Air travel policy updates

Like a ghost town. When we flew out there were maybe 5 people and us going through security and Customs was empty when we walked in! The officer was waving and calling out to us as I stood there looking for where to go.
No food places open. Only some Hudson News places. I’m glad I had my coffee at home!
I had my test done at the airport, very quick.

Thank you!! I def will have to pack some snacks for hubby to snack on before the flight.
How did you feel on the plane? I am a little worried about having someone next to us as there is only myself and hubby going. He is leaning towards us booking business class so only there won't be anyone right next to us but it is a huge price diff and the air is circulated throughout so is it any safer.. all these questions going around in my head.

No food or coffee places at all? Guess I'd better pack us some snacks! We usually fly out of Prince George early and eat breakfast at YVR during our layover.

The last time I flew out of YVR (May 31, 2020) it was eerie. Nothing much open at all. I just spent hours walking around trying to kill time between my flights lol.

Except they don’t even recognize a mix of RNA vaccines.
The CDC does recognize the mixing of MRNA vaccines -albeit with a vague reference to "exceptional circumstances" which seems to refer mostly to availability, but in practice RNA mixing has not resulted in any issues in the US.

They specifically note that the efficacy of mixing a viral vector with an MRNA is unknown, although there is at least one study that suggests the result of this is a stronger immune response.

The CDC does recognize the mixing of MRNA vaccines -albeit with a vague reference to "exceptional circumstances" which seems to refer mostly to availability, but in practice RNA mixing has not resulted in any issues in the US.

They specifically note that the efficacy of mixing a viral vector with an MRNA is unknown, although there is at least one study that suggests the result of this is a stronger immune response.

And even more frustrating, I've seen letters back from the CDC saying
"If you received the first dose of an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine that requires two doses, you do not need to restart the vaccine series in the United States. Get your second dose of the same vaccine as close to the recommended time as possible.

If you end up receiving doses of two different COVID-19 vaccines, then you are considered fully immunized and don't need any additional vaccinations."

But the cruise lines don't seem to care. Doubt the US will clarify it any time soon.

No food or coffee places at all? Guess I'd better pack us some snacks! We usually fly out of Prince George early and eat breakfast at YVR during our layover.
Nothing was open. But we had an 8:30 am flight. Usually some food places were open in the past early, like Timmy’s, Starbucks. But only think open was Hudson’s. They had some pre-packaged food. I don’t know if some places opened up later, but I wouldn’t count on it. Very few flights were going out. Probably not enough business for them to open. I’d pack snacks or sandwiches.

Nothing was open. But we had an 8:30 am flight. Usually some food places were open in the past early, like Timmy’s, Starbucks. But only think open was Hudson’s. They had some pre-packaged food. I don’t know if some places opened up later, but I wouldn’t count on it. Very few flights were going out. Probably not enough business for them to open. I’d pack snacks or sandwiches.
Good to know, thanks for the info. We land at 8:20am and have a 2.5 hour layover so I'll make sure to have some snacks so DH doesn't get hangry.

International travel - my parents are traveling to Germany by Air Canada next weekend, both vaccinated. Can anyone help me understand what are the covid testing requirements for them for flight and entry to Germany? Thanks in advance.

Thank you!! I def will have to pack some snacks for hubby to snack on before the flight.
How did you feel on the plane? I am a little worried about having someone next to us as there is only myself and hubby going. He is leaning towards us booking business class so only there won't be anyone right next to us but it is a huge price diff and the air is circulated throughout so is it any safer.. all these questions going around in my head.
I was ok with it my daughter & I had 2 seats and other person had window. The planes have good circulation and hepa filters, and we were masked. I would rather not sit next to a stranger but it was ok. First was totally booked up and price was ridiculous. So I sucked it up in premium economy. On the way back I sat in regular coach section. Wasn’t worth paid upgrade for premium seats. Usually I get free upgrades if there’s seats left 24 hr before flight, but they’re totally booked up these days.
I spent my money better getting a day pass for the lounge! We had a 3 hr layover in SeaTac going and 4 hrs returning.

And even more frustrating, I've seen letters back from the CDC saying
"If you received the first dose of an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine that requires two doses, you do not need to restart the vaccine series in the United States. Get your second dose of the same vaccine as close to the recommended time as possible.

If you end up receiving doses of two different COVID-19 vaccines, then you are considered fully immunized and don't need any additional vaccinations."

But the cruise lines don't seem to care. Doubt the US will clarify it any time soon.

Its really confusing to me. I’ve read (can’t remember where) that US didn’t recognize any mixed dose. Not AZ, AZ & RNA, or different RNA vaccines. Maybe it was the cruise ships. 🤷‍♀️

International travel - my parents are traveling to Germany by Air Canada next weekend, both vaccinated. Can anyone help me understand what are the covid testing requirements for them for flight and entry to Germany? Thanks in advance.
https://canada.diplo.de/ca-en/consular-services/-/2369946This link has the info you need. It looks like you just need to show proof of vaccinations, dates, type, etc. Testing is waived for fully vaccinated people.

Last edited:
thank you, strange that no negative covid test required to board the flight. I appreciate the link

Had our return flight from LAX to YYZ (Pearson) today. I have been sitting in the plane in Toronto for about 50 minutes! Seems they deplane connecting flights, but other have to wait. The flight attendant told us it would take about an hour to let the first group of 50 passengers through starting with First class then moving to passengers at the back of the plane. About 10 minutes or so per group. Apparently it has taken up to 3hours. 😬 Seems it has to do with the fact that it takes about 10x the time to process each passenger....

Anyhow... bring snacks and book seats as far up as possible! Hope they let me off
🤣 The poor flight attendants... lots of displeased people.

Update : It took us 2h30 from gate to exit. No one even looked at our ArriveCan app... only vaccine papers.

Last edited:
Just another quick check in from Punta Cana..our last full day :( Boy it went by quickly!! Had our Covid tests done yesterday (Thursday) morning at 8:30 and got the results back this evening (they were actually processed at 10pm last night 🙄). NEGATIVE times 4!! Now we are just filling out the ArrCan app (huge thunderstorm tonight!). Wish us luck for our connecting flight to Vancouver through Toronto 😬😬 Don't be surprised if my next update is from the Sheraton Gateway because we missed our connection 🤦😳

At breakfast now and our flight to Toronto has been delayed by over an hour. Think we can kiss our connection goodbye.
It took us about 2h30 from gate to exit in Toronto yesterday. Thankfully for your family, you should be out the plane first because of the connection. Good luck and safe travels!

To add another data point…

Flew out of YYZ to the US yesterday. Baggage drop off was easy and we were able to access the NEXUS lane for security which only had about 5 people in front of us (note that that this is currently just a « by-pass » and isn’t acting like a normal TSA pre-check lane, so you still have to take-off shoes and remove liquids and electronics). Just as we got into the security line, they halted things because CBP was so backed up. Halt lasted about 30 minutes. Once we started up again, things moved swiftly. Because we have NEXUS, we skipped the long line at CBP and were through that in minutes.

The AC lounge is closed (the ones in domestic and international are open), but most of the food options seemed open (though often limited in selection).

We look off late because they had to remove passenger luggage (I assume because people didn’t have the right paperwork).

The FA did enforce masks (the man sitting in front of me had his under his nose and the FA made it clear that it had to be lifted up and kept up).

It took us about 2h30 from gate to exit in Toronto yesterday. Thankfully for your family, you should be out the plane first because of the connection. Good luck and safe travels!
So how would that work? They just call all the people with a connection to say you get off now but everyone else stays? How do they verify you have a connection? I honestly have no hope of getting it, we will have 1hr and 15 minutes at the most (unless our plane to Vancouver is delayed) and we still need to go through customs, our 10yr old will need to be tested for Covid again (I think?) Get our luggage and recheck it then go to our gate. I think if we can get that all done successfully I will buy a lottery ticket 🤣🤣

So how would that work? They just call all the people with a connection to say you get off now but everyone else stays? How do they verify you have a connection? I honestly have no hope of getting it, we will have 1hr and 15 minutes at the most (unless our plane to Vancouver is delayed) and we still need to go through customs, our 10yr old will need to be tested for Covid again (I think?) Get our luggage and recheck it then go to our gate. I think if we can get that all done successfully I will buy a lottery ticket 🤣🤣
Good Luck;it doesn't look to good for you.I'd look when the next flight to Vancouver is scheduled.raise a bit of a stink if you miss;depending how long to your next flight they'll pay for accomodations or give you coupons you can use in the airport.AC right? I hope.

1h15 is quite tight!

They ask those with connections to deplane and others to stay put. Tickets have to be shown. They will not let you leave with this first group unless there is a connection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter