Advice For Someone who Hates Shorts...

Allison Joy

DIS Veteran
Disclaimer: I KNOW I'm picky/stubborn regarding this issue, and I know it's ultimately MY problem and not anyone else's. If I'm not too keen on your suggestions, it's my own fault, not yours. So don't feel like you have to actually come up with a solution for me. :) (I hope that made sense.)

Okay. So I'm going to Disney for the first time ever in late May/early June! YAY!

I am one of those people who wears pants/jeans year round. Even when it's 90+ degrees with humidity in St. Louis, I wear jeans or pants. But I'm not usually outside all day, like I will be at Disney, so I realize I'll have to alter my expectations some. I just don't like shorts. Somewhat of a body image thing, I guess (I think my legs look like twigs!) but I just... don't like shorts!

Now the most obvious solution is capris. But I don't like those either, because I have short legs, and they just look like short pants on me, even if I go with kids sizes. (I'm 4'10" rounded up, so I can get away with buying kids clothes fore most things) I realize I'm probably just going to have to bite the bullet and wear shorts, so I don't die of dehydration and heat exhaustion, but are there any other suggestions out there?

I don't wear shorts either and I'll be going the same timeframe as you this year (late may and early june). We went to DL in August last year (they were having a heatwave and it was high 90's with humidity) and I wore light weight leggings and t-shirts and I was fine. I also wore light weight skinny jeans and was fine as well. I don't think I was any more hot than anyone else in my family who was wearing shorts. The key is to make sure all your clothes are lightweight. So this year I'm doing the same and I'm sure I'll be just fine again.

DH is English - we've been married 25 years - for the first 21 he refused to wear shorts. When we went to Disney (and during the hot NC summers) - he would wear light (in weight and color) pants - generally khakis - it worked for him and he didn't die :-)

I am the same way, and it took me months of living in Florida to finally be able to wear shorts sometimes

The only pants I would wear were jeans - no leggings, no capris, no khakis, and definitely no dresses or skirts. I made sure to wear the lightest weight jeans I had, and a thin top to help balance out.

It's extremely important to drink a ton of water, because the jeans will hold in heat/make you sweat more. I always dehydrate faster on jeans days.

It's also important to make sure the pants fit really well. If you wear your jeans for more than a day between washes, I would stick with day 1 pants (maybe 2) only. Walking around in stretched out, hot, sweaty denim is no fun

When I did start to wear shorts, I found that I preferred running shorts to any other length. Even though I prefer long pants, I hated knee-length shorts.

Even when it's 90+ degrees with humidity in St. Louis, I wear jeans or pants.

I'm the same way and also from the STL area, so I'm familiar with the weather. When I go down to Orlando, I just suck it up and wear shorts because I don't want to be miserable. You could maybe try longer shorts, like bermudas or something, or light weight pants. I don't think I could handle jeans all day at Disney.

For our last few trips I've been wearing skorts I bought at SAMs club in different colors. They're made out of lightweight wicking material and dry quickly when it rains. I used to be very self-conscious of my skinny legs but now I don't care as long as I look decent. Now. I'm looking for a maxi skirt made of lightweight material for petites with a modest slit on the side. I think that will be my next option. By the way the skorts are very lightweight for packing on a trip.

I'll have to look into some of these suggestions. I'd probably go for shorts before skirts, but I'm definitely looking into the hiking pants or just super lightweight pants idea. The good thing is that they are FINALLY selling longer shorts, so that will help too. Did I mention I'm also cheap? ;)

Now the most obvious solution is capris. But I don't like those either, because I have short legs, and they just look like short pants on me, even if I go with kids sizes.

You should find a good tailor. Get those clothes to actually fit you. I see you just said you're cheap, so that's something you're going to have to fight against. Having clothing that FITS makes you feel good, and that's a great investment to make in yourself.

I would go with skirts before pants. Sweating and chafing in pants doesn't sound like any fun.

Long light weight skirts or dresses might be the solution. Or very lightweight, loose pants. Linen or harem as another poster suggested.

I had issues with my legs when I was very overweight. I only wore pants or capris. But when I went to WDW I gave in and got shorts for the trip because it was so darn hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter