Magic Band, ID, extra hair tie, tissues, fuel, plastic grocery bag (for all of the stuff they give you in the finish area - bag is nice to have instead of trying to juggle everything), phone, sunglasses. Don't forget to put on sunscreen, I think that's one thing they DO NOT have at the first aid stops (could be wrong about that).

I carry my phone, headphones and sunglasses in my Flipbelt. I wear my RoadID bracelet and write all my info on the back of my bib in case of emergency. I also wear my running watch. I may carry one gel, but usually I do not fuel for halves. I use the water provided on course. I also don't wear my Magic Band because my mom stays in our room and sleeps and can let me back in.

I am looking for black "bike style" shorts to wear under my Sparkle skirt. Can anybody recommend ones that you like? I don't usually run in tight shorts, but in regular running shorts (the kind with the underwear built in), so I'm not really sure what to get. I want something comfortable, that won't give me a pinchy muffin top, and that will be long enough to cover the inner thighs but not long enough to hang out under the skirt.

Do any of you have a favorite?

I am looking for black "bike style" shorts to wear under my Sparkle skirt. Can anybody recommend ones that you like? I don't usually run in tight shorts, but in regular running shorts (the kind with the underwear built in), so I'm not really sure what to get. I want something comfortable, that won't give me a pinchy muffin top, and that will be long enough to cover the inner thighs but not long enough to hang out under the skirt.

Nike pro shorts!

I was specifically wondering about early entry for people who purchased race retreat. I was hoping to get in early for the expo, check in at Beach Club, grab lunch in Epcot then laze around Stormalong Bay in the afternoon. My daughter has a soccer tournament and I have to bring her home Friday afternoon. We are both running the 5K and I’m running the 10K & half. All I want to do is grab our bibs. I’m planning on going back Saturday to shop.

Ahhh. I misunderstood (clearly, lol).

Funny that so much of us bring $20 cash when we race!

I carry my ID, a credit card and $20 in my shorts pocket, then for a half I might bring a gel or some sports beans in another pocket but usually the gatorade and 1 gel they hand out is enough so I don't need to bring much. Phone goes in my spi belt. I don't put anything else in there with it so I can get it out easily for pictures if I want to.

Anyone else looking at the weather? It's looking HOT! At least for this Minnesota girl :) Thankfully I have a week there before the race to get somewhat acclimated to the heat.

Yep, I'm partial to Skirt Sports brand - they have shorts in a few different lengths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter