Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Don't want you to think i like that you're a mess right now, just that i get it --- really GET IT!
This is always a hard time of year, so many expectations and far too much pressure placed on us by ourselves and those who are supposed to love us the most. We are heading into 2018 with no plans, no carrot, nothing to reach for and to borrow a phrase from a Disney chat room i was part of on AOL (yes i AM that old!) IT HOOVERS (because you know, gotta be Mickey friendly and to say it sucks is rude :P )
We've had our daughter, her wife and their cat living with us for a couple of weeks due to a craptastic landlord issue but thanks to whichever God answered my numerous prayers, they moved into a great new place on Sunday. HOWEVER, the house is now a disaster, I'm weeks behind in my plans, shopping's not done, laundry is literally knee deep, cat hair everywhere (get the picture?) All of this while I'm doing daily treks in and out of Toronto for a 7 minute treatment (check out my signature for a hint as to what the treatments are for and how much extra fun I am right now!) --- bone-deep exhausted AND my mom chooses now to demand I meet her for lunch and listen to her sob story of a life while serving me up a healthy dose of guilt.

I still have treatments on the 27th & 28th so we've cashed in some IHG points to stay over 2 nights so i won't have 2 more butt-crack-of-stupid o'clock mornings. I cashed in Scene points and some survey points for tickets to see the new Star Wars movie in a VIP theatre and we'll be wandering around the city. THAT is our big holiday and compared to last year when we were getting ready to go to Florida for 3 weeks, yeah turn on the tears.

The AM balance is steadily climbing and i no longer refer to it by the miles total but the travel voucher equivalent -- currently we're 213 miles short of $1900. I spend hours staring at the Marlin travel site dreaming, wishing, hoping, planning. We have no idea where to go, but it has to be better than HERE!
You win the top prize for sure. That's boat load of stuff all happening at the same time. It can only get better...right?

You know I really don't get why Christmas brings out the ugly in some people. What I got from my mom, and have many times before, was that she wouldn't be having dinner with us because "that's your family" and when asked why, "I would just as soon keep it to myself so that there are no hard feelings". That means I did or said something that pissed her off. She thinks EVERYTHING is some sort of personal attack on her. The reality is no one has ever done anything to her.

There is a lot to the story but my family is only myself, my brother and my mom. It makes me mad that things are divided over petty, juvenile crap. She can't accept her children for the way they are. I can't even confront her on it because it would just make things worse. So I have to hold my tongue and let her away with it. I haven't had Christmas(or any other holiday) with my brother in probably 8+ years because I would have it thrown in my face that I left her alone on Christmas. Can't even go to DH's family for the same reason. I really miss when we all had holiday meals together. I think that's a pretty good case for being in another country for Christmas.

I think it's pretty awesome that we can all come together here and unload a little. Thanks friends! :grouphug:

I just clicked on the link to the shop the block site and it say this:

See You Next Year!
"Shop the block has wrapped up
thanks for participating!
If you qualified you will receive your bonus miles at the end of January 2018.
Happy New Year!"
I actually thought I'd have to wait alot longer for the airmiles.

https://shoptheblock.ca/en/closed?reg=ON

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
If anyone needs anything from Staples:
View attachment 289638

When I first saw this I thought, no there is nothing I need at Staples. Then I asked DH and he reminded me I go through black ink like there is no tomorrow. Off we went to get an extra long life black ink for the printer. Thanks for the heads up that gave me an opportunity to give it a second thought. Easy 50AM.

This forum really rocks!
Reading the posts I can sympathize with many of you. It can be a very stressful time.
Almost every year my Dad would get drunk on Christmas Day and often end up in the hospital with pancreatitis, I don't have good child hood memories of Christmas Day
Fortunately I have a great husband and we raised two amazing kids, I tried to make Christmas Day as special as possible.

In our family, We rotate Christmas dinner yearly getting together 1 year with my siblings and their kids (about 14 of us) on Christmas Day, The next year is "in laws" year so on that year we spend Christmas Day at our in -laws and my siblings (and their kids) and my family have dinner on Boxing Day.
On the "in laws " year we end up having to cook 2 dinners, one on Christmas Day with my kids and their partners (we don't go to in laws anymore) aand one on Boxing Day for the whole family.
This is an "in laws" year so we decided to do something different. We are going to an authentic Chinese Food restaurant in Markham on Christmas Day and so we only have to cook 1 "Christmas Dinner" on Boxing Day.
I don't know how it's going to work out but I am looking forward to not having to cook and clean on Christmas Day.
What do you guys do?

I started a yearly tradition of having my family over Christmas Eve for a gathering about 40 years ago. This was because my parents were elderly at the time and I felt my mother was just to old to be doing Christmas dinner for us. We are a family of 9 siblings and Christmas day was always the entire family and anyone who had no place to go. Picture dinner with 9 siblings, spouses, grandchildren and miscellaneous friends. It was lots of fun but busy work. I think my mother gave a sigh of relief, I really do.

Anyways, we do a Christmas Eve buffet for anywhere from 40 to 50. Then Christmas dinner was smaller with just our family and any others that have no place to go or would prefer not to go to the bother of cooking a big meal, so it would be between 10 and 20. The door was just left open.

Having said all that, last year my youngest (who is mid thirties now) and his wife suggested they do Christmas dinner. It would be the first year with their baby and DD-I-L wanted to have some of her family with her. It was a huge adjustment but we did it. I think she was a bit surprised at how much work it was but she pulled through like a trooper. I had a few disappointed people who had been used to coming here who had to find their own way for Christmas and that made me feel guilty. This year we will be doing the same, Christmas Eve, open buffet here and Christmas dinner at the sons. After 40 some years it does feel strange but I'm sure that's how my mother felt when I took it over as well.

Dylemma1, I understand what your saying. My husbands father was an alcoholic who didn't work and Christmas when he was very small was a hope that they would get something from the Salvation Army. When he was a bit older, (10ish?) his mother converted to Jehovah witness and even that small bit of Christmas was removed from his life. When we were dating he loved to come to my house for Christmas as he had never experienced it before. He enjoys the season every bit as much as much as any child, lol. I always make sure he has lots of little gifts under the tree.

Merry Christmas to everyone on here and thanks so much for everyone's help through out the year. Here's to a productive 2018 in the Air Miles category!

Funny, we had great Christmas’s as kids. The problems started as adults. One year that was a stand out was about 13 years ago. My brothers son was born Christmas Day and it was his third birthday so my SIL wanted Christmas at home so that she could make sure her son also had a birthday as well. My mom pitched a fit when a birthday cake was served for dessert and said that was not Christmas.

I could spend the day this year with my brother but I’m scared that if I make other plans my mom will change her mind and want to get together with us.

Funny, we had great Christmas’s as kids. The problems started as adults. One year that was a stand out was about 13 years ago. My brothers son was born Christmas Day and it was his third birthday so my SIL wanted Christmas at home so that she could make sure her son also had a birthday as well. My mom pitched a fit when a birthday cake was served for dessert and said that was not Christmas.

I could spend the day this year with my brother but I’m scared that if I make other plans my mom will change her mind and want to get together with us.
What a shame. We have several December birthdays, but my nephew's is the 28th. So birthday gifts were given after the main meal and dessert was, at first birthday cake, and eventually, because he preferred-cherry cheesecake. All traditions are what you make them.

I've been reading along. This year I thought we were finally going to get it right. We haven't had all the siblings together at Christmas since my mom and dad passed away (2010, 2012).

This year I invited everyone to my house (16 of us). I just spent the day turning the living room into a dining room and vise versa. I went downstairs and into the box of my mothers dishes and brought some extra ones us (I only have a setting for 12). Just as I got upstairs my oldest brother called and cancelled. No explanation. I was TO'd to say the least, vented to a friend and then decided I wasn't going to let it get me down. I can only put the invite out there I can't make them come.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

What a shame. We have several December birthdays, but my nephew's is the 28th. So birthday gifts were given after the main meal and dessert was, at first birthday cake, and eventually, because he preferred-cherry cheesecake. All traditions are what you make them.
We also have several Dec. birthdays. My oldest brother (passed 8yrs ago) and I are on Dec. 15th. So when my nephew was born we talked about how to make sure he didn't feel ripped off like I had as a kid. It was my suggestion to have Christmas until 5pm and then it was birthday only time. No birthday presents wrapped in Christmas paper or combo gifts(birthday and Christmas).

I've been reading along. This year I thought we were finally going to get it right. We haven't had all the siblings together at Christmas since my mom and dad passed away (2010, 2012).

This year I invited everyone to my house (16 of us). I just spent the day turning the living room into a dining room and vise versa. I went downstairs and into the box of my mothers dishes and brought some extra ones us (I only have a setting for 12). Just as I got upstairs my oldest brother called and cancelled. No explanation. I was TO'd to say the least, vented to a friend and then decided I wasn't going to let it get me down. I can only put the invite out there I can't make them come.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
You are going to have a wonderful day with the family that does come. The others are the ones that are missing out.

Uggg....all day (was a brutal one at work) all I could think of was that I should have been getting on a plane tomorrow. I'm an idiot!

I just got off the live chat with TripCentral.ca about using the gift certificates for a cruise.

Apparently, you need to have all of your certificates at once, you can't keep adding to your balance as you get them. You also need to pay in full, send in your certificates and then accounting issues you a cheque refund.

I know a few of you are doing this now for all-inclusive resorts. Just curious who you are booking with and what their policy is on this?

I booked our All Inclusive with Transat Travel at my local mall. I just paid off the remaining balance this afternoon for our trip to Cuba in February and I was absolutely ecstatic to have been able to accumulate $500 in travel certificates to slap on the balance. HOWEVER, the very experienced travel agent I was working with told me that we will only have until the end of this month to order travel certificates from Dream Mile accounts, and after Jan 1st they will only be doing the e-vouchers through Cash Account. I have all of my miles going to Dream, as I like that you can (could) redeem as many certificates as you want UP TO the pre-tax cost of the trip, and the travel certificates never expire. With the Cash miles option, you can only redeem 400-800 miles per person (depends on whether you book through a corporate office like Transat Travel (800) or a franchise office (400)). I have been searching for confirmation of that but can't find anythign on AM website.

I am bummed because I have 2000 AM coming from my "Shop the Block" offers and I want the non expiring travel vouchers. I am afraid to change my collection preferences to Cash because I would rather the travel certificates than e-vouchers, but I also don't want them landing in Dream if it turns out the travel agent is correct and then I'd have them "stuck" there and not be able to redeem travel certificates! I am in a bit of pickle as I was hoping to accumulate enough AM to pay for almost my whole vacation next year!

I booked our All Inclusive with Transat Travel at my local mall. I just paid off the remaining balance this afternoon for our trip to Cuba in February and I was absolutely ecstatic to have been able to accumulate $500 in travel certificates to slap on the balance. HOWEVER, the very experienced travel agent I was working with told me that we will only have until the end of this month to order travel certificates from Dream Mile accounts, and after Jan 1st they will only be doing the e-vouchers through Cash Account. I have all of my miles going to Dream, as I like that you can (could) redeem as many certificates as you want UP TO the pre-tax cost of the trip, and the travel certificates never expire. With the Cash miles option, you can only redeem 400-800 miles per person (depends on whether you book through a corporate office like Transat Travel (800) or a franchise office (400)). I have been searching for confirmation of that but can't find anythign on AM website.

I am bummed because I have 2000 AM coming from my "Shop the Block" offers and I want the non expiring travel vouchers. I am afraid to change my collection preferences to Cash because I would rather the travel certificates than e-vouchers, but I also don't want them landing in Dream if it turns out the travel agent is correct and then I'd have them "stuck" there and not be able to redeem travel certificates! I am in a bit of pickle as I was hoping to accumulate enough AM to pay for almost my whole vacation next year!
That is frustrating and not AT ALL what's on the FAQ pages from the Transat website If they change things at this point there will be a lot of us who are unhappy. This change only came into place August 13th and if they are already changing it ... URGH!

Save when you use AIR MILES® Travel Certificates
Beginning August 13, 2017, you can use your Dream Miles to order Travel Certificates in $100 denominations that can be used at Transat Travel towards your purchase of a new package vacation or cruise with select suppliers, excluding taxes and fees, and travel insurance. Travel Certificates do not expire, you can use them anytime. You can use as many Travel Certificates as you wish towards your travel purchase.

That is frustrating and not AT ALL what's on the FAQ pages from the Transat website If they change things at this point there will be a lot of us who are unhappy. This change only came into place August 13th and if they are already changing it ... URGH!

Save when you use AIR MILES® Travel Certificates
Beginning August 13, 2017, you can use your Dream Miles to order Travel Certificates in $100 denominations that can be used at Transat Travel towards your purchase of a new package vacation or cruise with select suppliers, excluding taxes and fees, and travel insurance. Travel Certificates do not expire, you can use them anytime. You can use as many Travel Certificates as you wish towards your travel purchase.

This fellow has been with Transat for 13 years and had numerous awards on display, so as much as I hope he was mistaken, I don't think the odds are in my favour. Although, knowing that they JUST changed to offering travel certificates in August, it does seem odd that it would be changing again so soon. I will be cautiously optimistic, especially since there is nothing at all on the website regarding any changes.

Soooooooooooooo not ready and now it starts to snow again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Have to get to
M& M;s---mini quiche, snacks
Sobeys --bacon on sale,one loaded offer
Walmart because the sons think it's fun to shop there before Christmas:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Bank --for cash as I never need it anymore with debit and need it for a gift.
Lord give me patience today!:worship:

Hugs Mel

This fellow has been with Transat for 13 years and had numerous awards on display, so as much as I hope he was mistaken, I don't think the odds are in my favour. Although, knowing that they JUST changed to offering travel certificates in August, it does seem odd that it would be changing again so soon. I will be cautiously optimistic, especially since there is nothing at all on the website regarding any changes.
Perhaps he was confused. There is a change coming but it is to allow online booking with the vouchers.

Don't let the awards fool you. The agents get them for selling particular packages, reaching sales targets or for attending education programs. Many of the education programs they have to pay to attend. They also get them for taking a number of trips to certain locations....I think they call them 'location experts'.

Hi Hon
I sincerely hope this is wrong and I am going to try and do a chat with airmiles today.
I have almost $600.00 in certificates,and another $400.00 to come from 2 shop the block cards.
Sometimes things get so confused with airmiles.
My miles are set to all DREAM.
I am hoping for a good outcome!:flower3:
Hugs Mel

Merry Christmas from Disneyland...just thought I would post an update about using our AM Disneyland ticket...we had one adult 5 day PH ticket that was the Canadian Resident and one regular adult 5 day PH ticket...yesterday was our first day in the park. We went to Disneyland and I took our passports to support the Canadian resident and I had them in my hand but the CM never asked to see them....they do take your picture and make you sign your ticket when you first use it. We had a great day in the park yesterday...we shopped a bit, window shopped a lot, met a lot of characters, rode the Haunted Mansion Nightmare Before Christmas overlay twice with fastpass (I have no idea why people wait in a 45 minute line when the FP was for an hour later (extra 15 minutes of no standing) and you walk right on) and saw the Christmas parade. The weather here is a little chilly...but not as cold as at home (Hamilton area)...and there is no snow!!!!!

Jacqueline (Donald My Hero)...I thought of you when we were waiting for the Christmas parade....Donald was out wandering and I got a great picture of him but when I tried to upload it, it said it was too big :sad1:...I wanted to brighten your day, so know that I was thinking of you.

Also, when visiting DL be aware of Photopass photographers....some of them need to go back to photography school...we waited almost 30 minutes for a picture in from of the Partners statue and I asked repeatedly to make sure both the statue and the castle were in the picture, I was assured they were...but when I checked my pictures last night Walt's head was cut off in one of the photos and my Mom is blocking Mickey in the other :sad2:. Guess we will need to try again while we are here

I hope everyone has a great Christmas :santa:....I think my Mom and I have found our new Christmas tradition...spending the holidays at Disneyland...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter