2018 Princess Half Marathon

Welp, shows what I know about release dates! :rotfl2: Does seem early for this race.

The magnet with all the princesses and race distances on it is gorgeous. Hope it's still there Friday!

I hoping the stuff that I want is stocked when I get to the expo on Thursday evening! I've read so many horrible experiences from Marathon weekend and lines for the expo that I'm a little worried. This is my first runDisney race so I have no idea what to expect!

I have a dilemma. the side of my knee starts to hurt on-off after about 3 miles. even when I walk it hurts. the pain comes with lifting my knee. I know I need to stretch my hip and hamstrings to help it - which I am doing but it is not healing fast enough for me and I have a long run coming up. My dilemma is - should I rest it for a week or should I try to run on it ???????? uggggg I was doing so well.

Am I missing it or is there no "I did it" pictured for the half?
The previews normally don't show every single item that will be for sale. I'd be shocked if they didn't have "I Did It" shirts available. :)
Guess they don’t care about protecting the runners from the personal shoppers
Nah. All about that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, wherever it comes from!

And honestly, maybe having personal shoppers scoop up the goods early helps runDisney sell more race retreat packages with the early expo access. :rolleyes2 So again - $$$$!

I have a dilemma. the side of my knee starts to hurt on-off after about 3 miles. even when I walk it hurts. the pain comes with lifting my knee. I know I need to stretch my hip and hamstrings to help it - which I am doing but it is not healing fast enough for me and I have a long run coming up. My dilemma is - should I rest it for a week or should I try to run on it ???????? uggggg I was doing so well.
o

I'm no doctor but sounds like an IT Band issue. Stretch, don't run, and strengthen core. Well, that is what my PT said 9 years ago and so I did that and have been fine since and the doctor added only run every other day and no more that 20 miles a week. Didn't follow that when I train for a couple of marathons.

Talk to a professional!! and until then use aleve or something like that and a foam roller and stretch. I say don't run. Most of our training is done and one year I got sick two weeks out, missed my last LR and did fine.

Am I allowed to bring my 12yo with me into the expo early entry for race retreat? I would hope that they wouldn’t be super strict about it.

Bought a new pair of running shoes this morning. My favorite pair of New Balance just don’t feel right. Yesterday on my 9 mile run the front of my shin under my knee was starting to hurt towards the end. It also feels like the cushioning has started to go in the midsole towards the front. I’m not very happy. I only bought these shoes last May and they have about 140 miles on them. I think I can still get some use out of them on shorter runs. Anyway, I finally got a chance to try on Brooks Ghost 10. That’s what I used to wear until they changed the toe box. They changed it again on the 10 to be a wider box and now they fit my fat foot again!

For any new runners who are concerned about the 16:00 pace and standing in lines for characters, my sister did Dopey last month. She ran the half with a friend of hers who ended up cramping really badly. They started out in corral f, ran a 17:45, and never even saw the balloon ladies. Just something to keep in mind. If you start out far enough ahead, you don't even have to maintain that 16 minute pace. Good luck everyone! See you bright in early in just under 2 weeks!

o

I'm no doctor but sounds like an IT Band issue. Stretch, don't run, and strengthen core. Well, that is what my PT said 9 years ago and so I did that and have been fine since and the doctor added only run every other day and no more that 20 miles a week. Didn't follow that when I train for a couple of marathons.

Talk to a professional!! and until then use aleve or something like that and a foam roller and stretch. I say don't run. Most of our training is done and one year I got sick two weeks out, missed my last LR and did fine.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I second ALL of this.

I say don't run. Most of our training is done and one year I got sick two weeks out, missed my last LR and did fine.
Thanks! I think that's what I wanted to hear that even after resting you were able to complete your race. I figure I could run about 6 miles then hobble through about 7 miles to complete my half. I just feel guilty for not running.

Here's to hoping that some stuff is left at the Expo Friday afternoon. I put in my last long run yesterday (10 miles) and am getting super excited now!!

Thanks! I think that's what I wanted to hear that even after resting you were able to complete your race. I figure I could run about 6 miles then hobble through about 7 miles to complete my half. I just feel guilty for not running.

I frequently find myself just stopping once I get to the “taper” part of the plan. I never intend to but somehow it just gets easier to skip runs haha...I am always fine on race day! Rest will be your friend! My husband struggles with IT band issues and it takes foreverrrr to get better once it starts. I’d stay totally away from running before the race!

Am I allowed to bring my 12yo with me into the expo early entry for race retreat? I would hope that they wouldn’t be super strict about it.

Bought a new pair of running shoes this morning. My favorite pair of New Balance just don’t feel right. Yesterday on my 9 mile run the front of my shin under my knee was starting to hurt towards the end. It also feels like the cushioning has started to go in the midsole towards the front. I’m not very happy. I only bought these shoes last May and they have about 140 miles on them. I think I can still get some use out of them on shorter runs. Anyway, I finally got a chance to try on Brooks Ghost 10. That’s what I used to wear until they changed the toe box. They changed it again on the 10 to be a wider box and now they fit my fat foot again!

It clearly states that anyone over 3 has to have their own ticket - I suspect they check it at the race don't know if they will check in the merchandise area or not.

It clearly states that anyone over 3 has to have their own ticket - I suspect they check it at the race don't know if they will check in the merchandise area or not.

I believe that statement from the website applies to the retreat tent on race day. You pick up your retreat bracelets at the expo and you can't get one until the expo is open. She's not going to the race retreat. I can't be the only one with kids and no other adult to watch them that has been in this situation. I'll email RD and if they say she can go in with me I will print it out and bring it with me.

Last edited:
I think there will be something you need to show to get in the expo or there is no point - I would just check to be sure.

I'm still sick :-( Skipped my planned 12 today. Hoping I might feel well enough to try it Wednesday, but if I can't I'll bag it and just see what happens. So frustrated and exhausted from being sick.

Now I have a couple of questions-

For the kids races, do my 6 and 4 year old need to come to the expo? I was hoping to leave them at the hotel with Dad and just pick up for all of us.

Can anyone tell me about the hills on course? Size, location, any info you might have.

If I'm not too fussed about my corral placement, meaning I don't care if I'm at the back of my corral, do I need to start walking to corrals as soon as they make the announcement? Or can I wait a bit? I'm just curious if there comes a point where you actually can't get in the corral due to crowding or something. I'm planning to be on an early bus, but from what I recall there's much more room to sit/warm up in the area by bag check etc and not so much room in the corrals so I'm not in a hurry to get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter