A May 2010 PTR: I Got A Job....Let's Go See Mickey!*Update 4/15!!

Welcome Q! Thanks re: the kids! :goodvibes You really can't go anywhere in Knoxville without being bombarded by the color orange. :rotfl:Boma is definitely on my short list. We had breakfast there last trip and it was really good! I'm afraid Cali Grill might be a little fancier than we want to try with two toddlers. I'm dying to eat there, though!
I've heard very few complaints about Boma, and I'm really trying to figure out if we can work it into our trip this time. Those zebra domes are calling my name (I'll share with you, MeMom)!

Too funny!! I actually am from Kentucky and graduated from UK but really have always been a Vols fan because we were actually closer to Knoxville than Lexington. I started dating my DH when I was 16 and he is a Vols fanatic so it helped that I liked UT. Not that I hate UK, but my heart is with the Vols. My husband says I used them for my education. I am going back in December also. When will you be there? I think you both have beautiful kids. I will try to post some pics of mine from the Christmas pics we took at the Grand Floridian this December. I do know what you all mean about the sea of orange, but I absolutely love it on football gamedays. I get so excited watching the band on their way to the stadium!!
I know! I LOVE the VOL walk, and I swear the running through the "T" makes me tear up every time! I'm such a sap.

My mom and I go up to Middlesboro sometime to shop at Steve and Barry's. It's the closest one to us, and I love their deals. I have no idea if it's still open or not, though. The last time we were there that mall looked like everything was leaving. DH has some family that live near the KY border, and they do a lot of shopping up there to save sales tax, and they know of a store either in KY or near the border that has great deals on Vera Bradley bags. I give them my order every time they go up there! I love me some VB.

We will be there December 3-12 at SSR. :cheer2: When are you going?

ME TOO!! :goodvibes And I love LoVe LOVE the Vol Walk! :love:

I can't miss it! It drives DH nuts that I have to leave our comfy tailgate spot to go see it, but I just think it's a must-do. There's just so much energy there, and I get all worked up when I see all the guys walking down the hill and hear "Rocky Top" behind them. I sure do miss Trooper Taylor, though. It made everything so fun! I loved slapping his hand at the Vol walk!

Becky- I had to choke it out, but I found myself saying, "Roll Tide" a few times during the National Championship game!:sick:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have only stayed at POR, and I would give it a "meh". I have never been impressed, and I agree with Jordan in that it's a long walk to do much of anything. Granted, I don't know any different. Maybe it's as much of a walk as it would be at any other resort, but I've always felt like we had to hike a mile to get to the main building and to the bus stops no matter where we stay. I've stayed in Alligator Bayou and in Magnolia Bend, and both were equally long walks, although I might give the edge to Alligator Bayou. The one thing I would say is that I'm not sure it's worth almost $200 for a preferred view, unless that kinda thing just floats your boat. :boat:

I loved MeMom's pics of CBR, and that looks like my kinda resort. We bought DVC this year:woohoo:, so I don't know that we will ever have a chance to try all the resorts like I wanted to. Her pics makes me wish I could have tried CBR out, though!

I've heard very few complaints about Boma, and I'm really trying to figure out if we can work it into our trip this time. Those zebra domes are calling my name (I'll share with you, MeMom)!

As long as that's understood! :rotfl:

People knock the CBR, but I've stayed there 3x and loved it every time. I've even shared a room with my elderly parents and it wasn't bad.

I think if you get the refillable mug, it's just kind of a hassle to get to the drink station at Old Port Royal and back. If you were to get a preferred room in Martinique or Trinidad North, that would put you closer to Old Port Royal-the Food Court/Merchandise Location and Themed Pool.

Thanks for your input, Jordan! I definitely think we will be springing for preferred if we stay there.

I really want to try zebra domes! I've heard such great things about them.

I know! I LOVE the VOL walk, and I swear the running through the "T" makes me tear up every time! I'm such a sap.

I can't miss it! It drives DH nuts that I have to leave our comfy tailgate spot to go see it, but I just think it's a must-do. There's just so much energy there, and I get all worked up when I see all the guys walking down the hill and hear "Rocky Top" behind them. I sure do miss Trooper Taylor, though. It made everything so fun! I loved slapping his hand at the Vol walk!

Yes! I miss Trooper, too! He had such great energy!

I have only stayed at POR, and I would give it a "meh". I have never been impressed, and I agree with Jordan in that it's a long walk to do much of anything. Granted, I don't know any different. Maybe it's as much of a walk as it would be at any other resort, but I've always felt like we had to hike a mile to get to the main building and to the bus stops no matter where we stay. I've stayed in Alligator Bayou and in Magnolia Bend, and both were equally long walks, although I might give the edge to Alligator Bayou. The one thing I would say is that I'm not sure it's worth almost $200 for a preferred view, unless that kinda thing just floats your boat. :boat:

I loved MeMom's pics of CBR, and that looks like my kinda resort. We bought DVC this year:woohoo:, so I don't know that we will ever have a chance to try all the resorts like I wanted to. Her pics makes me wish I could have tried CBR out, though!

Thanks for the POR info! I think we have ruled it out at this point. After DH saw the pics of CBR, he was pretty set on it. :laughing: Congrats on your DVC purchase! I think we will be buying in at some point, but probably not until the kids are older.

Changes (Already!) :lmao:

First, I want to thank everyone for their input and opinions! It made our decision very easy, and we chose.....................

Caribbean Beach Resort!!

Once that was settled, I started working on our itinerary. But the more I looked at it, the more I got to thinking...maybe 5 days wasn't going to be long enough after all. We were going to be missing out on Epcot entirely, and while it's not my favorite park or anything, I do enjoy it. Plus, I want this to be a fun and enjoyable trip; I don't want to feel rushed in any way, and I want to have some downtime to relax (which I knew would not happen with only 4.5 park days). So I talked to Darren, and we decided that it would be worth it to us to have a longer vacation and just stay at Pop again. After all, we both really liked the resort last year. In fact, our only complaint was the length of the walk from our room to the bus stop/food court. So I did a little research here on the DIS to find out what our best bet would be for a closer room (standard or preferred, which building, etc), and how to go about making a request.
I just love the DIS! I really don't know what I would do without it! :love: :disrocks: Probably waste a lot of time on the phone with the WDW Travel Co! :rotfl:

Anyway, here is the new and improved plan of action!

May 29 - June 5, 2010
7 Nights/7 Day MYW Base Tickets with Dining Plan
Pop Century Resort, Standard Room *hopefully 60s building, ground floor*

Itinerary
Sat, 5/29: Travel & DHS (Star Wars Weekend)
Sun, 5/30: Animal Kingdom (Dakoda's birthday!)
Mon, 5/31: Magic Kingdom
Tues, 6/1: Hollywood Studios
Wed, 6/2: Epcot
Thurs, 6/3: Animal Kingdom
*these last two days may flip-flop*
Fri, 6/4: Magic Kingdom
Sat, 6/5: Head home :sad1:

ADR's
Sun, 5/30: Tusker House, 8:00 am
Mon, 5/31: Crystal Palace, 8:10 am
Wed, 6/2: Akershus, 8:00 am
Wed, 6/2: Teppan Edo, 1:00 pm
Fri, 6/4: Chef Mickey's, 7:00 am

I think that has you all up-to-date! I still need to choose two more TS meals, so keep those suggestions coming! :thumbsup2

Next

Hi Julia!

I'd trade resorts for a few more days in a heartbeat!

We love Play 'n Dine at Hollywood & Vine at the Studios for breakfast or lunch. (We've done it three or four times!) The food has always been good and the kids love to sing and dance along with Jo Jo and Goliath and the Little Einsteinsns. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Congrats on the job!

Kathy

Hi Julia....signing on to follow your adventures in planning. Looks like you're getting everything lined-up pretty well.

Hi Julia!

I'd trade resorts for a few more days in a heartbeat!

We love Play 'n Dine at Hollywood & Vine at the Studios for breakfast or lunch. (We've done it three or four times!) The food has always been good and the kids love to sing and dance along with Jo Jo and Goliath and the Little Einsteinsns. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Congrats on the job!

Kathy

Thanks! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that would do that! :goodvibes I've been considering H&V because we don't have an ADR on our DHS day. I'm glad to know that you all enjoyed it! Do you know if they have ADR's before park opening? :scratchin

Hi Julia....signing on to follow your adventures in planning. Looks like you're getting everything lined-up pretty well.

:welcome: Thanks for signing on!! Hope you enjoy reading! :goodvibes

:welcome: Thanks for signing on!! Hope you enjoy reading! :goodvibes

We've got something in common....the first post of your PTR and my TR contain a photo taken in our favorite college football stadiums. There are several Vols fans up in this neck of the woods and there's always a lot of banter leading up to the few times PSU has played Tennessee. Fortunately (for us anyway :rolleyes1) we've come out on top the last couple of times the teams have met. I try not to "dish it out" too much, 'cause I know I hate to live with it when the game results are not to my liking.

Hello:)

Great trip rport so far! I can't wait to read about the rest of your planning and your trip. Your kids are just too cute:cutie:

We've got something in common....the first post of your PTR and my TR contain a photo taken in our favorite college football stadiums. There are several Vols fans up in this neck of the woods and there's always a lot of banter leading up to the few times PSU has played Tennessee. Fortunately (for us anyway :rolleyes1) we've come out on top the last couple of times the teams have met. I try not to "dish it out" too much, 'cause I know I hate to live with it when the game results are not to my liking.

I noticed that, too. :) It's been awhile since they played each other. Are they scheduled again anytime soon? I'll ask my husband, I think he has the next 5 years of schedules memorized.:lmao:

Hello:)

Great trip rport so far! I can't wait to read about the rest of your planning and your trip. Your kids are just too cute:cutie:

:welcome: Thank you! :goodvibes

It's okay, I forgive you for being a BAMA fan. :rotfl: Congrats on the National Championship, by the way! I so wish that I could convince DH to make two trips in one year...but I'm doing good with one! Someday....;)

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm really starting to lean towards 'Ohana for dinner one night.

Thanks!! Hee hee!! ROLL TIDE! :goodvibes

Yay for CBR!!! It looks like a really cool resort! But I'm sad about your date change--we leave the day you get there!

I love me some VB.

We will be there December 3-12 at SSR. :cheer2: When are you going?

Becky- I had to choke it out, but I found myself saying, "Roll Tide" a few times during the National Championship game!:sick:

I LOVE VB, too!!! We're going in December, too Andrea!! We haven't nailed down dates yet but we're leaning towards early December!! Have you ever been to WDW in Dec? Whoo hoo!! Thanks for cheering on the Tide!! :cheer2:

Us Southern women really use that right to change our minds don't we ;)....hehehe. You know I changed my resort for a few extras :thumbsup2.
We are doing dinner at 'Ohana. We ate there for breakfast in September and were not overly impressed with the service, but I want to try the dinner.

Sorry ya'll are going through so much with the coach, man I would say ole Al Davis was right :scared1:.

Changes (Already!)
Anyway, here is the new and improved plan of action!

May 29 - June 5, 2010
7 Nights/7 Day MYW Base Tickets with Dining Plan
Pop Century Resort, Standard Room *hopefully 60s building, ground floor*

Itinerary
Sat, 5/29: Travel & DHS (Star Wars Weekend)
Sun, 5/30: Animal Kingdom (Dakoda's birthday!)
Mon, 5/31: Magic Kingdom
Tues, 6/1: Hollywood Studios
Wed, 6/2: Epcot
Thurs, 6/3: Animal Kingdom
*these last two days may flip-flop*
Fri, 6/4: Magic Kingdom
Sat, 6/5: Head home :sad1:

ADR's
Sun, 5/30: Tusker House, 8:00 am
Mon, 5/31: Crystal Palace, 8:10 am
Wed, 6/2: Akershus, 8:00 am
Wed, 6/2: Teppan Edo, 1:00 pm
Fri, 6/4: Chef Mickey's, 7:00 am

I think that has you all up-to-date! I still need to choose two more TS meals, so keep those suggestions coming! :thumbsup2

That sounds great! Your ADRs sound good to me! Yay for a longer stay.:banana: Can't beat that!

Really? There are a lot of Vol fans in PA? I never would've guessed that! One of my mom's best friends lives in Shippensburg, but they are PSU fans. They've been there so long that they've changed their loyalty!
I LOVE VB, too!!! We're going in December, too Andrea!! We haven't nailed down dates yet but we're leaning towards early December!! Have you ever been to WDW in Dec? Whoo hoo!! Thanks for cheering on the Tide!! :cheer2:

I've never been at Christmas time, and I am so stinkin' excited! All those holiday specials on TV this year really got me fired up about it. Now I get to spend the next 11 months planning this awesome trip. I'm doing my best to make it as magical and Christmas-y as possible. I have some questions for you, so I'll shoot on over to your PTR and ask!

Sorry ya'll are going through so much with the coach, man I would say ole Al Davis was right :scared1:.
That crazy old man WAS right. I tried to overlook his ranting about Kiffin when we hired him, but it looks like the guy's not entirely senile, after all. I truly can't say I'm surprised that Kiffin left (let's face it, he wasn't a Knoxville kinda guy) but he did it in such a crappy way. He just looks like a total jerk, and I have a feeling that karma is going to bite this guy in the rear end. If not him personally, then USC. Whoever's idea it was to hire Mr. NCAA Secondary Violation while under investigation for misconduct is a real braintrust. Grrr....:headache: Now I'm getting all mad again! Ugh!

Sorry! Now back to regularly scheduled programming. Fairies, Princesses, Pixie Dust, Pirates, Mickey Waffles...... ok. Feeling better now....

Really? There are a lot of Vol fans in PA? I never would've guessed that! One of my mom's best friends lives in Shippensburg, but they are PSU fans. They've been there so long that they've changed their loyalty!

Not usually native Pennsylvanians. I work in a corporation so there are lots of transplants here of varying loyalties!

Us Southern women really use that right to change our minds don't we ;)....hehehe. You know I changed my resort for a few extras :thumbsup2.
We are doing dinner at 'Ohana. We ate there for breakfast in September and were not overly impressed with the service, but I want to try the dinner.

Haha! Yes, it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind!! :rotfl: Yeah, it's looking like the old man wasn't as crazy as we thought...:rolleyes1

That crazy old man WAS right. I tried to overlook his ranting about Kiffin when we hired him, but it looks like the guy's not entirely senile, after all. I truly can't say I'm surprised that Kiffin left (let's face it, he wasn't a Knoxville kinda guy) but he did it in such a crappy way. He just looks like a total jerk, and I have a feeling that karma is going to bite this guy in the rear end. If not him personally, then USC. Whoever's idea it was to hire Mr. NCAA Secondary Violation while under investigation for misconduct is a real braintrust. Grrr....:headache: Now I'm getting all mad again! Ugh!

Yeah, I'm not surprised that he left, either, but I was surprised that he did it during such a crucial time of the year for recruiting, not to mention all of the shady business that has gone down over the past few days on the part of him and Ed O. TBH, though, I am GLAD that they are gone. We need a coach that LOVES the University of Tennessee and everything we stand for, understands and honors our traditions, and isn't going to try and change everything about the program. I know that there is always room for improvement, but Kiff and co. were basically trying to change everything and turn us into the USC of the southeast. (I don't know if you read the Josh McNeil story, but if not, you need to! Link) So, IMO, GOOD RIDDANCE!!! Now if we could just find a new coach.......

I've been considering H&V because we don't have an ADR on our DHS day. I'm glad to know that you all enjoyed it! Do you know if they have ADR's before park opening? :scratchin

Breakfast is served from 8:00-11:20
Lunch 11:40-2:25

(Dinner is not a character experience.)

Kathy

Breakfast is served from 8:00-11:20
Lunch 11:40-2:25

(Dinner is not a character experience.)

Kathy

Thanks Kathy! I added a breakfast ADR there at 8:00 am on 6/1. While the characters there aren't ones that my kids are really crazy about, I'm really excited to go into the park before opening!!

Stopping by to say HI and see how things are going this week? I hate the lull in the planning. It gets so boring at this point in the planning, because there isn't much left to do but wait.

Stopping by to say HI and see how things are going this week? I hate the lull in the planning. It gets so boring at this point in the planning, because there isn't much left to do but wait.

Hi! :wave2: Yes, this is the worst part of the planning process. I think this is normally the time when I get so bored that I start going back and questioning every decision and changing things. :rolleyes1 Fortunately, I'm in the middle of planning my DD's first birthday party, too, so I'm satisfying my obsession that way. :rotfl: Maybe I should post about that......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter