• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any FEMALES with a fave AR15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me neither, girl. Me neither. I don't get it. Guess I need to edit my post so as not to upset all of the delicate folks on here. Geez, I'll go now and change 'female' to 'girl'. Wonder what will happen then.
I had never heard that before either. I must be missing something.

so I am female is ok? but I am a female is bad, since that is being used as a noun? what the heck?? I have to think that you ladies are yanking our chain. you almost had me believing it. good one ladies.

3 MEN AND A BOAT, to start... regarding felt recoil, is it basically the same across AR15 brands or does it vary like in handguns? Is an upgraded trigger really necessary or will the standard issue trigger be fine? Geissele and Timney triggers seem to be a popular upgrade but adds $$. I don't have any experience so I feel like whatever comes with the model I choose, I will just get used to it as we do with anything else in life. Not sure you can answer this next one as I will probably decide this for myself in the store but... would an angled grip be better for small hands or a more vertical one?
Like Gumbo4x4 said, the recoil will mostly be affected by rifle weight and caliber. I didn't upgrade my trigger, just polished it out a bit. Some change out springs to lighten the pull, others fully upgrade to a $200 giesselle. The angled vs vertical grip is strictly personal preference, but they do make different sized grips which would help with smaller hands.

Felt recoil will be mainly a function of rifle weight. The lighter the gun, the harder it’ll kick. Likewise, if you opt for a high power round over the typical .223/5.56, the recoil will increase. Luckily, the base round is a bit of a pussycat, so I wouldn’t be real concerned if that’s the route you’re taking.

Definitely using the typical 5.56. In fact, I took advantage of the current rebate and ordered 1,000 rounds of Federal ammo recently. I'm definitely serious about the purchase. Have watched a TON of YouTube videos and the recoil looks pretty mild across the board but have only seen a few ladies shoot. The rest were men, such as yourselves, and they make it look easy. Only one girl, if memory serves, was an experienced shooter. They all seemed to handle it very well though.

I am a Canadian firearms enthusiast. I have tried several MSRs, including an ACR, a Tavor, and of course, several AR15s. I am an unabashed SIG fan—have you tried an MCX? Lighter than an AR, but with the familiar AR style controls. Feel free to ask me any questions that you might have.

I was going to say female—I am too old for this stuff.

Just checked the SIG site and they look to be out of my price range. I'm in the neighborhood of $1,500.

Again, you can say whatever you want. You know it can be offensive. That's all on you. There are tons of words people use that I excuse myself from. You know now, you can act however you want.
If I think it's ridiculous what someone finds offensive, then I won't care whether they find it offensive or not. Someone thinking "female" is offensive falls into that category for me.

Just checked the SIG site and they look to be out of my price range. I'm in the neighborhood of $1,500.

OK, how about an SIG M400 Elite? It is an AR-15 with a nice, skinny handguard, and includes a red dot sight(SKU RM400-16B-E-R). MSRP is $1359.

Ya'll want to be obtuse and disregard when someone says "please don't say that," is fine with me. People still use other words that I won't associate with. #shrug

I'm a female and I didn't take offense to the OP terminology in the title

I didn't take offense at all. I was just trying to clarify the issue. For those that say they don't care about other's feelings, welp, that's something I can deal with too!

Girls. Girls. Are u kidding Me?

Just kidding!

I was raised shooting targets. Have no interest in hunting. Women or females or girls or anyone with those parts are entitled to do as their male boy man counterparts do. Or anyone who identifies otherwise.

Hope u find what u are looking for
But I have to admit I always hope Bambi gets away!!!

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with Amber. I don't care for being called "a female" either.

I don't mind if it's used in a scientific way. Or as an adjective. Or even if "males" and "females" are being used as the division: "Males will change in this room, Females will change in the dressing room down the hall." Or in Pea-and-Me's example "A 90-year old female..."

However, I don't like it when it's used like "Men and females" or "guys and females" and lately I've seen it used that way relatively often:
Like "Are there going to be many females at this party? If not, I'm not going."
Or "The females are going shopping while us guys watch the game."

I don't even know why I don't like it... but it's kind of creepy.

If someone calls me a "45 year old female" or says "Their family consists of two males and 2 females" then there's no problem. But, "The females are in the kitchen..." bothers me.

Last edited:
This is the first I've heard of female (as a noun) being offensive. Good grief.

In medicine we will all be in trouble then, we use that term all the time. "A 90 year old female..."

Is male as a noun offensive too?
Good grief indeed.

OP, have you considered building your own from a stripped lower? I found it to be a great experience to get exactly what you want and assembling it gets you familiar with the rifle on day one.

I don't mind if it's used in a scientific way. Or as an adjective. Or even if "males" and "females" are being used as the division: "Males will change in this room, Females will change in the dressing room down the hall." Or in Pea-and-Me's example "A 90-year old female..."

However, I don't like it when it's used like "Men and females" or "guys and females" and I've seen that used a lot:

If someone calls me a "45 year old female" or says "Their family consists of two males and 2 females" then there's no problem. But, "The females are in the kitchen..." bothers me.
I can understand what you're saying. I never liked "Man and Wife". Man and Woman, fine. Husband and Wife, fine. Man and wife somehow seemed a little lopsided. Oh and I think there was something about "Obey" in there too. :laughing: But female as a noun in general, idk.

However, I don't like it when it's used like "Men and females" or "guys and females" and I've seen that used a lot:

Yes. Facts and/or descriptors - fine. BUT, are ya'll really so sheltered you don't know that using female in that way is the same as a certain word which describes anatomy in a very ugly way? I mean, read between what I'm saying here guys...its not nice, or polite, but it exists.

It all has to do with context IMO...the word female can certainly be used in a deragatory way, as can woman and girl. However, I’m getting the impression (not 100% sure since the thread has been edited) the OP was trying to get a female perspective or opinion on a purchase she is wanting to make. If someone finds that offensive they need to grow up, no matter how “old” they are.

Yes. Facts and/or descriptors - fine. BUT, are ya'll really so sheltered you don't know that using female in that way is the same as a certain word which describes anatomy in a very ugly way? I mean, read between what I'm saying here guys...its not nice, or polite, but it exists.
Smh. Not sheltered at all. And thought I was pretty up to date on a lot of things having a DD20. I am guessing, given your description here, at what you mean, but honestly, this is all news to me. (Off to ask DD what she knows.)

It all has to do with context IMO...the word female can certainly be used in a deragatory way, as can woman and girl. However, I’m getting the impression (not 100% sure since the thread has been edited) the OP was trying to get a female perspective or opinion on a purchase she is wanting to make. If someone finds that offensive they need to grow up, no matter how “old” they are.

I don't think (and I tried to make clear I didn't) that anyone had an issue with the way the OP used it. The OP in the thread which started this was simply looking for a gun of some sort suited to a woman. NBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter