A May 2010 PTR: I Got A Job....Let's Go See Mickey!*Update 4/15!!

Oh, I forgot that you wanted some ADR ideas. When we went in October '08, we were on the Deluxe DDP, and at almost every sit down restaurant in WDW! It was A LOT! My favorite was Tusker House, which you already have. My next favorite is Akershus in Norway. I think you said something about waiting for your DD to be older to do the princess meals, but I still think this would be a good one for your family. You get the free 5x7 family pic (I think they still give you one!), plus you meet almost all the princesses without having to wait in any lines. That will be a great photo op! The food is great (the potato casserole is TDF!), and you can't beat the interaction. I much prefer Akershus to Cinderella's Royal Table. I didn't care much for the food at CRT, and there's no interaction other than the initial Cindy meet-and-greet. And for 2 TS credits? I think not. I will take the girls back there when they are old enough to get really excited about it, but I'm not in any hurry. It's Akershus for me, baby!

I'm also not much of a Chef Mickey's fan. I know that saying that could get me kicked off the DIS, but you get the same characters at
Tusker House, and the food's better!

I like the CP, but the best part of that is the before-park-opening ADR!

Happy ADR planning! I need to work on some tentative schedules myself.

It sounds like all 3 of us have a lot in common! My DH grew up in Knoxville, and I grew up about an hour and a half away. I have always been a huge UT fan, but he felt like UT stuff was shoved down his throat growing up, so he became a Penn State fan. I showed him the error of his ways, though, and now we are proud season ticket holders! He loves them as much as I do now. I think it helps that we don't live in Knoxville anymore, so he's not as surrounded by it as he used to be.

We have a 2 year old DD and a 5 month old DD, and we're bringing them up right:

IMG_2480.jpg

I know my youngest looks a little odd in this pic, but she was only a month old and I couldn't get her situated right. Every picture I took that day makes her look like blob!

Anyway, enough about me! I just wanted to let you know that I'm along for the planning! We are going in December, so I'm trying to soak up as many TRs and PTRs as I can!

I said it on my TR, but I'll say it again here - WELCOME!! Good for you for setting your DH straight! :thumbsup2 Your kiddos are adorable! I think all pictures of one month olds look like that. lol Have you started your own PTR yet? popcorn::

ETA this picture of my kids rocking their orange and white. Dakoda hates posing for pictures, can you tell? :rolleyes:

DSCN5013.jpg

Oh, I forgot that you wanted some ADR ideas. When we went in October '08, we were on the Deluxe DDP, and at almost every sit down restaurant in WDW! It was A LOT! My favorite was Tusker House, which you already have. My next favorite is Akershus in Norway. I think you said something about waiting for your DD to be older to do the princess meals, but I still think this would be a good one for your family. You get the free 5x7 family pic (I think they still give you one!), plus you meet almost all the princesses without having to wait in any lines. That will be a great photo op! The food is great (the potato casserole is TDF!), and you can't beat the interaction. I much prefer Akershus to Cinderella's Royal Table. I didn't care much for the food at CRT, and there's no interaction other than the initial Cindy meet-and-greet. And for 2 TS credits? I think not. I will take the girls back there when they are old enough to get really excited about it, but I'm not in any hurry. It's Akershus for me, baby!

I'm also not much of a Chef Mickey's fan. I know that saying that could get me kicked off the DIS, but you get the same characters at
Tusker House, and the food's better!

I like the CP, but the best part of that is the before-park-opening ADR!

Happy ADR planning! I need to work on some tentative schedules myself.

Thanks for the ADR advice!! I have heard such great things about Akershus. I am dying to eat there! We aren't going to Epcot this trip, though, so it will have to wait for next time. ;) Tusker House was our favorite breakfast, too.

From what I've read on other PTR's and the food board, 'Ohana seems to be one of THE places to eat. I'm just not sure about it with the kids being as young as they are. (2 and 1) Thoughts?

Have you started your own PTR yet? popcorn::

No. I've never written one, and I've read so many good ones that it intimidates me to write my own! I still have a little less than 11 months to get my courage up.

ETA this picture of my kids rocking their orange and white. Dakoda hates posing for pictures, can you tell? :rolleyes:

DSCN5013.jpg

Dakoda and Caroline would get along VERY well! I practically have to pay her to smile and behave herself for pictures. Drives me nuts!

Thanks for the ADR advice!! I have heard such great things about Akershus. I am dying to eat there! We aren't going to Epcot this trip, though, so it will have to wait for next time. ;) Tusker House was our favorite breakfast, too.

Oh no! No EPCOT? :scared1::scared1:

From what I've read on other PTR's and the food board, 'Ohana seems to be one of THE places to eat. I'm just not sure about it with the kids being as young as they are. (2 and 1) Thoughts?

O'hana is on our list of "must-eats" this time. We're doing the character breakfast, though. I plan to go back at some point for dinner, just so I can try the Lapu Lapu! :lmao:

So how many more meals do you need to book?

Jiko is probably my favorite Signature dining restaurant, but it's kind of out of the way. It seems family friendly enough.

So how many more meals do you need to book?

Thanks! I would love to do the 'Ohana character breakfast, but we already have 3 scheduled, so I doubt DH would be up for another this trip. It is on my list for next trip for sure, though! :thumbsup2 I need either one Signature dining experience or 2 regular TS meals.

Jiko is probably my favorite Signature dining restaurant, but it's kind of out of the way. It seems family friendly enough.

Thanks for your input, Jordan! I will definitely look into it!

Signing up! I am just getting on board to follow your plans. My family and I will be at WDW next May also.

Your kids look great in their Vols t-shirs.I live in Canada but my sister lives in Knoxville and I remember the ocean of orange t- shirts I saw last time I visited her.

About your ADR's, have you conidered Boma? It is buffet style but I have heard the food is amazing and there are no characters in sight. We will be trying that on our next trip.:teeth: Apparently California Grill at the Contemporary is amazing also but I just couldnt spare two credits on my ddp. :angel:

Q

Signing up! I am just getting on board to follow your plans. My family and I will be at WDW next May also.

Your kids look great in their Vols t-shirs.I live in Canada but my sister lives in Knoxville and I remember the ocean of orange t- shirts I saw last time I visited her.

About your ADR's, have you conidered Boma? It is buffet style but I have heard the food is amazing and there are no characters in sight. We will be trying that on our next trip.:teeth: Apparently California Grill at the Contemporary is amazing also but I just couldnt spare two credits on my ddp. :angel:

Q

Welcome Q! Thanks re: the kids! :goodvibes You really can't go anywhere in Knoxville without being bombarded by the color orange. :rotfl:Boma is definitely on my short list. We had breakfast there last trip and it was really good! I'm afraid Cali Grill might be a little fancier than we want to try with two toddlers. I'm dying to eat there, though!

Hey there!:wave: I think I subbed to your TR today, too! You might get tired of seeing me. :goodvibes

It sounds like all 3 of us have a lot in common! My DH grew up in Knoxville, and I grew up about an hour and a half away. I have always been a huge UT fan, but he felt like UT stuff was shoved down his throat growing up, so he became a Penn State fan. I showed him the error of his ways, though, and now we are proud season ticket holders! He loves them as much as I do now. I think it helps that we don't live in Knoxville anymore, so he's not as surrounded by it as he used to be.

We have a 2 year old DD and a 5 month old DD, and we're bringing them up right:

IMG_2480.jpg

I know my youngest looks a little odd in this pic, but she was only a month old and I couldn't get her situated right. Every picture I took that day makes her look like blob!

Anyway, enough about me! I just wanted to let you know that I'm along for the planning! We are going in December, so I'm trying to soak up as many TRs and PTRs as I can!

Too funny!! I actually am from Kentucky and graduated from UK but really have always been a Vols fan because we were actually closer to Knoxville than Lexington. I started dating my DH when I was 16 and he is a Vols fanatic so it helped that I liked UT. Not that I hate UK, but my heart is with the Vols. My husband says I used them for my education. I am going back in December also. When will you be there? I think you both have beautiful kids. I will try to post some pics of mine from the Christmas pics we took at the Grand Floridian this December. I do know what you all mean about the sea of orange, but I absolutely love it on football gamedays. I get so excited watching the band on their way to the stadium!!

I have a feeling that is how it will go when (if) we start getting season tix again. I love going to any basketball games, but only really get into the SEC football games. So I will probably stay home with the kids for the rest. You should definitely do a PTR and a TR! I'll be your first reader. popcorn:: Funny that you should mention 'Ohana because that is one place that we didn't eat at last time that I really wanted to. I know if I want to book it, I better do it now or else it will fill up the closer it gets to trip time. Did your boys enjoy it?

My boys actually loved the character breakfast. They are huge fans of Lilo and Stitch and Mickey and Pluto are there also. We did the 'Ohana dinner, but I hate to say, I did not think it was worth the hype. It was okay, but I felt the food was kind of thrown at you and it was way more meat than I could handle. I really liked the Sci-Fi cafe for the atmosphere. I don't know if you ate there or not. I agree about Chef Mickey's. I hated breakfast and we did like dinner so if you were going I would recommend dinner.

Welcome Q! Thanks re: the kids! :goodvibes You really can't go anywhere in Knoxville without being bombarded by the color orange.

You aren't kidding! We just drove through Knoxville last year on what happened to be game day! :eek: We couldn't figure out why people wanted us to pay for parking at a gas station. :confused3 The sea of orange shirts all moving in the same direction helped us figure out what was going on. :rotfl:

I absolutely love it on football gamedays. I get so excited watching the band on their way to the stadium!!

ME TOO!! :goodvibes And I love LoVe LOVE the Vol Walk! :love:

You aren't kidding! We just drove through Knoxville last year on what happened to be game day! :eek: We couldn't figure out why people wanted us to pay for parking at a gas station. :confused3 The sea of orange shirts all moving in the same direction helped us figure out what was going on. :rotfl:

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: LMBO!!!! That is too funny!!

I'm joining in, Julia!! Thanks for posting on my PTR and it's exciting that our trips overlap!! :goodvibes We have a lot in common (minus the Vols thing--we are huge BAMA fans--ROLL TIDE!!--my DH grew up in AL and went to college there). We also fell in love with Disney in '09 and are planning not only to go back in May but also in early December!!!

Ok--ADR suggestions!! My absolute favorite meal we had last time was our dinner at O'hana--the food was outstanding!! The 2 runners up had to be breakfast at Akershus and dinner at Crystal Palace--sooo good and great character interaction!! :goodvibes

I'm joining in, Julia!! Thanks for posting on my PTR and it's exciting that our trips overlap!! :goodvibes We have a lot in common (minus the Vols thing--we are huge BAMA fans--ROLL TIDE!!--my DH grew up in AL and went to college there). We also fell in love with Disney in '09 and are planning not only to go back in May but also in early December!!!

Ok--ADR suggestions!! My absolute favorite meal we had last time was our dinner at O'hana--the food was outstanding!! The 2 runners up had to be breakfast at Akershus and dinner at Crystal Palace--sooo good and great character interaction!! :goodvibes

It's okay, I forgive you for being a BAMA fan. :rotfl: Congrats on the National Championship, by the way! I so wish that I could convince DH to make two trips in one year...but I'm doing good with one! Someday....;)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm really starting to lean towards 'Ohana for dinner one night.

Let's Pick A Resort!

Last year we stayed at Pop Century and we loved it! Yes, the rooms were small, but we didn't mind because we weren't in the room much. We found that we had plenty of space, even with DS's big car seat and the double stroller (unfolded, even). We thought the themeing (theming? theme-ing?:confused3) was really neat, and we loved the food court. So our first instinct was to just stay there again.

But then I thought, why not try something new? We plan to relax a little more this time around and spend more time at the resort, so maybe we should try a moderate. After reading through the mod resort threads and looking at pictures of the resorts here on the DIS :disrocks: I narrowed it down to either Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans Riverside.

So I headed to the Disney website to start pricing things out. We've gotten several PIN codes over the past couple of months, but from what I can figure, the gift card promo that they've got going on right now is still going to be our best bet. Here is how prices are looking:

May 26 - May 31, 2010
5 nights w/ 5 day MYW plus Dining

Pop Century - $300 Gift Card

~ Standard Room: $1534.96
~ Preferred Room: $1619.76

Port Orleans Riverside - $500 Gift Card
~ Standard View: $1897.80
~ Water View: $2038.46

Caribbean Beach - $500 Gift Card
~ Standard Room: $1897.80
~ Pirate pirate: Room: $2066.60

I also priced out a room at AKL just for kicks - Standard View: $2640.34. :scared1: Not in our budget...this time. ;)

I'm leaning towards CBR because I've read several TR's of people that stayed there with kids close to Dakoda's age and they loved it. I really think that he will like the kid pool area. I know it's really spread out, but I'm not too worried about that since there's a chance that we may have our van there with us. So if anyone has any negatives about that resort other than size, I'd really like to hear them! (And of course, positives, too. :thumbsup2)

Which did we choose?

Joining in :banana:. I am coming over from Becky's report. Like Becky our trip overlaps with your trip too. Your children are so cute :cutie:. I have been playing around with our May trip since we got back from our Sept/Oct trip :lmao:. I have heard great things about the CBR, but have never stayed there. We stayed at POR in 2002. We didn't care for it at all. We were WAY back on the property and it was quite a hike to bus stops and food court, and if my memory serves me correct, the rooms there weren't much bigger than at Pop.
Loving your plans so far and looking forward to more :surfweb:.

I haven't actually stayed at any of those, but if it were my choice I'd pick Caribbean Beach. How cool that there's less than $200 difference between value and mod when you figure in the GCs. Seems like a good time to try a moderate!

Enjoying your PTR. It makes me want to check out UGs website. I have the book, but haven't done it yet. I've been relying on TGM for my May plans.

Joining in :banana:. I am coming over from Becky's report. Like Becky our trip overlaps with your trip too. Your children are so cute :cutie:. I have been playing around with our May trip since we got back from our Sept/Oct trip :lmao:. I have heard great things about the CBR, but have never stayed there. We stayed at POR in 2002. We didn't care for it at all. We were WAY back on the property and it was quite a hike to bus stops and food court, and if my memory serves me correct, the rooms there weren't much bigger than at Pop.
Loving your plans so far and looking forward to more :surfweb:.
:welcome: Thanks! Thanks for your input on POR!

I haven't actually stayed at any of those, but if it were my choice I'd pick Caribbean Beach. How cool that there's less than $200 difference between value and mod when you figure in the GCs. Seems like a good time to try a moderate!

Enjoying your PTR. It makes me want to check out UGs website. I have the book, but haven't done it yet. I've been relying on TGM for my May plans.

Thanks for your "vote"! :thumbsup2 You should definitely check out UG's site. It's free since you have the book! I've never used TGM, but I've heard good things about it.

I think the new pool at CBR would be a hit with kids!

Here are a few pictures for you, as you contemplate your decision.

disney3-18-09AKEpcot147.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot146.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot145.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot143.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot142.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot141.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot139.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot138.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot134.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot133.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot132.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot131.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot130.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot127.jpg

disney3-18-09AKEpcot125.jpg

Looks good to me! :)

People knock the CBR, but I've stayed there 3x and loved it every time. I've even shared a room with my elderly parents and it wasn't bad.

I think if you get the refillable mug, it's just kind of a hassle to get to the drink station at Old Port Royal and back. If you were to get a preferred room in Martinique or Trinidad North, that would put you closer to Old Port Royal-the Food Court/Merchandise Location and Themed Pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter